InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Live and Let Die (Part 3): Learning To Deal ❯ No...They're Not The Same ( Chapter 2 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thanks much for the reviews left so far. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate the time you took to leave one.
 
 
 
Live and Let Die: Learning to Deal
 
 
Chapter 2: No…they're not the same…
 
 
Shippou had high-tailed it back to the hut and the safety of Kaede and the others as fast as he could run. He just knew that either Kagome, or more likely, InuYasha, was going to come looking for him. He ran through the door and threw himself down on his mat in the corner where he curled up into a ball and pretended to go to sleep.
 
Miroku, Sango, and Kaede were sitting around the fire when the kit ran past them. They all just stared at him as he huddled in the corner.
 
“Um, Shippou? It's a little early to retire for the evening, isn't it?” Miroku asked.
 
“No. I'm tired. I'm going to sleep now,” the kitsune responded.
 
“Shippou, what have you done?” Kaede asked. She recognized `guilty' when she saw it.
 
“Nothin', I ain't done nothin',” Shippou insisted.
 
“Then why are you balled up and hiding in the corner?” Sango prodded.
 
“I didn't say InuYasha turns mortal the night of the new moon in front of Lord Sesshomaru. I didn't say it out loud.” Shippou clamped his hand over his mouth. He had done it again.
 
The gasps that filled the room quieted and the palpable silence that filled it started to become very uncomfortable. Shippou cracked one eye to see that all three humans and one firecat were staring at him.
 
“I am suddenly reminded why Kagome and InuYasha did not wish to discuss certain aspects of their mating in front of you,” Miroku finally said. “Did you really reveal that to Lord Sesshomaru?”
 
“I didn't mean to - it just came out!” Shippou exclaimed.
 
Kaede shook her head. “Shippou, as long as you cannot prove that you are trustworthy, they may not let you travel with them. I thought you were going to start thinking before you speak. Did we not have this conversation while the others were away on their last trip?”
 
Shippou sat up and hung his head. “Yes, Kaede. But I was worried, and then I was scared, and then I was happy to see them, and then Sesshomaru showed up and scared me…”
 
“What?” the three exclaimed together.
 
Shippou then started to explain how he had tried tracking them to the well for practice and continued through the entire fiasco until Kagome and InuYasha reappeared at the well, which was when he managed to `out' InuYasha in front of his brother.
 
“So they did not go home when they said they were going to. I wonder where they went?” Miroku pondered.
 
“I don't know, but they sure smelled a lot like each other when they came back. Kagome smelled like she was full of InuYasha's scent,” Shippou told them.
 
That caused the three of them to choke, though a broad grin started to spread across Miroku's face.
 
“Hentai!” Sango yelled as she slapped him for good measure.
 
“My dear Sango, they are mates, you know,” the monk stated.
 
“Shippou?”
 
“I know, Kaede. But what did I say wrong?” the kit asked.
 
That just made Miroku break out into laughter, resulting in Sango slapping him again before she stormed out of the hut. Kaede just shook her head again. “Shippou, I think it is time that InuYasha had a talk with you.”
 
Miroku was now rolling on the floor, holding his sides because he was laughing so hard. While the hanyou had managed to get through his “talk” with Miroku, the monk couldn't even begin to imagine how he was going to explain this to the inquisitive kitsune.
 
“Houshi, he will probably need your assistance,” Kaede said dryly.
 
The monk stopped laughing.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
“Byakuya,” the dark hanyou stated.
 
“Naraku,” the incarnation responded.
 
“Deliver a message to Kikyou and to Kouga of the wolf tribe. Tell Kikyou that InuYasha has taken her reincarnation as a lover. Tell the ookami prince that Kagome has taken the half-breed as a lover. Let them know that they fuck each other like two wild animals in the forest. Return when you have succeeded,” Naraku ordered.
 
“No one else?” Byakuya asked.
 
“No. The Saimyoushou spotted Sesshomaru already headed towards InuYasha's village. I just want to make sure that everyone who might want to play is there. Kukuku.”
 
“As you wish,” Byakuya stated before he took out a paper crane and flew off.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sango had stormed out of the hut, though she wasn't sure whom she was the most furious at: Shippou for telling them just enough for her to know what Kagome and InuYasha were obviously doing, or the monk for nearly getting that far with her before Kirara had interrupted them.
 
