InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like My Master ❯ Ch. 2: To the Castle ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.


Like My Master
By: Miyukyshan

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Chapter Two: To the Castle

Sayu continued to follow her new master, eyes fixed on the solid ground beneath her feet. She was careful to keep her distance, not wanting another embarrassing insult from the intimidating man in front of her. They had been walking for nearly two days without rest and she could feel her body failing. Blood squished between her toes, mixing with the dirt and creating a thick mud that stuck into her wounded feet. The heat was unbearable and she wondered how her master could walk around with such elaborate clothing and layers.

She stumbled over a rock and quickly righted herself. Her new master did not seem like the kind who appreciated weakness in a woman, especially a slave. She was just glad he was impressed with her skills at the market. The little imp he called Jaken was a weak opponent, but she was fed so little and gotten such a small amount of sleep she worried she wouldn't be able to beat him.

The footsteps in front of her stopped and she dared to glance up at her master's feet. They were turned in her direction.

"We will stop for the night. You may feed yourself if you know how."

His voice rumbled through her and she bowed low to the ground. She heard him make a soft noise in the back of his throat before his footsteps picked up again. Sayu rose immediately and looked into the forest at her side. The sun would be setting soon, and if she wanted food she would have to be quick.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sayu stared hungrily at the rabbit cooking over the fire. She waited as long as she could before pulling it off and tearing into it. The toad demon watched her and sneered in disgust.

"Learn some manners you filthy human. Lord Sesshomaru doesn't want to see you eat like some wild animal!"

Sayu glared at Jaken before sinking her teeth back into the hot meat. No one was going to ruin her meal. When her stomach was finally full, Sayu sat back and rubbed it with a small sigh. Jaken had fallen asleep and was snoring loudly by the fire, his staff clutched tightly between his hands. Sayu would have smiled if it hadn't been for the demon lord staring at her from across the flames. She glanced up quickly and was embarrassed to find him staring at her.

"We will arrive at my castle tomorrow. Your fighting skills will be tested before you are introduced to the human you are to protect. Hopefully you don't perform as dishonorably as the others have."

Sayu nodded before rolling onto her side. She wondered how many others came before her, and what kind of tests she would have to endure. She hoped her master would allow her at least a day to rest before she was expected to fight. Sayu curled her hands under her head, adjusting her cheek so it didn't touch the cold metal wrapped firmly around her wrists.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru stared at Sayu as she slept, his eyes drifting to the bonds that held the curse on her. The sun was rising steadily over the mountains and he rose gracefully to leave. He was surprised to see Sayu's eyes snap open. He was certain he hadn't made a sound and wondered if she had ever fallen asleep.

That is a good sign. Sesshomaru thought before turning his attention to the snoring toad demon. "Jaken," he said, "rise or you will be left behind."

Jaken jumped up and brushed his clothing off before rushing over to Sesshomaru's side. "Lord Sesshomaru, surely you wouldn't leave behind your most loyal retainer!"

The demon lord narrowed his eyes and turned away from Jaken, not bothering to tell them to follow. Sayu's quiet steps sounded behind him and he was thankful she remembered to keep her distance.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sayu ignored the pain in her feet and followed her master. The sun was high in the sky and he said they would arrive by noon, but all Sayu saw around her were trees. Jaken seemed more anxious than usual, so she assumed they were getting closer. She heard the toad demon sigh in satisfaction and glanced up through the trees and nearly stopped at the sight. Her new master was very wealthy, more so than all her previous owners put together.

There were demon guards crawling all over the castle grounds, and she was irritated to find them all staring and snickering at her as she passed. She tried to keep her head down and ignore them, but the gardens surrounding the castle were too beautiful to overlook.

A tall woman glided over to her master and gave a small bow. She looked very similar to him, with long silver hair and amber eyes. Sayu didn't miss the condescending look the woman gave her before her attention was turned back to her master.

"My Lord Sesshomaru, you've returned at last." Her voice was like silk and Sayu wondered what her voice sounded like in comparison; probably like crunching gravel.

"Lady Amaya, I was not gone long, nor did I intend to be."

The one he called Amaya smiled gracefully and turned her eyes back to Sayu. "I see that you were fruitful in your expedition. Such a tiny, ill-looking human. Are you certain she's able to protect little Rin?"

"We shall see," Sesshomaru said before brushing past the woman.

Amaya gave a small pout before turning to glare at Sayu. She put her head down as she passed her and tried not to smile at the nasty snub her master just dealt out. Sayu saw that Jaken was snickering into his sleeve. Perhaps she and the toad demon agreed on something after all.

Sayu continued the rest of the way with her head bowed as Sesshomaru led her through the maze of hallways. She was sure they had reached the very back of the castle when they finally came to a stop. Sesshomaru glanced at her over his shoulder and motioned to the door on his right.

"This will be your room for now. You have a few hours to prepare for the assessment. Jaken will return for you when it is time."

Sayu felt her heart drop. Only a few hours to prepare for a fight she assumed was to the death. She nodded and waited for Sesshomaru to disappear before walking into the room.

It was spacious enough for her, though most would consider it small. There was one window under which a futon was already rolled out and prepared. Sayu walked over to it and climbed under the blanket.

Hopefully I get enough sleep to recover a little bit of my strength. She thought before drifting off.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

The smell of cooked food filled the room and brought Sayu out of her sleep. She worried that the toad had come for her, but was relieved when she saw a demon child enter the room with a platter of food. She sat up and moved to her knees, pressing her nose into the mat until she heard the child clear her throat. Sayu smiled at her when she rose, but the demon child shriveled her nose and left the room.

Do I really smell that bad? Sayu wondered before crawling to the tray. Her mouth watered at the sight of the full, hot meal. As hungry as she was, she decided not to eat too much. Her stomach wasn't used to being full, and if she was going to fight she didn't want to end up getting sick in front of her master. After finishing off the rice, she picked at the fruit and meat before returning to her bed.

When she lifted the blanket, she was embarrassed to see the dirt and crusted blood from her feet covering the simple but pretty cover. She leaned against the wall and pulled her feet close to her body. They were covered in blisters and cuts. Sayu went back to the tray and grabbed the cup of tea. It was still hot, but she dipped her sleeve in and tried her best to clean up her grimy toes. Satisfied with her work, Sayu slipped back into bed and tried to sleep for as long as they would allow.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

"Slave. Slave! Wake up this instant. You are not to keep Lord Sesshomaru waiting. Slave!"

Sayu rolled away from Jaken's screeching voice. The sleep had been good, but it wasn't enough. She groaned and rolled off the futon. Jaken was still screaming at her when she slid the door open, and continued to scold her while he led her away from the room.

"You had better perform well for Lord Sesshomaru! He is losing patience looking for a proper slave. But they just don't make them like they used to. You're all so lazy and scrawny," he said while Sayu followed.

Everyone they passed stopped to stare and whisper. Sayu looked forward to seeing their faces when she passed whatever tests her master had for her and became protector of the human he spoke of. She wondered what the person was like and how they survived in a castle filled with demons. Did the human not smell? What was he or she to her master?

Her thoughts were cut short when Jaken stopped. They were standing in front of two large doors, and the faint sound of clinking metal filtered through the cracks. Jaken turned to her and smiled.

"This is where I leave you. Good luck, Slave. Try not to disappoint." And with that he disappeared down another hallway.

Sayu looked after him and then at the doors. She inhaled deeply and then pushed them open, her heart sinking when she saw what waited for her inside.