InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ A Fight ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters, or any quotes I may use
 
CHAPTER NINE: A FIGHT
 
“Oh. My. God. Did you hear what happened?”
“She totally freaked out and ran off. Isamu had to chase her down for two hours”
“I heard she was saying weird things, and talking to like, herself. What a freak”
“She turned Isamu down, flat. She's such a moron.”
“I knew right when I saw her she was no good.”
Rin splashed her face with cold water and looked at her reflection in the mirror.
It didn't take long for the news of Rin's failed date to hit the high school halls. She had been listening to the not so quite whispers all day. It was days like this that made her wish a hole would just open up and shallow her onto darkness.
I wonder who spilled their guts. Even as mad as Linda was at me, she wouldn't do this.” Rin sighed bitterly, “It was probably Isamu, or that idiot Daichi.”
Picking her books up from the counter, she braced herself for the hallway and opened the door. Chatter and laugher filled the hallway, Rin was sure more then half of it was about her; her high school never had anything interesting going on. The usual gossip was about whatever poor soul made a fool of them self; gossip that usually lasted till the person stopped coming to school, or “new meat” came into view.
“Carnivores” Rin muttered as she made her way to her locker.
That's what high schoolers were, at least, the popular ones. They'd sit and wait for something to happen, and then beat it into the ground with ridicule, gossip and bitter laughter. It was a horrible sight, yet no one stopped it, or opposed it.
A girl bumped into Rin, looked up briefly and smiled sympathetically before murmuring sorry and hurrying on.
Rin smirked at the irony.
The girl was Jun Kaimaya. A 2nd year girl and the latest gossip before Rin and her disaster of a date. Jun was a bookworm and a klutz; that was no secret. But when she tripped and fell into the school pool, with an arm full of books; that was something to talk about.
“There she is!”
“Who?”
“Rin Higurashi. The girl what was on a date with Isamu Tanaka and like went mental.”
“Oh.”
Rin set her jaw but didn't turn around. Confronting someone would only draw attention to herself; attention she didn't want nor need. Reaching her locker, Rin quietly worked the combination and after four tries finally got the door open.
Suddenly someone bumped into the frustrated girl, causing her to drop her books.
“Watch it!” Rin snapped.
“Oh sorry Rin” a snide voice quipped. “Didn't see you there.”
Rin turned and watched a group of girls walk away, laughing loudly to themselves.
Rin gritted her teeth and picked up her books. Shoving them into her locker and took a deep breath before heading to her next class. Gym.
 
Rin leaned casually against the tall fence and closed her eyes while she waited for class to start. Last week their teacher informed them today was going to be different. A surprise. They were many speculations and lots of gossip about what was going to happen, but no one knew for sure.
Someone ran into Rin roughly, causing her to stumble; her dark eyes snapped open as she grabbed the fence to catch herself.
“Oh Rin. I'm sorry. Were you standing here?”
Rin counted to 10 then turned around and found herself face to face with Etsuko Kobayashi; most popular and meanest girl in the school.
And a bitch to boot” Rin thought bitterly.
Etsuko smiled sweetly, but her smile didn't reach her eyes. They were cold, and mocking.
“Hello Rin. Seeing anyone lately?”
Etsuko's posse of girls laughed loudly like it was the funniest thing in the world. Rin rolled her eyes but kept her mouth shut.
Etsuko covered her mouth with her hand, “Oh, I'm sorry. Was that secret?”
Rin leaned against the fence again, trying to ignore Etsuko's sinister voice, and the small crowd of girls that was starting to gather.
Vultures” Rin sighed silently, “Carnivores and vultures.”
Etsuko got right in Rin's face, “What's the matter Higurashi? Cat got your tongue? Now that you've got everyone's attention, don't have anything to say? No wild ranting?”
Rin bit her cheek. From some reason Etsuko had always hated her, and made sure everyone knew it. Now she had a reason to opening mock Rin and was taking full advantage of it.
“You always were stupid.”
Rin's fist connected with Etsuko's check before either of them realized what was happening.
Etsuko fell to the grass holding her check, her eyes widened in shock.
Rin stared down at the girl, her chest heaving as she tried to bridle her anger.
“Just leave me alone” Rin spat and turned to walk away.
Etsuko jumped to her feet, “Don't think you can just walk away from me!” she shouted.
Rin kept walking.
“Hey!” Etsuko grabbed Rin by the shoulder and whipped her around. Before Rin should move Etsuko slapped Rin full force across the face. The crack sounded throughout the field and all the girls gasped.
Rin turned back, her check red while Etsuko's was turning a yellowish green.
“I don't want to fight you Etsuko” Rin said quietly.
Etsuko smirked, “Too late for that Higurashi.”
She took a swing which Rin blocked and then gave a punch of her own. Etsuko stumbled back, “What the hell?!” she yelled.
Rin herself was mildly surprised. “Where did I learn that?”
Etsuko shoved Rin backwards, “What the hell are you doing? Think you can fight me? Think that'll make everyone stop talking about you?” she pushed Rin again.
Rin bit her tongue and said nothing, “Just walk away Rin. Just walk away.”
Rin turned and started walking back to the main building. Etsuko started to laugh, “That's right, just run away. Like you've done your whole life.”
Etsuko's taunts grew cruel and full of spite; nobody was laughing now.
Rin held her head high, struggling to keep her tears in check.
“Rin Higurashi, a coward and a nobody.”
Those words stopped Rin right in her tracks.
You're a nobody Rin. You're worthless piece of trash.
The man pushed Rin to the ground roughly but not a cry escaped her lips.
Rin slowly turned back around to face Etsuko, Shut up, you BITCH!
Etsuko's mouth dropped open.
I am so sick of listening to your endless and stupid insults of me! I don't know why you hate me. Maybe I did something to you in a past life, or you just need an easy target, so you can make yourself feel better by degrading other person. But I am done listening to it!
Etsuko stepped up to Rin and slapped her face again, Who the hell do you think you are?”
I want you to learn to protect yourself Rin. In case I am not there. I'm going to teach you to fight. So you will always be safe.”
Something in Rin snapped and she grabbed Etsuko's hand, twisting it backwards, “I'm the girl that's gonna kick your ass.”
 
