InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ If Only You Knew... ❯ If Only You Knew ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: This short piece was inspired by Manga Chapter 374.
 
 
If Only You Knew…
 
 
His hair lifted as the wind swirled around him. This area, this tree, brought back so many memories. He had come here with so much to say.
 
“You helped to change my life, you know. Though I know you did not intend to. So many things came to pass because I met you.”
 
“I remember the first time you found me. I tried to discourage you, but in a way, I managed to encourage you somehow. I did not intend to, it just happened that way.”
 
He sat down at the base of the tree, closing his eyes and feeling the breeze brush his face before he continued, “Because of you, I became a better man, more like the man my father wanted me to be. It was because of you that I learned the true value of the sword he left me. It was because of you I was able to make use of it.”
 
The silver hair swirled around his face, tendrils caught as they lifted and then fell, gently caressing his face. The wind seemed to whisper as it almost appeared to encourage him to resume his monologue. For a few moments, he sat in silence, gathering his thoughts.
 
“Your life was far too short. It angered me to see it end the way it did. It was not fair, you were taken away too soon. I had thought, perhaps, that one day you would be worthy of me. I was thankful, though, that you waited for me to arrive before you passed on. I was almost relieved that you waited until you could say goodbye. I wish I could have saved you, but it was not meant to be.”
 
The gentle breeze swirled around him, soothing the silver-haired Inu, almost as the arms of a woman might.
 
“My only regret is that I did not attempt to help you, try to help you break free. But in your own way you did, for you became as free as the wind, the wind you longed to be. You no longer had to suffer at the hands of Naraku, and I suspect you were there when we defeated him. Be free and rest in peace.”
 
Lord Sesshomaru closed his eyes and let the wind continue its gentle caressing of his mane and face. He could almost hear her whisper to him as she did the last time he saw her. Kagura, the Wind Sorceress, who was released at this place after Naraku had poisoned her heart. The Taiyoukai understood what Naraku never could - that even in death, she was content because she was finally free.