InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love Handouts ❯ Prologue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blanket Disclaimer: I don't own InuYasha or any of the characters therein. They are the property of Rumiko Takahashi, and she does a beautiful job!
 
A/N: Please forgive any spelling and grammatical errors.
 
*** is the symbol for flashback, the second set indicates the end of the flashback
 
 
 
 
 
Love Handouts
 
Prologue
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
“Did you hear anything about Naraku,” InuYasha hesitantly asked the woman in front of him. She always looked so tired these days.
 
Worn.
 
Beaten.
 
“I have heard about a demonic disturbance a little to the north of here, so I wanted to stop by some villages to check it out,” she stated as she locked gazes with the hanyou in front of her.
 
He looked into her eyes deeply as they were surrounded on all sides by her glowing soul carriers. He saw sadness deep within her depths, and almost out of no where a twinkle of longing came to her eyes, before she firmly closed them, opening them back up, the emotion gone, and in its place, the same fierce look from before.
 
Shaking his head mildly, and sighing softly to himself, InuYasha stated, “What happened to us?”
 
Looking up in confusion to his statement, Kikyo, after a few moments smiled sadly, “that is for you to know, and for me to find out.” And with that she started to walk away.
 
Leaving him once more behind.
 
Leaving him contemplating exactly what she meant.
 
Leaving him thinking back, to how things used to be.
 
***
 
InuYasha was a hanyou, half-demon, half-human… living in a world where he was accepted by no one. Not the humans, even though his own mother was one. Not the demons, even though his father was the most revered of them all. He didn't have a place, so he wondered around aimlessly. Fighting for his life, and wanting nothing more, than to become a full-fledged demon.
 
This dream, however, changed course when he met a young priestess by the name of Kikyo.
 
Kikyo was kind to him like no one else ever was. She talked to him, like they were equals, and even smiled at him. And as time progressed, he began to have feelings for the miko. Feelings he never felt before, but he didn't care, finally, someone accepted him! And that was what he had wanted all along.
 
They shared a commonality. They were both lonely souls, just looking for some peace.
 
Some rest.
 
Kikyo was the guardian of the Shikon jewel, the jewel of four souls.
 
The jewel that had the power to make the weakest demon, one of the strongest the world has ever seen.
 
The jewel that had the power to take away hatred.
 
The jewel that had the power to finally make him a full-demon.
 
However, meeting Kikyo, he realized that he no longer really wanted that dream. He wanted to live out his life with her, as a human. So they decided to make a wish that would turn InuYasha human, thus purifying the jewel and releasing Kikyo from her duties as the guardian.
 
However, there was another hanyou that had other plans.
 
This hanyou, Naraku, tricked Kikyo and InuYasha into thinking that they betrayed each other. Thus making InuYasha upset, he went out to retrieve the Shikon jewel by force to become a full-demon. Kikyo also believing that she had been tricked by InuYasha took her last steps, and as the hanyou came across her line of vision, she shot an arrow right into his heart, forcing him to be forever asleep and bound to the Goshinboku, the sacred tree.
 
As her final request, Kikyo asked her younger sister, Kaede, to take the jewel and burn it with her body, so that she could carry it along with her in the afterlife. Her and InuYasha leaving this lonely world together.
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
 
Fifty years later, a young girl from a foreign land falls into a well. Being pulled down by a huge centipede, she fights for her life as she starts to run in a land that is unfamiliar to her. Pushing her way through the trees, she spots a boy locked to a tree with an arrow protruding from his chest. She slowly makes her way over to him, and she finds that he has, what appears to be, two white triangular ears on top of his head. Curious to see if they were real or not, she walks up to him, and tweaks them twice. Pretty satisfied that if they weren't real, than he paid some good money for them. She turned around when she heard the centipede once more call for the jewel.
 
The centipede rushed towards her, she pushed her back when at the last moment, the centipede lunged towards her, tearing her side open. The young girl looked up, and saw this lightly glowing purple orb falling from her body, `What is that thing.'
 
The centipede satisfied that the jewel was once more in her possession, swallows it whole. Seeing villagers near by, the young girl looks over to them, trying to see if they could help, but when she closely examined the crowd, they seemed more intent on trying to harm her, not help her.
 
She turned to go towards the boy once more when a woman calls out, “No child, do not go near him.”
 
She looked over and saw that the woman was aged, and from the clothes she was wearing, she could tell that she was the village miko. Not really understanding where she was, why everyone was dressed weird, or where that huge ugly bug came from. She started to back up slowly when she heard someone taunt, “What's the matter Kikyo, you scared?”
 
Turning around, she was surprised to see that the boy that was locked to the tree was the one that spoke. Confusion fairly evident, she started to shake her head, and unconsciously backed away from the boy on the tree.
 
“The Kikyo I knew wasn't afraid of anything,” he stated once more.
 
The young girl getting tired of his attitude snapped around, looking him pointedly in the face, “Kikyo, Kikyo, Kikyo, who is this Kikyo. My name is Kagome.” She placed her hand to her heart, as she locked eyes with the white haired boy in front of her.
 
Finally getting a good look at her, he could tell she wasn't Kikyo. She was dressed differently. She wasn't as filled out as Kikyo. Her hair wasn't as long as Kikyo. Her voice wasn't as mature as Kikyo's. And when he finally got a good sniff of her, `she doesn't smell like Kikyo.'
 
***
Laying under the stars, looking slightly to the left as Kikyo's Shinidamachu started to slither their way once more across the sky, InuYasha had to sigh. `That is when I first met Kagome.'
 
*
*
*
*
*
 
A/N: TADA!!! New story!! I want to thank the lovely girls that have been helping me with this story, lil6ter and Sovereignty, thanks guys you are the best! Hope you enjoyed! Please Review!! I really want to know what people think about this story!