InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In Order To Break Me ❯ Violet and Red ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note- Before anyone comments, human InuYasha has violet eyes in the manga. In the Anime they're more of a brownish-gray. (Kind of an indescribable color it seems.) I just know there have been eye color wars before in fic reviews. (Kagome has brown eyes- No blue! When they're both technically right.) So I wanted to make a note of which way I was going with that. ^^;

I hope you enjoy this chapter and please read, review, and enjoy.

Japanese guide-

Hama no Ya- Purity arrow

"In Order To Break Me"

Chapter Two

Violet and Red

By Kelly O'Connor

InuYasha clenched his fist tightly in Kagome's sleeve, his hand bunching up the fabric of her top under a firm grasp. There was no hiding the look of fear that was evident on his countenance, as well as in the uneasy breaths he was taking, and the way he held onto the teenage girl beside him.

Every few moments, he would switch his gaze to his other half outside the barrier, at the moment he stood there, claws flexed and fangs flashing, his blood red eyes consistently locked on the human half inside the barrier. So this is what I looked like, InuYasha thought, more than slightly horrified, When I killed Goshinki… when I went after those men in the village. He winced at the memory of waking up to himself after that event, and seeing his blood stained hands, Covered in human blood. It was a memory he would never be able to forget, and a wound he would never be able to completely heal.

"Kagome," The now human boy managed to force out, his voice hoarse from the shock of the situation. "I don't know what to do…" Kagome's eyes snapped up to his face, and she observed his look of fear and confusion. It wasn't often InuYasha admitted that he was at a loss in a situation.

"InuYasha I…"

"You, Miko-sama," A voice interrupted Kagome and she looked back to see the middle aged woman who had pointed out the boar youkai walking in her direction. "That creature outside the barrier… can you defeat it?" Her tone was frightened and her expression desperate.

"Destroy it?!" Kagome blurted, "How could I do that it's… In---"

"Kagome!" InuYasha cut into her statement and glared at her. Kagome nodded, Right, if I tell them that's InuYasha's youkai half… they may try to hurt InuYasha. She sighed. There was a moment of silence before InuYasha cleared his throat and turned around to face the villagers, "Keh- Kagome can't defeat the youkai with all of you here so you should head somewhere safe."

"But the barrier will protect us right?" A teenage boy asked. Kagome nodded to InuYasha, catching onto what he was trying to do.

"The barrier reacted violently when I tried to test it," Kagome replied, "I'm still not sure how strong it is, InuYasha is right… for your safety you should head back to your homes. That way we can defeat the youkai before he comes near if he does manage to enter the barrier." Shokubai shot the Miko and her companion a leery look. He'd figured out the catastrophe that had occurred even though the other villagers hadn't, and he sighed deeply.

"Kagome-sama is right," The village elder affirmed, "You should all head to your huts and let these two capable warriors take care of the youkai." There was a flurry of whispers among the small group of villagers that had congregated before they all began to hastily head to their homes-- and out of earshot of Kagome and InuYasha. Shokubai was the last to leave and he paused as he walked by the couple. "I told you," He closed his eyes regretfully, "I told you… the Hanyou should not have come."

"Keh- Jiji I---"

"InuYasha!" Kagome interrupted him, "It's too late now, there's no reason to argue." The black haired boy crossed his arms and the village elder continued on his way back to his home.

"Good luck you two," Shokubai whispered as he looked back to the pair. Once he was gone, Kagome pulled away from InuYasha completely and shuddered as she shifted her eyes to the waiting figure outside the barrier.

"InuYasha," The Miko ventured, "Why is he staring at us? Why hasn't he moved… or left?" She bit her lip, frightened. InuYasha narrowed his eyes at his other half.

"Kagome," He began, "That's… what I have of a youkai in me, and I'm the human in me." He sighed deeply, trying to get a rein on his thoughts, "When I- when I turned berserk, when my youkai blood took over," InuYasha's eyes shut in pain of the memories that brought back, the one time… he knew he could have killed Kagome. "Each time I'd come closer to losing the human in me."

"I… I know InuYasha," Kagome replied, "But why is he just standing there waiting?"

"Because he is waiting Kagome," InuYasha shot his silver haired doppelganger a sharp glare, "When my youkai blood took over, it tried to destroy the human in me… Kagome," He paused, "I'm the human… he wants to destroy me." Kagome took in a sharp breath.

