InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lonely Moons ❯ Crimson waters spill ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* * * *Lonely Moons* * * *

Dwell-Among-the-Moon

Disclaimer: Inu-Yasha and all related characters, places, events ext. are the property of Rumiko Takahashi I make no profit but the joys of writing.

Crimson waters spill

"Wake up love, your father needs your help with something." Kagome smiled sleepily as she rolled over and caught sight of her mother. Her vision was blurry, she could not make her out properly, and she panicked. "mother?" She received no answer "MOTHER!"

A sharp slap brought her back to reality as she awoke from her vivid nightmare once again. "Dammit Kagome, wake up! Your going to wake the other children!" Kagome sighed as she rubbed her freshly stung cheek, "I hate it, she gets so close, I can almost see her, and then...she's gone."

"You know as well as any of the other children that you have no parents, stop dreaming about the impossible, and get started on the possible. Like your chores."

Kagome nodded sadly and jumped from her bed, the top bunk. "Yes madam. what are they today?"

The sinister woman in front of her sighed and pulled out a clipboard "Since your up at 3:00 AM, which is a crime punishable by switching, your not to be out of bed until 6:00, You will wash the dishes at breakfast, and dinner.

Your other chores are to vacuum the dining hall, mop the kitchen and third floor bathrooms. Oh, and unless Vinny recover from his fever, you have garbage duty as well."

Kagome nodded and left for kitchen, "Might as well take out the trash before it gets to big."

"No talking! You all know the rules, if I hear a peep from any again, the whole class will get a switching!"

A yard stick pounded heavily on the mahogany desk the lay before the threatening teacher. "I expect each and every one of you to behave properly! Now get out your lessons and lesson books, and turn to page..."

"Put your trays back! There will be no dinner for tonight as you all felt it is necessary to steal food from the cafeteria, you have already had your meals. Off to study your final lessons, and if I catch any of you sleeping, you will be severely punished!"

"Stop! Stop this instant you silly, stupid little girl! You are holding the needle wrong! That's a lashing for you for not paying attention! No wonder your parents left you in the streets! Your worthless! This is how you hold the needle, and if you get it wrong again, you will pay!"

Kagome shook her head lightly as she bent over the mop, her mind drifting to all the scene in her life. The all ended the same, in dead silence, and the air thick with fear. Their head instructor, Madam Seir was the most horrid, wretched woman on the face of the earth, and she made it known.

Many times Kagome had been sitting in the library, finished early with her assignments, reading a book of educational importance and Madam Seir had caught her. Her hands hurt sorely from so many switches the next day.

She paused in her thoughts only to wring the mop and place it back on the tiled bathroom floor, "I wish I had someone to be here, someone to talk to...someone to love." She swept the mop in a large circle, carefully avoiding the large yellow, pushable, bucket that contained cleaners and dirty mop water.

Outside a church bell rang and Kagome sighed, placing the dirty mop cloth-up in the bin, she hurried out of the bathroom, her stomach growling ferociously.

She pushed the dining hall doors open and hurried into line, the last few people never got any food at all as Madam Seir closed the lines at a specific time, a second to late and you were turned away.

As she slid into line, a group of boys walked past, their conversation on love. They all looked to be about 16 or 17,and they talked of love. Kagome smiled as she thought of what the 'outside' boys would think if they heard several nearly grown boys speaking lightly about real love.

A clatter interrupted her thoughts and she turned to pick up the green tray that had been shoved on the metal to her side, her nose wrinkled as she seen what it was she was to be eating. "Spinach and Corn with lamb...disgusting."

Her mind pictured Madam Seir in her office, munching happily on French fries and a greasy burger as she cackled evilly, watching the children suffer as they were forced to eat a luxurious meal of lamb and spinach. "She does this shit on purpose, buys expensive foods that taste disgusting. Evil old hag..."

Kagome snickered as she overheard this, her hands reaching for a drink as she attempted to hide her face from the next person in line so they could not see that she had been eavesdropping.

You thought that funny did you?! Well, we'll see what Madam Seir has to say about your ungratefulness, the both of you!"

Kagome stared at the lady who was spitting her fate in her face, it was one of the overseers, more commonly known as a lunch lady.

"I didn't say nothing! Why are you accusing me of doing something wrong? I was just standing here, waiting my turn and I heard her say that, and she laughed at her own joke!"

Kagome shook her head, there was no point in her trying to defend herself, she was a known trouble-maker, no one would believe her. That was just how things happened, if you were caught, try your best to get out of it, no matter who takes the fall, don't fall yourself.

