InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kiss From a Rose ❯ Kiss From a Rose ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Great, another wasted day, stuck here when we should be overthere! The hanyou flicked his ears in agitation beneath the dusty bandana that covered them and shoved his tied-back hair back to its place behind his shoulders. He huffed loudly, and sat the ancient jar in his hands on the shelf in front of him a bit too hard for Kagome's grandfather's taste, and he was quickly regaled with the extensive history that particular jar had, and what made it so priceless.
 
Intent on not `accidentally' knocking said jar off the shelf, he inhaled deeply to control his annoyance. The wind found its way into the little storeroom they occupied, and Kagome's scent gently rode upon it, prompting another deep breath. Wait, that's not her! But it smells just like her… what is that?! Intent on discovering the source, Inuyasha left the ranting grandfather and bounded through the courtyard and into the city.
 
It was easy to follow the intoxicating scent, so like his miko's; it drew him in, and he didn't hesitate to obey. He bounded from rooftop to rooftop, ignoring the shouts of surprise and pointing fingers. He could care less as the aroma grew stronger, to the point it drowned his senses and he was awash in its serenity. It felt as though he was in her arms, the warm sun on his face imitating her lips upon his cheek. Suddenly he found the origin of the scent as he landed amidst a rooftop garden.
 
Color abounded as he gazed over a garden, every bush covered in bright blooms of every shade of every color, many of which Inuyasha had never seen before. He leapt from bush to vine, intent on finding which one dared mock the woman of his heart. Another small jump and he'd found it. He stared at it, amazed at its simplicity. It wasn't fancy, nor was it colorful and exotic. But, it was beautiful. Its lack of adornment was its attraction, and he was struck by the fact such a little thing could, in his mind, symbolize so much: innocence, modesty, chastity… purity. He was humbled, and felt he was staring at all that was Kagome.
 
So distracted by the flower, he didn't notice the small woman approach him from behind until she spoke. Even then, he was so transfixed he didn't even react, only flicked an ear in her direction.
 
“Beautiful, isn't it? I find myself captivated by it on a daily basis.”
 
“Yeah, it's amazing. Reminds me of someone I know.”
 
“Ah!” she exclaimed in understanding. “Most flowers do. They tend to represent in our minds our vision of someone. They offer us a chance to say what cannot be said. Each one is unique, and holds its own meaning, much like people; no two are made the same.” He smiled, finally understanding why Kagome loved the silly things so much. Remembering he stood amongst a stranger's garden, he turned to apologize. The tiny woman smiled up at him, no sign of fear in her petite, aged frame. The sun reflected off of her grayed hair, nearly as silver as his own.
 
“Keh, you're brave miss. Some strange man is walking around your garden and you just walk up and start chatting. What if I ain't a very nice guy?”
 
Her smile widened at this, and a small chuckle shook her tiny body. “Oh, now, anyone who stops to notice a silly flower can't be all bad. In fact, someone who sees the beauty in the most unlikely of places is a worthy person indeed.”
 
The cocky grin left his face at this woman's words. He finally realized why. Why Kagome meant so much, and why she even bothered with him, despite the heartache he caused her. His gaze once again on the bloom, he missed her omniscient smile. Walking past him, the woman reached into a side pocket and pulled out a small knife to cut the bloom that so captivated the hanyou, and offered it to him. He was saddened that it meant the end to the flower, but was grateful as he gently took it between his claws. He was not one for thank-you's, and honestly it wouldn't have conveyed how thankful he was. She winked at him though, showing that she completely understood. “Remember dear, flowers say what cannot be said. Worry not, and be off with you.”
 
He smiled as she walked away, and it stayed on his face the whole way back to the shrine. As he approached the courtyard, he saw Kagome peering up into the branches of the Goshinboku, undoubtedly searching for the missing hanyou. He landed with a soft thud behind the girl and she whirled around, her face a mixture of worry and anger. “Where were you?! You've been gone for hours! You know you're not supposed to go into the city without one of us! I can't beli-” Her rant was silenced by the hanyou pulling from the depths of his sleeve the single bloom he had received, his smile still firmly in place. Surprised, her face lit up as she took the flower, her fingers lingering on his outstretched hand. A blush stained his visage, and the miko leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on his cheek.
 
“Thank you, Inuyasha, I love it. White roses are my favorite. How did you know?” Thinking of a million things to say to try and make her understand, he remembered what the old woman had said. He gave a small shrug and reached up to brush the hair from her face before tentatively placing a kiss on her forehead.
 
“Somehow, it just reminded me of you.”