InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Wanted to Make a Long Title That Had No Real Connection to the Story and Here It Is ❯ Chapter 10

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 10
 
Kagome stopped after she reached a small clearing within the trees. Turning around she frowned when Gimli put his finger in his mouth.
 
“Did you have to do that Dwarf?” She questioned him as he spit the sticky substance on the ground.
 
“Yes,” Gimli told her looking up at the half elf, “Because now we know they were chased by Orcs.”
 
“Well I could have told you that stupid. Now you could be contracting a terrible disease no thanks to you.” Kagome threw her hands in the air and stomped away ignoring the Dwarf and stepping over to the other members of the small traveling band. She heard Aragorn comment on the tracks as she too looked down at the ground taking note of the unusually large tracks herself. Walking up next to Legolas she looked around as he was, admiring the scenery.
 
“This forest is old, very old. Full of memory… and anger.”
 
“But a lovely place to build a summer home, don't you think?” Looking to the elf she saw his questioning glance and decided to elaborate. “Well, it's a bit of bad lighting yes, but with the rumors floating around that this place in haunted and all we wouldn't have to worry about intruders. Except the stray hobbit and occasional orc.”
 
“For once I agree with her.” Gimli said raising his ax. “You wouldn't have to worry about transporting your own wood; you'd have plentiful amounts all around you!”
 
The trees started groaning and Aragorn quickly turn towards his three companions, “Gimli! Lower you ax!” He whispered harshly. Gimli did as told and Legolas smirked.
 
“They have feelings, my friend. The Elves began it. Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak.”
 
“Which must have taken a very, long, time.” Kagome whispered into Legolas' ear which made him faintly blush. Luckily, the half elf missed it choosing instead to giggle quietly at Gimli's squirrel comment. Hoping to quickly put distance between himself and the female, Legolas ran forward a short distance and called to Aragorn in Elvish.
 
Something's out there.
 
“Duh, it's a forest.” Kagome whispered to no one earning her a glare from her brother, she turned around quickly whistling to make herself seem more innocent, didn't work.
 
What do you see?
 
“The White Wizard approaches.”
 
“Don't let him speak; he will put a spell on us.” Aragorn gripped his sword, Gimli his ax and Legolas readied his bow. Kagome sided up with Gimli.
 
“We should bet on something.” Gimli gave her a look.
 
“We must be quick.”
 
“What would we bet?” Gimli asked her.
 
“I don't know but we should bet something.”  Kagome reached behind her and grabbed her sword (with her left hand, and let me tell, that was a sight to see as her sword was still positioned to be grabbed with her right hand) to turn around with Legolas and Aragorn. Gimli still slightly confused on the whole betting subject, was slow in turning with the others.
 
A brilliant white light was shinning in their eyes as they attacked and failed. “You are tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits.” A strange voice said.
 
“Where are they?” Aragorn called to the voice.
 
“They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?”
 
“Depends on who they met and the circumstance of the meeting.” Most everyone ignoring Kagome's comment as Aragorn spoke again.
 
“Who are you? Show yourself!” Gandalf stepped out of the light smiling at the rag-tag group.
 
“It cannot be.” Aragorn said quietly. Kagome slowly started walking up to the wizard with her mouth hanging slightly open. Legolas and Gimli bowed low.
 
“Forgive me, I mistook you for Saruman.”
 
“I am Saruman. Or rather, Saruman as he should have been.”
 
Kagome stopped on mere feet away from the Wizard, “But you had fallen.” She whispered.
 
“Through Fire and Water.”
 
}{GANDALF FLASHBACK}{
 
“I have been sent back… until my task is done.” Kagome unable to hold back any longer, ran up to the wizard and hugged him tightly.
 
“I'm glad you're back Gandalf.” She whispered into his beard.
 
Gandalf looked slightly confused for a moment, “Gandalf. Yes that is what they used to call me. Gandalf the Grey.” Pulling the half elf away from his midsection he continued, “I am Gandalf the White. And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.” Smiling, he pulled Kagome completely off him and started walking into the forest. Aragorn and Gimli picked up their weapons before following. Kagome walked over the where her sword lay and had Legolas help her put it back on. Yet when she was finished she didn't move. Legolas seeing her hesitation pushed on her lower back to get her moving. He was surprised however, when she grabbed his hand when he made a move to walk forward. Looking towards the girl in question, she kept her eyes averted and pulled him along after her as she jogged to catch up to the others.
 
Aragorn glanced down at the joined hands as Gandalf stopped. Not that he opposed of anything the could and most likely would happen between his sister and Legolas, but now that he was officially related to Kagome, he had to watch her much more; which, unfortunately for him, meant going into over protective older brother mode, which was quite interesting considering that he was younger than her. However, he was required to give Legolas `The Speech', when things got more serious, but Legolas was a good friend so he most likely already knew the consequences.
 
“-we must travel to Edoras with all speed.”
 
“We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the King.” Aragorn said with half an ear still watching the soon to be happy couple.
 
“Yes, and it will not be easily cured.”
 
