InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ The Chase Through the Forest ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on February 12, 2012 for drabble #17 Pursuit. Won 3rd place.

Title: The Chase Through the Forest
Author: ananova
Word Count: 487
Prompt: Pursuit
Genre: Action/Adventure/Friendship/Hurt/Comfort
Rating: T
Warnings: None

Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome
Summary: Kagome gets into some trouble when she wanders away from camp. Will Inuyasha find her in time?

-----------------------

Kagome ran as fast as she could. Her lungs burned for air as she gasped and panted, her legs burned from the unaccustomed exercise, and various cuts from the foliage around her stung but still she ran. She could sense them behind her, relentless in their pursuit. Their jeering calls made her flinch. They were gaining on her.

Why, oh why had she wandered away from camp? She knew better than that. But she thought she had seen some herbs that Kaede didn't have in her garden and had thought to collect them for her. She didn't realize how far she had wandered until she tried to go back and became lost. Seeing a fire, she had thought she had found camp. Instead she had stumbled upon a group of bandits who had leered at her state of dress. She had managed to escape but not before her clothing was torn, and they had immediately chased after her.

She stumbled over a fallen tree branch, crying out as she fell. She scrambled to her feet to run but knew it was too late. Kagome shut her eyes as a hand grabbed her shoulder, immediately struggling against its grip. Suddenly the hand was gone and she heard the unmistakeable sound of flesh striking flesh. Even as she turned she felt relief fill her. The bandits all lay unconscious on the ground, a growling Inuyasha crouched in the middle of their bodies.

Straightening up, Inuyasha turned to fix the girl with a glare, opening his mouth to lecture her on how stupid she was for leaving camp. He never got the chance as she threw herself into his arms and started to sob against his chest. His anger faded as her tears fell. Instead, he sighed and wrapped his arms around her, letting his own relief that he had found her time fill him. Glaring once more at the broken and bleeding bodies lying on the ground, the hanyou effortlessly lifted the girl into his arms and leaped off in the direction of a stream.

Setting her down, he removed his haori and draped it over her shoulders to preserve her modesty, then began to tenderly treat her various scrapes and bruises in silence.

“I'm sorry,” Kagome murmured softly, unable to meet his gaze.

“Feh. It's alright, I got there in time.” One hand rose to gently caress her cheek, careful of the bruise in the shape of a hand print that was there. He resisted the urge to go back and beat the hell out of the bastards who had harmed his Kagome a second time.

She lifted her head to smile at him, lifting a hand to cover the one on her cheek. “You always do.”

Inuyasha stared into her eyes and silently promised. 'And I always will.' He would pursue her to the ends of the earth and beyond to ensure her safety.


Converting /tmp/phpIEEaeH to /dev/stdout