InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Careless Words ( Chapter 40 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on June 4, 2012 for drabble #30 Callous and won 3rd place.

Title: Careless Words
Author: ananova
Word Count: 424
Prompt: Callous
Genre: Friendship
Rating: K+
Warnings: None
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: A careless comment made in the heat of the moment.

-----------------------

Kagome scowled as she watched Inuyasha rifle through her bag, stuffing his face. “Inuyasha! That's supposed to be for everyone to share!”

“Feh, I'm hungry wench. You took too long!” He continued to shovel food into his mouth.

Kagome's irritation only continued to grow as she was sprayed with crumbs of food. She'd been having a bad day as it was and this was the icing on the cake. “Baka! Don't talk with your mouth full! You're so rude, no consideration for anyone. You'd think you were raised by animals!”

She watched as Inuyasha stiffened then shot her a nasty look as he dropped her bag. “Fine!” He turned and leaped off into the trees.

Kagome frowned at his hasty departure. What had she said? “Oh no,” she whispered with dread. She had known that his upbringing was painful, having lost his mother at a young age and being forced to raise himself. How could she have thrown that in his face with such a callous remark?

She quickly ran after him, knowing where he would go. She found him seated high up on Goshinboku. “Inuyasha, I'm so sorry,” she called up to him. “I didn't mean it.” She slumped when she realized he was ignoring her. “I had a bad day and I took it out on you. I'm sorry,” she whispered before turning to leave.

A thump behind her had her whirling around once more. Inuyasha stood there, an unreadable look on his face. “Mother did teach me manners,” he said stiffly. “Though the rest of the world did it's best to beat them out of me. I do know that when someone apologizes it should at least be acknowledged.”

A tear slipped from the corner of her eye as she stared at his stony expression. “I'm sorry Inuyasha, it was wrong of me to insult both you and your mother that way. I really didn't mean it.”

Inuyasha crumbled at the sight of her miserable face. “Feh, quit apologizing already wench, I forgive you. Not like I haven't heard worse in the past. Besides, I was being rude. Bad habits are hard to break. Come on, I'm still hungry.”

Kagome laughed as she let him lead her back to the others. He was right, bad habits are hard to break but she would do her best to ensure that didn't make that mistake again. Her friendship with Inuyasha was to precious to risk over some careless and callous words.