InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kokoro no Ai ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Writer's Corner:

Yay! This story is going down good! I got a lot of supporting reviews of the pairing and how everything is going so far with the story. Don't worry. Sesshomaru seemed a tiny bit out of character in the previous chapter but it was because he was showing his gratitude. He is a very honorable demon so I thought that maybe he should have made it up to Sango ;) But now she owes him so… Yeah! It'll all work out. YAY!

But I promise. I will keep Sesshomaru in character 100% from this point on (unless I have a reason not to… but I probably won't) so enjoy the show- er… Story!

~*~

Chapter Three:

This damned scab is so itchy! Sango grated inwardly, resisting the urge to scratch the itch right out of her healing wound. The ministration would probably open the massive scab thus bringing out her thick, crimson blood again. The tajiya sighed and rested her head against the trunk of the tree she was currently sitting under.

I am only hours away from the village by this point, Sango thought, reaching into one of her pouches to pull out half of a stick of `pocky' that Kagome-chan had given her before she left. Even though I've only been gone for a few days… it feels like forever. I miss you my friend.

It had also been a few days since her encounter with Sesshomaru and his companions. Little Rin had been such a sweet little girl… But how does one so young and kind stay so young and kind under a demon of his nature? Sango questioned this in her mind, trying to come up with some reasonable explanations for this topic. Without finding any answer that best suited what she was thinking, she shook her head and called to Kirara who had been taking a drink from a nearby pond. "Come on Kirara. We're almost home," she told the feline, hopping abroad the large fire neko as they ran along on the ground. There was no reason to take to the air.

**

Two dark eyes, luminous with an un-answered question searched around the campsite for a certain someone. The someone who always coursed the destination to where she, Jaken-sama and Ah Un traveled. His looming figure ranged into her sight when she charted to a new area of the forest, seeing him standing by himself. She had run off again even when Jaken-sama roared at her to return that instant.

At the current moment, he was staring with glazed honey colored eyes at the many stars that started to cloak through the black sky, peaceful tranquility portrayed in every aspect about him.

"Rin, what are you doing out here?" he asked, not bothering to look at her, his tone disinterested. The child's scent had mingled with the breeze accompanied by the tell tale rustle of one of the expensive, elaborate kimonos he had had specially produced for her.

The girl blushed, embarrassed by her rude manner of the attempt at sneaking up on him, knowing full well that it would not work. The girl of nine revealed herself, stepping out, her eyes large as she walked towards him slowly.

"Well?" The youkai questioned again, his voice a bit more persistent at this point but still maintained the cool and bored composure that was his trademark. The child's constant habit of wandering off in places that she had never been before would be the death of her. He was getting tired of having to rescue her whenever she would outwit Jaken and escape.

"Do you remember the lady that saved Rin, Sesshomaru-sama?" The child asked, fisting her small hands into the lap of her kimono as she shifted her feet slightly anxiously. She looked up, his face illuminated by the moonlight and smiled softly, knowing that he did know. The demon remained stoic, but he nodded to acknowledge the girl's question, only if it was a small gesture of recognition.

Rin released her kimono to clasp her hands behind her back as she looked up boldly, her mouth spread in a toothy grin as she asked, "Can Sesshomaru-sama take Rin to visit Sango-sama? Sango-sama was so nice to Rin," she continued, hoping to convince her lord of her point. "Sango-sama is the only lady friend Rin has and Rin gets lonely because Jaken-sama is boring- -" she stopped and gasped, covering her mouth, realizing that she had been a bit too bold. She gazed up to see her lord, still staring down at her, his eyes crinkled at the corners in slight amusement and curiosity at her antics while the rest of his visage seemed to contradict his amusement. "Forgive Rin, Sesshomaru-sama. Rin doesn't mean to complain…" the little girl apologized, bowing slightly to make her apology convincible.

Well, she is learning more respect, the taiyoukai thought bemusedly at her formal way of apologizing. The little girl had truly been such a chattering imp when he had first taken her in. Why he had taken her in? That was a question he was continually asking himself, finding no answer in the process.

"Perhaps," the taiyoukai replied, his eyes looking up towards the moon again. Rin gasped in delight and clasped her hands together over her chest.

"Really, Sesshomaru-sama?"

Without giving a reply, the cold demon lord turned swiftly, his hair fluttering behind him, back towards the camp. "We will return to camp now," He told her, his voice emotionless as he turned his head slightly to gaze down at her. "You wandered from Jaken's watch again. Do you never cease to trouble him?" He added, narrowing his beautiful eyes, gauging the guilt that splayed upon her young and innocent face. She hung her head in brief shame.

"Rin is sorry again, my lord," the little girl whispered, her voice truly and deeply sad. "Rin likes to try and find you," she told him sincerely; her head lifting slightly to show him how much she meant that statement.

