InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Diaries ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 7


So, now that he’d finished his latest entry in this most hated book, he thought about what a strange day it had been, indeed. Not only had he completed the damnable entry, but no one was mad at him. He couldn’t remember the last time that had happened!


He’d started the day on a strange note. After all the walking of the previous day, everyone had been exhausted when they had decided to make camp. But why had Kagome been so mad when he’d told her the plain truth about the dinner she’d chosen to make? It wasn’t his fault if the rice balls were lacking flavor, was it? And if she chose to call what she’d done to the trout, roasting, he’d rather eat them raw next time. After all, if he went to all the trouble of catching them the least she could do was to find a way to prepare them so that they were edible, right?


So why had she gotten that look, as she stomped her foot on the ground? And what did she mean about him being an inconsiderate lout? Didn’t she want to know how to make her cooking better? He just didn’t understand that wench, sometimes. But he really should have known better than to try and make her see his side of things, just then. The glare in her eyes should have been enough to let him know that it was not a good time to point out her shortcomings.


Of course, if he’d stopped and listened to Sango and Miroku, he would have seen the folly of the path he was pursuing. Apparently they had been able to see that he’d pushed the miko to the brink, but damn it, why hadn’t they tried harder to get his attention before she went over the edge? And why did she have to use that damn word to end the argument?


Keh!


After he’d dug himself out of his newest crater, he’d seen that the others were already situated for sleep. He’d hopped on the nearest branch, and closed his eyes for a little rest, only to wake with the dawn.

Not wanting to let the best traveling weather of the day go to waste, he’d done what needed to be done to rouse the others. Kirara was ready to begin the day, but he could always count on the cat, couldn’t he? Shippou had been a little harder, but when he’d lifted the kit up by the tail, Shippou had let out a yell that should have been enough to wake the dead. It hadn’t worked to wake the humans of the traveling group, though. Honestly, how could they live with their pathetic human hearing?


He’d had to dodge a hard right hook when he’d tried to wake Sango. Damn, but that was one strong woman! Even in her sleep, she was always ready to defend herself. Maybe her ‘wake up swinging’ attitude had something to do with how close to her that Miroku had chosen to sleep. Maybe he should have taken it for a warning from the gods.


When he’d knelt down to shake Miroku awake, the damn monk’s hand had massaged his ass! It didn’t take long for his own right hook to connect with the hoshi’s head. He’d known that the words that left his mouth were enough to make a drunken sailor blush, and that they had been even louder than Shippou’s yell. But why did his Kagome have to say that word, before her eyes were even fully open? Even a sleepy sit still packed a punch, apparently.


Keh!


While waiting patiently for the monk to reawaken, Kagome had suggested that she and Sango fix breakfast. He’d learned his lesson the night before, hadn’t he? He’d known that no good could come from a mad miko making a meal! So he’d politely refused. He’d even said no thanks ! He’d informed her that he would rather find something that he could eat. He probably shouldn’t have added that having Sango help would be about the only thing that could make Kagome’s breakfast worse than it normally was.


He’d used every bit of decorum and restraint that the situation warranted, he thought. So why did Sango tell him to run, as she led Kagome in the opposite direction? At least the slayer had kept her hand over Kagome’s mouth. He didn’t know why, but he’d just known that another mouthful of dirt had been in his near future.


Once everyone was finally awake, and the campsite packed away, most of the cool morning air had evaporated into one of the hottest days of the summer. But the air temperature was nothing compared to the temperature of the temperaments of his pack.


Since Kagome had refused to ride on his back, they were all relegated to walking. It made for a slow, hot journey. Every time he’d chanced a glance at one of his companions, the scowls of displeasure that he saw returned were enough to make him cringe. How in all the hells could Miroku be mad at him? The lump on the monk’s head would fade long before the memory of the hoshi’s hand on his ass would be forgotten!


But he was a fast learner, wasn’t he? He’d seen the futility in trying to plead his case to his friends. So he’d simply decided to put a little distance between himself and the others, and scout the area ahead.


No sooner than the first bend in the road took him out of their sight line had he heard them start talking, again. Maybe they’d forgotten how much better his hanyou hearing was than their weak human hearing, but he’d been able to hear that they were talking about him! And it most definitely was not complementary!


Being the kind, forgiving hanyou that he was, he’d decided to let it pass unpunished. He’d show them he knew how to manage his anger! Even though the effort of restraining his reactions was causing a twitch to form over his right eye, he’d been determined not to give in to the sudden desire to uproot the nearby forest.


