InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Looking Beneath the Surface ( Chapter 47 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to IB4Y2.0 on August 16, 2012 for P-Prompt #20 - “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.”


Title: Looking Beneath the Surface
Author: ananova
Rating: K+
Genre: Friendship
Universe: Canon
Word Count: 299
Summary: Sango learns to look beneath the surface of Inuyasha and Kagome's relationship. Set soon after she joined the gang.

----------------------------

Sango glared at Inuyasha where he sat stuffing his face with ramen, not one word of appreciation passing from his lips. Her face twisted into a look of disgust at the belch that escaped him before he turned and opened his mouth.

“Oi, where's the rest of the ramen, wench?”

Sango shook her head, turning to give the miko from the future an exasperated look. “Kagome-chan, how can you put up with his behavior all of the time?”

“Oi!”

She ignored Inuyasha and continued. “He's rude, has terrible manners and calls you horrible names. Why do you let him treat you so poorly?”

Kagome gave her a gentle smile before her eyes drifted to Inuyasha. “You just don't understand Sango-chan.” Her words stopped the angry hanyou in his tracks. “You don't know Inuyasha like I do. Sure, he acts that way but he's a good person.”

Sango rolled her eyes. “I know he's a good person but there's no excuse for his behavior.”

Kagome continued to smile as her eyes remained fixed on Inuyasha. “You're not looking beneath the surface. All his life, he's been pushed away. All of this? It's just an act. He's just trying to see how far he can push us before we push him away as well. After all, only those who are willing to risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.” Her eyes softened. “He hasn't realized yet that nothing he does will make me drive him away.”

Inuyasha flushed as he turned away, his ears twitching. “Keh!”

Sango contemplated the pair thoughtfully as Kagome smiled and walked over to sit next to him, their fingers grazing and lingering over the container of ramen she handed him. Perhaps she had misjudged the situation after all.