InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Intuition ❯ Intuition ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or his adorable ears. All characters within belong to Rumiko Takahashi.



Intuition


Women are emotional creatures, some more than others, but it’s generally true. Women are also intuitive creatures. They range from the practically clairvoyant to those that occasionally have a gut feeling. Kagome was somewhere in the middle of both those groups. She learned early that her life went smoother when she paid attention to her emotions and intuition. So she paid attention. Sometimes.

So when her inner voice spoke up rather loudly on a Sunday evening three months before her approaching wedding to Inuyasha, the love of her life, she stopped what she was doing and listened. Granted the middle of a busy sidewalk may not be the ideal location for an internal conversation, but this was important.

Something was wrong. Something had been just a little … off in her relationship with Yasha the past two months. He was as loving and attentive as he’d always been, but lately it was like he wasn’t all there when they spent time together. He was pulling further and further away. She took note of it, but brushed it off as pre-wedding nerves. Now she felt … something. Something was wrong.

Her phone buzzed from her back pocket, jarring her from her musing. The caller ID flashed ‘Yasha’ and her mouth went dry. Ducking into the doorway of a closed café, she answered the call.

“Hey, honey. What’s up?”

“Hey, Gome. I stopped by your apartment, but you weren’t home. Where are you?”

He sounds like he’s pacing, she thought to herself. He’s nervous about something. Her stomach tried to tie itself into a knot.

“Umm, I just ran down to the corner store for some strawberries. I‘m on my way back already. Okay?”

“Okay. I’ll, uhh, I’ll be here.”

She ended the call and stared at the phone in her hand for a moment before resuming her walk home. She refused to speculate on what exactly would cause him to sound so edgy, but she couldn’t deny that her senses were agitated, just as they sometimes felt before a disaster whether natural or personal.

Rounding the corner, she greeted the concierge to her building with a small smile as he held the door open for her. She noticed her hand was shaking as she pressed the elevator button for the fifth floor. The deep breaths she took didn’t steady her as she hoped, they only left her feeling lightheaded.

She let herself into her apartment and toed off her shoes before heading into the living room. Yasha wasn’t in there, but she could hear him opening and closing the fridge door. A moment later he appeared in the doorway holding two bottles of water. He handed her one and greeted her with a quick peck on the lips and a ’hey’ before pulling her down to sit next to him on the sofa.

As dry as her mouth was, Kagome didn’t think anything would make it past the lump in her throat. She set the bottle and the box of strawberries on the coffee table and turned to look at him, but his head was down and his bangs hid his eyes. He seemed to be reading the label on the bottle of water, but she knew better. They sat in silence for a few minutes, each second more uncomfortable than the last.

Oh, Kami. I was right. He’s … he’s ending it. He’s ending … us.

In a voice husky with emotion, she said, “It’s over, isn’t it?” She wasn’t sure where she found the nerve to speak into the deafening silence.

His head came up suddenly. Eyes filled with surprise, pain and tears met her gaze. “How did …?
Dropping his head again, he sighed. “I’m so sorry, Gome. I didn’t know how to tell you, but I knew I had to before this whole wedding went any further. I, I just… It’s not there anymore.”

The tears shimmering in his eyes threatened to spill over as he raised his head again to look at her. “What we had at the start, it’s just not there anymore.”

She knew. She knew exactly what he meant. Of course she had noticed, but she was either too cowardly to call off the wedding, or too naïve, hoping it would fix itself. Maybe she was both. He was the brave one, and she should thank him for that. He saved them both from making a huge mistake.  

“I know,” she whispered. Her heart felt like it was being squeezed in a vise. “I’m sorry too, Yasha. I guess I was hoping we would find it again. And then things would be ok. I wanted it to be you.”

“I know, sweet,” he whispered back, as he reached up to wipe away the tears that tracked down her cheeks. “I wanted it to be you, too.”

He spoke the truth. She could see it in his eyes. Her bottom lip trembled at his words and she finally gave in to the pain streaking through her chest. He folded her into his arms, and cried with her over that which was lost and could not be regained.

When her tears slowed, he brushed her bangs back and asked her, “Do you want me to call Sango?”

She nodded, not trusting herself to speak. He was still being his usual thoughtful self and it helped her realize that she still wanted him in her life. There was no reason they couldn’t be friends, was there? Would he be open to that? It would be tough, going from almost married to just good friends, but she wanted to try. It felt right, somehow. She thought it over as he dialed Sango‘s number.

They still had other friends in common. Her best friend, Sango, was seeing Miroku, who was Yasha’s best friend. And Yasha worked with Kouga who had an on-again, off-again relationship with Ayame who was also friends Kagome and Sango. They’d be seeing each other all the time and it would be stupid to not speak.

“Hey Sango, it’s Yasha. Could you come up to Kagome’s for a minute please?” He paused as she agreed. “Okay, thanks.”

As he hung up, Kagome cleared her throat. Sango would be here in a moment as she lived on the second level of the same building and she needed to ask him now.

“Yasha, are we still going to be friends? It probably won’t be easy, I know, but I would like it if we could try.”

He pulled her into his embrace again. “Of course, we’ll still be friends, silly. I always want you to be a part of my life. I’ll always carry you in my heart, Gome. Don’t ever forget that.”

Her heart swelled at his declaration. It was exactly what she needed to hear. It didn’t heal the pain, but she knew she would be ok with time.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-