Kagome trembled slightly as she ascended the stairs to Madam Seir's off ice. Her hands twisted among themselves nervously, how could she get in trouble so early in the day? She had known better than to laugh out loud, but then again it felt good to hear someone else's opinion of the evil bitch upstairs, and agree with her own.

The overseer walked behind her, cracking jokes at her punishment, "Right one you'll get, 'magin she'll set your hands on fire so hard we'll hear your screams in the dinin' hall." Kagome shook her head and bit her tongue, 'don't say anything stupid , she's just trying to provoke you. Don't say anything stupid...'

As these thoughts raced through her head, a sharp prick exploded in the small of her back, and she knew what it was as she heard the overseer cackle in wretched delight. "Beautiful thing it is, to watch a crime be punished."

Kagome squirmed as the overseers nail pressed hard in her back, her feet moving slightly faster, as much as she hated Madam Seir, she could not stand any of the other faculty beyond her. This particular overseer had breath that could match the sewer beneath.

She breathed a sigh of relief as they approached Madam Seir's door, the overseer removed her nail from Kagome's back and knocked rapidly on the large oak laden obstacle.

A quiet but firm "Enter." answered her knock and the overseer turned and left Kagome alone in the doorway of Madam Seir's office.

Kagome drew in a deep breath and walked across the threshold. Her hands clasped behind her back, she walked to her desk and lowered her eyes to the floor.

She had been in this office so many times, she knew by now that to make Madam Seir believe that you were scared of her greatly reduced your amount of punishment.

A sigh greeted her as she waited patiently for the headmistress to speak, "W hat is it you've done this time child?" Kagome stared in wonder at the floor, hiding her amazement, Madam Seir was not up and switching her instantly!

"A boy made a joke about you in the lunch line, I laughed and the overseer working at the cash register heard me. When she threatened to send us to you the boy said the I had made the joke and he had nothing to do with it."

Madam Seir breathed lightly and motioned for Kagome to sit, "You are now known throughout this school as a prominent trouble-maker. You will excuse me if I believe any other child her over you. This time however, you will not be punished physically, but see the meaning of my strictness. Gather enough of your things to last you for a week and a half to visit your past."

Kagome, utterly clueless as to what her punishment was supposed to be, nodded and turned to leave, her shoulders hung low purposely , regardless of her slide from punishment, it was not wise to let the headmistress see her rebel and walk out of her office unaffected.

Oh and Kagome, you are not getting off of any punishment, when you return you are to complete your normal duties along with several more, including dishes with every meal and mopping all hallways and bathrooms on the lower floors.

Kagome flinched at her words, Shoot...

****Suburban town 63 miles away****

Kagome stepped off of the transportation bus, her eyes ahead at the home in front of her. Madam Seir had ordered her travel alone, and specifically to this house. Her eyes scanned the large home in front of her, it would be a very nice home of someone lived here, and provided just a tiny bit more maintenance.

A cracked and lopsided set of separated sets of stairs lay embedded in the steep hill that the house lay perched on. Rain drizzled softly on the grass and surrounding area, creating a sort of depressing, homely sight. The house itself lay in-between a set of oaks, there branches overgrown and low to the ground.

Kagome sighed and started up the steps, her eyes scanning the area for any other sign of interest then the house, she found one. A small hut like shrine partially hidden behind the house, Ivy had overgrown all about the house, it's green presence abundant through the boards, a window cracked and the plant through that as well. "Wow, I wonder how long this place had been deserted."

Her voice rang soft and clear, it's sound stopped by thunder. She advanced towards the shrine, her hands outstretched towards the overgrown door. Studying the plants shutting the door, Poison ivory...grape vines... she smiled at the variations growing about the house, they were pretty, and added a sweet ruinous look to the shrine.

Ripping apart the vines, she pushed open the creaking door and looked into the depths of the shrine. There was a small platform in the backgrounds, it's planks molded and overgrown with an assortment of mosses and the like. There was also a large well in the middle of the room, it's borders overgrown with shrubbery as well .

Approaching the well, she peered into it sheepishly , her obsidian hair swaying into her face as she looked into the depths of the old abandoned structure.

A small glint caught her eye and she noticed a crumpled twenty dollar bill, it's greenness faded, but money nonetheless.

She smiled sweetly as she studied the length from the border of the well to it's bottom, and decided she could make it, and have the strength to climb back out after acquiring her treasure. Throwing her pack into the well, she heaved her body over and dropped into the depths.

Reviews would be lovely! Next update will be soon, within the next couple of days if nothing dire happens. Love the mythic and wrap yourselves in a passion for fantasy. ~*Love always, Dwell-among-the-Moon*~