InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Living Weapons ❯ Shock ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Living Weapons
 
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Company; they belong to Viz and Rumiko Takahashi. This is a fictional work and any relation to events or persons, living or dead, is completely coincidental.
 
Summary: Four tools of gods - healing, destruction, wisdom, and control - are reborn on earth with no memory, but retaining their skills. At their inevitable meeting, which path will they choose?
 
Chapter summary: Inuyasha has made his choice - and he's about to get shocked! What does Kagome have to say about his decision? And how will it affect their relationship?
 
Chapter Nine: Shock
 
Inuyasha was pacing. Again. At the rate he was going, Miroku thought, he was going to wear a hole straight through the floor. In fact, he sighed, Inuyasha was probably well on his way to wearing a ditch through the rug. Miroku winced as Inuyasha stomped over to the door, opened it, and slammed it shut behind him. Sure, he had quite a bit to think about, after all, he was the one with the (literally) life-and-death decision to make.
 
The purple-eyed boy ran a hand through his hair. He had his own decision to make, but you didn't see him pacing a hole through his floor, did you? He sighed. Since the moment he saw her, he had felt… something… for the youkai exterminator. It was so different - he didn't want to make love to her, he want to…
 
Okay, he did want to make love to her. He wanted to feel her capable hands roaming over him. He wanted to feel her sweaty body against his. He wanted to feel himself inside her.
 
But even more, he wanted her to love him. He wanted her to be happy with him. He had thought that he could wait. Now, he was not sure. He wanted to touch her, to feel al of her. To hear her crooning his name, gasping it, screaming it. He wanted to her begging him to enter her. He lusted for the magenta-eyed beauty.
 
But not only that - he loved her. He needed her to love him back. And he wanted it now. Yet, if she refused him, what could he do? He had even stopped touching other women, all for her, but she didn't seem to take notice of his sacrifice.
 
He wanted so much to ask her, to beg if he must. But what if he was refused? He didn't think he could live through the pain of rejection, not from her. What could he do? He twisted in his chair to stare out of his window at the evening sky. Yes, he decided, he would do it tomorrow.
 
He was going to ask Sango out. Today. Veni, Vidi, Visi, right? I came, I saw, I conquered. He could do this. He needed to do this.
 
8888888888
 
Inuyasha stopped in front of Kagome's room, trying to compose himself. Finally, he knocked. Five seconds later - just long enough for him to start worrying - the door opened. Kagome stood inside, in sweatpants and a t-shirt, her hair up in a ponytail, “Hey, Inuyasha!” He stepped in, “Kagome, I need to talk to you.” She had but a moment to wonder at his solemn face before he pulled the purple Jewel out of his pocket. He tossed it to her, and she caught it with the very tips of her fingers. She stared at it for a moment before looking up, tears pooling in her beautiful eyes. Her hands came up to cover half her face, the Jewel still dangling from her fingers. They stood, frozen, as tears rolled down her cheeks.
 
She broke the silence with a sniffle, “I thought you'd never tell me!” It took Inuyasha half a moment to digest her words, and the other half to come up with a response. He gaped at the girl and the now-pink Jewel. Kagome smiled waveringly, “I'm a miko, remember? I've known. I've known since I touched it. I was so scared, Inuyasha. Scared that you wouldn't trust me.” Inuyasha's jaw dropped about smile, “You knew? It was a test?” Kagome nodded sheepishly, “I didn't know it was in my body, of course, but I wasn't shocked enough once that I couldn't put the pieces together once I was healed.” Kagome tossed her head, hair swinging to accentuate the movement, “Of course I recognize the great Shikon no Tama!” She lowered her nose, “I needed to know that you trust me. Now I know.”
 
Kagome tossed the Jewel up and caught it, finally looking Inuyasha in the eye as she smirked through the remnants of her tears, “This little one is safe with me.” Inuyasha seemed to finally take notice of how low his jaw had dropped. He closed it with a snap, just as Kagome smiled, “It's good that you told me so soon. Another week and I would've been mad at you, just on principle. You already had me worrying.” Unfortunately, Inuyasha had forgotten his eyes, which looked like they were about to fall out of his head with shock. Did she have to sound so absolutely perky at the thought of hating him? It was rather frightening. Kagome was the only topic he would admit that he was scared about.
 
He blinked. Kagome was waving a hand in front of his face, “Hello? Earth to Inuyasha! Inuyasha?” He swatted her hand, growling, “What, wench?” Kagome smiled, “Do you want to go out to dinner?” When Inuyasha stayed silent, she added, “I mean, just as friends, you know? Because I haven't eaten yet, have you? It's okay if you don't want to, and-”
 
Kagome was neatly cut off by Inuyasha's hand in hers, pulling her along, his grip gentle. She looked up at his face while she grabbed her pursed and jacket, nearly gasping at the red flags burning in his cheeks, “Come on,” he said gruffly, “Let's go already.”
 
