InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inked ❯ Favored by the Gods ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, etc. This story is for entertainment purposes only.

INKED

Author’s Note: Little angsty, 377 word drabble dealing with a younger Kaede’s views of her older sister. (Fate)

Favored by the Gods (Canon, young Kaede and Kikyou)

"Where are you going, sister? Can I come, too?"
It was a mantra she often repeated, the hopeful worship in her young brown eyes an accompaniment as she gazed up at the beautiful priestess whose soft, gentle smile could not dissipate the disappointment the young girl felt at the echoing answer to her repetitive question.
"No, Kaede. I must go alone. It is too dangerous."
There must have been something more in her wistful brown eyes, because her older sister, Kikyou, laid a soft hand on her young shoulder and squeezed gently in a small sign of regretful understanding. For a brief moment, a flicker of hope sparkled in the earnest young eyes, but Kikyou shook her head in silent negation, her small mouth firming.

There would be no arguing with her sister, though Kaede rarely indulged in childish complaints. She had learned from an early age to keep her more volatile emotions hidden. Her sister's serene, often distant demeanor had been a rather impressionable teacher.
The white hand fell from her shoulder to pick up the bow and arrows that were kept ever-ready beside the door to the small hut they shared with Grandmother. Kaede watched her sister sweep past the woven bamboo curtain without a backward glance.

The bamboo rustled and shivered back into place as if it had never been disturbed.
Kaede's small hands curled into fists that she hid in the folds of her worn kimono. A tear trickled down one cheek before she angrily wiped it away. Kikyou was always too busy to spend any time with her adoring younger sibling, and Kaede knew that what Kikyou did was important. She was a powerful priestess, a miko of no small ability and talent. Grandmother had often said that "young" Kikyou was destined for greater things that mere mortals could not hope to understand. "She has been marked by the gods' favor, little dove. She is not like us."
Sometimes, though, Kaede wished that there was less time for Kikyou to be taken by her duties and more time she could spend with her. Sometimes, she even wished that Kikyou was not so marked by the gods’ favor, and not so unlike the rest of them, mere mortals that they were…