InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Nightmare ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Issekiwa on April 11, 2012 for Prompt #147 Loan or Lone. Won 3rd place.

Title: Nightmare
Author: ananova
Rating: T
Prompt: Loan or Lone (Issekiwa)
Genre: Action/Adventure/Friendship
Word Count: 250
Warnings: None
Summary: After a battle with an oni Kagome is plagued by nightmares of what could have happened.

------------------


Kagome prayed as she notched her last arrow. The oni they were fighting was strong and had already injured Inuyasha. As it moved to strike him with it's spiked club she released her lone arrow, watching as it streaked forward. “Hit the mark.”

“Nooo!” she cried as it lodged in the club as the oni swung, striking Inuyasha with a sickening crunch. He laid there, unmoving.

“Inuyasha!” She jerked awake. Strong hands gripped her shoulders, easing her into a sitting position.

“Easy wench, I'm right here.” Her head jerked up, meeting his worried eyes. Then she flung herself into his arms.

“It was horrible. My arrow missed and the oni, it...it...”

“Keh. Your arrow didn't miss, it shattered it's club, giving me the opening I needed. Stop worrying about things that didn't happen.”

His words brought the real memory. She had despaired when her arrow missed the oni, striking it's club instead. But as Inuyasha had said, it had still done it's job, shattering the club. She gave him a weak smile. “I guess my fears of what could have happened took over my dreams.”

Inuyasha smirked at her. “You don't gotta be afraid about anything like that. It'll take more than a lone oni to beat me. Now sleep.” He gently lowered her back down, then sat down. “I'll be right here.”

Kagome smiled again, allowing sleep to claim her armed with the knowledge that he was safe and nearby.