The philandering monk had gone back to his regular ways as soon as the girls had returned to the village they had saved from the snake youkai. She was so angry with him that she couldn't think straight. And even though he was making an appearance of trying to control his tongue and his hand since they had returned to Kaede's, the slayer still could not really trust him. However, she had allowed her barriers to fall just a little as the monk had accompanied her on a walk out to the well, and she had even allowed him to kiss her again before they were so rudely interrupted by Shippou yelling to announce the arrival of InuYasha and Kagome.
 
Kirara had run out of the hut after her and was currently walking alongside of the demon slayer. The firecat took her cue to jump when Sango held her arms out to her.
 
“Kirara, why am I so jealous of Kagome? She was so miserable for so long and now that she is happy, I am miserable. I just cannot trust Houshi. One minute all of his attention is only on me and the next he is asking the pretty girls in whatever village we are in to bear his child again. I know he has not in a few days, but who knows how soon he will start it all over? I cannot believe I let him kiss me today. I might have lost myself if Shippou had not come running out to the well. What am I going to do?”
 
Kirara just meowed and rubbed her head against Sango's chest.
 
“I know, I know. I wish I could trust him. I know he told me he has never really been with another since I joined the group, but that does not make his behavior hurt any less. And on top of that, I have a hard time trusting InuYasha. I am still afraid he will do something to hurt Kagome. Or worse, I almost wish that he would. What is wrong with me? How did things become so complicated?”
 
“He will not dishonor his mate. It is not the youkai way. Even if he is only half, he is still honorable.”
 
Sango jumped. She had completely missed the powerful demonic aura that surrounded Lord Sesshomaru and almost walked right into him.
 
“I…I am sorry, Lord Sesshomaru. I did not realize you were there,” Sango said in reply.
 
“That much is obvious,” the Demon Lord replied. “Why do you think that he would?”
 
“You really want to know?” Sango asked hesitantly.
 
Sesshomaru nodded, so Sango launched into the history surrounding InuYasha, Kagome, and Kikyou.
 
“Hn. That explains things that this Sesshomaru did not understand earlier. However, InuYasha has claimed the little miko as his mate. His body, soul - his very life - is tied to hers. He will not do anything to dishonor his union with her. This Sesshomaru is disturbed that you, who proclaim a friend of them both, would want him to. Has InuYasha not helped to protect you as well as the others?”
 
Sango wiped away the tears that were trying to escape her eyes. “I do not really want him to. I am just upset. I am sorry - humans, especially females, are not always as rational as you are.”
 
Sesshomaru almost chuckled. He thought that was an understatement. He also thought it was time to change the topic. “Did the kitsune return the to old miko's hut?”
 
The Taiyoukai was surprised when he smelled the scent of fear surge through the slayer on behalf of the kit. “This Sesshomaru intends him no harm, though he could use another lashing to help control his tongue.”
 
“So it is true, he really told you?” Sango was almost talking to herself.
 
“It was nothing that this Sesshomaru did not already know. The half-breed's secret is safe.”
 
“We have already talked to Shippou about what he said,” Sango said with a sigh. “And it really scared him when he realized what he had done. At least no harm came from it this time.”
 
“Next time, you may not be so lucky,” Sesshomaru responded.
 
“We know. We have already told him he needs to learn to control his tongue or be left behind again on the next trip.”
 
Sesshomaru nodded in understanding and then said, “Rin is at the river with Jaken and Ah-Un. Would you have room for her again?”
 
“I am sure we can make room. In fact, I am certain that Kaede would be glad too. We all keep hoping that she will rub off on Shippou,” Sango replied.
 
“This Sesshomaru will bring her to the old miko's hut, then.”
 
“Take Kirara with you so she doesn't have to walk. Rin seems to like riding her, anyway.”
 
“That is acceptable.” And with that, Sesshomaru turned towards the river. Kirara jumped out of Sango's arms and followed after him.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha had picked his mate up and jumped into the well and in turn jumped back out on the other side to softly land on the floor of the well house. He set Kagome on her feet and she turned to face him, wrapping her arms around him and burying her face against his chest.
 
“What is it, Kagome?” the hanyou asked softly as he wrapped his arms around her, practically hiding her within the folds of his firerat.
 
