InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Jolene ❯ Jolene ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Now usually I don't do the whole country thing. I'm a Japanese music person and very into 70's rock <I know that doesn't seem to meld but it does... in my mind>, but this song fits the Kagome and Inuyasha and Kikyo thing like perfectly. The first chapter is from Kag's POV, the second is from Kikyo's. This not AU but it's after the defeat of Naraku. Why do I do two pov with the same lyrics? You'll see.

I have to thank Vana aka LizardQueen1 for betaing for me. She did a great job, and she corrected so much for me.

Disclaimer: I am neither Rumiko Takahashi nor Dolly Parton, I'm merely a very weird girl from Connecticut who happened to see a connection between the two.

Lyrics

I sit quietly in the front room of the house that Inuyasha and Miroku made for us, "us" being Inuyasha and myself. We live here together- Inuyasha and I- along with Shippo, as a sort of family. I finished school about 3 years ago and we beat Naraku about 2 years ago, the jewel is in my possession, and Inuyasha makes sure no one attacks me. I want to pretend that he does it for my sake, the small fact that he can't stand the thought of seeing me hurt and most of the time I think he does, but there are other times, when it's late at night, that I think differently.

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene
I'm begging of you please don't take my man
Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene
Please don't take him just because you can

Kikyo, my pre-incarnation, she still exists in this world. I want to believe it's all because she still wants Inuyasha dead and can't sleep until she sees him dead, I mean she loved Naraku, didn't she? She betrayed us enough times to him to make that idea seem totally plausible. Inuyasha won't believe that though, he still loves her.

I've always known I couldn't compete with her since the very beginning. From the moment he muttered, "You're right, Kikyo was cuter," the first time we met, I've always known I would be second to her.

We don't look that much the same anymore, not that I thought we ever did. I have grayish blue eyes and my figure is more mature, seeing as I've become older than her. I figure from the way Kaede and the villagers describe her that she used to have a good heart, use to love anything that was human at least. I'm sure she even loved Inuyasha. I mean if she wanted an out of the jewel that much, couldn't she have gotten any demon to do it?

Your beauty is beyond compare
With flaming locks of auburn hair
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green
Your smile is like a breath of spring
Your voice is soft like summer rain
And I cannot compete with you, jolene


I know that something inside of Inuyasha keeps him here with me. He comes home almost every night, and the nights he doesn't are after we have gotten in a big fight.

But sometimes, sometimes he'll whisper Kikyo's name in that needy voice that he's gotten when he doesn't know where I am on a new moon. And it tears me apart on how he still thinks of me as her sometimes when we make love. That's the thing that has cut me the deepest, and caused the greatest fights between us.

And then he'll deny that he ever did it, and I can't argue with him, because I don't want to lose him, I love him too much. He's an addiction to me.

He talks about you in his sleep
There's nothing I can do to keep
From crying when he calls your name, jolene


I know that if Kikyo beckoned he would follow her to hell, but I haven't seen her since the defeat of Naraku, when she broke into sobs at the loss of him. And still Inuyasha would follow her to hell, they've died for each other once before, I know they would do so again.

And I can easily understand
How you could easily take my man
But you don't know what he means to me, jolene


Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene
I'm begging of you please don't take my man
Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene
Please don't take him just because you can

I start to feel tears fall down my cheeks as I think about how Kikyo could steal the one person I love more than myself. But even now I'm not sure if I love myself. If I did I wouldn't let Inuyasha put me through this turmoil, this emotional distress.

I hear the door shut and see Inuyasha walk into the front room, bearing a rabbit and some fish. He puts them down and wraps me in his embrace, whispering sweet nothings, wanting to know why I'm crying.

I push him away and dry my eyes, putting it off as nothing. I know he doesn't believe me, the way he tries to say something tells me everything.

"I need to go for a walk. Get some fresh air. I'll pick up Shippo from Sango and Miroku." I whisper, walking to the door. "Would it be too much trouble to start dinner?"

Inuyasha shakes his head, picking up the discarded meat. But then he pauses. "The pup can stay at their place tonight. I haven't spent time alone with you in awhile, I should make it up to you."

I nod, emotionless, and walk away from him without so much as a goodbye. I'm afraid of what the night will bring, of what his touch will do to me. And though I fear that it won't be my name he will be crying out tonight, I know I will never love another man.

I wrap my arms around myself to conserve warmth as I start off on my journey to find my pre-incarnation, hoping she's nearby.

You could have your choice of men
But I could never love again
He's the only one for me, jolene


I know I've been walking for awhile, but I sense Kikyo, as weird as it sounds, and I sense her nearby. I'm afraid for a moment that she has finally decided to bring Inuyasha to hell with her.

Somehow that doesn't anger me like it use to, though why it is I don't know. I still have the same insecurities as I did 3 years ago.

We both get to the clearing at the same time, and a silent greeting is passed between us.

"Kikyo." I whisper, letting my arms drop to my side in a sign that I'm not afraid of what she could do to me, even though I fear that her choice might tear me in half. "We need to talk."

I had to have this talk with you
My happiness depends on you
And whatever you decide to do, jolene

Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene
I'm begging of you please don't take my man
Jolene, jolene, jolene, jolene
Please don't take him even though you can

And that would be the first chapter, seeing as there is a second chapter after this. That would make sense wouldn't it! Anyway, I'm really, really hyper right now, I fed Vana chocolate and being an empath, her hyperness has gone to me. And that never happens!
*Deep breath*
Anyway, if you would like to see the next chapter, please review. And you know what I don't care what you review. If it sucks tell me, just be creative in telling me! So PLEASE REVIEW!
Vana: ...It sucks...
Kaye: *glomps* I love you!
Vana: *blinkage*