"He's waiting to… kill you?" She clarified. InuYasha nodded.

"And I have a feeling that I'll be his target the moment I step outside that barrier."

"I see," Kagome said in slight shock. "What can we do InuYasha? How can we fix what the barrier did?" She asked pleadingly. InuYasha shook his head.

"Kagome… I don't know anything," He closed his eyes in defeat, and squeezed his fists together. "I guess we'll have to fight him." Kagome shook her head vigorously in the negative.

"If we do that then you'll be killed!" She exclaimed, "And even if you aren't… your other half could be killed and you'd be…"

"Stuck like this, I know Kagome!" The black haired boy raised his voice in frustration, "What the hell else are we supposed to do? It's not as if we can let my other half run around freely, and the moment we leave this barrier…"

"Barrier," Kagome interrupted, "I can cast a barrier around him!" The Miko gave InuYasha a tentative smile. "I've been learning how to cast barriers myself. As long as I cast one that would last long enough for me to talk to Kaede-baachan… then maybe she'll know of a possible way to umm put you back together again." Kagome paused, "And if not then," She placed her hands on the necklace she wore- the center of it holding the Shikon no Tama she protected. "We could…" InuYasha saw the object her fingers were stroking.

"No Kagome, we won't use that," He sighed in exasperation, "When the jewel was completed, I told you I didn't need it. I meant that." InuYasha pulled Kagome's hand away from the jewel gently, "Kagome, if you can make the barrier… we'll go talk to Kaede-baba, if not, we have to face my other half now." Kagome nodded confidently, but her expression betrayed that emotion.

"Then… I'll make the barrier InuYasha," She replied shakily. Standing up, Kagome brushed her skirt off and adjusted her bow and quiver. InuYasha scrambled up to his feet as well and walked up beside Kagome.

"I'm going with you," The human boy stated as he shot a determined look to his other half outside the barrier.

"No, InuYasha you can't be of any help… I can cast the barrier by myself," Kagome replied. InuYasha gritted his teeth in frustration.

"I'm not letting you go out there alone! The moment you step out there he'll…"

"I know InuYasha!" Kagome retorted, "I'll stand on the very edge of the barrier, so if he approaches me… I can leap back into the barrier before he can touch me."

"Keh- Kagome, do you have any idea how fast my other half must be? As a Hanyou I'm fast, but in that form…"

"I know!" She repeated again, "I know he's fast, I know I have to act fast and create the barrier. I can't create it from the inside of another barrier though. I have to step out. It will work fine."

"Dammit Kagome! how can you be so foolish?" InuYasha yelled in concern. Kagome shot him a slightly bemused look.

"Often times, I want to ask you the same thing InuYasha," Kagome sighed, "We've gone through this many times before InuYasha, I'll protect you the same as you'd protect me." InuYasha nodded.

"Keh, I'm still going with you!" The teenager glanced from his companion to his youkai half, still standing and ready to attack when the duo decided to finally leave.

"InuYasha…"

"When I went berserk before Kagome… I could have killed you," InuYasha shuddered momentarily and he lowered his voice, "If that actually had happened Kagome… I-I couldn't have lived with that. I can't let it happen now." Kagome's expression softened and she gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"I won't let that happen InuYasha," She replied tenderly, "I'll get the barrier up, ask Kaede-baachan what she knows, and then… we'll figure out a way to get you back to your Hanyou form." InuYasha couldn't help but smile lightly at her optimism.

"Well then you'd better get that barrier cast quickly then."

"How much longer is he going to wait anyway?"

"Keh- I don't know Kagome, as long as it takes for me to leave the barrier I guess." He exhaled and his tone turned more serious. "I don't know Kagome… how aware my other half is," InuYasha winced, "Since I can't remember what it felt like, I don't know how much he would recognize… I don't know anything." Kagome nodded and gave his hand a quick squeeze, trying to soothe away some of his insecurities over the situation.

"Let's get this done with InuYasha," Kagome led him to the edge of the barrier.

"Kagome," He gulped, "If you… 'sat' him, would it work long enough to get the barrier set up." Kagome gave InuYasha a surprised look.

"That's a good idea InuYasha," She replied, "If the rosary still works on him, but… I can't have you crashing down as well." Kagome's mind didn't want to process the damage it would cause InuYasha if she were to subdue him in his human form.