“Can you believe he has known all of this time and never did anything? It would have been so easy to kill you, and the rest of us, if he had really wanted to,” the miko said thoughtfully.
 
“Well, he did say I was not a worthy opponent when I am mortal,” InuYasha stated rather bluntly.
 
Kagome responded, “That never stopped him from striking down any other humans who crossed him.”
 
InuYasha opened his mouth, but nothing came out. She was right. Sesshomaru had ruthlessly killed other humans who had crossed his path for something as simple as not getting out of his way. Instead, he held his mate close and then reached down to kiss her. When they pulled apart, he kissed her again on the forehead before he pulled the miko tightly to him and rested his head on top of hers. “You were right when you said he is complicated. We'll go nuts if we try to figure Sesshomaru out. Are you ready to go in?”
 
The hanyou felt Kagome sigh against him. “Yeah, we'd better go in and get some dinner. I guess we have to face my grandfather at some point.”
 
InuYasha softly kissed her one more time before he turned loose, holding on to her hand. “Well, come on, then. Let's go eat,” he said before leading the way, their fingers interlocked together.
 
The grounds of the shrine were silent other than the last chirps from birds in the trees before they roosted for the evening. While the sun was past the horizon, the last of the natural light was just fading away as the evening began. Kagome and InuYasha walked hand in hand across the grounds and entered the house, stopping long enough for Kagome to remove her shoes.
 
“Remind me to take them back to my room,” she said, muttering mostly to herself. She might need them again if they went running out through her window as they had that morning.
 
InuYasha waited patiently until she was ready and then they went to the kitchen. They were surprised to find only Mama there.
 
“Where are Jii-chan and Souta?” Kagome asked.
 
“I fed them their dinner early. Souta is up in his room finishing his homework, and your grandfather retired early to put a heating pad on his back. I have supper for you if you want to sit down,” Mama replied.
 
“Thanks Mama.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Mama poured a cup of tea for each of them before putting their food on the table.
 
“Is something wrong, honey?” Mama asked her daughter with concern.
 
“What do you mean, Mama?” Kagome responded.
 
“Well, I don't have to be psychic to see that something happened when you were in the past. Is everything all right?”
 
Kagome had slightly jumped when her mother used the word “psychic” but then realized she didn't mean it, she hoped. “It's just that we learned something about Sesshomaru we did not know.”
 
“InuYasha's brother?” Mama clarified.
 
“Yeah, he arrived while we were back. Well, he was coming anyway to help with our training,” Kagome told her.
 
“What can he help you with?” Mama sidetracked them from the original discussion.
 
Kagome sighed and looked at InuYasha. He nodded so she took a deep breath before she said, “We didn't tell you quite everything this morning.”
 
Her mother did not say anything but just looked at her expectantly, so Kagome continued, “InuYasha and I have developed some telepathic abilities.”
 
“Well, Honey, I'm not all that surprised,” Mama stated, shocking both her daughter and the hanyou.
 
“What do you mean?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Well, you two have been practically starting and finishing each other's sentences. Sometimes one of you will answer a question that I did not even hear the other ask. You have a tremendous amount of non-verbal communication whether you realize it or not,” Mama answered.
 
“But Mama, we were actually able to talk to each other with our minds, and not only that, I was able to speak with a bear youkai that way, too,” Kagome practically whispered.
 
They sat in silence sipping their tea for a few minutes before her mother asked, “So how will Sesshomaru be able to help you?”
 
“It seems that it is an ability that Inu-Youkai have though not many develop it. Sesshomaru has and said that he can help teach us to keep it under control and to use it when we need to. So far it has only been by accident. We don't really know how we reached each other,” the miko responded.
 
Mama looked thoughtful. “I see. So this is an ability you gained from InuYasha, then?”
 
“Keh, though I didn't know I had it until it happened.”
 
Mama nodded in understanding. “Now, what was it you learned about Sesshomaru that has you so serious?”
 
“Just that he has known about InuYasha's mortal night for quite some time, but never used it against us. He could have killed us all if he had wanted to. He stated that InuYasha was not a worthy opponent when he was human, but I think it goes deeper than that. Lord Sesshomaru has killed many humans just for crossing his path. If he really hated InuYasha as much as he used to say he did, I don't think that would have stopped him.” Kagome took a deep breath after she spit all of that out.
 
