InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the Shadow of Destiny ❯ Chapter I ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I own the plot. But not InuYasha I also own all of the original character in this story please review and let me know what you think, and please no flames.


In the Shadow of Destiny
By
Firebird Phoenix
Chapter I

In the distant land of Mika, a Prophecy was foretold three hundred years past, by a wise woman from the mythical Oracle race, a race gifted with the ability of precognition; though in the Oracle race only the women are born with the gift of prediction. The Prophecy says that on a night when the Sky became as crimson blood, and the heavens cried, and the moon and sun became as one, an Oracle child shall be born; blessed with a power that will bring a thousands years of peace of plunge the world into eternal darkness. This child shall be known as the Shape-Shifter, with her ability to transform her body into any animal she wishes and her precognition she could predict the outcome for any battle; a great asset for anyone who could control her.

Mika was a peaceful land; only with the help of the Mark of Subjugation created two hundred years ago by the Spirit Elves of the north east. They once watched over the Spirit Forest, the forest wear all restless souls go to gain peace and move on. Two hundred years ago, Demons ravaged the land destroying crops, villages, and lives. They were unstoppable destroying everything in their wake; that is until the King Seth of the humans, they lived to the south east next to the White Sea. They allied with the Spirit Elves to stop them, using the magic of the Spirit Elves; they created a tattoo, the Mark of Subjugation. When placed on a demon it prevented the demon from harming anyone and sent the demons into everlasting bondage. The Mark of Subjugation is a swirled tattoo centered on the crest for the person who owns the demon, allowing the person to inflict any punishment from his imagination threw the mark, when the demon is sold to another person the former owners crest is removed by the Spirit Elves and replaced with the new master’s crest.

*~~~*

And for two hundred years Mika was at peace but like all things, it came to an abrupt end, when the warlord tyrant Kane invaded bringing with him, his army of dragons and the dreaded Drakmen.

The Drakmen a horrid race of bloodthirsty of human hybrids, descendents of dragons, vile evil creatures who crave carnage, and sacrifice any weak race they conquer, and their thirst has only gained in intensity threw their children not only do the Drakmen continue to sacrifice their prisoners but kidnap people as well for their ritual. No one truly knows why they sacrifice people; they worship no god, or have any religion, as far as anyone can tell, they do it for the thrill of death, the ability to hold someone’s life in their hands outside of the battlefield.

Kane cut a deal with the Drakmen in return for joining him they would be given five sacrifices for each year they served him, they of course agreed. The Dragon’s Kane commanded were even more fearsome then their descendants the Drakmen, though fewer in number, they are the ultimate hunters, the ability to see their prey for miles and breath fifteen meter fire from its mouth, they can crush the hardest steel in their paws, their scales are harder then diamonds, only the strongest swords can penetrate them. One can slaughter an army of a thousand effortlessly; no one knows what Kane offered them to persuade them to help him.


*~~~*

Sixteen Years Ago


A small child barely seven years of age was playing in a small forest dividing the Black Mountains from the Forbidden Desert, the Forbidden Desert was a wasteland, nothing lived or grew there, it was rumored that an oasis was hidden deep with in the desert but no dared to search for it, anyone who entered the Forbidden Desert never returned.

The child ran threw the forest laughing, her cheerful angelic laugh echoed threw out the forest, jumping around and splashing the puddles the night’s rains caused. She stopped when she heard a rustling the bushes she closed her eyes and listened carefully after a while nothing happened she thought what ever made the noise left but then they rustled again closer to her. Her childhood curiosity getting the better of her she pushed away and branches, but it wasn’t an amazing magical beast like she imagined but a small boy holding his knees, pushed against the tree his head was turned away from her, his eyes shut tight, he sat there shivering in fear, he wore dirty rags; his body was covered in bruises and lashes he had no shoes his feet were dirty covered in blood.

“Please don’t hurt me?” a small voice whimpered, the small girl stepped back surprised, no one had ever talked to her like that, this boy was frightened of her.

“Why would I hurt you?” she asked confused, she could hear the boy gasp he opened his eyes slowly turning to look at her, he had the most beautiful eyes she had ever seen, lovely golden eyes but they were filled with pain and fear, the boy fascinated her with his long silver hair with the cute little dog ears on the top of his head.

