InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Lessons Learned ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to At First Tweak on December 4, 2011 for Prompt #58 Making Fire.

Title: Lessons Learned
Author: ananova
Rating: K
Genre: General/Friendship
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 300
Summary: A forgotten lighter and a fire in need of lighting. Takes place in early canon before they meet Shippou.
-----------------------------

Kagome frantically rifled through her bag before her shoulders slumped in defeat. It wasn't there. She turned and looked at the small pile of wood. Inuyasha would be back soon with dinner, expecting her to have a fire ready to cook it. He would undoubtedly be angry if it wasn't ready. But how was she supposed to start a fire without her lighter?

After a few more moments her shoulders lifted. “I can do this. Who needs a stupid lighter to make a fire?” A determined look upon her face, she set to work trying to build a fire.

As Inuyasha made his way back to camp his ears twitched, picking up angry muttering. He stepped into the clearing only to stop in shock at the sight of Kagome kneeling before a pile of wood and angrily rubbing two sticks together. But what shocked him into silence was the curses she was mumbling as she tried to get even a small spark.

He couldn't help it, he snorted. Kagome's head shot up at the sound as she dropped the sticks. Inuyasha opened his mouth to complain that the fire wasn't ready, then he saw the tears she was fighting and he swallowed his words.

“Feh, you'll never get it started if you do it that way.” He set his catch down and crouched next to her. “Here,” he said, grabbing a couple of nearby rocks, “I'll show you how it's done.” He proceeded to get the fire going, pretending not to notice the grateful look she sent his way. Though he did appreciate the cup of ramen she gave him as a supplement to his fish.

They both learned something new. Kagome, how to build a fire. Inuyasha, that being nice can be a good thing.


Converting /tmp/phppuRiRT to /dev/stdout