“I see,” Mama stated. “Didn't you say that he takes care of a human girl?”
 
“Yeah, I would guess she was around seven or eight when she first followed after him. That's when I first noticed subtle changes in him,” Kagome answered.
 
“Oi, if we try to figure my brother out, we'll all just have a hea…head…head-ache,” InuYasha offered.
 
Kagome laughed. “He's right. Sesshomaru is far too complicated to understand. We'll just be grateful and accept his help since he offered.”
 
“Keh.”
 
Kagome then asked the other question that was bothering her. “Mama, how did Jii-chan take what you told him this morning, about my marks, I mean?”
 
“You mean did I tell him how they got there?” her mother asked.
 
“Well, I kind of thought you must have from his reaction.”
 
Her mother sighed. “He knew in his mind what you being mated to InuYasha meant; he just had not really accepted it yet. He does want to know when you plan to have a proper wedding.”
 
“Did you tell him as soon as I finish school? I mean, that is what we've already said. I want to wait unless we finish the jewel before then. In that case, I would want to be married here before my family in case the well seals me on the other side when I purify it.”
 
That thought made everyone at the table rather somber.
 
“Maybe we could compromise and you could get an engagement ring. We can't really have a Yui-no without any of InuYasha's family here,” Mama offered.
 
“Engagement ring?” They could hear the confusion in InuYasha's voice.
 
“It would show other humans that we are promised to be married,” Kagome told him. “But Mama, I don't have money for a diamond ring, and InuYasha doesn't either.”
 
“Diamonds?” InuYasha's ears had perked up.
 
“You're not thinking…”
 
“Why not?”
 
Mama looked confused.
 
“Not here!” Kagome exclaimed.
 
“No, I made that mistake once before,” the hanyou stated.
 
Kagome looked puzzled. She didn't know about what InuYasha had done with Souta's encouragement, including nearly knocking a plane out of the sky.
 
“When we go back, Kagome. I just need to find an open space that won't be affected too badly by the damage,” InuYasha finished. `Or at least where it won't matter,' he thought.
 
“What in the world are you two talking about?” Mama finally asked.
 
“The Kongousouha attack,” InuYasha stated proudly.
 
“Would you like to explain that in a little more detail?” Mama suggested.
 
“Tessaiga has an attack where the blade turns to diamond and throws diamond spears. InuYasha can command it at will, but it does a LOT of damage since it is normally used to take down a particularly powerful foe,” Kagome answered.
 
“Oh.” Mama sat back in her chair. InuYasha could really make diamonds with his sword? It seemed the surprises would never come to an end with these two.
 
That settled, they both dug into their food before it went completely cold.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Sesshomaru arrived back at Kaede's hut with Kirara following behind carrying Rin. He had left a grumbling Jaken at the river with the two-headed dragon, muttering that the girl should just be left with the humans. The toad imp received a thump on the head for his trouble.
 
Rin bowed politely to the others as they came out to greet her.
 
Kaede spoke first, “Welcome back, child.”
 
“Thank you, Kaede-sama,” the little girl replied as her tummy gave a loud rumble.
 
Sango laughed. “Can I take it that you are hungry?”
 
“Yes, Sango-sama.” Rin responded.
 
“Lord Sesshomaru, may we offer you anything? We really do have plenty if you would like a bowl of stew,” Miroku offered.
 
Sesshomaru looked at Rin's pleading eyes and almost sighed. “That is acceptable.”
 
Rin clapped her hands together and looked expectantly at their hosts.
 
“Well, come on in then. Let us get you something to eat,” Kaede stated.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
InuYasha and Kagome each felt much better when they woke up the next morning. It had been a relief to both of them to finally clear the air with the old man, and Kagome was also relieved that her mother believed her when they had divulged their telepathic abilities to her. What had surprised the young miko was that her mother wasn't taken aback at all by their announcement. The couple also was greatly relaxed when they returned from the feudal era, so they had slept soundly through the night. InuYasha would never admit out loud how much he enjoyed sleeping in Kagome's time with no worries. It was not often that he was able to sleep without fear of attack.
 
They dressed and went downstairs to find the others already at the table, waiting on breakfast. No one had really had their morning tea to wake up yet and mumbled “mornin'” to each other as they patiently waited for their food. Fortunately, neither Jii-chan nor Souta had any questions this morning and they were able to eat in peace. Things were much calmer than the previous morning.
 