“My name is Kagome, what’s yours?” she smiled her sweet voice sounded like a hundred angels singing at once

“InuYasha,” he answered his voice shaking, Kagome smiled taking off the blanket that carried her food off her back, taking out two sandwiches she handed them to a surprised InuYasha, his eyes were sunken, and he was quite skinny for a boy his age most likely do to the starvation slaves suffered.

“Take them silly.” InuYasha reluctantly reached out his hand, he expected this to be some kind of human trick, and he would except the sandwiches then be beaten for taking them. But none of that happened, InuYasha ate sandwiches, Kagome had never seen a person eat so fast or enjoy the food so much, that’s when Kagome noticed the Mark of Subjugation on InuYasha’s stomach, she looked away with sadness in her eyes; she hated what happened to the demons, their freedom stripped away and thrown into bondage for eternity.

“Why are you in this forest InuYasha?” asked Kagome, InuYasha eyed Kagome up suspiciously

“I ran away from my bastard master.” Said InuYasha with spite in his voice, Kagome looked up and seen the orange sky from the setting sun

“I better get home before they start looking for me.” Kagome got up tying her bag over her shoulder, “Don’t worry InuYasha I won’t tell anyone you’re here.” InuYasha stared after the running girl, he had made a rule long ago never to trust humans but there was something about this girl, Kagome that made him trust her. The next day Kagome returned with even more food for InuYasha, and they would spend all day playing in the forest together.

Kagome walked threw the forest bringing InuYasha some new clothes; her simple tan dress was damp from the morning dew, she left early this morning she was existed to give InuYasha his gift she had been working on it all week and it was finally finished last night.

“InuYasha,” she called out, she found him fishing is a small brook that ran threw the forest and led threw her village though Kagome was never allowed to tell anyone where the Oracle village was, it was forbidden. Long ago the Oracles lived among the humans helping where they could, with predicting the outcome of the springs’ crops or the destiny of a new king, or when a demon was going to attack, and the Oracles were more then happy to help. But warlords and evil kings started seeking them out, to tell them the outcome of a war or battle, whether they will win or the enemy will give mush resistance. So the Oracle race decided it was best if they leaved, then warlords wouldn’t be drown to Mika in search of them and bringing their armies with them. And quietly without anyone’s notice the Oracles slipped away deep into the south west Black Mountains. They settled in a valley in the center of the Mountains, were the most common trail over the rocky mountain edge was extremely dangerous. But the Oracles found a secret cave which lead threw the mountains to the outside without having to go over. The Oracles used this passage to go get food and supplies from a near by village, no one there knew they were Oracles, everyone in the land of Mika believed the Oracles were extinct, which is what they wanted.

“Oh, hey Kagome,” Greeted InuYasha, Kagome ran up to him handing him the clothes

“I made these for you I hope you like them.” Said Kagome with a sweet smile; InuYasha looked at the clothes with pure shock in his eyes, InuYasha looked away from Kagome his bangs covering his eyes, slight tears streaming down his cheeks.

“What wrong InuYasha?” asked confused Kagome; even though she wasn’t a master seamstress her work couldn’t have been bad enough to make him cry.

“Thank you Kagome,” InuYasha replied

“Huh?” Kagome was confused, if InuYasha liked the gift why was he crying

“No one has ever given me anything before, a worthless half breed.” Said InuYasha spitefully, anger flashing in his eyes.

“Oh stop that InuYasha you’re not worthless, you are just as important anybody else, so no more about this worthless nonsense; and besides if you are worthless why did I spend all that time making you a kimono from the cloth of the firerat?” asked Kagome, she spoke so passionately and forcefully that InuYasha almost believed she would change the world’s thinking with her worlds.

“To bad everyone else doesn’t think like you.” Stated InuYasha, Kagome looked over at him

“The world isn’t here, it’s just you and me as long as we are in this forest who cares what the world thinks.” InuYasha smiled at Kagome, something he rarely did.

“InuYasha, you’re the closest I’ve had to a real friend.” Kagome smiled at the perplexed InuYasha, how could anyone unlike Kagome, InuYasha dismissed the comment as a mistake. After putting on the red kimono Kagome made, the two friends ran and played threw the forest, until InuYasha stopped his ear twitching, Kagome stopped looking back at the serious InuYasha,

“What is it?” she asked

“Kagome go hide, someone’s coming.” Said InuYasha

“But what about you,”

“Don’t worry, it’s me their after, I can protect you, now go hide.” Said InuYasha, Kagome’s eyes glistened with tears she hugged him so tightly like she would never see him again.