Sentimentality… Putrid… Vile… Sesshomaru thought as he continued to look the girl over, his heart softening a bit at her words. They made him feel… wanted… important… loved even…

The taiyoukai was appalled at his inner realization and scoffed at himself for thinking such things. Foolishness! He roared in his mind, deciding to voice his opinion. "This Sesshomaru does not care for you to follow him everywhere. Youkai lurk about these parts at all times. They could be your death," he told her in a hard voice, proceeding to walk on, feeling his chest tighten at the little whimper that escaped the small girl behind him. He froze and winced for being so harsh with her… Harsh?

Was I truly being harsh? Or… am I going soft? The Inuyoukai asked himself, clearing his throat and his mind so that he could block out the sickeningly salty smell of fresh tears that were currently spilling from the little girl's eyes. He turned to see her sniffling; wiping her eyes constantly and part of him wanted to comfort her and to cease her tears while another was repulsed that she would display such an emotion.

The taiyoukai was feeling completely at war with himself at the present moment and decided that he would end this whole occurrence neutrally. "Rin," he called back to her, his voice gentler than it had been moments ago. Rin looked up quickly, her eyes red and watery as she met his call with a bewildered look. "This Sesshomaru wishes that you return to camp with him," he told her, watching as she nodded and pulled the sleeve of her kimono over her hand to wipe her eyes and face thoroughly.

The little girl half expected him to walk away from her and leave her to follow in his footsteps like he often did… But he was not moving from his spot. After a few moments of awkward silence, Sesshomaru sent her a skeptical look and gave her a motion with his eyes that he wished to move on.

Feeling happier than she had since she had talked to Sango-sama, Rin let out a joyous giggle and ran towards her master, her lips parted revealing her toothy grin. She reached up for his hand, waiting for him to take hers. Sesshomaru glanced down at her hand and then to her contented face, realizing that happiness was an emotion best suited her. Slowly, he lowered his large hand within her reach, feeling her small hand grasp his in a tight hold as he kept his lax. After a short time though, he enclosed his long, tapered fingers around hers as they made their way back to camp.

**

"Well, Kirara. Home sweet home," Sango said softly, with a pleased smile. There were definitely remembered events and feelings of nostalgia all about the tajiya as she dismounted from her large fire neko, gazing around the village. There were remains of huts and the structure of a hut that she and Miroku had constructed years ago to house new supplies from the journey and some of the village's oldest scrolls. The village looked picture perfect as the morning sun leaked through down onto the dew covered ground and few housetops.

We did a very good job with that hut, houshi-sama, Sango thought as she entered the small house and looked about herself, the smell of must and dirt lingering in the air. Sighing, the demon slayer dropped her hiraikotsu in the corner of the hut and put down the various packages that she had been carrying with her, scratching her bandaged arm. She had re-bandaged the scab because she feared that she could not trust herself to scratch the itching bother of a wound lightly.

Well, the village seems to be in good shape from when I was last here, the tajiya commented inwardly as she walked slowly around her home area, stretching her legs a bit. She inhaled deeply and exhaled contentedly, her eyes going to the ground when she came across the graves of all the villagers… stopping in front of her father's, kneeling to the soil.

Otou-san… I am home, she told him, praying softly before she stood again and continued her venture. She sighed in dismay briefly when she thought of how lonely the village was compared to its life and bloom years and years ago before Naraku had wreaked havoc.

I remember, training here as a child, she thought, a smile tugging at her lips. And Kohaku learning to use his weapon for the first time… What a sweet boy he was, she finished, her mind flashing to a picture of her little brother who had always looked up to her and admired her.

"Onee-chan, will we ever be apart?" A younger Kohaku asked, his blue-gray eyes shining towards Sango. The young woman tilted her head to the side as she leaned on the gardening hoe that she was using on the plot of land in the back of their hut.

"Why do you ask that, silly? Of course not. Not as long as we are with Otou-san and have our weapons with us. We will be unstoppable, Kohaku-chan," The tajiya in training replied with a smile, disregarding the brief look of despair that passed her brother's face before he shrugged and returned to his chores.

Shaking her head from her thoughts, the demon slayer felt a tell tale rumbling in her stomach and she groaned, realizing that the only thing she had eaten in the last few hours was the pocky. That wasn't the healthiest thing, she knew for a fact.

I suppose I shall have to hunt for my food, the tajiya groaned slightly. If only I had saved the rationings that Kaede had given me… Normally, she would have jumped at the idea of hunting for her dinner but her arm was in no condition for her to throw hiraikotsu properly. She couldn't ask Kirara either because the fire feline was all ready exhausted from the amount of traveling that she had had to do.

