InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ GRASS? ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: GRASS?!
 
InuYasha walked sleepily down the stairs in went straight for the kitchen with one thing on his mind. “Coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeeoffeecoffeecoffeeoffeecoffeecoffeeoffeeco ffeecoffee.”
He turned the coffeemaker on and pulled a cup out of the cupboard. Sitting down at the table he chuckled at the irony. He, InuYasha, once a great half-demon and wielder of the power fang Tetsusaiga; one who answered to no one and was lord of himself----Couldn't live with his coffee.
“How pathetic” he mumbled.
Parts of him still wished he'd stayed a half-demon, or had even changed to a full-demon. That he was still a strong and feared creature. Instead of the pitiful human he was now, craving that damn coffee. He'd always start to wonder why he did change.
“Good morning InuYasha” Kagome appeared at his side and kissed his check.
Then he'd remembered.
Watching his wife in the morning, starting the day with a smile and a kiss; was just the reminder he needed and he no longer wondered why he was what he was.
InuYasha muttered a greeting back and laid his head down on the table. As he started to close his eyes a white piece of paper on the floor caught his eye and he bent down the grab it.
It was from Rin.
“Kagome” InuYasha said softly, his voice no longer groggy.
Kagome whipped around; InuYasha's voice was never so clear this early.
InuYasha handed her the paper, “It's from Rin”
Kagome bit her lip, and took the paper with trembling hands. She quietly read it and relief filled her dark eyes, “Oh, she just went over to Linda's early this morning. She'll be back after school.”
InuYasha raised his eyebrows. As smart as Kagome seemed, he wondered how she could so stupid. “Do be foolish Kagome.”
Kagome had turned back to the stove, “What do you mean?”
“Are you telling me you really think she went to Linda's?”
Kagome stopped stirring the pan but didn't turn around, “Why would she lie InuYasha?”
InuYasha threw up his hands, fully awake now, “Why won't she?! Come one Kagome! We lied to her for the past 8 years of her life; wouldn't you feel a bit angry? You know as well as I do where she's gone.”
Kagome turned around, tears in her eyes, “No, she wouldn't. She wouldn't leave just like that InuYasha.”
“You're being stupid!” InuYasha snapped.
Kagome stared at him in amazement. He hadn't spoken to her like that in years.
InuYasha closed his eyes and took a deep breath, “Look, I'm going to go out and check the old well, you call Linda's mom and see if she's been there?” he gently touched her face, “Okay?”
Kagome nodded.
InuYasha turned and went out the side door; as walked across the courtyard he growled in frustration. He still hadn't gotten his coffee.
 
Kagome picked up the phone and dialed Linda's home.
Linda's mother answered.
“Hi, this is Kagome Higurashi…I'm doing fine, how are you?....that's good. I'm sorry to be calling so early, but is Rin over there?...Oh…Do you know if Rin was with her?.....I see……no, there's no problem. Rin just left a note and I wanted to make sure she got there….no you don't have to call Linda, I'm sure she's with her. Thank you….mmmhhmm….goodbye.”
Kagome hung up the phone and leaned against the counter, “Where are you Rin?”
 
InuYasha stopped cold when he saw the well door; it was unlocked. In one leap he had the door yanked open and was inside. He went down to the well and peered inside. Nothing.
Stepping back his foot crunched on something and he looked down. It was a silver charm bracelet; he immediately recognized it as Rin's. Sango and Miroku had given it to her for her 16th birthday.
Picking it up InuYasha looked back up at the well wall; he leaned in closer and noticed it had cracked and was bent slightly. InuYasha sighed deeply and sat back on the ground. “Damn it.”
 
