InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Need You ❯ Goodbye ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha, its characters or any quotes I may use.
 
CHAPTER EIGHTTEEN: GOODBYE
 
Rin ran as fast as she could through the forest. She wasn't paying attention to where she was going and ended up tripping and falling face first into the ground.
Growling in frustration she pushed herself back and up on her knees. Leaning back she started brushing her face off, but when she caught sight of her hands she realized she was doing more harm then good. Her hands were covered in dirt and she was sure her face was now covered too. Tears mixed with the dirt and she sighed.
“Look at me” she mumbled, “Here I am; sitting in some unknown, and God forsaken, place. Sitting in the middle of a dark forest, covered in dirt. Linda would certainly get a kick out of this. I can just hear her now, `Honestly Rin. God must think life is Cable and your life is his favorite show. I bet his laughing at you right now.'”
Rin looked up to the sky, “Are you happy now? Are you having a good laugh?!”
She knew it wouldn't change anything, but it sure did feel good to let all her anger out.
She stood, “Is this what you wanted? Me out in the middle of nowhere; alone!”
Shaking an angry fist at the sky Rin charged up for another yell but a voice behind her made her stop cold.
“Rin? Is that you?”
She knew that voice.

InuYasha watched the fire intently. The light breeze made the flames dance in the night air, so bluntly beautiful it made one stop and stare.
InuYasha looked up to the forest again and sighed. Shippo, Sango and Miroku had left about an hour before, to scout out the area. They were due back soon. They made Kagome stay and sleep; everyone knew this was hardest on her. InuYasha looked over at his wife; her face was peaceful in her sleep. InuYasha's head snapped up when he heard Miroku approach, the rings on his staff jingling slightly. He stood ready to greet the couple and the fox demon.
Instead he dropped his jaw.
Coming towards him were three figures. Shippo with Miroku's staff and Sango with her Hiraikotsu walked quietly beside Miroku, who held a fourth person in his arms.
It was Rin.

Sesshomaru followed Rin's sent all night. It finally became stronger and he knew he was getting close to the girl. With a soft growl of satisfaction he continued with his pursuit. Jaken was far behind, but still faithfully following “Or foolishly” Sesshomaru thought with a slightly smirk.
Suddenly he stopped; Rin was on her knees and yelling at the sky. Rin turned her face upward again; she was facing his direction but her eyes were locked on the sky. Sesshomaru felt his heart skip a beat; the moonlight reflected on her angel-like face, giving her a heavenly glow. Though it was smeared with dirt and tears, she looked beautiful. Sesshomaru was about to step out and confront her when he smelt another approach her.
“Rin? Is that you?”
Rin turned around, “Miroku?” her voice was barely audible but Sesshomaru's hearing picked it up easy.
Dropping his staff beside him Miroku fell to his knees before Rin, “I can't believe I've found you!” he cried.
Rin looked at him then threw her arms around him, “I'm so glad to see you!”
Sesshomaru tensed and glared, waiting for the lecherous priest to make a grab but he never did. He just held her tight and gently. He helped her stand and took her backpack from her, “Come on Rin, there are some people who are looking for you”
“Mom?”
“And you dad. Sango's here too.”
Rin burst into tears, “I'm so sorry” she sobbed, “I didn't mean to hurt you guys. I just had to know!”
“We understand Rin, its okay.”
Rin leaned against Miroku's shoulder, but suddenly her body went limp. Miroku dropped the backpack to catch Rin in his arms. Holding her bridal style he looked down at her dirt and tear streaked face, “Poor girl” he murmured, “You look exhausted. Where have you been all this time?”
“She has been with me.” Sesshomaru finally stepped out and walked over to a surprised Miroku. He saw Miroku tense and causally waved his hand, “You have no need to fear me monk. You carry something of value to me.”
Miroku tightened his grip on Rin, “You can't take her Sesshomaru. She can't stay here. Not with how dangerous this place has-”
“Be quiet monk. I am not here to take her away.”
Miroku looked surprised, “You're not?”
“No. I was bringing her back to the well when she ran from me. Now I am here to finish what I started.”
Miroku visibly relaxed and Sesshomaru smirked, “You trust me then?”
“No” Miroku said flatly, “But I know you care about Rin, and would do what's best for her. And that is making her leave.”
Sesshomaru nodded curtly and looked around, “How far are you from your camp?”
Miroku nodded behind him with his head, “Not too far that way. Shippo and Sango are with me.”
“Where are InuYasha and his mate?”
“Farther on, at the camp.”
Sesshomaru nodded and started to walked but Miroku stopped him, “Here”
Sesshomaru looked down to see Miroku handing Rin to him, “You carry her. I'll get her bag.”
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow but took the girl none the less.
Miroku smirked, “What? I can't carry both of them and we both know you wouldn't carry the bag.”
He swung Rin's bag over his shoulder, retrieved his staff and retreated back to where he originally came from; with Sesshomaru close behind him.
As he walked Sesshomaru glance down at Rin. He carried her in the same fashion he did when she was a child; cradled in his right arm. Only now that she was taller, her face was buried up in the crook his neck and her legs dangled farther down. But he could still hold her.
Her gentle breathing started to send shivers down the demon lord's back and he wasn't sure how to stop it. He wasn't sure he even wanted to.
Not even realizing his own actions, Sesshomaru held Rin closer to his body; more content then he ever remembered being.
Miroku briefly glanced over his shoulder and smiled sadly, “It's going to be a lot harder to let her go then you think Sesshomaru.”