Kagome helped her mother with the dishes as Souta went to school and her grandfather out to tend to his duties at the shrine.
 
“So, what are you two planning today?” Mama asked as they were putting dishes away.
 
“Kaede told us that we both need to work on our meditation before we return. I thought we could go out and start with that,” Kagome told her mother and then asked, “Alright, InuYasha?”
 
“Keh. Where do you want to go? Goshinboku?”
 
Kagome nodded. “It has always helped me clear my mind. We can sit out there and practice what she told us.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha said as he stood. “Let's go.”
 
Kagome led the hanyou out under their favorite tree and dropped cross-legged to the ground. She indicated to InuYasha to do the same, facing her.
 
“Kaede said we should do this together,” she commented as she rested her arms on her knees with her palms facing up. InuYasha responded by doing the same, laying his hands over hers but palms down.
 
“Now what?” the hanyou asked.
 
“Kaede said that we should search inside of ourselves for the center of our power. There should be some point where it is stronger because it is the source. I think we just need to close our eyes and filter out any distractions and concentrate.”
 
“Keh,” InuYasha responded as he closed his eyes.
 
Kagome closed her eyes and attempted to filter out the distractions around them: Jii-chan sweeping the grounds, birds chirping in the trees, and an irate squirrel chattering about something. She tried taking long, slow, even breaths, but the noises around them seemed to become louder. Instead of filtering them out, it was like she had amplified them. The miko huffed in frustration and tried again. She had to be able to do this in order to even start with Kaede, much less Miroku. The thought of the wayward monk's hand made her chuckle - she didn't know how she could even begin to do this around him without worrying about him groping her.
 
“What's so funny, wench?”
 
“Sorry, InuYasha. I'm having a hard time clearing my head from the noises around me.”
 
“Here,” InuYasha said as he wrapped his hands around hers. “I was getting somewhere concentrating on your breathing, at least until you giggled. Why don't you try the same and concentrate on something about me?”
 
That made Kagome giggle again. “All right, but what I would want to think about would probably not be approved by either my grandfather or Kaede.”
 
InuYasha just grinned and closed his eyes again.
 
Kagome discovered that InuYasha was right. If she tried to focus on something, it helped her clear out everything else. As she began to tune out the noises in the world around her, she started to move her focus from her mate's breathing towards her own body. She did not realize that she and InuYasha had become in tune with each other and were now breathing together.
 
The young miko began to concentrate on her own body, and was not surprised when she finally found what she thought she was looking for encased around her heart. It only made sense since she was driven not only for her love of InuYasha, but of all of her friends and family as well. She had released the most power whenever something had angered her heart, like when Naraku played his cruel trick on Sango, which resulted in Kagome releasing so much power she vaporized his body. Kagome tried to keep her breathing steady, even though she was racing in excitement at finding what Kaede told her to look for. Trying to relax, she started to hone in on her heart.
 
InuYasha had no trouble focusing on the breathing of his mate, thanks to his sensitive hearing. He thought it was odd that while he was usually trying to pick up everything around him, now he was trying to tune out his surroundings. He did not know what made him tune into his mate, but once he did, suddenly he was able to start filtering out the sounds around him, concentrating on her slow, even breathing. However, when she giggled, he lost it his focus and looked up.
 
Now that he had told her how he was coping, Kagome's breathing had evened out again, and she seemed to be having more success as he felt her relax. Remembering what he was supposed to be doing, he started to turn his attention from his mate and discovered he could focus on his own heart beating. He did not realize that his own body had begun to relax as well while he searched for the source of his youki.
 
InuYasha almost chuckled himself when he realized where his youki was strongest. It figured that it was concentrated somewhere in his gut. Resolving himself to do what he was supposed to, he reached inward and focused where it was strongest. Once he found it, he willed himself to pull it to where he could make use of it. Relaxing and releasing, he started again to make certain it was still in the same place. Sure enough, there it was, where he first found it.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Shippou brightened up the following morning after suffering with his fear the night before. He was still quivering in the corner when Lord Sesshomaru came in with Rin. The kitsune had remained balled up on his mat, trying to pretend that he was already asleep when he realized that Sesshomaru was coming in for a bowl of stew with his ward. No one noticed the barely perceptible twinge the Taiyoukai's lip gave when he saw the kit huddled in the corner. He could smell the fear emanating from him and even hear the pounding of his heart. He said nothing, but sat down and accepted the bowl of stew that was given him.
 
