InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Inuyasha Drabbles ❯ Lonely Vigil ( Chapter 61 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Originally posted to The Inuyasha Fanfic Contest on August 21, 2012 for Prompt #296 Hermit. It won 3rd place.

Title: Lonely Vigil
Author: ananova
Rating: K+
Prompt: Hermit (The Inuyasha Fanfic Contest)
Genre: Friendship/Angst
Word Count: 250
Summary: Miroku tries to talk some sense into Inuyasha after Kagome returns home. Spoilers for end of canon.

---------------------

Miroku sighed as he looked at the figure staring morosely into the dark depths of the well, heedless of the pouring rain. He shook his head and approached, extending his bamboo umbrella over the hanyou. “Inuyasha, you have to stop this.”

Inuyasha merely continued to stare into the well, his claws digging into the wood to keep from being dragged away.

“You are turning into a hermit, staying here night and day with no interaction with anyone else. You haven't left this spot, not even to eat. This isn't healthy.”

Again, there was no response.

Miroku closed his eyes, knowing this last point might backfire on him. “Would Kagome-sama want this?”

That got a reaction. Inuyasha's head shot up as he glared at the monk. “Don't-”

Miroku rapped him on the head. “Think! What would she say if she could see you?”

Inuyasha slumped. 'Kagome, she wouldn't want this.' He glanced once more at the well. 'But-' He was afraid to leave it in case the magic came back while he was gone.

Miroku saw his resolve wavering and struck. “I'm not saying you can't keep trying to get through. I'm merely saying that you can't let it rule your life over everything else.”

Inuyasha slumped completely, then pushed himself to his feet.

Miroku patted him on the back. “There, let's get you someplace warm and dry, and some food.”

Inuyasha let him lead him away with one last glance at the well. 'I'll be back,' he silently promised.