InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Like My Master ❯ Ch. 9: Into the Cave ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or any of its characters.
Flames welcome.


Like My Master
By: Miyukyshan


Chapter Nine: Into the Cave

Sayu grunted and blocked Kaito’s sword and lunged at him, ducking to the left when he swiped at her. Sweat poured down her face and back and she cast a glance at the pile of clothes in the corner of the room. She’d already removed all she could while still remaining somewhat decent, as had Kaito. The outfit Sesshomaru ordered for her had many layers and wasn’t suitable for the type of training she was doing. The skimpy shirt she had on now would have had her blushing on any other occasion, but she was fighting for her life and didn’t care if she looked modest in front of her master.

The dog demon was watching intently from the other side of the room, studying her as she jumped and parried and arched away from his best fighter. Sayu would be lying if she said she wasn’t glad for the sudden match, but his intense honey gaze was unnerving and there was more skin exposed to him than she would have liked.

What are you talking about? He’s already seen you naked! She thought before jumping in the air and bringing her old blade down on Kaito’s.

The tiger demon roared and slashed at her. Sayu could tell he was still angry with her. His fighting was sloppy and predictable and his eyes grew more red with each blocked swing. She was only fighting him to ease her master’s worries. It had been nearly a week since Lady Amaya’s little stint with her shackles. Sesshomaru wanted to make sure she was fully healed and capable of protecting Rin should trouble arise. She argued she’d been ready the next day, but her stubborn master refused to leave the castle until she’d had ‘adequate rest.’

“Pay attention!” Kaito screamed as he swung at her again.

Sayu scowled and picked up her speed. The fight hadn’t started out so intense. They’d fought bare-handed for the first thirty minutes before Kaito lost it and grabbed a sword off the wall. Hers was by Sesshomaru and she had barely grabbed a hold of it before Kaito was upon her. They’d been fighting with steel for the past hour and her hands were beginning to throb.

I need to end this. Sayu thought as Kaito snarled.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sesshomaru frowned as his old friend became more and more unhinged. His behavior baffled Sesshomaru. Sure the tiger demon usually lost it and went a little crazy when he fought, but this was different. He could smell the anger rolling off Kaito as he fought Sayu, but he didn’t know why he was mad at her. He always thought Kaito was rather fond of his little human.

Sesshomaru crinkled his nose and scowled. My little human. He thought with disgust.

Eyes narrowed, Sesshomaru watched the skilled woman as she fought off the enraged attacks of his general. They were both barely clothed with Kaito only in his hakama and Sayu in much the same. The woman had on the loose traveling pants he ordered for her and the very first layer of her upper-body clothing. The shirt barely covered her at all with a string tying it up around her neck and her back completely exposed. It clung to her chest and was drenched in her sweat and he suppressed a growl when she turned her back to him, giving him another glimpse of her toned shoulders. The muscles bunched and rippled under the soft flesh and he couldn’t stop his gaze from traveling lower, from her small waist which fanned out into full hips and a firm, round backside that made his hands twitch.

Sesshomaru clenched his fists and scowled. He was turning into a pervert. The clanging of metal brought him back to attention and he studied Sayu’s sword. The blade quivered with each blow from Kaito’s much sturdier weapon. Sayu seemed to distracted to notice the weeping sound her sword was making. Growling, Sesshomaru rushed forward as Kaito brought his sword across Sayu’s once more and her blade cracked and broke in half.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sayu’s eyes widened when she felt her sword give way. Kaito’s sharp blade was still coming at her full force and there was no way she could avoid it. A sudden pressure on her stomach startled her and she was ripped backwards, narrowly avoiding Kaito’s deadly weapon. She stared at the tiger demon with shocked eyes and felt herself hoisted up. Sesshomaru helped steady her before leveling his gaze on Kaito.

“I’ll not have you killing the first servant who’s earned their place here,” Sesshomaru growled.

Sayu watched as Kaito loosened his grip on the hilt and looked at her. She could see regret in his eyes and gave him a small smile, but the demon turned away from her and replaced the weapon before stalking out of the room. She released the breath she was holding and looked down at the clawed hand still wrapped around her waist.

Sesshomaru realized his position and immediately released her. Sayu turned and bowed.