Shippo and Sango paced back and forth, passing each other every ten seconds. They were waiting at the meeting place Miroku had appointed, and had been there for the past twenty minutes. The monk was late and Sango was getting worried.
Shippo sniffed the air “He's coming!” he exclaimed happily.
Sango sighed, “Good, is he okay?”
“I think so…but” Shippo suddenly stiffed and sniffed the air again; a slight growl rumbling in his chest.
“What is it?” Sango whispered.
Shippo nodded towards the deep forest, “He's not alone.”
“Who else is there?”
Shippo's fangs showed as his lips curled into a snarl, “Sesshomaru.”

Miroku broke into the clear and was surprised to see Sango and Shippo waiting in a battle stance, “Whoa. What's going on?”
Before Sango could answer, Miroku threw up his hands, “No wait. I know what.” He tilted his head back slightly, “He's with me.”
The two stared at him in astonishment, “Are you serious?” Shippo gasped.
Miroku nodded, “Yes. And you won't believe who he had with him.”

Sesshomaru paused and let the monk go on alone. It was against his better judgment, but he couldn't just let Rin again go without saying goodbye. And this way no one would see.
Not even Rin.
Sesshomaru stopped and listened to her heartbeat. It was going strong at a steady paced; matching his beat for beat.
The corners of his mouth turned up slightly as he looked down at her, “I'll never regret bringing you back to life Rin” he whispered.
“Nothing I ever did with you was regretted; except for sending you through the well 8 years ago. And now I'm doing it again.” he started forward again, “But this is for you. To protect you.”
He broke into the clearing and stood behind Miroku, who was at the moment explaining Sesshomaru's presence to a woman and a fox demon.
The woman glared at Sesshomaru's hold on Rin, but seemed to accept the monk's answer. The fox demon took the backpack and staff from Miroku, who in turn looked at Sesshomaru and held out his arms, “I'll take her now Sesshomaru. It'd be better if InuYasha didn't see you. And it'd be easier for Rin if she doesn't see you when she wakes up.”
Sesshomaru literally forced himself to release his grip on the girl.
Safely cradling in Miroku's arms Sesshomaru forgot himself a moment and brushed a strain of hair out of Rin's face, “Goodbye” he whispered.
He turned and disappeared into the forest.

Sango and Miroku exchanged glances and Sango shrugged. They were puzzled by Sesshomaru's action, but thought nothing more of it.
Shippo, on the other hand, had heard Sesshomaru's whisper, and it left the young demon in serious thought as they traveled back to Kagome and InuYasha.

InuYasha jumped to his feet and ran to his companions.
When he first saw Miroku approach he thought his mind was playing tricks on him, and he was just imagining Rin.
But now he stood face to face with the group and saw that Rin was real.
“How?” InuYasha whispered.
“Sesshomaru was bringing her back” Miroku answered softly.
InuYasha looked at the monk sharply then carefully took the limp form of the girl from his friend's arms, “Don't wake Kagome yet.” he instructed as he watched his adopted…no his daughter.
“Let her sleep some more. Then we'll let her know we found her.”
They all settled by the fire. InuYasha sat next to Kagome and laid Rin on his other side. Sango and Miroku curled up together on the other side of the fire and Shippo sat next to Kagome, still deep in thought.
“You have to tell her everything now InuYasha” Sango stated.
InuYasha nodded slowly, “I know. I think Kagome will agree this time. But no matter what we tell her, we can't stay here. It's still too dangerous. As soon as it's light we're heading back to the well.”
“How will you keep her from coming here again?” Miroku asked.
InuYasha sighed deeply and ran his hands over his face, “I'll destroy the well.”
“She might hate you for that” Shippo finally spoke up.
“I know” InuYasha looked down at Rin's still form, “But at least she'll be safe.”

A/N: PLEASE REVIEW!