“Then have we come all this way for nothing?” Gimli asked enraged. “Are we to leave the Hobbits here… in the horrible, dark, dank tree infested… I mean charming. Quite charming forest.” He tried to correct himself when the trees started to groan at him, again.
 
“It was more that mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones… that starts an avalanche in the mountains.” Gandalf said, facing in some random direction that would no doubt lead them to the edge of the forest.
 
“One thing you have not changed, dear friend. You still speak in riddles.” Both men laughed at Aragorn's comment, because well, it's true.
 
“A thing is about to happen that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up, and find that they are strong.” Gandalf continued in riddles.
 
“Strong?!”
 
 
“Gimli! Not again! Whether you like it or not, the Ents are going to be a part of this war. And you need to understand Merry and Pippin are safe, much safer than you'll be if you so much as say one more word in my presence.” Legolas grinned at the Dwarf as Kagome pulled him out of the forest after Aragorn and Gandalf. Gimli only shook his head and followed the elves.
 
Gandalf let out a long and high whistle that seemed to break eardrums while staying musically pleasing at the same time. I don't know whether to cover my ears or hum along…
 
Legolas dropped Kagome's hand when he saw a white horse in the distance. Kagome frowned at the loss of contact but blushed when she saw her brother watching her expressions. Choosing to ignore her annoying brother for the minute followed Legolas' line of sight. “That is one of the Mearas… unless my eyes are cheated by some spell.” Kagome - with her horrible Elvish eye sight - finally saw Gandalf's hose running towards the wizard. The horse What is his name? came up to them and bowed his head low for Gandalf to pet him.
 
“Shadowfax. He is the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many years.” How could I forget Shadowfax? Great horse, wait, except for that one time. Right, that's why I don't remember, I choose to forget. Kagome decided not to attempt to be nice to his horse and walked over to where Aragorn was waiting to help her on the horse. She got on first, followed by Aragorn mounting behind her.
 
“What was that look about? Do you not like Shadowfax?” Aragorn asked quietly, as to not anger her for maybe bringing up something that she didn't want to talk about.
 
“We don't have the best history, that's for sure.”
 
“Want to talk about it?”
 
“No.” Kagome looked over at the white horse who seemed to be glaring at her. “Alright it happened like this, Gandalf and I were just out somewhere one day, some fifteen years ago or so, when he asked me that date. When I gave it to him he told me he needed to go somewhere. I, of course, in my mild adolescent state did not want to be left alone for some unjustified reason, and I went along with him. I remember through out the whole trip that horse was giving me the evil eye, but it was probably because I gave him some rotten food the day before. Mind you I didn't know that it was rotten I would figure that out later that day. So anyways, we arrived and I wasn't allowed into the establishment so Gandalf had me watching the horses in the stables. Ten seconds after we got inside I had decided that I wanted to ride Shadowfax. And I probably would have been able to if I didn't give him that rotten apple the day before and was about to give him another. After trying to get him to eat the apple, he grabbed it in his teeth, thinking that he was taking the apple and not spitting it out I went around to his side and hoped on. Wrong choice. He bucked me off into the wall, making me unable to stand up for a week. Of course when Gandalf came back I wasn't in my right state, but he didn't say anything and still hasn't, so I'm not going to tell him. Anyways, I think Shadowfax just doesn't like me now because of the food incident.”
 
Aragorn only grabbed the reins from around her trying to keep the grin off his face that was threatening to ever take him.
 
“Fine then, don't comment, but don't you going blabbing that to Gandalf. I don't want him to know yet.” A quick glance at the wizard told them both that he already knew, but wasn't going to say anything about it yet. Instead the Wizard started at a brisk gallop following by the siblings then the mismatched pair.
 
Upon reaching the gates the all slowed to a stop to look at the small village. “Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over Théoden is now very strong.” Gandalf said to them pulling Shadowfax to go through the gates. Kagome stole the reins back from Aragorn and brought their horse to ride next to Shadowfax looked uncomfortable being so close to Kagome, but continued on.
 
“How did you know that?” She questioned the Wizard. “Aragorn only told you that things weren't in proper order here, not that King Théoden was overthrown.”
 
“An old Wizard has his ways.” Gandalf smiled at her.
 
As the group rode through the village, all the village people stopped what they were doing to star at the new comers.
 
“You'll find more cheer in a graveyard.” Funny how I thought it was one.
 
Finally they reached the steps where Aragorn dismounted and helped his sister off as he watched a lady in white enter the Great Hall.
 
“Who was she?” Kagome asked following his line of sight.
 
“I don't know.” He sighed.
 
“Well she sure was pretty. But then again, I'm a girl and think everyone's pretty.” If Aragorn was paying any sort of attention to her he was have seem Kagome's eyes quickly shift over to Legolas before watching Gandalf start his ascent up the stairs.
 
“I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Grayhame. By order of Grima Wormtongue.” As Gandalf nodded to his companions, Kagome frowned. Alright, I can barely get my sword off with my left hand and I still can't grip with my right. I can get everything else off fine, except for the big sword.
 
“Your staff.”
 
Legolas glanced at Kagome and saw her frown. After a couple seconds he understood that she needed help with her sword, and stepped over and help unlatch from her back to hand it to a guard.
 