"Keh, well then…"

"I'll take it off InuYasha," She sighed, "You don't need it anymore anyway. You haven't for a long time."

"You're… taking it off?" He inquired in surprise.

"Don't you want me to? I have to if I'm going to try subduing your other half." InuYasha nodded in agreement and gave her a somewhat somber smile. Kagome reached up and slipped the ever-present rosary from around his neck. With a tentative smile, she placed the beads in his hand. "In case you want to keep them or anything, although I'm sure you don't." InuYasha fingered the beads a bit before quickly slipping them into the front of his haori. "InuYasha?"

"Keh, I've had them for so long… it feels funny not to be wearing them." The dark haired boy reasoned, but his thoughts were elsewhere, the beads… his constant reminder of Kagome when she wasn't there. They were something tangible, something that he could see and be calmed by when his patience was wearing thin and she was away.

A part of him was glad to see the subduing spell was gone, but another part couldn't deny the slight twang his heart felt at that connection between him and Kagome being severed. Their first connection. The one he'd unwillingly made with her when they met under not so friendly terms. It was gone.

But InuYasha and Kagome had more important things to worry about at the moment. "Are you ready Kagome?" InuYasha asked. Kagome nodded and pulled he bow off her shoulder, grabbing an arrow and nicking it in preparation.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be InuYasha," The Miko replied as assertively as she could. InuYasha noticed the doubt in her voice, and decided to return a bit of her earlier optimism.

"It will be all right Kagome," InuYasha said with as much confidence as he could muster as before looking out to face his other self. Fierce red eyes met intimidated violet ones as youkai locked gazes with human. "Let's go," The black haired teenager said in a low voice. Kagome nodded and together, they stepped outside the barrier.

"We can do this Inu---" But Kagome's brave statement was cut off when a flash of red lunged at her companion, silver and red. "OSUWARI!" Kagome yelled with such vigor that it would have likely caused a backache for Hanyou InuYasha for days on end.

However, instead of seeing the flash of silver and red falling down in the usual undignified manner, she felt an arm wrap around her middle and quickly pull her back into the barrier. Kagome looked back to see a worried looking InuYasha gasping for breath.

"The damn subduing spell didn't work on him Kagome," He paused and clenched his fist, "Shit, he almost got you… I can't watch this, just fire an arrow at him and…"

"InuYasha, no!" She paused, "Even if I wanted to, I couldn't… it's… never mind." I could never hurt anyone that looked anything like you, even if… Kagome cut off her thoughts with a sigh. "So the subduing spell doesn't work?" It's not tied to his physical body, but rather… his soul? Can it only work on one side of him?

"If you can't get the damn barrier to work, there's no other way!" InuYasha raised his voice in irritation.

"Then I will… get the barrier to work." Kagome shot InuYasha a determined look, and glanced outside the barrier to his attack ready youkai half. Once more, she nicked her arrow onto her bow, and with InuYasha at her side, stepped into danger once more.

"Here I go!" Kagome set to release the arrow just as the silver haired youkai began to lunge at his human other half once more. However, when she noticed InuYasha being targeted, she quickly lost her concentration and released the arrow carelessly. A bright pink light covered the tip of the arrow as it flew, and landed in the ground not too far away. With a grunt, InuYasha pulled her behind the barrier once more. "I completely lost the barrier. That was just an ordinary Hama no Ya…" Kagome trailed off in disappointment. InuYasha shrugged.

"You were closer that time, and I managed to get away without a scratch again," InuYasha put his hand on her shoulder, "If you can't do it…"

"NO, I can!" Kagome exclaimed, "Give me one more try InuYasha. I just have to get one good shot in." InuYasha nodded.

"Keh- fine." He crossed his arms and watched her fix her bow for the third time. Kagome glared at her opponent with steely determination in her eyes.

"There'll be no missing this time." The Miko narrowed her eyes and decided on the target of a nearby tree to base the barrier off of. InuYasha's eyes widened, impressed by Kagome's confidence.

Once outside the barrier once more, Kagome felt like she was just repeating a process. Except this time, InuYasha's youkai half didn't launch an attack right away. InuYasha sighed to himself. There is reason within him, but that only reasoning involves how to kill.

"Kagome watch out!" InuYasha yelled as the out of control youkai made his move, but this time he didn't go for his human counterpart, but instead the one who held dearest. Of course… dammit, He thinks she's trying to attack him, He'll get rid of her first… SHIT! InuYasha leapt in front of Kagome as quickly as his human body could move and just as Kagome was noticing that his other side was attacking in her direction.

