InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living a Lie ❯ Discussions ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Miroku winced as Sango applied the salve to his newly forming bruise.
 
“Stop wincing, it doesn't hurt that bad.”
 
“How do you know, you weren't beaten by a demon exterminator today.”
 
“Well you wouldn't have been either if you'd stop groping one!” Sango bit back, applying more salve in a not so gentle way.
 
Reaching up, Miroku grabbed Sango's hands in his own causing her to blush and stare at him.
 
“Lady Sango, you must know I mean no disrespect in my actions. I respect you with all my heart and soul.”
 
Sango began to squirm under Miroku's intense gaze, a deeper blush seeping onto her cheeks.
 
“You must understand that there are reasons why I chase after you Sango. I chase after you because you are worth it. You can beat me back with your Hiraikotsu for all you like, but I will just get back up and keep coming.”
 
“Houshi-sama, please.” Sango pleaded, attempting to free her hands from his own.
 
“Once this is all over Sango, and we return to the village. It would honor me greatly if you'd agree to bear my child.” Leaning forward, Miroku placed a gently kiss on Sango's cheek before standing and walking to the door.
 
Sesshomaru allowed a laugh to escape his lips as he and Inuyasha put down the letter sent by their father. Staring at each other the two brothers allowed themselves to share a laugh.
 
Sesshomaru and Inuyasha,
 
By now, I feel it is only right that I admit to you two the true actions of
myself, Hiroshi and Shira. We know that the two of you are more than
capable of protecting both of Shira's daughters and that you two both
care greatly for them. Our sending you away has more to do with bringing
the two of them together than it does with Shira's failing health. She is in
fact in perfect health, she faked it all to get her two daughters together and to
bring Inuyasha and Kikyo together again. Sesshomaru, you know that you were
intended for Kagome, and her for you. I know that we made an agreement that you
may now choose your own mate, but I have faith that you will make the right choice.
 
Enclosed is a present for Kagome from her mother. It is a priestess bow like the one
Lady Kikyo has, with one difference. While the bow is made of the fang of Hiroshi, it
will still enhance her miko and demon powers. It will serve her will as a weapon and
as a protection. Keep the two of them safe from harm and do not destroy each other.
 
Inu No Taisho
“So it seems we've been set up dearest brother.”
 
“Yes, apparently our father was more involved in our love lives than we knew Sess.”
 
“Speaking of which, I feel that we should -”
 
“No need. Miroku advised me and for once, he's right. I've lied to Kagome and kept too much from her. I pushed her away from me and straight to you. You care for her, I can tell and she for you. She's happy Sess, just keep it that way. If you hurt her ...”
 
“It'll never happen.”
 
The two brothers stood in silence staring at one another, and for once they understood one another. Standing to leave the room, the headed down the hall and towards where they sensed the girls were.
 
“You want me to explain how I could hurt him don't you?” Kikyo asked, tearing her eyes away from the drawing and to Kagome.
 
“Yes. I know you love him, I can see it in your eyes and I know you're hurting” noticing Kikyo's guarded expression Kagome explained. “I heard you crying last night. I may not know you well Kikyo, but you still are my sister. If you are truly sorry, then you deserve another chance, but if you hurt him again I swear that I will not hesitate to ensure that my attack does not miss.”
 
Chuckling at her sister's threat and joke, Kikyo sighed as she resolved to tell her everything. Kagome's eyes darted to the side, to the door beside them as Kikyo began, her eyes downcast at her lap.
 
“In order for me to explain my actions towards Inuyasha, I guess I would have to start with before you were born.”
 
“Before I was born?”
 