“Thanks.”
 
“You're welcome.” And she then proceeded to find all her daggers, taking them off to give them to the guard, who we all know was thinking, how does she put those there without that being uncomfortable?
 
“You would not part an old man form his walking stick.” Kagome stared at Hama as he let them pass. He does know Gandalf's a Wizard, right? Gimli roughly shoved into the Great Hall. Legolas was leading Gandalf as if he didn't have his `walking stick'.
 
In the front of the room, one could very well tell that it was Théoden sitting in the chair, and that it was most likely Wormtongue sitting next to him. Even with their excellent Elvish hearing, both Legolas and Kagome had a difficult time hearing the words passed from Wormtongue to Théoden, for they were spoke in such low tones. “My lord, Gandalf the Grey is coming. He's a herald of woe.”
 
“The courtesy of you hall is somewhat lessened of late, Théoden King.” Gandalf stayed on Legolas' arm as his staff remained unseen by anyone in front or behind him.
 
“He's not welcome.” Wormtongue continued to whisper.
 
“Why should I welcome you, Gandalf Stromcrow?” When Théoden looked at Grima, Grima stood.
 
“Just a question, my liege. Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest.”
 
Gandalf looked annoyed for a moment. “Be silent. Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death, to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.” Gandalf positioned his staff so Grima was able to see it.
 
Grima on the other hand was enraged. The guards didn't follow orders. “His staff. I told you to take the Wizards staff!”
 
A menacing looking group of guards approached the four intending on taking away the staff, but Legolas and Aragorn started punching and kicking away who came in their bubble. Gimli just barreled through. Kagome, on the other hand just stood there. With a professional ranger, full fledged elf and dwarf fighting off the bad guys there were none left for her. Legolas brought his fist back to connect with some guards' face and Kagome gasped. If only I could close my hand into a fist! I would so do that to Wormtongue. But then again, Gimli seems to have that under control…Indeed Gimli did. His foot was planted firmly on Grima's chest.
 
“I forgive you for shoving me, and may be developing respect for you.” Kagome told Gimli walking towards him.
 
“Why's that?”
 
“You've actually done something! I'm so proud.”
 
Gandalf walked closer to Théoden. “Théoden, son of Thengel, to long have you sat in the Shadow.” Closing his eyes and raising his hand, “Hearken to me! I release you… from his spell.”
 
Théoden laughed. “You have no power here, Gandalf the Grey.” Gandalf threw his cloak off. Well isn't that a show of masculine pride? Théoden was thrown back into his chair by a white light.
 
“I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound.” Gandalf shoved his staff forward which makes Théoden shift in his seat. Kagome turned to watch the lady in white run into the room. Grabbing onto the lady's arm, Kagome stopped her from intervening.
 
“Hold on a minute.”
 
A strange voice came out of Théoden. “If I go, Théoden dies.”
 
Gandalf moved closer to Théoden's chair. “You did not kill me, you will not kill him.”
 
“Rohan is mine.”
 
“Be gone.”
 
Kagome jumped in excitement when Théoden lunged at Gandalf, who thrust his staff again. Théoden slumped down and Kagome's grip was broken when the lady in white ripped out of her grasp, “Ow, that hurts.” Finally understanding at that she can't grip with her right hand.
 
The lady in white stopped Théoden from falling completely to the ground and his face changed from that of an old man to that of a middle aged man. Not a big difference. He looked to the lady in intrigue. “I know your face. Eowyn. Eowyn.” Eowyn released several tears in joy of finally being recognized by her uncle. “Gandalf.”
 
“Breathe the free air again, my friend.” Théoden stood up shakily and Kagome leaned down to Gimli's level.
 
“He looked so much better without that ugly beard. No offence, of course.” Gimli looked to the female and glared at her.
 
“Dark have been my dreams of late.”
 
“That's almost guaranteed when a Dark Wizard is possessing you.” Kagome suggested. Gimli glared at her again.
 
“Your fingers would remember their old strength better if they grasped your sword.” Hama (a/n: whom I just realized was not really given a name when I first used it) stepped forward and offered him his sword. Grabbing the piece of weaponry, Théoden looked happy… until he saw Grima.
 
“Oh! Let me!” Kagome got Gimli to raise his foot and she seized Grima's cloak - with her left hand - to drag his outside and throw him down the stairs. Turning towards Legolas she spoke, “Well that was great fun, but can you help me put my sword on?”
 
Théoden stomped out after Grima as Legolas secured her sword on her back. “You might want to stop him from doing anything rash.” Kagome said to her brother and started the agonizing process of putting all her daggers back in place.
 
The most she heard out of the Théoden - Grima conversation was, “Where is Theodred? Where is my son?”
 
 
 
Well, I got the chapter out on time, or today when I said I would. Aren't you happy? I have decided to actually name the story, because even though I'm writing it, I cannot tell what it's call, I only remember something, something Long Title. Whatever, so your input would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I bet your happy something is happening between Legolas and Kagome aren't you? I just had to do something.
 
Bruce n' Charlie