InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Too Quiet ( Chapter 39 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on June 4, 2012 for drabble #29 Calm Before the Storm and won 3rd place.

Title: Too Quiet
Author: ananova
Word Count: 410
Prompt: Calm Before the Storm
Genre: Friendship
Rating: K
Warnings: None
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Before reaching Mt. Hakurei Kagome is overcome by feelings of dread and it is up to Inuyasha to reassure her.

----------------------

Kagome shivered as she stared into the fire. Her head jerked up as something was settled onto her shoulders and she turned to look into Inuyasha's worried eyes. “Inuyasha?”

Instead of answering he placed a hand on her forehead. “Well, you don't have a fever,” he said with relief. He became defensive as he saw her confused look. “What? I don't need you getting sick again.”

She smiled, knowing that he was merely worried for her health after her recent cold. “I'm fine, but thank you.” She tugged the haori a little closer.

“Feh!” He crossed his arms over his chest, a light blush on his face. “What are you doing up anyway?”

Kagome shrugged. “I couldn't sleep. Too much on my mind I guess.”He glanced at her sideways. “Wanna talk about it?” She was being too quiet for his own peace of mind. Kagome was a lively person, it wasn't right to see her so quiet and still, obviously worrying about something. How would he fix it if she didn't tell him?

She bit her lip. “I guess I'm just worried about Naraku. It's been so quiet recently, no rumors of shards or Naraku. And I've got this feeling that this is just the calm before the storm, that things are going to go horribly wrong.” She shook her head. “Listen to me, worrying about nothing. Just ignore my ramblings.” She started to get up but a hand on her arm stopped her.

“I've felt it too,” he said quietly. “Naraku's up to something. As much as I want to believe he's just licking his wounds, I know that's not the whole story. But,” and he focused his intense golden eyes on hers. “No matter what happens, I will protect you.”

Kagome could only stare at him as those words resonated deep within her. “Inuyasha,” she whispered before throwing her arms around him and hugging him tightly. “Thank you.” She blushed as she realized what she had just done and released him, hastily retreating toward her sleeping bag. “I should get some sleep, got to get up early,” she stammered.

An equally red-faced Inuyasha watched her settle down, still wrapped in his haori, before he leaped up onto the branch above her. Watching over her he swore he would keep his promise. He would protect her, with his own life if necessary.