InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Wanted to Make a Long Title That Had No Real Connection to the Story and Here It Is ❯ Chapter 14

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 14
 
After searching the compound over several times with a keen eye, Kagome became even more worried. She'd set Aragorn and Legolas off to try and find her best friend, but they too had been coming up empty handed.
 
Giving up on the idea that Haldir could still be alive; Kagome went to search through the lifeless bodies lying at her feet. She was hesitant to look down, afraid that she would find what she was most afraid of. Slowly she walked to where the elves had been before the fight began, choosing to start in the most logical place; taking deep breaths to calm her racing heart.
 
Legolas' search had been proving as fruitless as Kagome's. As he finished looking for the second time, he decided that finding the half-elf would be more productive at this point in time. Jumping onto a wall that would allow him to see almost half the compound, Legolas began looking for the female. He found her immediately, standing almost where he had be standing hours before with her head up high but with a pained expression marring her features.
 
Worried, he called out, “Kagome!”
 
Kagome turned towards the sound of her name, and a small, unsure smile crossed her face. Legolas jumped down and quickly advanced to her side, hugging her quickly before grabbing her hand. Kagome let out a breath that she was holding when he shook his head and she nodded in response.
 
“If Haldir were still alive I think we would have found him by now.” She whispered, gripping Legolas' hand tightly.
 
“The best we can do for him now is a proper burial.” Kagome's heart broke a little more hearing the words that she knew, but didn't want to accept. Wiping her eyes, she squeezed Legolas' hand tighter and began looking at the dead bodies at her feet.
 
“You don't have to look Kagome. I can have Aragorn help me…” Legolas trailed off as Kagome's head shook furiously.
 
“I have to help.” Legolas nodded.
 
“We can stop if you need too.”
 
“Thank you.” She whispered. The two elves began walking through the mess that was the after math of the battle; pushing the lifeless elves onto their backs as they can across the slightly familiar beings. After a significant amount of time passed, Kagome was again beginning to lose hope. She knew that she couldn't keep looking for her friend, for the simple fact that it would crush her to find his body the same way it would crush her to not find his body.
 
A few paces over an elf lay on his side facing away from Legolas and Kagome. The only reason Kagome focused on the elf was the slightly darker shade of blonde hair. Isn't his hair slightly darker? Tugging on Legolas' sleeve and pointing in the direction of the motionless elf she started off on a quick pace towards the body. By the time she had got to the elf, she was absolutely positive it was Haldir and tears fell from her eyes in both sadness and joy. Vaguely she heard Legolas call her brother, but she didn't care, she knew it was Haldir sitting down she rolled the body so it was partly on her legs. She smiled again wiping a spot of blood off the dirty cheek, it was Haldir.
 
 
Kagome sat down with a clunk and a sigh. The last few hours had gone by very quickly; when Aragorn came to her side to help transport Haldir he announced that Haldir wasn't dead. Only severely injured and deeply unconscious.
 
In short, Kagome felt extremely stupid for not checking to see if he was alive herself; believing to be as intelligent as Théoden for that moment.
 
After she had finished hugging Aragorn, Legolas and Haldir Aragorn also announced that he would be dead if not treated immediately. It was almost enough to dampen her spirits, but not quite. Helping to lift her friend, she made sure Aragorn and Legolas were able to carry him and then ran to the keep to inform people of Haldir's condition. Gimli wasn't too excited to be lifted up by the exuberant elf, nor was he excited to be dropped by her when a woman stepped forward to offer medical assistance to the injured male. But Gimli decided it was alright while rubbing his butt. Her mood had changed significantly from earlier that evening, and it was a change for the better. Kagome ran off dragging the woman to a room that she told the men to bring him to, and Gimli smiled.
 
Haldir was brought in and the woman washed and dressed the wound in his side with Kagome staring at her the entire time, and finally said the elf would wake in the next day. This Kagome decided, was good and bad news. Good in the sense that he would be alright and she could talk to him in a short time. Bad in the sense that she felt the need to stay by his side the entire time he was ill. Aragorn had informed her that there was to be a meeting while Haldir was still unconscious. With the need to watch over her friend the meeting was very difficult to attend. In the end she was forced to leave Haldir's side and listen to a meeting while dozing on Legolas' shoulder.
 
Eventually it was decided that they would make their way to Rohan while making a stop in Isengard and Kagome was able to return to Haldir were she was currently sitting and thinking on the last couple hours. Even more current was the decision that she needed to make; should she go to Rohan with Legolas and the others or wait until Haldir was better. That can wait until later. And the half-elf fell asleep resting against the wall.
 