“It's complicated. I was young, very young, but as I grew up the actions surrounding my youth came into perspective. Our mother was one of the most powerful and respected priestesses in any land. She was known as a great healer across the country side and was respected by any village. That is, until she met Hiroshi. Granted, I now know what a kind and great Lord he is, but before, I resented him. He destroyed our mother's reputation and her honor. My father had died before I was born in a local war. It was unheard of for a priestess to mate with a demon, they were of pure spirit, blood and heart.” Looking away, slightly ashamed, Kikyo stared off into the darkening sky as she continued. “When mother was taken as Hiroshi's mate, we moved to the fortress in the Western Lands. It was there that you were born and from there that you and Inuyasha were smuggled back to the well. While they were gone, I was exploring the fortress and village and overheard villagers and demons alike. Demons disrespected your father for taking a priestess as a mate, and the humans disrespected our mother for the fact that she went against her priestess teachings to mate a demon. As I grew older, the whispering ceased as demons came to respect your mother and humans learned of Hiroshi's kindness and pure nature - for a demon that is. The thing is, when I was 10, I was sent back to the village near the well to be trained by mother's mentor. I was to learn the miko ways just as she did. Once back there, the whisperings began again. The village had not forgotten the shame our mother had caused them and my anger only grew. I resolved never to return to the fortress and resented mother, Hiroshi and you. When I met Inuyasha, it all changed. I fell in love with him and began to understand what our mother was thinking and feeling. Yet, I had become well respected in our village and the neighboring ones. So when word that I was carousing with a demon got around, I felt my reputation slipping away just as our mother's had. In order to attempt to protect it, I unfortunately denied my relations with Inuyasha to that local boy. In doing that, I had saved my reputation, turned Shira, Hiroshi and Inu no Taisho against me. But the worst was the fact that I had hurt Inuyasha. I was stupid, I was young and in retrospect my reputation meant nothing to me compared to the pain I had caused Inuyasha.”
 
“I knew that it wasn't as simple as it had seemed.” Kagome replied with a smile, a bit of mischief twinkling in her eyes.
 
Kikyo began to lean away from Kagome as she regarded her sister's expression. Kagome stood and dusted off herself as she walked over to the door. Sliding it to the side, she revealed Sesshomaru and Inuyasha standing behind it. Kikyo gasped as she looked into Inuyasha's eyes, embarrassed by what he had just heard and the fact that she had been so distracted she didn't even notice their presence.
 
Walking over to Sesshomaru, Kagome grabbed his hand as she led him back into the building, leaving the other two alone.
 
“You knew we were there the whole time didn't you?” Sesshomaru asked, a smile gracing his lips as he regarded the woman beside me.
 
“I did. While I wanted to know the truth as well, I felt that if he heard it too than maybe he'd give her another chance.”
 
“You took quite a risk that it would have been a reasonable explanation. What would you have done if she had no reason?”
 
“I knew she did. I could tell that she loved him, and truly regretted what she'd done, and I also knew he still cares for her. It was a risk that was worth taking. Besides, if she started saying anything detrimental, I would have stopped it.”
 
Laughing, Sesshomaru steered Kagome to the package sitting on the floor for her.
 
Kikyo snapped her eyes away from Inuyasha's, attempting to hide her embarrassment over what she'd said.
 
Walking forward, Inuyasha walked past Kikyo and leaned against a porch support. Staring out away from the building he began to speak.
 
“Why didn't you ever tell me all that?”
 
“You never let me” Kikyo argued back, snapping her head up as she spoke.
 
Spinning on his heel, Inuyasha turned to stare down at her. “You never tried!”
 
“You don't know how it hard it was to talk to you!” standing up to counter his movements, Kikyo stood face to face with him, only a foot apart.
“How hard it was to talk to me?! You never said anything to me!”
 
“That's because you ran from me! You never talked to me either! How am I supposed to open my heart and soul to someone who wouldn't even look at me?!”
 
“How am I supposed to talk to someone who shattered my heart and trust!?”
 
The two screamed at one another until they screamed themselves out. Calming down they looked at one another. Realizing they were merely inches from one another and almost touching the two immediately looked away and took a step back, crimson blushes seeping onto their cheeks.
 
Looking away, the two merely stood in silence, neither willing to be the first to speak again.
 
A dark figure knelt in the shadows and bowed in respect as they spoke “Lord Shin, we have found them. They are at Inu no Taisho's smaller compound only a few day's journey from the main city.”
 
“And security?”
 
“Hardly any at all. The brothers and the other miko will be the hardest challenge, but there is an exterminator with a neko demon and a monk with them.”
 
“They are of no concern to us. The brothers will be easily disposed of and the miko will not put up much of a fight. Make the preparations.”
 
“Yes sir.” The figure bowed once more as they disappeared into the shadows.
 
“Soon I will have my revenge” Shin whispered to himself.
 
From a peep hole behind the bookcase, Jaken shuffled off as fast as he could.
 
I must tell Lord Sesshomaru!
 
Dun dun dun! (j/k)
 
Okay, first of all I am Soooooooo sorry it took this long. I've been so busy and well to be honest I've never written any Inu/Kikyo so I struggled with how their interaction should be. I know it is shorter than the other updates, but I'm going to try to write again soon. I hope you enjoyed it and update soon.