Rin groaned and opened her eyes. They opened wider when she realized she was at the bottom of the well. “I fell in. Smart Rinreal smart.”
She pushed herself up and winced slightly as pain shot through her left shoulder. Pulling her sweatshirt up, she examined her arm and saw a dark bruise was beginning to form. “At least I didn't break anything.”
Bending down Rin put the black box into her backpack and swung it up on her right shoulder. She looked up and frowned, “Now how am I gonna get out of here?”
Turning in a circle she saw a makeshift ladder, ended just above her head, “There's irony for you. Old well, locked up for who knows how many years, and it's got a ladder in it. And to think I fell in. I could've just climbed in!” Rin grumbled as she made her way up.
Reaching up to grab the top of the well she noticed her bracelet was gone, “Oh no!” she looked over her shoulder to see if it lay at the bottom but she didn't see it. “Must have slipped off when I fell in. I hope so; I really don't want to lose that.”
Pulling herself up to the top, she leaned over, trying to catch her breath, “This stupid backpack is heavier then it looks. She pulled it off her shoulder and let it fall to the grass….
Rin's eyes widened, “GRASS?!”
Her head shot up and she gasped, “Holy….”
Stretched out before was a vast meadow, surrounded by a thick forest. Rin scrambled over the edge of the well and dropped to the ground. “Lucy” she mumbled, “We are so not home.”
InuYasha quietly stood at the living room window; it was mid-afternoon and he had yet to speak or move. When he came in from the well he just went to the window and stared out it. Lost in thought.
Kagome approached him and touched his shoulder, “InuYasha?”
He didn't move.
“InuYasha please talk to me. Tell me what's going on.” Kagome pleaded though she was sure what he was thinking. He thought Rin had gone through the well.
Placing her head his back she wrapped her arms around his chest and hugged him tightly, “Are you sure she went?” she whispered.
InuYasha sighed deeply, the fist sound he'd made in hours and nodded curtly. Kagome bit her lip as tears filled her eyes, “How?”
InuYasha simply held his hand out, the silver bracelet glistened in the sunlight. Kagome carefully picked it up, “You found this out there?”
“Yes”
Kagome stepped back, “That doesn't mean she went through, she could've gone to the well, then left and it just fell off!”
InuYasha closed his eyes; he knew Kagome didn't want to believe Rin had left, but now she was just grasping anything she could find. It was getting ridicules.
“Kagome-”
The doorbell rang and Kagome rushed to get it; not wanted to hear what InuYasha had to say. When she opened it and saw Linda standing there any hope she had that Rin was still in their time was dashed.
“Hey Kagome!” Linda said brightly, “Is Rin here?”
Kagome didn't trust her voice, she knew the moment she opened she opened her mouth she'd start crying. Luckily InuYasha came to her rescues. Like always.
“No Linda, I'm sorry. Rin left early this morning to visit some family out of town.”
“Oh” Linda looked slightly hurt Rin hadn't told her.
“Rin wanted us to tell you she's sorry she didn't tell you. It was a last minute thing and she didn't have time to say goodbye to anyone.”
Linda brightened slightly, “Okay. Tell her to call me when you talk to her okay?”
InuYasha shut the door and turned to Kagome, “Now do you believe me?” he asked quietly.
Kagome's lip started to tremble, “Yes” she whispered.
InuYasha opened his arms and held her close, “Don't worry Kagome” he whispered into her hair.
“We'll find her. I promise.”
 
Rin wondered through the forest aimlessly. Still trying to grasp the concept her Gramps had been right and there was another world inside the well. She came upon a tree and a smile spread across her face. It looked just like her tree.
Running up to it she dropped her backpack on the ground and threw her arms around the old tree.
“I'd know you anywhere” she murmured happily. But her happiness was short lived.
“What are you doing human?”
Rin gasped and turned around.
Standing at the edge of the forest was the most beautiful man she'd ever seen.
He had strange tattoos on his face and right arm. Dressed in white with red patches in various places, and armor over his shoulder; he looked like royalty. Two swords hung at his side, held by yellow and blue sashes. He looked to be 6 foot or so, with a strange fluffy white thing wrapped over his right shoulder.
Rin snickered to herself as she looked at his face, “Is he wearing eye shadow?” Her face grew serious as she saw his eyes, “His eyesthey look like…”
“This Sesshomaru asked you a question.”
“I-I thought I was lost” Rin stuttered. “Then I saw this tree and I recognized it. I was just happy I found something I knew”
The man came closer, his head held high in an almost haughty way, “How pathetic. You humans have such weak tolerances for distance and being alone.”
Rin frowned, “Well excuse me!” she snapped. “At least I'm not a jerk!”
In a flash the man had his hand around her neck and she was pinned to the tree, “You dare to speak to the Lord of the Western Lands with such disrespect?!”
Rin squirmed and tried to free herself, “Let me go!”
The man looked closely at Rin's face and his eyes widen slightly.
He let Rin go and she dropped to the base of the tree. “What's the matter with you?!” Rin yelled, “You could have killed me you freak!”
The man's eye resumed their usual size and he regarded her coolly, “I have no need to waste my time with you.” He turned and walked away.
Rin groaned in anger and continued to rub her sore neck.
 
As Sesshomaru walked away he realized how close he'd come to hurting the one person he swore he'd never cause pain to. Rin
He'd sensed her presence near and thought she had come to the tree again. When he reached the tree he saw a young human girl hugging the tree. Curious to know why humans had returned to the forest he approached her.
When she turned around he realized she was dressed in a strange manner. With blue pants that were much too tight and a strange black covering over her upper body.
He spoke to her as he would any other human and she responded forcefully. Angered and slightly surprised a human would engage an argument with him he grabbed her and shoved her against her tree.
As she struggled to free herself Sesshomaru took a closer look at her face; into her eyes. And was shocked at what he saw
Rin
He dropped her as if her touch burned and left her alone.
Now as he walked he wondered if it was so wise to leave her alone. She was a grown woman now yes. But she had not been in such a dangerous time before.
Hearing a woman's scream confirmed his thoughts and he raced back to the tree, and where the village used to stand, “What have you come back?”
 
Rin stormed off, her backpack dragging behind her. She was too tired and hungry to care if it was getting dirty or ripped. All she wanted was food and an explanation to what the hell was going on. Coming to a clearing she stopped short; before her laid the ruins of a town. Burned and covered with sand; signs of time long past since someone lived there.
Sighing deeply she continued forward, in hope she would find someone who would help her, “Unlike that jerk back at the tree.”
She touched her neck again, “I wonder if he was really going to kill me?”
A low growl brought her out of her thoughts and she stumbled back, “Oh crap.”
A large creature stood in front of her, its fang barred. For every step Rin took back it took two forward. It leaped and a screaming escaping the young girl's lips.
 
A/N: PLEASE REVIEW!