Linda looked up from her desk as she heard people running in the hallways, their voices loud. “Fight! Fight! There's a fight on the field!”
Linda's teacher quickly excused herself and went out into the hallway while her class rushed over to the windows. They had a perfect view of the gym field below.
“Hey! It's Etsuko! She's fighting with one of the girls!”
Linda leaned forward and stained to see. Rin was in the same gym class of Etsuko and she was afraid that girl might be Rin. She was right.
“Oh my god Rin” Linda whispered but one of the girl's heard her.
“Rin? Rin Higurashi? That's who Etsuko's fighting?”
With this new information all the class members leaned forward more eagerly, trying to see the fight.
“Hey!” a boy shouted, “Rin's fighting back!”
Linda's heart leaped, “What? No way. Rin doesn't have a violent bone in her body. She doesn't even know how to fight!”
But as she watched the fight she saw that the boy was right. Rin was matching Etsuko, blow for blow.
Everyone knew Etsuko was a skilled fighter; both of her brothers were champion street fighters and taught her everything she knew. But down on the field, it looked like Rin was really giving her a run for her money.
 
Nobody said a word as Kagome drove home. Rin sat next to her in the front seat and Yanna and Kit sat quietly in the back. They were usually squabbling about something, but this time they could tell it was the time to be silent.
Kagome was getting ready to cook dinner when she received a call from the school. Worried Rin had fainted again; Kagome piled Yanna and Kit into the car and rushed to the school. When she arrived she was taken straight to the nurse's office; and instead of finding Rin lying unconscious on a bed, she was sitting in a chair holding an ice pack to the side of her head and had a band-aid over a cut on her left eyebrow.
Kagome was speechless.
The principle arrived and explained that Rin and Etsuko Kobayashi had been fighting out in the field during gym class. Etsuko was in another room waiting for her mother as well. Ever since the principle said “fight” Kagome's lips went into a straight line, and she never said a word. Even as they entered the house, her lips hadn't moved. Yanna and Kit went straight to their room and Rin followed Kagome into the kitchen, “Momma I-”
“Don't!” Kagome snapped, “I don't want to hear it Rin. Just....” she sighed, “We'll talk about it when your father gets here.”
Rin sighed and went outside; to the Tree of Ages.
Sitting at the trees base Rin pulled her knees up and crossed her arms over them. She buried her face in her arms and cried.
 
Sesshomaru stopped, “She's here.”
Turning abruptly he ran in the opposite direction. Towards the tree. Approaching the tree he slowed to a soft walk, “What is wrong? She's afraid!”
He sat down and leaned against the tree, “What's wrong?” he asked softly.
I so glad to hear your voice.” Rin's voice was soft and full of sorrow.
Sesshomaru felt a twinge at his heart at her broken heart, “What has happened? Why are you sad?”
Because of what's happening to me. I don't understand it. And it's scaring me.”
Sesshomaru growled to himself, “I haven't been there to protect her.”
Everything is justgoing wrong. And I don't know how to fix it. I got in a fight today at school.”
“Were you injured?”
No. Not too bad anywaysIt was strange. I never knew I could fight like that, but every move came to me. It was like instinct.”
A small smirked played at Sesshomaru's lips as he felt a tiny swell of pride. He remembered when he taught her to defend herself. She was just a child, but was eager to learn and was quite successful.
He heard her sigh, “I have to go now. My father's home and mom wanted me to talk to him.”
Sesshomaru frowned, “InuYashawhy haven't you protected her?”
Looking up into the night sky, the dog demon sighed in sorrow and in pain.
 