His claws flexed and his heartless eyes shone with bloodlust as he approached the couple. Without any thought as to her own well-being Kagome stepped forward and shoved InuYasha out of the way, using all her physical strength to throw him behind the barrier.

As if doing it by instinct, Kagome pulled back her bow and fired the arrow, ignoring the painful sensation of a pair of claws coming in contact with her arm directly after she did so.

The Miko power was infused in the arrow, making it travel quicker to reach its target. As quick as she could, the teenage girl leapt behind the barrier. And once she'd reached her destination she collapsed, not noticing the long gash in her left arm that the youkai half had inflicted on her as she moved to shoot the arrow. InuYasha though, noticed it right away.

"Dammit!" He reached into the book bag Kagome had brought and pulled out a small roll of bandages. The cut wasn't severe, as he'd inflicted it right as she was leaping back into the barrier and as her barrier was coming into play. InuYasha smiled briefly as he noticed that Kagome's barrier had most definitely been effective. Looking, out on the trees and grass outside, that's all he saw… trees and grass. It conceals as well, good one Kagome.

However, he then glanced back at Kagome's wound and felt guilt pool in his stomach. Even if I wasn't the one to do it, a part of me did. "Dammit! I'm sorry Kagome." Kagome's eyes fluttered open to see a pair of concerned violet eyes looking down at her.

"Sorry?" She asked and then noticed the gash on her arm, "Oh, InuYasha… it's not your fault." Kagome smiled lightly. He gently rolled up her sleeve, and began wrapping the gauze from her era around the wound.

"Yes it is. I shouldn't have let you push me back in the barrier."

"Stop blaming yourself for everything InuYasha!" She paused, "The barrier worked, didn't it?" Kagome asked hopefully. InuYasha smiled lightly.

"Keh- it looks like that Miko training of yours really paid off Kagome," InuYasha said encouragingly. Kagome nodded.

"That's good, but I don't know," She looked out at the barrier and grinned when she noticed she'd successfully set up a concealment spell as well. Similar to what she'd seen Kikyou do when she created a barrier once before- what was happening inside wasn't visible to those outside.

However, it was taking a lot of her spiritual energy to maintain it. InuYasha's youkai side was strong, and no normal barrier would have been able to restrain him at all. Kagome knew this, and she knew that it was impressive enough that she'd managed to keep him in at all with her still fresh from training barrier creating techniques. "I don't know how long I can keep it up InuYasha." The teenage boy's eyes widened in surprise.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Go and get Kaede-baachan and bring her back here instead. I can't go back with you. As long as I'm still here, I can continue to reinforce the barrier so it won't break." She sighed and sat up, "I'm sorry I can't go with you, but if we want to keep your other half restrained, you have to go alone." InuYasha looked at her with concern in his eyes.

"Kagome… I… can't leave you here alone what if… and your wound."

"InuYasha," Kagome smiled and stood up, pulling him up along side her. "Nothing will happen, the wound isn't anything big either. You know that. Just please go get Kaede-baachan. She's the only one nearby that may have any idea what to do about this." InuYasha nodded. "And," She grinned at him, trying to make light of the situation. "Once everything is back to normal, I'll take you to the grocery store in my time and buy you anything you want." InuYasha's expression brightened for a moment, before it settled on a frown once more.

"What if it doesn't get back to normal?" He asked, "What if," InuYasha swiped a hand through his long black hair, brushing it out of his face a bit, "What if we can't fix it?" Kagome bit her lip.

"We will fix it InuYasha!" Kagome retorted, her unsure expression betraying her confident tone.

"And if we…"

"We just have to hope for the best InuYasha," Kagome smiled and tentatively reached for his hand, sighing in relief when he finished the task by pulling her hand into his. "And if everything doesn't work out as we want it too InuYasha, we'll make do with what we have. Besides, we'll still have what's important right?" InuYasha didn't reply, but dropped her hand in slight surprise. What's important, what does Kagome mean? Keh, sometimes she confuses me.

---------------------------------------

Next Chapter- As quick as his now human feet can carry him, InuYasha makes his way to Kaede's, and the elderly Miko discusses the situation at hand with InuYasha and Kagome. Will she have anything to say of help?