InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living Weapons ❯ Alone ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~* Edited 01/26/07*~*
 
Living Weapons
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Company; they belong to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. This is a completely fictional work and any relation to events or persons, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
 
Summary: Four tools of gods - healing, destruction, wisdom, and control - are reborn on earth with no memory, but retaining their skills. At their inevitable meeting, which path will they choose?
 
Chapter Five: Realizations
 
Kagome snuggled deeper in Inuyasha's arms, and he couldn't help but hold her even tighter, cradling her in his arms despite the blood dripping off their wounds like tears. As he raced through the woods and into the building, he could not help but think one dismal thought, I could have hurt her. I almost did. She would be better off without me… So he made a decision. She would be better off without him, and, anyway, she had piles of other friends - Sango, Miroku, Shippou - she would forget him within days. A nagging voice in the back of his head told him, no, she would not. Resolutely, he pushed it away, but it came back, And what of you?” Inuyasha growled, I shall be fine. The voice sounded mocking now, No, you won't, and you know it.” Tucking it into the dreariest and darkest corner of his mind, Inuyasha pushed himself faster, rushing up the stairs to Kagome's room, where Sango, Miroku, and Shippou were still cleaning up after their rather large breakfast. Funny, how what seemed to have been years had, in reality, been only an hour.
 
He growled low, and Sango turned around, with Shippou and Miroku right behind. She gasped, dropping the plate she held with a clatter and the smash of broken glass. Inuyasha felt his anger growing, along with a feel of… sadness? Furious with himself, he placed Kagome gently on the floor, allowing himself to brush against her for a few short seconds, and then leapt out of the door and away. Sango had already rushed to Kagome's side with Shippou - who was busily wetting her shirt with his salty tears - and was carefully lifting her - and Shippou - to move to her room. Miroku, however, was soon kicked out. (He was too much of a lecher to be trusted in such a situation.) He trailed dismally into his room, where he miserably picked up his homework, hoping to work off his fear for Kagome. He was taking a Mathematics course, for who knows what reason. Or perhaps, as was wont to happen, he had not been thinking at all. He sighed, knowing that it was most likely true. Briefly, he wondered where Inuyasha was. After all, he had disappeared after dropping Kagome off.
 
Rubbing his eyes, he tried to focus on a random problem. It slid in and out of focus, and he rubbed his eyes once more, clearing it for a few seconds before it slid back out of focus. He yawned widely, knowing that he was too tired to do anything, yet was too worried to go to sleep. Frowning, he turned and switched on the computer, then paused, not knowing what to do. He usually went on a hunt for… images, but, somehow, that suddenly held no appeal. After all - Sango was probably burning herself out taking care of Kagome. She was naturally a worrier, though she didn't show it. He sighed. What kind of friend was he that he was not permitted to watch over Kagome with his (hopefully girl-) friend? He suddenly jerked erect, then stood and raced (as fast as one dying of exhaustion could) over to his door. He yanked it open and fairly leapt down the hall toward the room which Sango and Kagome shared. A purple glow seeped out of his fingers, which were laid over the knob, and the lock on the door clicked open. Sliding the door carefully open, he snuck in, and lay down on their ratty old couch. As they were college students on a very tight budget, the couch wasn't all that comfortable, but no matter. He soon drifted off into an oblivion haunted by images of beautiful women, none of whom he could have.
 
Meanwhile, in the forest, tree after tree fell to the vicious powers of an enraged hanyou. Blood dripped from minute wounds that healed seconds later, and the inu-hanyou continued savaging the trees without a single thought for the classes tomorrow would no doubt bring. His thoughts were focused, instead, upon the girl he had just carried to her room. The girl that, somehow, made him feel so happy. He didn't know why - no one else had ever managed to make him feel this way. He didn't want to feel that way. He didn't want to feel. He didn't need to feel his life was for one thing - something she could never understand. He lived for vengeance. He was not permitted to feel. He must not feel…
 
8888888888
 
Kagome opened her eyes, feeling exceedingly groggy, and tried to remember what had happened just last night. Too tired to make order of her thoughts, her eyes slid closed once more and she sank into the peaceful land of dreams, where she continued to chase after an elusive puppy. A cute puppy. One with mysterious golden eyes and curiously white fur. She ran through the tall, shaking grass and through the wildflowers generally littered across it, and chased after the dog who seemed bent on leaving her behind.
 
Yet, every time she fell, he was always just ahead, waiting for her while looking at the rising sun.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~