Rin slowly dragged herself into the house, dread filling her heart with every step. She peeked into the living room and saw her parents sitting on the couch, talking quietly.
InuYasha's voice sounded agitated but she couldn't quite catch the words.
His head snapped up and he locked eyes with Rin, “Come in Rin.” he said; his voice now softly.
Rin walked over meekly and knelt in front of her parents.
“What happened today Rin?” Kagome asked quietly.
Rin half shrugged and InuYasha touched her shoulder, “Rin, what happened?”
“Etsuko was being her usual self. She was trying to pick a fight. And I just couldn't take it anymore, I finally fought back!” Rin's voice rose with each word.
InuYasha nodded in understanding, “I see. Well….Rin, you have to understand....fighting, for whatever reason, is just not acceptable at school.”
Rin was sure she saw him grimace as he spoke; as if saying the words caused him pain. “You've been suspending for a month.” Kagome cut in “But I'm going to go and speak with your principle. See if she's willing to lift or alter it. But until then…”
Rin nodded, “I understand. And I am sorry.”
She stood and gave Kagome and InuYasha a hug, “Please forgive me.”
Kagome smiled, “No need Rin. We really do understand; we had our share of bullies back when we were your age as well.”
“By the way” InuYasha pointed towards the stairs, “Linda's up in your room, waiting for you.”
Rin smiled her thanks and ran up the stairs.
Walking into her room she saw her friend lying on her bed, reading a magazine.
“Took you long enough.”
Linda rolled over and looked at her friend, a serious expression on her face.
“Nice to see you too” Rin said softly before she turned to her closet and started to change her clothes.
Linda threw the magazine on the floor and sat up, “I saw you today. Out on the field.”
Rin grunted softly.
“Why didn't you tell me you could fight?”
Rin sat down next to Linda on the bed, “I didn't know I could Linda. I was going to walk away. I was on my way to the main building then....I don't know what come over me. I had one of those...weird flashbacks again. And I was suddenly really angry.”
“Another flashback?”
Rin nodded, “Yes. I saw it, as if I was me. And my name was used. Somebody told me, a man, told me he as going to teach me to fight. So I could protect myself. Then...every move came naturally. Like instinct.”
Rin stood and walked over to her desk, picking up her brush she began to absentmindedly brush her hair, “They're getting stronger. I'm starting to feel, the emotions that are in the flashbacks. Like today, I was a little child and I was angry. And every time I see one it becomes clearer.
Linda frowned at her, “This sounds like you've got suppressed memories Rin.”
Rin laughed, “Suppressed what?”
“When something extremely tragic or shocking happens in a person's life they tend to shut the memories out, suppress them. But eventually in later years they come back. Resurface.”
Rin looked at her friend strangely, “Since when have you become a doctor?”
Linda leaned forward, looking earnest, “Will you come with me to see my sister?”
“What for?”
“She's psychologist. And she does this technique with hypnosis. To look at things you have forgotten.”
Rin frowned, “Are you saying you think I'm crazy?”
“No!” Linda shook her head, “No, not at all. I'm just….I'm worried about you Rin. You've been having these `flashbacks' or whatever you want to call them, more recently and your dream, you're starting to see it when you're awake. You've been hallucinating.”
Rin looked at Linda sharply, “Oh, is that what you call it?”
Linda sighed, “Rin, you've started to say things...weird things.....and you look like you're talking to an actually person. And what about that man you thought you saw?”
Rin glared angrily, “Must you bring that up?! So I thought I saw somebody I knew. I was wrong. It doesn't mean I'm crazy.”
“There was no one there Rin!” Linda yelled. “You didn't mistake someone for somebody else…because there was nobody else there. You and Isamu were alone.”
She sighed touched Rin's shoulder gently, “Look, I'm not saying that you're crazy. I'm just worried about you and I want to help. This could be something serious. Please.”
Her voice dropped to a whisper, “Please let me help you.”
Rin stared at her friend a long time before slightly nodded, “Fine. I'll go.”
 
A/N: Please review.