“No InuYasha, I know what they want and what will happen if the capture you, I wont let that happen.” Kagome cried, InuYasha looked over at Kagome sadly,

“And they’ll do worse to you if they catch you with me, I can’t let that happen.” InuYasha held her hand, looking deep into her tear filled eyes and smiled

“I’ll always remember you Kagome, and that not all humans are bad.” InuYasha leaped into a near by tree and fled away from Kagome

“InuYasha stop, I’m not human…” Kagome called after the long sense gone InuYasha, InuYasha knew who the trespasser was is was his master hunting for him and he knew the bastard would chase him and leave Kagome alone.

“I know you’re not human Kagome, I can smell it in your scent, but somehow you managed to rekindle my hope, and I will always be grateful for that.” InuYasha ran toward his master something he never imagined he would do, he despised the master’s scent, it wrenched his stomach but he would protect Kagome no matter what.

A leather whip rapped around InuYasha’s ankle yanking him to the ground, InuYasha tried to get up but an immense surge of pain inflicted itself upon his entire body, it felt as if his bones were being ripped from his body and his muscles were tarring each other apart.

*~~~*

Kagome fell to her knees crying; helpless to save InuYasha she hadn’t yet gained a full understanding of her powers or knowledge of how to use them; she could hear his screams of pain echo threw out the forest it ripped her heart out, her warm tears falling onto her hands fisted on her lap.

“Please,” she begged quietly, “Please give me the strength to help my friend.” And the next thing Kagome knew an immense surge of power irrupted inside her, her hands changed into furry paws, she looked into a near by puddle, into her reflection but it wasn’t as she remembered it, but a large gray wolf stared back at her. Her thoughts were torn away from her appearance when InuYasha’s screams echoed again, more determined then ever Kagome raced threw the forest floor, her powerful legs pushed her faster then Kagome could even imagine she could go.

*~~~*

InuYasha was curled into a small ball, the pain the Mark of Subjugation caused was nearly unbearable, something an escaped full demon would never suffer, but InuYasha was a half demon a lesser being, if he was killed by his masters punishments it didn’t matter, the Master could easily replace him.

“I took you in when no one else wanted you, out of the kindness of my heart, I gave you a roof over your head, I fed you, clothed you, I give you a purpose for you worthless life, and this is how you thank me by escaping, no one escapes Lord Akria especially some worthless filthy half breed mutt.” Lord Akria bellowed he was a short thin man, wearing fine dark blue robes with a gold trim, he had long beautiful back hair he kept in a high ponytail, his dark eyes burned with hatred, as he glared down at InuYasha. Lord Akria acted like he had done InuYasha some great favor that InuYasha should be indebted to him, grateful even.

“Bah, don’t kid yourself, you haven’t done me any favors, I have experienced real kindness and you don’t know the meaning of the word.” InuYasha looked up at Lord Akria with hatred and a rebellious passion in his eyes, InuYasha promised he would protect Kagome, even if it meant he had to return to the life of slavery. Kagome had given him hope and crave for freedom he was determined to be free again in this forest with Kagome. His master’s faced grew even angrier and an even more painful surge passed threw InuYasha’s body it felt like his insides were going to explode. Suddenly a large wolf jumped out of the bushes and lunged at Lord Akria, Lord Akria stumbled his fear petrifying his legs disabling him from moving, the wolf swiped at Lord Akria face, too frightened to move the wolf scratched his face, three long scratches over his entire face, the wolf slid to a stop on the opposite side of him, curling back it lips, snarling ferociously at him revealing sharp fangs. Lord Akria’s companion another human swung at the wolf, hitting her on her side and slamming her into a tree, Kagome let out a painful yelp before slamming to the ground.

“Come Lord Akira we must leave before, it comes too.” Said the servant helping his master to his feet, he was a tall plain looking man with short black hair with nice dark green robes though they didn’t even compare to Lord Akria’s, the servant picked up InuYasha holding him under his arm; Lord Akria fled the forest with InuYasha while Kagome lay unconscious at the base of the tree, her sleeping form changed back a tear escaping her eye at the failure to save InuYasha.

End Chapter, NOTE: I decided that the first chapter needed to be redone a little bit. I hope you enjoy the revisions and don’t forget to Read and Review.
I think considering Kagome’s personality, giving InuYasha food, making him clothes, and the like is normal for her, and besides I can’t imagine Kagome acting any other way when she meets InuYasha staved and in rags.