Oh well. I need to eat. I'll just be careful, she finally decided, stripping out of her pink and green outfit, revealing her slick, black uniform. She bent over and picked up the large boomerang, sliding its handle over her shoulders as she slid her daggers into the appropriate spots on her uniform. "Kirara, I'm going to get some early lunch. I should be back shortly," she told the neko who was now kitten sized.

Sango sighed and walked into the forest again, keeping her eyes sharp for any creature that might provide with some tasty meet but after about a half an hour on pursuit, she had given up. Where have all the animals and small youkai gone? She wondered as she approached the stream nearby to her village, her eyes gazing into the clear, liquidly depths. Fish!

Ah ha, the tajiya thought smugly as she pulled her dagger out from her sheath and watched carefully as the little creatures in the water swam violently around, unaware of one of them becoming the young woman on the bank's lunch.

Sango continued to watch the slippery animals swarm around the shallower waters as she plunged the small sword into the water, just grazing a fish. "Damn," she whispered, fixating her eyebrows together in better concentration. She pulled the sword from the water and watched again, stabbing her knife into the water , just cleanly missing another fish!

Damn it all! I'm a demon slayer not a fisherman! She grated inwardly, deciding that it would probably be for the best if Kirara threw some fish onto the bank for her so she could gut them.

**

Kirara had come without a fuss but had made Sango look like a complete fool when she transformed and swiped one large paw into the stream, dragging four wriggling fish onto the bank. The tajiya thanked her feline and told her that she could go rest while she started to gut and clean out the fish.

The young woman let out a sigh and then poked her dagger into a fish's inside, bodily fluids shooting up from the creature's body and onto her face. She sat there, her eyes wide with disbelief as blood and other nasty thick liquids from the fish's body were dripping off of her face. "Now that caught me completely off guard…" Sango whispered, taking the back of her hand to her face as she wiped the grime and nastiness from her face. I need to bathe…

The young woman gathered her gutted fish up, the nasty smell clinging drifting into her nose, as she went to go and pour some spice on them to keep them fresh until she returned from the quick bath she was going to take.

**

"Guess what, Jaken-sama! We get to see Sango-sama!" The little girl cried, as she bounced abroad Ah Un's back. The toad glared up at the little `princess' as she continued to babble in general happiness and glee. Two bulbous yellow eyes stared hard at his lord's back as the tall, haughty Inuyoukai continued to lead the way.

What has this child done to Sesshomaru-sama? He treats her better than he treats me and I have been nothing but his faithful servant for years! The toad youkai gaped in his mind, anger welling up in his chest as he shot a jealous look up again at the little girl who rode the two headed dragon's back.

Up ahead, Sesshomaru continued to walk on, his mind working in two places at once. Half of him wanted to turn away and return to the Western Lands so that he could return to all of the work and duties that his position reserved for him. Just why were they going to find the tajiya? It was going to waste so much precious time that he could be using to forming alliances and such. Because it will please Rin, he answered his own question, cringing inwardly.

Since when had he cared so much about making his charge happy? Why did she even matter? The Taiyoukai turned to look over his shoulder to see her smiling at him and then she thanked him again. Sesshomaru sighed mutely, picking up his stride so that he could think more clearly without the incessant chatter of Jaken's annoying voice.

The other half of him was worried about Rin's constant wandering. Why did she like to meander off on her own anyway? She had said it was only because she wanted to find him and be with him but was that really the answer? The taiyoukai shook his head a bit, clearing his mind of those thoughts as a feminine scent drifted into his nose. His eyes shifted a moment and then he came to a complete stop.

"My lord?" Jaken asked, tugging on the reigns, the signal for Ah Un to stop traveling.

I did not think that we were this close, Sesshomaru thought, turning so that he could look towards his journeying companions. "I shall return. I would like to scope out this territory for it is unfamiliar," the taiyoukai said before he bounded into the treetops, leaping agilely from branch to branch.

**

Sango slid out of her clothes and dipped a foot hesitantly into the water of the stream, hissing at its frigid temperature. Oh well, it can't be helped. I need to get clean, the tajiya thought as she dove into the freezing water, sputtering and gasping until her body became somewhat accustomed to the cold languidness of the stream.

What I wouldn't do for a hot spring, Sango mused, reaching over to lather a bar of `soap' that Kagome-chan had given to her a while ago. She sighed and applied the foaming substance to her face, scrubbing that the best she could without getting any in her eyes. She had had an experience like that before and did not want to repeat it!

While she cleansed the other areas of her body, feeling self-conscious, every once and a while, she would turn and scan the area behind her, making sure that Miroku wasn't hiding anywhere, getting a full eyes view of her body like he had done many times. The tajiya's cheeks flushed in embarrassment and delight all at once. To think that he actually would risk a beating just to see me bathe, she thought, her blush deepening the more that she continued to think about it.

