InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incubus Ambition ❯ Crash Course Pt 1 ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter 4:
Crash Course×
KAGOME WAS ON HER BED EFFORTLESSLY TRYING to yank a pair of skinny jeans over her hips. She sighed and stood up when she could finally button her pants, she then threw on a short-sleeved, gray shirt and a pair of boots. A car beeped outside of her house and Kagome charged down the stairs grabbing the ten-dollar bill off the counter that her mother had left for her.
“Hey mom Yuri is here. I'll be home sometime tonight!” she yelled back into the house before she shut the front door. Yuri's black car sat in Kagome's driveway and she ran over, throwing herself in.
“Hey, sorry,” she breathed out and shut the door.
“No problem,” Yuri laughed and looked out the back window as she started to pull out, “I'm glad you feel good enough to come out with the gang for once!” She scanned over Kagome, making sure she was not going to fall limp into a faint again. Kagome noticed her expecting stare, then laughed and nudged Yuri's shoulder with her elbow.
“Don't worry, don't worry. I am fine, trust me, I fainted . . . once. It's not the end of the world. Then missed a day of school, and I didn't even feel like I had to—it was my mom who wanted me to stay at home. I am ready to get out of the house now. Believe me.” Kagome explained with an edge of sheer determination in her voice. Yuri shrugged content with her friends answer and started driving to their destination.
Hojou was having the whole group over to his place to watch a movie, hang in the aboveground pool, and goof around. Summer was fading into fall and the odd weather changes were already making headway. This night's temperature was going to be agreeable, so the chance of people getting into the pool was high. She felt bad for ditching her friends at the beginning of the month and hoped she could make it up with some hang out time today.
As Yuri pulled into Hojou's driveway the above ground pool soon came into sight—it attached itself to a large porch, which attached itself to the house. Hojou's father was on deck cooking something on the grill that smelt amazing. Yuri and Kagome had been the last to arrive at Hojou's house and his father had already opened the door to greet them blissfully.
He pulled the two girls in for a double hug. Everyone loved Hojou's dad—he always welcomed everyone with open arms—of course, plus, he had a connection with most of the teenagers. Mr. Young use to always volunteer himself for babysitter. Yea, everyone's parents were practically best friends. There wasn't much of getting away with anything around here.
“Hello Mr. Young!” they laughed after he released them from his bear hug. He let them go sit down and he then retreated back to his grill in a rush; patting the boys on the back and rubbing a large hand in the girls' hair with a fatherly type of manner. They laughed in response and rolled their eyes in embarrassment.
Throughout the evening, Yuri made her way around chatting it up with her friends. Kagome was bombarded by two of her girlfriends that she use to be immeasurably close with, but they fell apart over the past summer—due to the immense amount of time given to Yuri. The girls sat on both sides of Kagome as soon as she seated herself on the couch.
Helen York began the conversation, her blonde curls bouncing along with her enthusiasm. “Kagome, I miss you! We need to get together sometime like old times,” she motioned a hand taking the three of them into consideration.
Kagome nodded with a smile.
“What have you been up to?” the other girl: Tori Bale, cut in before Kagome could answer. Tori's hair only differed from the other's hair by being straight instead of curly. “Who are you dating now? There are so many new hot guys in the school,” she threw a wicked smile across to Helen. Helen nodded acutely in response. They went silent looking expectantly at Kagome for an answer. She blinked at the sudden stop in chatting.
“Yea, I don't know,” She nodded slowly waiting for the girls to reply, but they just kept looking at her with slight disappointment in her answer. Kagome thought back to her summer, not so surprised that is was un-eventful. “Well, how was you guy's summer?” she asked, “I assume you were inseparable throughout.” The girls lit up at the question, obviously bored with the response from Kagome. They began to fill her in on all the details and Kagome soon droned it out with her own thoughts. Hojou spotted her on the couch, seeing that she was obviously not interested in the conversation her two friends were absorbing her in. He walked over to her with a wide smile.
“Kagome, I didn't see you over here all by your lonesome,” he said a little too loudly, making Helen and Tori stop in mid sentence. They looked up at Hojou and flashed him two flirtatious smiles.
“Hey Hojou!” they said in unison, knocking him out of persisting Kagome. The two girls weren't ignorant of his crush on Kagome and they begun to preen him.
“Speaking of guys,” Helen started glancing over at Tori and then to Hojou, “I've noticed that you are quite familiar with Chris Griffith and his gang of hunks?”
