InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Toward Tomorrow ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to IB4Y on May 17, 2011. Won 3rd place.

P Prompt 6

Title: Toward Tomorrow
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Genre: General/Romance
Word Count: 500
Summary: Alternate ending to the Manga/Inuayasha the Final Act. Upon purifying the Shikon no Tama Kagome and Inuyasha contemplate the well and their future.


It was done. The jewel was gone, wished forever out of existence. Kagome stood before the Bone-Eaters Well as she remembered the horrible experience in the meido before Inuyasha had reached her. She had been so afraid but hadn't doubted that he would find her. And find her he did, drawing her into his strong embrace. Her lips still tingled from the touch of his. She sighed, reaching out to touch the wood of the well. The magic was fading. No longer would it serve as a conduit across time.

A clawed hand reached out, covering hers where it rested on the well. “It feels like the power is dying” he said quietly.

She nodded. “With the Shikon no Tama gone, it is no longer needed. The power is fading rapidly.”

Strong arms suddenly wrapped around her, pulling her against a strong chest. Kagome felt his chin rest on top of her head. “There is still enough left for one final trip” he managed to choke out. “You could go back-” he shuddered, unable to continue.

Kagome turned, wrapping her own arms around him. “No Inuyasha. I made my choice long ago, when I promised I would stay by your side.”

He tightened his grip on her. “But your family, your future, I can't ask you to give that up for-”

She cut him off. “You're not asking me, I'm doing this for myself. What do I have back there? My future? I wouldn't have one, not without you. I would never be happy. As for my family, they will understand. Mama and I spoke about this not too long ago. We knew there was a possibility that the well would seal. She told me to follow my heart and that is what I'm doing.” She sighed. “I only wish I could have said goodbye.”

Inuyasha was in shocked awe. “Kagome” he whispered before placing a gentle kiss to her temple. His eyes landed once more on the well. Doubt filled him, could he really let her give up so much, for him? A thought entered his mind. “I could go with you” he offered. “You would still have your family, your future.”

Kagome shook her head. “No, you could never be happy there. And neither would I, not anymore.” She turned and stared at the well. “This is my time now, my home. That world on the other side of the well, that is the future. And the future is not something we enter. The future is something we create.” She turned to meet his golden gaze, her face set in determination, eyes shining with love. “And we will create that future together.”

He nodded. “Together.” Drawing her close, their lips met in a gentle kiss. Drawing back he said “Come on, let's go home.”

“Yes let's go home” she said as they headed towards the village, still wrapped in eachother's embrace.
Converting /tmp/phpBu2T2n to /dev/stdout