When Shippou woke the next morning he realized that he was still alive and that Sesshomaru was no longer in the immediate vicinity. He was somewhere still close enough that the kit could feel the powerful demonic aura, but at least the Demon Lord was no longer at the hut. He had disappeared into the trees after he bade Rin goodnight the evening before. Still, Shippou's heart was pounding so hard in fear of what Sesshomaru might do to him for saying what he had, it had taken hours for him to truly fall asleep. He was relieved to find that he might be able to eat his breakfast without fear. Surely, if Sesshomaru were going to punish him in any way, he would have already done so.
 
The kitsune looked around to see that he was the only one left in the hut. Apparently he had slept late since it took him so long to get to sleep at all. He jumped up and brushed himself off and went outside to find out what was going on.
 
 
 
Sesshomaru had left Rin in the care of the old miko and returned to the river to check on Jaken and Ah-Un. Satisfied that his vassal was behaving himself, he strode through the wood to return to the area of the well and the Tree of Ages. He had been pleased to see that the kitsune had indeed been repentant about his loose tongue, though there was no way to know whether it was because he had revealed InuYasha's deepest secret to someone who had been an enemy, or because he was simply terrified of what Sesshomaru might do to him. In any case, hopefully the experience would go some towards helping the kit control his tongue. The corner of the Demon Lord's lip actually twitched as he remembered the sight of Shippou huddled in the corner, his hands clutched protectively around his furry little butt. For now, everything remained intact.
 
Sesshomaru had spent the night at the base of the Goshinboku. He had not really slept, but had spent the night thinking back to those many years ago when his father had worked with him to open and use his mind for communication. The Inu-youkai had been surprised to learn that InuYasha, a hanyou, had also inherited the ability and then passed it along to his mate. Sesshomaru was going through the lessons in his mind, sorting and considering what would be best to use. He knew he would have to be careful with the miko because she was human and would not be able to tolerate as much as a youkai could, at least not until he had a chance to work with both her and his brother on building up their defenses. Sesshomaru did not want to accidentally do anything to risk shattering her mind, but he also knew he might have to push her to make her understand what an enemy would be capable of. The Demon Lord also did not want to do anything that would make her instinctively reach out to protect herself. Being purified by an angry miko was not how he planned on leaving this earth.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
 
Once InuYasha started to feel some success at his task, he wondered if he could reach out to Kagome. He imagined wrapping the warmth of his youki around her, protecting her, as they sat and meditated together under the tree. The hanyou was pleased when he realized that not only did it feel like he might have succeeded, but that he could feel her returning the gesture. It felt like he was being wrapped in a warm, fuzzy blanket as Kagome's miko aura encased him. He could feel her love for him pouring through it.
 
Kagome audibly gasped when she felt the power of InuYasha start to gently fold around her, making her feel that she was inside of a cocoon. Through it, she could feel InuYasha's deep desire to protect her from all harm as well as his love for her. Wondering if she could do the same, she imagined her aura wrapping around her hanyou, pouring the love that she had for him in her heart into it along with the desire to protect him as well.
 
The couple had become even more relaxed as they wrapped each other in their auras. Now, not only were they breathing together, but their hearts had synchronized as well. InuYasha's fiery red aura folded into Kagome's pink as the two meditated together.
 
 
 
It was nearing lunchtime, and Grandpa was showing some visitors around the shrine. As he started towards the Goshinboku to brag about the ancient tree, he stopped when he realized that his granddaughter and the hanyou were glowing, their auras wrapping and twisting around each other as they sat holding hands under the tree.
 
He looked at his guests when he heard them gasp at the sight. “Sorry, I forgot that they were rehearsing today. Let me show you the ancient Bone-Eater's Well instead.”
 
Grandpa looked back over his shoulder as he started towards the well. How would he explain that away? Fortunately, it appeared he would not have to.
 
“What kind of special effects were those? I've haven't seen anything like that without computer help,” the man commented.
 
“I...I am not certain. Those technical things are way over my head. I am just a simple shrine keeper,” Grandpa answered them.
 