Kagome gawked at Helen, not knowing what to say to such an obviously nosy question. “Well, I guess you can say he and I are friends,” Kagome said haltingly. Hojou stood in front of the three not saying a word and Tori insisted upon Kagome next.
“I think you two look rather close, when is the first date?” she laughed peeking up at Hojou for his reaction and then continued, “Oh, but be careful, for my sake,” she added in putting a hand comfortingly on Kagome's shoulder. Kagome made a confused face and before she could ask any questions Helen jumped in.
“I'm positive that red headed girl and he have something going on, he might be two-timing you,” Helen said.
Kagome rolled her eyes and gave them a half smile. “I think you two have the wrong idea, Chris and I are just friends.” She paused and looked back and forth between the two girls finally remembering why they fell apart in the first place. “The red head's name is Ayame and I'll be sure to watch my step, you don't have to warn me.” Kagome said irritably. One thing she didn't want to think about was her run ins with this fireball of a woman. Rumors and gossip was the last thing she needed, and she didn't want these two girls to know anything more about Chris and her.
Helen and Tori let the subject end at that and began a different conversation with Hojou. The flirting became too much for Kagome to handle when the two eccentric girls pulled him onto the couch. The gesture was not something she wanted to be a part of and with all their attentions shifted Kagome pushed away and dove into the crowd. Hojou looked over his shoulder, noticing Kagome had ridden herself from the two loud females and himself. He searched the bodies in the room with confusion, but Tori and Helen kept a strong clench on his arms, wedging him in between them making him take Kagome's recent spot.
As Kagome rushed through the crowd feeling a bit claustrophobic, a hand sprung out and grabbed her upper arm. She gasped and turned around to face her best friend: Yuri.
“Hey, want to get out of here?” she asked loud enough for Kagome to hear, but no one else around them. Kagome nodded showing an immense amount of relief. They waved goodbye and quickly darted out of the house.
In the car they laughed about Yuri's experiences with the boys there; she seemed to be the center of attention when it came to XY chromosomes. Yuri began to continuously text into her phone and Kagome found herself constantly reminding her to pay attention and keep her eyes on the road. They came to a part of the roadway where sharp curves were every 100 meters. Yuri was cutting it close by not turning at all. Headlights came into view advanced towards them at an alarming rate.
“Yuri!” Kagome screamed and yanked the steering wheel. Yuri looked up from her phone in fright then also grabbed the wheel. Together they yanked the car out of the other cars course by taking a ninety-degree angle turn and smashing hard into a ditch. Kagome and Yuri were forced forward with a jolt, both slamming their heads off the dashboard with a loud crack.
Before Kagome or Yuri could react a loud creaking sound erupted around them. Kagome lifted her head up to look at Yuri. “Yuri, the car!” she yelled. With that Yuri and Kagome began tipping more and more, the girls let out a scream as the car began to roll, once, twice and then three times down a hill. Branches whipped and the world outside of the car spun around them in a flay of dark colors. Kagome thought they were going to fall off a cliff into a river like the movies, but thankfully the car came to a crashing stop, crushing the top of the car and sandwiching Yuri and Kagome into a tree. The wood began to creek and Kagome bit her lip, half conscious, praying that the car would finally stymie. Then everything went dark.
“Kagome, Kagome?” a sweet yet menacing voice questioned somewhere far away. Kagome started, opening her eyes into a squint. Everything was pitch black except for a gleam of silver hair that pooled down from his crown like rain. It fell onto her face. Two luminescent golden eyes stared at her. She focused on the figure, wondering where she was. Am I dreaming?
I had been driving in a car--Yuri's car. We were leaving. . . Hojou's party and Yuri was not paying attention to the road—I grabbed the wheel.
Her eyes widened and she turned her head. Yuri was still sitting beside her, awake and frantic, blood ran down her face from a gash on her forehead.
“Yuri?” Kagome began with panic rising in her voice. Alex cradled one side of her face and directed her gaze back into his.
“Ssh, Kagome, I called the ambulance. She will be okay. It's you I'm more worried about.” His face was in pain and then another flash of realization hit Kagome.
“The other car. . .” she started to explain.
“Sleep,” Alex said.
Kagome tried to stay conscious but she couldn't keep her eyes open and a thick fog soon crept at the edges of her vision; swallowing her whole.
