InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Lost Soul of a Lost Child ❯ Memories Lost ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Konnichiwa! A random pointless idea for a story that probably won't get too far follows, but oh well.

Disclaimer: I own nothing but the idea as of this point in time. Well, actually, I own all the other people mention except her, but their dead, so it doesn't really matter.

Enjoy…

************************************************ **********************

It was dark and cold. The moon was shrouded by the clouds, rain poured down from the heavens - scouring the landscape- and the wind nipped at her exposed flesh. She shivered, though she didn't really comprehend the cold, and pulled her tattered kimono closer to her before releasing it once more. She had come to welcome the rain as it fell, for, though it did slow her down and often brought that strange shiver, it also cleansed and soothed her wounds, of which she had many.

She had been traveling for a long time, she knew, but she didn't know how long exactly. She had no sense of time, no knowledge of days, months or years, and the cycles of the moon meant nothing when you could not see it. What importance has time to one who has nothing to prepare for, nothing to look forward to, and no awareness to the fact that the future does exist?

Finally, her obscured eyesight and the eternal trembling forced her to take shelter among the forest that stood around fifty meters to her left. The journey there, now off the path she had been following, was rather harsh, tearing open old wounds and scraping in new ones, though it did not help that she would trip over every pebble that stood in her way. Her right arm hung paralyzed at her side as she crawled across the muddy landscape. A slight sprain in her ankle caused her to limp, but she didn't notice.

Her thoughts were on her immediate destination, focused as she could get them, but often memories of her past would leak in, catching her off balance. She could tell you how many were in her family, possibly the names of her siblings, and she could let you know that not a single one of them lived, but she didn't know any more than that. She could not remember her mother's smile, or her father's scolding voice, she couldn't remember if her sister Aoko was older or younger than herself. All true memories of them had left her, even those of their demise, but she did know that they had existed, for she had stood by their bodies, surrounded by smoldering flames that had once been their home. Her mother, father, Aoko, Akako, Yuki, Tsuki, Taiyô, and her… That was when she started wondering.

She finally realized it, though to you the readers that may seem strange, after all that time, she finally noticed that she had no idea who she was. She could not recall her name, age, birthday, and, when it came down to it, she wasn't even sure whether or not she was alive. Maybe her body was lying in the ruins of her home, encircled by those of her sibling, and she was only wandering this earth as a spirit, incapable of moving on. It would certainly explain why she really couldn't feel pain, though it did feel soothing when wounds were cleansed, and perhaps the coldness as well, for it was said that when a spirit was present it would often get deathly cold.

While her thoughts were distracted, she had made it to the forest, burying herself ever deeper among the trees, some warmth returning to her nearly lifeless shell as the wind passed over and around the trees. The rain was a different matter, small drops navigated through the leaves to fall at random intervals. The trees moaned around her, seeming to talk amongst themselves, creatures not bothering to hide while under their protection. Every once in a while she would pass by a youkai, who usually paused in their goings on to stare at her curiously before continuing in their business.

She finally stopped, not really knowing why, but she sensed that she was safe. She was in a covered clearing, in the center was a large, mostly flat boulder on top of which rested a collection of youkai kittens, a half dozen in all. She limped in closer, staring at their sleeping forms and it came to mind that their mother was no where to be found, which was unusual for youkai mothers were exceedingly overprotective. As she watched them in wonderment at their abundance of life even in sleep, she came down with a sudden bout of fatigue herself. Lowering herself to lay beside the boulder, she finally rested for the first time since waking beside her parents' lifeless corpses.

*************************************************************** *********

…Aya… not quite sure where this is going, but lets all hope I finish it… unlike practically every other story I have ever had the idiocy to start. *bangs head on table* Well, we'll just have to see, right? Anyway, I'm going to get started on the next installment (I'm having fun with big words here, I can't use them anywhere else, after all, without having to hand out dictionaries)… this is deep… I'm confusing myself (not hard to do) so I'm just going to leave now and hope someone reviews…

Ja ne…

Sesshiria