**

Sesshomaru froze atop the tree that he was stationed in when he heard the splash of water from down below. He had smelled the stream but other than that, his senses had been dulled due to the water. There is someone bathing? He asked, hearing a silent, feminine chuckle he could associate with the tajiya who had tried to keep Rin safe.

Leaping to the ground silently, the Inuyoukai slithered through the trees to get a better look, his curiosity getting the better of him for the moment. His golden eyes taking in what they saw.

**

The song that Sango had been humming clipped off when she stiffened, a youkai aura coming within her range. A very powerful one at that. She swallowed and looked about her swiftly, getting out of the water a bit so that if she needed to, she could race back to the village and grab her hiraikotsu.

Kami-sama! I'm such a fool. I should never be without a weapon! She chastised herself as she brought her arms up to cover her naked chest, her cheeks flushing in horror and embarrassment. Where is the beast? I don't… I don't see it… She swallowed hard again and continued to look around when she met two golden eyes that were staring with intensity that she could recognize anywhere. Sesshomaru?

The young woman's eyes widened to the size of watermelons, feeling exposed, weak and dirty under the proud youkai's gaze. What do I do? I am without a weapon and- - Sango's eyes narrowed again. And he was peeping at me! She thought suddenly, rage building in her chest.

The Inuyoukai stepped out from the bushes, not being one to hide as he stared at her brazenly, approaching her so that he was just a couple of feet from her toned, slender body. There is nothing she can do, Sesshomaru thought, watching her as she stood, her face beat red. She cannot go on the offensive because she has no weapon and she is a fool to attack or irritate me without one.

He had been leering at her from the bushes… Suddenly, Sango did not care that the male who was peeping at her from the bushes was Sesshomaru and could most likely kill her in her naked, vulnerable state. What did matter was that he was a man, even if he was not a human one. He had been invading her privacy… and… The tajiya could not control her anger anymore. Feeling a sudden rush of adrenaline, she marched right up to him, looked him square in the eye and slapped him across the cheek.

Sesshomaru stumbled back a step, his golden eyes neutral as a hand rose to touch his slightly stinging cheek. Then, his orbs narrowed into dangerous slits. He had not been ready for that. She wasn't that stupid, was she? He had seen this woman fight. She was trained in the art of slaying demons… Apparently she had thrown all of her wits and common sense out the window!

The youkai extended his arm, grasping hers as he pulled her into his hard chest fiercely, his other hand pulling harshly at her mass of ebony hair. Sango hissed and closed her eyes as Sesshomaru continued to yank at her hair, his claws digging into her arm.

"You dare to attack this Sesshomaru with no weapon, tajiya?" He growled dangerously in her ear, eliciting a shudder from Sango, but it was not from the cold or his voice. "Where have all of your years of training and experience gone? Here you are, dripping wet and naked, without your weapon and then you attack a demon that despises your kind. You are brilliant, woman," he finished, his grip not slacking in the least.

Kami-sama… He's going to kill me, Sango thought, opening her eyes to meet two deep, cold golden eyes that were boring into her. The tajiya worried her lip between her teeth as his fingers started to loosen in her hair. Suddenly, Sesshomaru began to touch her back- or more specifically, her large scar. Sango's eyes became impossibly wide again as she started to struggle within his hold.

"Don't touch me!" she shouted at him, watching as his lips turned up in the corner in a cruel, conniving smirk. He was enjoying gauging reactions from her! This was fun for him! I have to get away… How do I get out of this?

Her thoughts flashed back to before, when she had slapped him. He was male thus meaning he had one weakness so to speak. If this did not hurt him though then he would be very angered and she definitely WOULD die! Drawing her knee back a bit, she continued to struggle against Sesshomaru, his grip growing tighter, drawing more breath out of her.

All right! She thought, closing her eyes and then rammed her knee into his groin, breaking away from him when his arms when weak for a moment. Sango watched him in confusion as he stood there, his face neutral but his eye twitched for a split second.

Sesshomaru cleared his throat, the immense pain in his groin becoming unbearable as he felt short of breath. "No one has ever dared to-" he started to say before his eyes rolled in the back of his head and he fell face first onto the ground, his glorious white hair spilling unceremoniously all around him.

Sango's eyes widened as she knelt down, hauling him over so that she could look at him. Did I… Did I kill him? She wondered, feeling a bit of anxiety in her chest as she raised two fingers to feel the pulse at his neck. It was there, and it was strong but he was out cold…

*

So! What do you think? YAY! Can you believe it? She actually kicked him in the balls! Go Sango! He deserved it! I mean, poor Sesshomaru! He got demanned… I'm on both sides, as you could tell!