When he’d heard Shippou use some of the same words that he’d used that morning, he’d given up all thoughts of restraint. It wasn’t just because the brat used those words to describe Inuyasha’s intelligence, but someone had to teach the kit a lesson, and apparently Kagome wasn’t planning on doing it. Why did she think it was okay to sit him for using ‘that language’, when all she did to the brat was to say something about not giving in to bad influences?


He’d made his approach to Shippou’s position at a dead run, ready to make sure the kit hit the ground as hard as he’d been forced to for saying those words, when out of nowhere a strange scent had made it’s way to his sensitive nose. Stopping short in the middle of a dead run was about as much fun as getting sat on a pile of rocks!


With twice the speed of a well aimed backlash wave, his mind had changed directions, There had been another demon approaching! His Kagome would need protecting! This was what he lived for. The thrill of an upcoming battle had taken over his entire being, so much so that his mind hadn’t registered the shouts from his friends telling him to wait for them.


One shout had reached his adrenalin flushed brain, though. It was the one word that was sure to get his attention, spoken by the one person who had the power to use it!


Keh!


Spitting out the dust and pebbles that had been part of the trail only a moment before, he’d jumped to his feet as soon as he was able. He’d only been doing what he was meant to do! Couldn’t she see that speed was of the essence? And what the hell had the others been talking about? There was no time to ‘devise a plan of action’. The damn monk thought too much, anyway. There was a time to think, and a time to do! This had definitely been a time to do!


So, chancing another swift introduction to the ground, he’d taken off again. But this time, he’d left her with a warning not to say that word when he was trying to protect her.

Reaching a clearing before the others, he’d spotted the strangest damn dragon he’d ever seen. Dragons were long and thin, weren’t they? Why the hell did this one look like it had swallowed half a mountain? The damn thing could hardly walk, it was so fat! It was waddling and swaying all over the place. What the hell was it’s problem? But he had to remove the danger, before the danger had a chance to get close to his Kagome, didn’t he? Protecting her was the one thing he knew how to do, and do well!


So why had she insisted on following him right into the last place he would have wanted her to be? Well, maybe not the last place, but pretty damn close to it. Honestly, how in the world had she managed to keep herself alive before she’d met him? Why did she never listen when he told her to stay back, and out of the way?


With her that close to the dangerous dragon, he’d had no choice but to engage the misshapen, flying lizard in an impromptu battle. But he was at his best when he made things happen on the fly, wasn’t he? All that thinking and planning that the others liked to do just gave him a headache, anyway.


Jumping into full battle mode, he’d charged at the big green meanie, only to pull his attack short as the behemoth seemed to trip, right before his eyes. Unfortunately, he could see that the height that the giant commanded would mean that he would be buried under massive amounts of dragon flesh! Not seeing any way out of the situation, he’d steeled himself for the impact, when he’d heard Kagome say the one word that caused an altogether different impact.


Keh!


Finding himself in a very deceptive deformity in the ground, he’d looked up to see he’d been sheltered from the monster’s body by the concave nature of the ground beneath him. Had Kagome been able to see the dip in the earth? Had she said that word just to save him from being turned into a dragon’s body art? No, that couldn’t be right, Kagome just wasn’t that smart, was she?

Wiggling his way out from under the massive bulk, he’d looked at his friends in time to see his miko’s self-satisfied smirk, and hear her use that ‘I told you so’ voice. Just what the hell had she meant when she’d looked at the others and asked if she’d been right, or if she’d been right? That hadn’t even made sense. And they said he was the thickheaded one! But he’d had to admit that she’d probably saved his life. He’d just wished she’d been able to find a less painful way to do it.


Regaining his footing, he’d noticed that the dragon was standing, too. It still looked damn silly, with it’s long body and big gut. The ungainly way it moved belied the usual grace of the dragon clan, but that should just make it easier to bring down, right?


With that thought in mind, he’d started circling around to the dragon’s back, preparing an attack from the rear. It was a good thing that the beast’s attention was focused on Kagome and the others, so that he could get close without being seen. But just then she’d called his name. When he’d turned to see what could be important enough to interrupt his carefully planned attack, she’d said that wicked word, again.


Keh!