Kagome smiled softly. Inuyasha, she thought, I love you. Don't you see? I love you so much. But I need you to tell me first. Can't you see, my love?
 
Inuyasha looked down at the smiling girl. Oh, Kagome, she had stayed with him, never noticing the glares the more conservative youkai threw at her when she held his hand, not noticing the sidelong glances of her fellow mikos, some of whom adhered strictly to ancient, narrow-minded guidelines. They constantly kept up a crackling purification shield day and night, shocking any youkai who dared to touch them.
 
He loved her. He had known this since, well, not since he met her, but very soon afterwards. She had this exuberant manner, a powerful aura that exuded happiness, love, and acceptance. Her acceptance itself was what caused other humans, and even youkai, to accept her. Even Kagura and Kanna, even his bastard of a half-brother, Sesshomarou, had come to a grudging acceptance.
 
And she had somehow gotten past his own walls, he thought, glimpsing her through half-closed eyes. He wanted so much to know she was his. But she deserved better - even that wolf-turd was better than he was.
 
But he just couldn't let her go. He nearly blushed at a memory. Kouga had come by for her once, hoping to ask her out for dinner. He had challenged the wolf to a fight before he had gotten close, and completely distracted him from thoughts of `his woman.' …A couple of scratches, though. He sighed, just a bit.
 
Inuyasha looked down at her again and, noticed her blush. He followed her gaze to their linked hands and blushed, quickly dropping her hand and stuffing his into his jean pockets, looking carefully away, “So, where do you want to eat?” He risked a glance at her still-pink face, and she tapped her face with a finger.
 
“I know,” she cried, pointing, “Let's have conveyor belt sushi!” Inuyasha smiled, a fang poking out of his mouth, “Sure. Let's go!” His happiness, unfortunately, reminded Kagome of someone else, and, almost unconsciously, she breathed out a word, “Shippou…” Inuyasha looked back at her, frowning, “How is that little runt?”
 
Kagome frowned, crossing her arms. “That's exactly the problem! He moved out a little while ago, and what with exams and all, I haven't had a chance to visit him.” Inuyasha glanced at her, “You're lying,” he told her flatly. She started to protest, and he held up a clawed hand, “Fine. You're not telling the whole truth.”
 
Kagome looked at him and slumped, walking into the Sushi Shack, “I'm not allowed in his dorms,” she confessed, as the waitress showed them to a table and placed menus before them, “and it's so hard to catch him around campus. This place is so big…”
 
The waitress began a seemingly well rehearsed speech, cutting politely into their conversation, “Welcome to the Sushi Shack. Have you been here before?” Distractedly, Kagome nodded. The waitress smiled, obviously happy to skip over half the introduction. “I'm Sakura, and I will be your server tonight. Will you be dining from the conveyor belt?” Kagome nodded, now staring at the belt. The waitress turned to Inuyasha, nonplussed and noted how he was staring at the oblivious girl. Damn, she thought, the fine ones are always taken.
 
Smiling at the pair, she left their table. The moment she did, Kagome began selecting dishes from the conveyor belt. “It's good that we got such nice seats. Sometimes I have to sit so far away from the chefs that there's nothing left but pudding.” She shuddered expressively, grabbing a plate of fish caviar. She carefully picked up one of them, and tossed it into her mouth. The blue-eyed beauty moaned in delight, and she took up the other piece of sushi, dipping it into her mouth.
 
Her eyes twinkled at the inu-hanyou before her. She grinned, stuffing a piece of eel into his mouth, “Come on, Inuyasha!” He ate it, eyes serious, “I'll go see Shippou tomorrow, okay? So don't worry about it.” She just smiled at him
 
I'm going soft, he thought, before grabbing a plate of sashimi. His eyes flickered to the girl before him and he smirked. At least he was having fun doing it.
 
8888888888
 
Kagome sighed and sat back in her chair, counting her plates, “…twenty, twenty-one, twenty-two!” She cheered, drawing a few glances, which she blatantly ignored. She looked over at Inuyasha, who had also finished counting. He smirked at her, “Forty-three.”
 
“Mou,” she replied, pouting. Inuyasha's smirk grew wider and he stood, beckoning their waitress, “Sixty-five,” he told her. The girl nodded, walking over to a cash register. Inuyasha followed her. Kagome, who had been grabbing her jacket and purse, didn't quite realize what he was doing.
 
She finally caught on when he came back to their table, bearing a keychain, which he handed to her, “Here, Kagome. Free with the accomplishment of eating more than fifty plates.” She glared at him, but still kept the keychain, “Come on, Inuyasha, I could have paid!”
 
He mock growled at her, “Too bad.” She growled back, surprisingly well, “I'm paying next time.”
 
He didn't reply, just grabbed her hand and walked out.