“You have saved my life yet again, Lord Sesshomaru. I’m eternally in your debt.”

Sesshomaru grunted and looked down at the broken sword. Sayu followed his gaze and the corners of her mouth tilted down. She knelt beside the broken steel and cradled the pieces in her hands.

“You shouldn’t feel so much attachment to a broken sword,” Sesshomaru said.

Sayu didn’t look up at him as she settled on the ground. “This wasn’t just a sword. It was my only belonging. My first master gave it to me and it’s the only thing I’ve had with me in all my years as a slave,” she replied sadly.

Sesshomaru’s mouth twitched as he regarded the woman. The rusty, old thing was obviously important to her, but it was beyond repair. It had lost its will to fight and could therefore never be restored. He looked away from her and let out a long breath.

“Prepare yourself. We leave tomorrow. You have rested long enough,” Sesshomaru ordered.

Sayu scowled at the command and glared at her shackles. Any order, no matter how small, had to be obeyed. Standing up from the lifeless sword, Sayu left the room without another word.

Sesshomaru waited until she was a good distance away before walking over to the fragments of metal and gathering them up.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Sayu sighed and placed a hand where her blade should have been. This would be the second time she traveled with Sesshomaru unarmed and it left a strange feeling in her gut. They would be leaving in a few hours and Rin had yet to awaken. A smile softened the harsh expression on her face when she thought of the girl snoozing on her bed. Rin formed a bad habit of sneaking in her room at night to sleep, but Sayu did nothing to deter her. She was certain Sesshomaru wouldn’t approve of the little girl staying with a slave every night so Sayu made sure to have her safely tucked in her own bed before the other house servants made their rounds.

A light knock on her door drew her attention away from Rin and she glided to the screen and cracked it open.

“Kaito?” she whispered before fully opening it.

He looked distraught and she was worried Sesshomaru changed his mind about letting her and Rin travel with him again.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Can I speak with you?”

Sayu glanced back at Rin before stepping into the hallway and shutting the door behind her.

“I see Rin has become a permanent guest in your room?” Kaito joked in an effort to lighten the mood.

“Yes, Lord Sesshomaru would not be pleased if he found out,” Sayu said with a slight warning in her tone.

Kaito dipped his head and turned sad eyes on her. “Sayu, I’m sorry about yesterday. I could have seriously injured you and if Lord Sesshomaru hadn’t been there I could have… I could have…”

Sayu silenced him with a wave of her hand. “Think nothing of it. We were sparring. And he was there so everything’s all right. There’s no need to apologize.”

Kaito’s shoulders slumped and he heaved a huge sigh. A little of the light returned to his darkened eyes. “Thank you,” he breathed.

Sayu nodded and watched him carefully. “That’s not the only reason you’ve come to see me,” she stated.

He smiled then and chuckled, leaning against the solid wall behind him. “Not much gets by you.” His demeanor changed and his shoulders tensed again. “Have you thought about what I said? About finding a way to undo your curse?”

She knew this was coming. Kaito was a stubborn tiger and once he set his mind on something Hell would freeze over before he let it go. Sayu crossed her arms over her chest and leaned against the opposite wall.

“I’ve already talked to you about this. There’s no way I can break it. I don’t even remember who cursed me! Besides, I’ve tried everything. Nothing works.”

Kaito was silent a moment before he spoke again, this time in a hushed, hopeful whisper. “So you’ve tried?”

“Of course I have! You think I want to be stuck like this? I’ve tried breaking them, purifying them, even cutting my own hands off. They can sense what I’m trying to do and repel everything, like a barrier. I’ve even tried some of the darker magic.”

“Surely there’s something you haven’t done yet. I can help you!” Kaito whispered sharply.

“No, Kaito. I’m done talking about this,” Sayu said before turning to walk back to her room.

The angry tiger demon wrapped his hand around her arm and tugged her back. “Why won’t you let me help you?” he hissed.

“Because I’m afraid, okay?” she snarled, ignoring his shocked expression. “Does that answer satisfy you? I’m terrified of what I have to do to get them off. You have no idea what I’ve done. The pain I’ve gone through. Only something truly terrible will work to get them off, or the person who cursed me to begin with.”

“Sayu, I thought you weren’t afraid of anything,” Kaito whispered sympathetically.

