InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome and Kikyo: Across Time ❯ And the First Step is... ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

At first, he looked solely at Kikyou. He was unable to see anything else.
“Well, priestess, what brings you to such a dangerous place?” he asked with attitude. She smirked in return, than gave a warm smile.
“This girl wished to see you, InuYasha. Do you know her?” Kikyou questioned with content. He hadn't even noticed.
“Girl?” His voice faded out while turning his head. The look on his face said that he didn't recognize her, either. Not him too…
Kagome stared with sorrow. Was she being forgotten? No, that couldn't be it. They would never forget her...would they?
“Hey! Who are you?” InuYasha asked in a slightly cruel manner. She didn't respond; she didn't know how. InuYasha jumped down from the tree, landing not even half a meter away from her face. He began studying her, sniffing her. Kagome was a little nervous. “Humph! It's just a human. Next time, priestess, make sure it's a demon, not something so weak. I at least want to have a good fight once in a while.” Kagome was slightly insulted. Why you, she thought, curling her hand into a fist.
“Si-” She then paused. InuYasha's enchanted beads weren't around his neck. The wind blew by scarcely as tears welled up in her eyes. This wasn't the same feudal era she remembered. That wasn't the InuYasha she knew. And Kikyou...she was alive. She was no longer a simple shell made up of bones and graveyard soil. No, she was breathing. It made sense now. This is even further back in time, she thought as her tears began to dry.
“Si?” was InuYasha's only reply. Kagome cleared her throat.
“So you're InuYasha? I've heard so much about you!” Kagome stated with a smile, deciding that it would be best to not speak of the future. She had more important business to take care of, anyways, like finding a way to get home. InuYasha turned away coldly.
“Yeah, so? What's it to ya?” Kagome remembered that tone. In fifty years it hadn't changed a bit…
“My name is Kagome,” InuYasha turned away, uninterested and not amused, “I need your help.”
His ears perked up, as if that last comment was a boost to his ego. She bit her lip, hoping - praying - that she was able to fool him.
“Oh really? And just what is it that I'm supposed to do for you?”
Her face broke out into a large grin. She'd convinced him. InuYasha only asked a question when something interested him. At this rate he'd help her. She just needed to inflate his ego a little more.
“I need an escort. I came here in pursuit of a terrible monster - a demon known as Naraku. He's thought to be the strongest demon alive. I have to defeat him, but I'm not strong enough on my own. Then I heard that the powerful, unstoppable half demon InuYasha was near here and I just had to see if you'd help me!” she explained, glaring at him honorifically.
He was trying not to smile, she could see it.
“Well if you put it that way-” he couldn't finish.
“Kagome was it? This demon you speak of, is it near here?” Kikyou interrupted, stepping in front of InuYasha. She didn't quite know what to say, and in her confusion nodded obliviously. “I see. If that is the case then I shall accompany you in your quest, if you shall allow me.”
“What?” Kagome and InuYasha shouted simultaneously in denial.
“But Kikyou, why?” InuYasha asked, silently protesting the offer.
“If this Naraku is residing near here, my people are in danger. As a priestess it is my duty to protect them.” She turned her head his way, softly smiling as she had only ever done to him, “Besides InuYasha, a half demon such as you has no place fighting a demon that strong without the aid of companions.”
He was shocked, irritated, spinning around in a frustrated manner, “Keh,” then he jumped back into his tree and looked away.
Kagome sighed. Though it wasn't quite what she was hoping, she was no longer alone. But what would she do if they really did encounter Naraku before she was able to return to the time she belonged?