InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lady Unicorn ❯ The Sewers and The Church ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/n: Here's to my only commenter, Lady Death! *dun dun dun!*

Please enjoy :).

Oh, and all your suspicions are correct Miss Lady Death. Please enjoy, and for you anonymous readers, I hope you do too.

Luna-


Chapter Two: The Sewers and The Church


Shippo crinkled his nose in disgust, trying to ignore the pugnent smell. It was the second time that day he had a run-in with things that came from the rear-end, and he wasn't too happy.

Granted, he was happier here than with the Warden.

He shuddered at the thought, remembering the poor bloke who had it instead of him.

Trying to push such thoughts out of his mind, he knew it was important to focus. Who knew how long it would take them to realize the amazing Fox had pulled off a miraculous escape yet again?

He grinned at the thought.

It sure was true, he was one hell of a miracle. There couldn't have been anyone as cunning, as daring, as magnificent... or handsome, to mention... as he was.

Well, perhaps he wasn't so handsome covered in feces and running through the sewer toward salvation, but he would take what he could get. Beggars can't be choosers, as they say.

Then again, one day he was going to be rich. And then all those spiny bastards would have what was coming to them.

Grinning at the thought, he continued on forward, not really knowing where he was going. He guessed it didn't matter though. As long it was away, that was all he cared.

A ray of light down the way caught his attention, and he ran for it. But as he approached it, he noticed something strange about it... music was coming from it...

And the sound of... hymns?

Stopping underneath the source, he peered through a grate a noticed a giant stain glassed window, as well as a crowd of people.

...it was a damn church.

THE church, to be exact. The one in the middle of the square, ran by the damn greedy Bishop.

There was something just plain wrong about that guy.

Shippo grabbed at the wall, hoisting himself up to get a better view. Most of the people had their backs to him.

Glancing about, he was a bit surprised.

He had never been inside the church before for obvious reason, but he still had to appreciate the architecture.

It was rather grand, with white-washed walls and gold mouldings. There was apparently more than one stained glass window, all of them as big as the last, with elaborate pictures depicted on them. Dragons being slain, heros, Kami, disciples, devils, sinners, saints.

You name it, it was there.

The light that shone through the windows cast brilliant rainbows along the floor, a beautiful prism of every color imaginable.

At the head of the service there was a priest chanting, speaking of the evils of the world.

Shippo rolled his eyes, and lifted the grate slowly to look around more.

He could see through an open door far on the right, a large archway, that there was a large courtyard with people scurrying about.

More importantly though, as he looked back toward the exit that lead into the street...

There was no guards.

Crawling slowly out of the sewers, he closed the grate softly without making a sound.

Once again, he went unnoticed.

He was invisible!

Smirking, Shippo deemed this a proud moment.

A blasphemer like himself had made his way into the holiest of holy places. The most influential place in all the city, if not on a much larger scale. Who knew how much power this place had... the Bishop had? But he conquered it all in the face of danger! He had beat the system! He had won!

What now, Bishop?!

Grinning, he tried his best to act inconspicous as he headed for the door.

Triumphantly, he grabbed the door handle that lead to his freedom...

And was greeted by the face of a guard.

"There the lil bastard is! Git him!"

Shippo squeaked and quickly dashed his way through the guard's legs and out the door.

Any attempts to grab at him were futile as he made his way to the bazaar in the marketplace.

Word gets around quickly!

It was rightfully so, because the dungeon had a reputation-no one leaves alive.

Except for the Fox, apparently. Now all he had to do was loose them, which should have been easy enough.

Ducking through the crowd, he ran toward the booths of the bazaar. He heard the angry shouts of the guards, and the curious movement of the people at the commotion, though most continued on with their business. Haggling, bartering, fast talking and quick movements.

Shippo couldn't resist his share of fast paced movement...

He snatched the purse of a man before him without the man noticing, and he scampered away quickly.

Sure, he had gotten in trouble for that very thing. But they had taken everything from him! He was indignant... How was he to survive otherwise?

He was just a little kid.

Pushing the coin bag down his shirt, he ran toward the outskirts of the square that lead toward the forest. He would lie low there for a while, and then they would forget it all happened.

At least, that was the plan.

As he rounded the city walls, he smashed into the leg of a horse in his haste.

Standing clumsily, when he righted himself he found himself staring down the blade of a sword.

"Thought ye could git away, did ye?"

Shippo swallowed hard, and allowed himself a bright smile, "Now, m'lords, I don't think such show of force is neccessary. I mean now, a fellow like me is so small! I couldn't harm a fly."

The sword struck through his shirt, and he was lifted up this way, and found himself dangling from the end of the blade.

"Maybe so, but ye is jest as hard to git rid of and thrice as easy to loose, vermin!"

Shippo swung his fists in protest, flailing a bit, "Let me down you mongrel!"

The guards only laughed at him and his attempts. "How be ye taste of freedom? Hope it was worth the lashing ye'll git as a price for the trouble!"

Shippo froze up at those words, quivering at the prospect of a whip. It didn't sound pleasant. Shouting out, he panicked, "Let me down, I say! Help! Someone help me!"

A sudden clang and an outraged shout surprised him. No one helped. No one fought the guard. No one...

Except for the man with shining white hair before him, atop the most beautiful white mare he had yet seen... He had the most curious golden eyes, his looks obviously exotic. He wore the blackest of black armor, fierce, obviously dangerous. The man wielded a giant sword, knocking one guard off after another, and making his way toward Shippo.

Where had he come from?

Upon further examination, Shippo was shocked. He became speechless, even unaware of his current dilemma...

The only thing registering in his mind at that very moment was one thing. Something more interesting than the man.

Something he hadn't noticed yet before.

Atop the forehead of that gorgeous mare he rode bareback, with no halter and no bridle was one thing.

A shining silver horn that pointed toward the heavens.

Unfortunately, the shock was so great at that moment Shippo's poor little mind could not take it.

And he fainted amidst the fight to save his life.