InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like a Moth to a Flame ❯ You're a What? ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Italic = thoughts
 
~`*`~
Like a Moth to a Flame
Chapter 4: You're a What?
By Thyme Cat
~`*`~
“So where are you headed?” Midori asks while handing a bowl of rice to Sango. The others, except Inuyasha, were eating as well as the sounds of the end of the day drift into the room through the cracks of the door and windows. Inuyasha had placed himself against the wall near the exit.
 
“Well, we are in pursuit of a powerful demon named Naraku, whom we think is somewhere vaguely north and west of here.” Kagome supplies after placing her empty bowl on the ground.
 
Midori's face turns thoughtful, “Why are you after him?”
 
Miroku answers, “He is very evil and has done many horrible things. He is also in possession of the Shikon no Tama. The jewel was shattered and though we are collecting the shards, he has most of them and if he completes it the world will fall into darkness.”
 
“Hm…” Midori seems to be thinking, “I recently felt an evil presence pass a little way from the village in the direction you are going. It was formless though, demons have form.”
 
“Heh, that's because I cut him up pretty bad and would have destroyed him too if not for that idiot Sesshomaru. We should leave soon. No sense wasting time when Naraku is probably up to no good.” Inuyasha stands as if to leave right then.
 
“You could show a little appreciation, Inuyasha. Midori has been really nice to us.” Shippo admonishes from his seat beside Kagome who smiles at Midori.
 
“Thanks, Midori for the food and lodgings. It'll be really nice to sleep with a roof overhead.” Kagome speaks for them all as Miroku and Sango echo her thanks.
 
Shippo adds quietly, “And Miroku didn't have to fake any ominous clouds to get it.”
 
“A person must make their way through this world with the means at hand.” Miroku sighs, “Though Inuyasha has a point but we need to sleep. We should try to cover as much ground as we can tomorrow. We still have a long way to go, I'm sure, so we'll leave early.”
 
~`~
 
The following morning breakfast is a quiet affair. Kagome and Sango help Midori clean up after the meal while the guys look for information of demon activity in the area.
 
“Take me with you.”
 
Kagome and Sango share a look. “Um, Midori, I'm not sure if that is such a great idea.” Kagome tries to turn her down gently. Midori is nice but Naraku is merciless; all the more reason to keep her out of this.
 
Sango shares Kagome's perspective and asks, “Why do you want to come? Aren't you needed here? Who will protect them while you're gone?”
 
Midori looks at Sango with confidence plain in her eyes, “They don't actually need me to protect them. Because of the hills and the coast, the village is kind of out of the way for most trouble. And besides that, the men here know how to fight to protect themselves against other humans. I'm coming. I…” Midori shifts her attention to Kagome. “I need to, please.”
 
“Well…” Kagome isn't really sure what to say, “Are you sure you want to get involved? Naraku is very dangerous. There is a very good chance you could be killed.”
 
Midori nods her head in the affirmative, “Yes. If he is a bad as you say he is, I'll be protecting my village by helping you.”
 
“Could you give us a minute to discuss it?” Miroku steps into the hut, followed closely by Shippo and Inuyasha.
 
“What!? No. She'll only get in the way.” Inuyasha disagrees.
 
Midori looks between Kagome and Sango and finally nods to Miroku. She stands to leave the hut.
 
At the door she pauses long enough to look at Inuyasha and say, “I can fight and I won't get in your way.” Then she is gone.
 
A moment's silence follows Midori's exit. Then Miroku starts, “Well we know what Inuyasha thinks, what about you, Sango? You've spent some time with her; do you think she should come?”
 
Sango take a moment to ponder, “This isn't her fight. She is safer here.”
 
Kagome nods her agreement. She looks around the room and the stern faces of her friends. Everyone here has a reason to fight Naraku. Inuyasha was tricked and lost fifty years of his life, not to mention Kikyo. Miroku is cured in his right hand with the wind tunnel that will kill him if he doesn't kill Naraku first. Sango's family and entire village was destroyed by Naraku and even now he manipulates her little brother, Kohaku, to torment her further. I have to get the Shikon No Tama back because I broke it and it is my duty to protect it from people like Naraku in the first place. And then there is Shippo. Actually, the Thunder Brothers killed his parents, not Naraku. But there was no one to look out for him; I couldn't just leave him all alone! And now I've become too attached to leave him someplace.
 
Inuyasha's voice brings Kagome back from her musings, “Right, so we leave her here. Let's go.”
 
~`~
 
Midori stands in the entrance to her hut, looking at the emptiness. They left without me.
 
After a moment of debating with herself, she gathers a few essentials and runs back out the door.
 
 
~tsutzuku~
 
A/N:
| |  
 
Disclaimer: As this is “FanFiction” it is to be assumed that you are familiar with the anime/manga that is Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha (which I don't own, by the way).
 
 
 
Midori sets a hard gaze on Inuyasha, “I will not be in the way. I can take care of myself.”