“Yes, well, I’m only human,” she snapped before wrenching her arm free and rubbing it.

Kaito’s eyes dropped to the floor. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know about all that.”

Sayu sighed and patted him on the shoulder. “It’s okay, just quit bringing it up.” She smiled when he nodded his head, looking very much like Rin when she did something she wasn’t supposed to. “I need to get Rin back to her room before her maids go running to Sesshomaru.”

Kaito chuckled and waved goodbye, leaving Sayu to carry Rin back to her room. She was nearly done packing her things when she felt Sesshomaru’s presence just beyond her door. She rushed to open it and bowed to her master. Sayu waited for him to speak, but he continued to stand in her doorway, staring at her. Sesshomaru seemed almost shy and she had to suppress a smile at the new side of the normally stoic dog demon.

“My Lord, can I do anything for you?” she asked.

His eyes narrowed and he suddenly held out his arm. Sayu looked shocked for a moment at the large box he was offering her before taking it.

“My Lord?” she asked, unsure of what to say as she held the first gift she had ever received besides her sword and the clothes she was wearing.

“There is a formal gathering next month and others have expressed interest in seeing you,” he said before giving her a strange look and walking away.

Sayu stared after him a moment before looking back down at the box in her arms. “What just happened?” she whispered to herself.

Not wasting another second, Sayu slid the door shut and plopped down in the middle of her room. She was slow and careful in opening it, wanting to savor every moment in case this was the only real present she would receive in her uncertain life. When she finally lifted the lid, she gasped and brought a hand to her mouth. Folded in the box was a beautiful red kimono with a gold flower pattern stitched across it. But it was the silver comb sitting on top of the vibrant fabric that brought tears to her eyes.

Sayu picked it up gently and pressed it against her chest before looking at it again. There was no doubt in her mind that it was her sword. She laughed out loud when she realized Sesshomaru had taken the broken fragments and had them forged into the beautiful piece in her hands. The metal was molded into intricate flowers and several rubies were fashioned into the design. She traced the lines with her finger and let out a shaky sigh. The forgotten kimono was soon rediscovered and Sayu stared at it, too afraid to touch it lest she tear or dirty the expensive cloth. Instead she replaced the comb and gave her presents one more wistful sigh before covering the box and slipping it beneath the desk in her room and stacking her folded sheets on top of it. Leaving the precious gifts behind made her sick, but she couldn’t take them with her. Eri was the only woman who tended to her room and she was certain even if the curious demoness found the kimono and comb she wouldn’t take them.

One last glance around her barren room and she was out the door and met by an already irritated Jaken.

“Slave! Get Rin ready at once. Lord Sesshomaru is ready to leave now.”

“But it’s so early. Surely Rin can sleep for at least another hour.”

“How dare you go against Lord Sesshomaru’s direct orders! If he wants to leave now then we leave now.”

Sayu frowned at Jaken as he scampered off down the hall to finish preparations for the trip. Her stomach growled and she hoped Sesshomaru would at least let them eat before they left.

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Another loud growl pierced the otherwise quiet air and Sayu dropped her head in embarrassment. Both she and Rin had been a chorus of grumbling stomachs since they left that morning, and Sesshomaru showed no signs of stopping.

“Lord Sesshomaru, I’m so hungry. Can’t I stop and get some berries?” Rin asked.

“Rin, don’t complain,” was all Sesshomaru said in reply.

Rin whimpered and rubbed her stomach before leaning over Ah-Un and moping. They were three hours into their trip and well away from the castle in an area Sayu had never seen.

“Lord Sesshomaru,” Rin began in a questioning tone.

Sesshomaru glanced at the girl over his shoulder without saying a word.

“Where are we going?”

Sesshomaru turned honey eyes from Rin to Sayu’s shackles. “To see an old friend.”

The human woman shied away from his intense gaze and looked off into the forest. Sesshomaru’s mouth twitched and he turned his attention forward again.

The next few hours dragged on in much the same way. Six hours into the trip Sesshomaru finally allowed them to stop and forage for food, but said they didn’t have time for Sayu to hunt. She gathered as many berries and fruits she could find for Rin and portioned only a small amount for herself. Once Rin ate her fill, Sayu had a few more berries and tucked the rest away for later should Sesshomaru not let them stop again.