 
Hours later Haldir began to stir groaning in frustration when he couldn't sit up. The noise disturbed Kagome's sleep enough that when she tried to switch position against the wall; she fell over; waking her up immediately. “Haldir! You're awake!” Haldir nodded, and brought his hand to his mouth making a `drink' motion. “Oh, right!” She reached for a cup of water that she had placed next to the cot earlier for this reason. Tipping the cup against his lips, she supported his head so he was able to drink instead of getting drenched. Haldir sighed in content, and lied back down. Kagome seated herself next to his bed.
 
After several minutes of silence Kagome made a soft noise and Haldir turned his head to look at her. “How are you feeling?” She asked.
 
Haldir cleared his throat and said in a scratchy voice, “Like I've been stabbed.”
 
She smiled wryly. “That's good. Nice to hear that you already know what it's like to be stabbed.” Haldir smiled back.
 
“How are you?” He asked quietly.
 
“Good, tired mostly.” Haldir nodded.
 
“What happened?”
 
“Gandalf brought the Riders of Rohan. The Orcs fled, I went looking for you.” The atmosphere became tense again.
 
“How's my condition?” Kagome looked at her feet trying to avoid making eye contact.
 
“Limited mobility for a long time.” Haldir nodded, he had been expecting that.
 
“What's the next move for us?”
 
“Gandalf wants us to go through Isengard and back to Rohan. Something about Gondor, I don't really remember. I was dozing.” Kagome tried to remember that part of the meeting but it only seemed like a fast paced dream to her.
 
Haldir touched her hand. “I'm to stay here aren't I? Until I can go home.”
 
Kagome nodded and grabbed his hand, nodding in conformation. “I was planning to stay with you here until you're better.” Haldir shook his head slowly.
 
“My part in this war is over, Kagome. I am of no more use to anyone.” Kagome brought his hand to her forehead, quietly crying for her best friend. “But you are still important to the winning of the war, and you can't let me keep you here when you're needed with others.” Kagome gripped his hand tighter.
 
Please don't say what I think you're going to say.
 
“We've been apart before Kagome, we can be apart again.” Haldir said in a no nonsense tone.
 
“You're my best friend. How can I leave you like this?”
 
“With the knowledge that I'm going to be fine.” Kagome nodded, kissing his hand before lowering it back to the bed. She closed her eyes lowering her head into her hands. She already knew she had a duty to finish the war, Gandalf himself said that the battle for Middle Earth had begun and everyone needed to be prepared. She just couldn't understand how Haldir was pushing her away when she wanted to stay with him. Kagome sighed, rubbing her eyes before looking at a smiling Haldir. “Besides,” he started, “Legolas would seem to enjoy some time with you, and he can't accomplish that while I'm in the way.”
 
Kagome laughed, happy to be away from the subject of her leaving. “I don't believe that he's that jealous.” She told him with a smile.
 
“On the contrary, you don't see how he looks at you when you aren't looking at you. It's a look of adoration and something I can't quite put my finger on.”
 
Kagome noticed that look too. When she was hugging Aragorn earlier she had seen a softness to his eyes that she hadn't seen before. At the time she wrote it off, too happy to notice much around her. Could he really like me like that? Kagome smiled and nodded to herself. Yes. He could. Looking back to her injured friend, she spoke quietly but happily, “Perhaps.” She smiled brightly, receiving a smile in return.
 
 
Kagome exited Haldir's room a while later, seeing Legolas sitting on the floor across the hall. He stood and walked three short paces to her.
 
“How is he?” He asked grabbing her hand.
 
“He'll be alright. Disappointed he can't help anymore, but that only kills his pride a little.” Legolas smiled at her. Kagome smiled back quickly.
 
Legolas noticed the sadness in her eyes. “What's the matter?”
 
Kagome sighed, flipping his hand in hers so she could trace the lines on his palm. “He wants me go to Rohan. It hurts that he doesn't want me here for his recovery.”
 
“You know he's telling you to do what he thinks is best.”
 
“I know. But it doesn't help.” Legolas pushed a lock of hair behind her slightly pointy ear.
 
Kagome sighed again and tugged him in the direction of the throne room. “I'll do what he asks of me because he's my best friend, but if we get close to Lothlorien we're going to visit him.” Legolas smiled and matched his stride to hers.
 
“Anything you want.” Kagome smiled in response. Yeah, he likes me.
 
 
So… Sorry about the delay, but I'm a slow typer and I really have no excuse. Anyways I think this chapter is a good one with all the stuff that happens. Although I feel like it's kind of a filler… But it's ok because I talked with my friend yesterday and she said it was ok to post a kinda short chapter if I try and do a longer one next. Her `main base' is Quizilla and I like her so I figure I'd follow her advice. So I hope you enjoyed and I'm off to do my history homework. Blah.
 
Bruce n' Charlie