InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Worth Fighting For ( Chapter 42 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to Inuyasha Fanfiction on June 26, 2012 for drabble #33 Inappropriate and won 2nd place.

Title: Worth Fighting For
Author: ananova
Word Count: 500
Prompt: Inappropriate
Genre: Friendship
Rating: K+
Warnings: None
Characters: Inuyasha and Kagome
Summary: Kagome discovers a harsh reality when they stop at an inn.

-------------------------

“It's inappropriate!”

Kagome paused outside the door. She didn't mean to eavesdrop but it would be rude to interrupt the innkeeper and his wife. The woman was a bit of a shrew, no need to make her angrier by interrupting.

“I know but what can we do? They're paying customers. I'm sure the houshi and the Taijiya have things well in hand.”

Kagome frowned. 'What do Sango-chan and Miroku-sama have to do with what's bothering her? Unless,-' Her eyes narrowed slightly before she shook the thought off. The wife was definitely not Miroku's type.

“Why did you even let him stay? Bad enough with the little ones but they're easy enough to ignore-”

'Him? Little ones?' Kagome felt a sinking sensation. 'She doesn't mean-'

“And that little whore! The way she dresses! I've seen how close she stands to him, how affectionate she is with him! It's inappropriate and I don't want it happening in our home!”

Kagome shook with rage, hand tightening on the door as she readied to throw it open and give the woman a piece of her mind. How dare she!

A clawed hand covered her own, halting her actions, and tugging her away from the door. She turned to meet Inuyasha's stone-face gaze. “Leave it alone,” was all he said as he began to pull her back to their room.

“But-”

“Drop it Kagome!”

“It's not right! You haven't done anything wrong,” she whispered, lowering her head as tears filled her eyes. Tears for her friend and the way he was always treated.

Inuyasha sighed, pulling her into his arms. “It's just the way things are. It's not worth it to try changing their minds. They'll think what they want to think.” He rested his chin on her head. “I'm just sorry you had to hear it.”

Suddenly, screeching filled their ears. “I won't have it! Get out! Get out! This inappropriateness will not  be tolerated in my home!”

Kagome pulled away from Inuyasha to shoot the old woman a nasty glare. “We were just leaving,” she told her icily. “Something about this place stinks.” She grabbed Inuyasha's hand and pulled him to their room to retrieve the others. “A bath and a roof over our heads isn't worth this aggravation,” she huffed. “We can just camp out again.”

“Kagome,” Inuyasha murmured, staring at her in shock. She had been the one pleading for a night in the inn and now she was going to give it up? For him?

She gave him a smile. “Some things, some people, are worth fighting for.” She squeezed his hand.

His eyes softened and, uncaring of the screeching woman watching them, he pulled her into a strong embrace, placing a gentle kiss to her temple. “Thank you, for more than you could ever know.”

Kagome smiled again. “I've got a pretty good idea.” They gathered their friends and left.