When she came to again, she found herself in a hospital bed, an IV poked itself into her arm and a light blue gown barely covered her body underneath a cream-colored blanket. She cringed when a stabbing pain rushed through the side of her head. Once it dulled, she examined her room. A boy reclined himself making the most uncomfortable chair look like the best place to take a nap. His messy silver hair caught the gleam of the warm light and glinted with every breath he took. Alex?
As if answering her inner question he awoke, he raised his head steadily as if he had only been resting his eyes. As those golden pools met hers a subtle relief washed over every inch of him.
“Kagome, thank the god you're alright.” he sighed and pushed himself toward the side of her hospital bed. She blinked in confusion. Nothing was fitting together in her mind, first there was the other car coming towards them, then Yuri's car tumbling uncontrollably off the road and down a hill. Last thing she could remember was a strange boy leaning over her, and now she was in a hospital. None of it was making sense.
“You've been out for a good six hours,” Alex informed. Her head crinkled as she tried to comprehend.
“Where is Yuri?” she asked suddenly and desperately.
“On the other side of that curtain,” Alex nodded his head directing her gaze to the right where a thick blue-green curtain vertically folded itself across the room.
“Is she alright?” Kagome asked and started to sit up.
“Yes, she's fine,” he smiled down at her as if amused by her question. “But lay back down, you need rest,” he demanded in a stern tone. She ignored it and went to ask another question.
“Kagome?” sounded a voice from behind the curtain and she looked over quickly.
“Yuri?” she asked hopefully. With that, her friend walked sleepily out from behind it. Kagome squinted at her when she saw that Yuri had normal clothes on, although they were different from before.
“Kagome, I'm so, so, so, so, so sorry!” Yuri yelled as she rushed up to Kagome's bedside, “please forgive me, I was completely stupid for not watching the road and not listening to you. Look at you!” she said pointing at Kagome.
“No, please don't blame yourself. I'm just happy you are okay.” She observed that the gash on Yuri's head was not a gash at all but a small cut and a purple goose egg bubbled up underneath it. She looked between the two teens by her bedside. “What?” she faltered trying to absorb why she was in a hospital bed and Yuri wasn't, not that it upset her. It made her happy that she got the worst of the wreck rather than Yuri. She wondered why was Alex by her bedside too, where did he come from? Once again answering her thoughts Alex began to explain about the damage done to Yuri's car: it was totaled, the girls managed to run the car sideways into a tree. Alex was the first to drive past the accident and called 911.
“Oh, wow,” Kagome said under her breath. “It all happened so fast.” Her voice trailed off, her head ached and her neck was sore. She reached up to rub it but she met a large square bandage instead.
“You received a few stitches,” Alex answered to her perplexed expression. She lowered her hand and the room fell silent, all except for the beeping of the hospital machines made any sound.
“Where is my mom?”
“She went to get something from the vending machine on the first floor,” Yuri informed. Kagome nodded and turned her gaze to Alex.
“Why are you here, you should be home, not worrying about me.”
“Why should I be there and not here?” he asked seeming to be somewhat offended by her statement. His attitude made her feel guilty for even asking the question. He continued when she did not give him an answer. “I was worried about you. Okay? You always seem to be on the verge of falling apart. You are a very curious person; always getting yourself into sticky predicaments,” Alex said this as if it was a burden on him instead of her. She scoffed at him and was about to protest but was cut short when her mother walked into the room.
Once their eyes met Linda gasped and ran over to her taking Kagome into her arms kissing her cheeks and petting her hair. “Kagome, thank God you're alright!” She pulled away and looked her straight in the eyes. “Don't you ever, ever, scare me like that again.”
Kagome rolled her eyes. “It's not like I had any control of what happened, mom,” she said flatly, “but okay I will try.”
After a while, a nurse came in to check on her and informed Linda that Kagome would be kept under good watch in the hospital to see if there was any internal bleeding and to check up on her concussion. She insisted that if Kagome proved to be fine that she may be able to go home as soon as tomorrow evening. The nurse then insisted that Kagome be left to rest and that visiting time began the next day at nine o'clock. Kagome's mother and friends were reluctant in leaving her but the nurse finally pushed them out the door with promises of Kagome's well being.
Kagome thought it would be impossible to rest with everything that just happened. A car wreck that threatened Yuri's life and her own; then Alex coming to their rescue. I cannot believe it. I guess he was in the right place at the right time. She smiled to her self and let exhaustion lure her into sleep.