As they got farther and farther from Sesshomaru’s castle, the sky grew darker and a small chill laced the breeze.

“Onee-san, is it going to storm?” Rin asked.

Sayu studied the clouds above her and took in a deep breath. The air was heavy and everything seemed tense, like the calm before the storm.

“Yes, Rin. And if I’m correct it’s going to be a bad one,” she murmured, the sound almost drowned out by the violent whipping of the leaves surrounding them.

Sesshomaru ignored them and continued on. They needed to reach the border before night fell to ensure they made it through the dangerous area the next day before the sun set. The safe area of his lands inhabited by humans was coming to an end, and he needed to prepare Sayu for what they’d be facing tomorrow night should they not make it to their destination before dusk. His human companions would be safe tonight, but the demons on the other side of the human border were vicious; nothing compared to him, but he still wasn’t sure about Sayu’s ability to handle an actual fight with a demon wanting to kill. He frowned and picked up the pace. There were questions that needed answering, and only he could answer them.

Another two hours into their journey and Sayu and Rin were ready to collapse. At a normal pace, Sayu would have no trouble keeping up, but her master was walking so quickly she often found herself in a light jog just to keep up. Rin was lucky to be riding the dragon, but her back end was so sore she was about to get down and start running next to Sayu. To their relief, rain started pouring from the sky and they were both soaked to the skin in a matter of seconds.

“Lord Sesshomaru,” Rin yelled over the thunder, “can we please stop? It’s raining so hard!”

Sesshomaru growled at the weather’s interference and changed his direction. It would be even more inconvenient if the two humans got sick. And they weren’t too far from the border; about another three hours. He walked a new path through the forest and didn’t look back to see Ah-Un huffing as he tried to pick his way through with Rin shouting encouragements from his back.

Sayu tried to help the dragon by pulling back branches and leaning over bushes to make his trip easier. Jaken was squalling at them to keep up and Sayu had to restrain herself from kicking him, instead taking her frustration out on the branches she was breaking for Ah-Un. So wrapped up was she in her grumbling that she didn’t notice Sesshomaru stop and stumbled right into him after pulling a particularly stubborn branch out of the way. His silky hair was wet against her face and made his scent thicker than normal. The woody scent was masculine and strong and filled her stomach with butterflies.

“M-My Lord, I..” she said, pushing away from his hard body and looking to the ground. “I’m so sorry, My Lord.”

She shot Rin a glare when the small child started laughing, but it immediately turned to concern when she fell from the dragon’s back and right into a bush. Sayu rushed over to her and fished her out, cradling the sniffling girl to her chest and rocking her.

“Onee-san…” Rin cried.

“What is it? Are you injured?”

Rin stuck out her hand and a big thorn was stuck in her palm with a thin trail of blood washing away in the soaking rain. Sayu cooed over the wound and plucked the thorn out before standing and walking to Sesshomaru, Rin tucked safely in her strong arms.

“Is this where we’re staying tonight?” she asked.

Sesshomaru nodded and began walking to the cave in front of him. Sayu followed with Rin in her arms and Jaken grabbed Ah-Un’s reins and soon they were all in the dry cave.

“Jaken, start a fire,” Sesshomaru commanded.

The frog demon’s mouth dropped and he glared at Sayu who was already sitting and fussing over Rin’s little wound. He left in a huff and disappeared into the rain.

Sesshomaru turned and watched as Sayu kissed Rin’s palm and took a piece of cloth from inside her shirt and wrapped Rin’s hand.

“There, all better,” she said and smiled.

Rin shivered and cuddled closer into her protector. “Onee-san, I’m cold. And it stinks in here,” she whined.

Sayu laughed and tucked her head under her chin. “Go to sleep. Jaken will have a fire started before you know it.”

“But I’m not tired.”

“Trust me, you will be,” Sayu said as she began rocking back and forth and humming a sweet melody.

Rin’s eyes fluttered closed and she was asleep not long after. Sesshomaru watched all this with mild fascination and a small feeling of pride welled up in his chest at the maternal instincts of the woman. She knew how to care for a pup, and that was important for a female if she was to breed. Sesshomaru growled and shook the thought from his head, not wanting to admit that filling her belly with a few pups was a very appealing idea.