As he hit the ground face first, he’d felt the air rush over his prone body. The dragon had been in the process of shifting it’s wings while he’d been sneaking up on it’s backside. He’d realized that he would have been decorating the tree on the opposite side of the clearing if Kagome had not said that word. But why the hell did staying undamaged have to hurt so much?


Popping back up, like a hyperactive hanyou should, he hadn’t even had time to get his wits gathered when he’d heard that despised word leave her mouth, again.


Keh!

What the hell could she be thinking? What in the world had scrambled her brains, this time? The first time, maybe she had helped him out. The second time, she had saved him from an unexpected flight. But this time? What purpose could this have possibly served?


Just then the massive tail of the overweight monster passed over his head, close enough to pull a few silver strands with it. So, okay, maybe Kagome had a plan when she’d said that word the third time, but couldn’t she think of another way to get his attention, or make him see the benefits of changing his position? Hadn’t she ever heard the word ‘duck’? Maybe just a simple ‘watch out’ would do.


Snarling into the dirt, he’d thought about just staying there. He’d known that he’d end up there again, anyway. But when he’d seen the dragon doddering towards Kagome, he couldn’t stay where he was. He had to protect her.


The only thing troubling his mind was that the dragon didn’t seem to want to attack the others. But then, you could never trust dragons, could you? So while the giant collection of scales neared his friends, he’d rushed at it from behind. He would have been successful, too, if the damn kit hadn’t called out to the others, asking what the dog thought he was doing.


Before he was close enough to strike, the dragon whirled on him, and took a deep breath. He had known what would come next. When the breath was expelled, it would be a superheated mass of flames, aimed right at him. He’d welcomed that word when he’d heard it that time, and felt the immediate pull around his neck.


Keh!


Even as he’d hit the ground, he’d felt the ends of his hair being singed, and the tips of his unprotected toes being bitten by the flames. Taking stock of his relatively uninjured state, he’d given thanks to the kami for that one little word, and it’s effect on him. But, damn it all, he’d never tell her that.

Raising his head carefully, he been in time to see the dragon pass by his friends, with nothing more than a curious sniff. The waddling wanderer made it’s way to a cave in the rocks behind his pack. He could swear that the dreaded dragon let out a sigh of relief, as it settled it’s bulk down on it’s bedding. Apparently this was it’s home.


But why the hell did Kagome think it would be a good idea for her to approach the resting giant? What was she babbling about? How could she think she knew more about dragons than he did? If that dragon was a mother to be, he’d eat his sword, sheath and all! And why wasn’t she with him, tending to his tender toes, and bruised nose?


Just then the dragon had begun the most ear-splitting series of howls that he’d ever had the displeasure of hearing. Interspersed between the unnerving noises were grunts and groans that reverberated in his bones! No matter how big it was, how could one being make that much noise? And what had Kagome been reaching into her bag for? Why had she taken out the herb that was meant to settle an upset stomach?


And just why the hell should he ‘hit the ground’? Even if the others were now lying on the dirt, he’d be damned if he was going to do that again! He’d had his share of dust in his nose for one day! That was when he’d heard that wold again, followed by the biggest belch in the history of the world!

Keh!


The cloud of poisonous fumes that accompanied the massive air bubble had passed harmlessly overhead, while Kagome finally came over to check and see if he was alright. Looking at the sad state of his dusty, dirty clothing, she had clucked her sympathy, while rubbing ointment on all the bruised places she could find.


He’d had to admit that it had felt nice to have her attention like that. She’d been very sympathetic and apologetic over having to use that word so many times. She’d insisted that she’d only done it to keep him safe.


Even though he’d no longer been upset over being sat, he’d really not wanted her to know that. So he’d made sure, at top volume, no less, that she knew he never wanted her to use that particular word again. He hadn’t thought it would work, but it was worth a shot, wasn’t it?


That particular display of pretended temper was what had landed him in this tree, with the rapidly filling book. Looking down, he read over his entry, as Kagome and the others sat with the now svelte dragon. What he read was:

I protected my friends from an enraged dragon.
Everyone knows that an animal in pain is dangerous.
Now I have the bruises, and the beast has new friends.


Closing the book on his latest entry, he prepared to take it to Kagome. As he jumped from his perch, a new and slightly devious thought entered his mind. His sly grin grew as he walked toward the unsuspecting miko.


“Oi, Kagome, I think I found another bruise.” The words were accompanied by him pointing to the corner of his mouth. “And I think I know how to make it feel better.” It was worth a shot, wasn’t it?