“Well, it certainly is impressive,” the lady added.
 
“Yes…yes it is,” Grandpa agreed as he ushered the guests towards the old well.
 
 
 
InuYasha was reveling in the feeling of love that surrounded him as he thought, `I wonder if Kagome can feel my presence as I can hers.'
 
`InuYasha?'
 
`Kagome?'
 
`Wow, we are doing it again. I wonder how?' Kagome asked.
 
`When I was able to reach you before, it was when I wasn't trying. When I tried, I couldn't, but then you heard me when I was thinking to myself,' the hanyou commented.
 
`That's true. I couldn't reach you when I tried to, either. I wonder what the trick is?' the miko thought.
 
`I guess that's what Sesshomaru will help us with,' InuYasha answered.
 
`InuYasha? Can you feel my aura wrapped around you like I can feel yours?”
 
`Wasn't that how this conversation started? I was wondering if you could feel me like I can feel you,' the hanyou responded.
 
`It feels like I'm encased in a warm, fuzzy cocoon,' Kagome responded.
 
`I was thinking I felt like you had wrapped me in a blanket,' InuYasha answered. He really didn't like to think about cocoons after their encounters with the two different moth demons.
 
`Do you think it would break the spell if we opened our eyes?' the miko asked him.
 
`Well, we obviously have to have our eyes open when we travel and fight, so I guess we should try it,' the hanyou responded.
 
`Together, on three?' Kagome suggested.
 
`Keh,' InuYasha agreed.
 
`One…two…three,' the miko counted and then slowly opened her eyes.
 
InuYasha opened his as well to see the stormy gray eyes of his mate looking lovingly at him. `Well, here goes…Kagome, can you still hear me?'
 
He saw the miko smile as she responded, `Loud and clear.'
 
`Keh,' the hanyou replied as he concentrated on his mate's beautiful face.
 
`Ummm, Kagome?'
 
`Yeah?'
 
`Do you notice anything a bit odd?' the hanyou asked as he tried to keep from losing his focus.
 
`What do you mean?' Kagome questioned. She was still focusing on his eyes.
 
`Holy shit!' Kagome exclaimed when she realized what InuYasha was referring to. They had no idea they were glowing the color of a hot pink neon sign.
 
“InuYasha!” Kagome cried out, losing her focus altogether and jolting her mate out of his, causing the hot pink glow to dissipate.
 
“What is it, Kagome?” He could hear the panic in her voice.
 
“We are out in the open, what if someone saw us?” Kagome responded as she saw InuYasha's eyes leave her face and focus on something behind her.
 
Looking back over her shoulder, Kagome saw her grandfather and mother, both rather stunned from the expression on their faces.
 
“Well, someone did see you, but they thought it was some kind of special effects,” the old man told them.
 
“That's all?” Kagome questioned.
 
“Yes. I told them you were rehearsing when I spotted you, though if they had asked, I do not know what I would have said you were rehearsing for. I think they assumed I meant for some celebration coming up at the shrine. No harm was done,” her grandfather responded.
 
Kagome released her breath that she did not realize she was holding. “I guess when we try this again we need to pick somewhere more secluded. It's just that the tree always helped to clear my mind, so I thought this would be the best place to practice.”
 
“Kagome?” It was InuYasha this time.
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Since we know where to look to start now, we could probably do this away from the tree. Maybe we could use the well house since you don't normally allow visitors inside of it,” InuYasha suggested.
 
Kagome nodded. “Alright, this time we'll practice out there.”
 
“Honey?” Mama finally spoke up.
 
“Yes, Mama?”
 
“Wouldn't you like some lunch first?” her mother asked.
 
“Lunch? Didn't we just have breakfast?” Kagome responded.
 
“You have been out here all morning. We did not want to break your concentration and were waiting on you. We thought at some point you would need to stop…” Mama commented.
 
“All morning?” InuYasha asked as he looked up to see the sun was past the midway point in the sky.
 
Mama and her grandfather both nodded in response and then her mother added, “We were about to start without you; it is getting late.”
 
InuYasha rose effortlessly to his feet, pulling Kagome up with him. “Let's eat.”
 
Now that they were out of their trance, they realized that they were starving.
 
Holding hands, Kagome and InuYasha followed her mother and grandfather into the house for lunch.
 
 
To be continued…