InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ I Will Wait ❯ Chapter Five: First Date ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Well, so much for not making everyone wait, but this is still an improvement on the usual. I'd like to thank my reviewers…and also ask what fool asks for a lemon on ff.net?! Though I do often write two versions of a story, one with and without a lemon, the clean one for ff.net and the lemon for mediaminer (which got me in a little trouble when I downloaded the wrong one here once (oops!), if you're reading for lemons at ff.net, you're reading in the wrong place! Yeesh. Sorry, wanted to get that out of my system.
 
I want to thank all my reviewers again, as impatient as you are. I've got little time for this sort of thing anymore, so it can't be helped. In truth, the current run of fics I'm working on will most likely be my last. I promise to finish them though, so don't worry about that, you'll just have to be patient with me in the process. I'm squeezing them in where I can. Plus I'm having issues with my floppy drive, and since I type most of these at work, but have no internet there, the fact that my home computer doesn't want to read the disks is an issue. CD-RW is quickly becoming my new god, even if it is a bit extraneous for three pages of text.
 
Anyway, sorry for the wait, but it can't be helped, and here's another chapter.
 
I Will Wait
Chapter Five: First Date
By: BansheePuppet
 
Evening, and a pleasant one at that. The moon was low and large in the sky. A light jacket was enough to fight the moderate breeze. Sesshomaru was comforted by the heavy weight of yukata and sash He'd been so on edge lately that even the comfortable weight of his usual garments was soothing. He flexed his hand carefully. There was still a strain, but it was well-enough to make some moderate use of.
 
Kagome made her way downstairs in a simple pair of jeans and a sweater set. She'd pulled her hair back into a ponytail and gestured for him to wait a moment while she went into the kitchen to get a picnic basket she'd made earlier that day.
 
He took the moment to clear his mind and strengthen his resolve. She had that shiny stuff on her lips again and he wanted to know if it tasted good as he couldn't imagine another reason for it, except that it drew his attention to them and peaked his curiosity—and he was curious enough about her already, and the sweater set was cut into a deep U, and he was fairly-well-taller than the miko, which gave him a deep view of cleavage. He pulled his eyes away and walked quietly beside her. He had a strong desire in him and didn't know how long he could hold out as it was, without the miko wearing things that gave him his fair share of improper ideas.
 
Kagome led him quietly through the park. A secluded path led to a larger and wild garden and in the distance, nestled against a mountain, sat a mansion surrounded by forest on three sides.
 
Kagome let out a content little sigh and settled down in the cool grass beside an old oak tree. “This is it,” she said. “My secret place.”
 
“It is pleasant,” Sesshomaru replied, taking a seat beside her. The scent of her hair tickled his nostrils as it wafted by on the wind. Kagome started giggling for seemingly no reason. It disturbed Sesshomaru a bit and he quirked an elegant brow at her.
 
“Gomen!” she apologized. “I was just thinking it's nice to not have to explain. Inuyasha would complain that there's nothing special about it, it's only a stupid meadow, and start yanking me off some more. It's just nice to slow down once in a while.”
 
Sesshomaru gave a vague nod. He didn't mind that the miko talked a lot. She wasn't pressing him to say anything in reply as much as thinking aloud. “I like it here though, and I like that house. I'd like to live somewhere like that someday, away from everything except the absolute most important things. Well, it's impractical though. Bringing the groceries home would be a pain, but I still think it would probably be worth it.”
 
A long and comfortable silence passed between them as they sat eating sandwiches and drinking canned tea. Again, the word that came to Sesshomaru's mind most readily was `pleasant'. He stared off in the distance at the house. `Would that I could be the man to give her that gift,' he thought. `And would that I were the man who could live beside her in it—but a demon cannot live in this world.' He wasn't sure when it stopped mattering that Kagome was human and he was not. Well it was probably around the time that he realized the entire affair was hopeless from the start. He was a stoic man, but not characteristically depressed, just proud—right now though, he was feeling quite down over the entire mess.
 
In one of those bizarre moments of kismet, the two time travelers looked at one another, golded eyes locking onto cobalt. Sesshomaru unconsciously moistened his lips when he saw the lip gloss Kagome wore glistening under the moonlight. And also unconsciously, he leaned forward.
 
Kagome's heart began thundering in her chest. What was that look in the demon's eyes? It frightend her, but also, she found it strangely exciting. She couldn't tear her eyes away, afraid to even breathe wrong and break the spell.
 
Closer. Closer. His mind didn't know what his body was doing. If it did, he would most certainly have turned away, but the animal in him was overpowering his senses. Well, no, it wasn't the animal precisely, the animal would simply have pounced her and been done with the entire affair—this overpowered even those base instincts. Closer. He could feel their breath tangling together. His handrested on her bicept, causing a shiver to pass through her body. He could hear her racing heartbeat. Yes, his body knew what it was doing, leaning down his head, neck tilting slightly to the left and…
 
Quite suddenly the demon leapt to his feet. Well, that was disappointing. Kagome blinked a few times and then blushed, realizing what they had almost allowed to happen. Well, at least Sesshomaru had come to his senses—or had he? Currently the inuyoukai was tearing through the foliage like Inuyasha sometimes did, looking for a scent.
 
He'd know that scent anywhere! He couldn't quite place it, bu he knew it to be the scent of another inuyoukai—and someone that he knew quite well. He couldn't put a face to it, but scents never lie, a male youkai—and whoever it was, they were gone now, leaving only a shadow of that strong scent behind them. He growled under his breath. Coward.
 
“Sesshomaru?”
 
Another sudden realization as he heard the woman's voice—a demon, he had sensed a demon! `Then I too could possibly…' “It's nothing,” he said. “Just a rat.”
 
“Ah, then…won't you sit back down and finish your tea?”
 
The youkai nodded and eased back down, only now realizing the more obvious thing. `I nearly just kissed this woman and…' In truth, he didn't know where to go with that `and' at this point in time, so he just drank the cold tea instead.
 
*~*~*
 
The demon smirked slightly, pale hair falling into golden eyes. “He almost caught me. I must be getting old,” he mused.
 
“Aiieee!” the little imp came running. “Sesshomaru-sama! Jaken was worried! You so rarely go outside.” The green demon fell flat on his face. He was bordering on ancient and as Sesshomaru watched him disinterestedly, he didn't suspect the imp would last another winter.
 
“She will return to me soon, Jaken. A year, perhaps two.”
 
It took a bit for the senile imp, looking more and more like a toad as the years crawled by, to understand. “Ah! The miko! It has been many centuries since we last saw her.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded vaguely, sitting in his usual chair and resting his head in his hand thoughtfully. “It will not be much longer now,” he said. “I have learned patience, and I can wait.”
 
*~*~*
(End of Chapter)