InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Love 'Till the Last ❯ Love 'Till the Last ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Love 'Till the Last





Darkness surrounded the small, makeshift camp like a soothing lullaby sung by a loved one. The air was crisp, clear, calm. He relaxed against the trunk of the tree, sprawled comfortably across a rather large limb. The faraway melody of a howling wolf made the pointed ears positioned atop the boy's head to twitch in the general direction. He was content.

A full belly of ramen and no sign of any threatening demons at all. Sparing a glance down at the humans below, he wasn't surprised to find them all asleep. Kagome curled up in her sleepingbag with Shippo cradled in her arms, Sango laying face-down on the grass, Kirara coiled up on her back and Miroku's hand resting lightly on her rear. The sight actually made him smile, one of the few times he ever did so.

His gaze once again rested on Kagome's profile. He'd stared at that face countless times, but it always seemed to take his breath away whenever he saw it. The curve of her pale cheek was imprinted on his memory forever, her raven hair that was so shiny and delicious-smelling. He always wanted to drift away on her scent, to bury his face into her skin, to hold her close and never let her go. Gods, she was beautiful...and not only because she resembled Kikyo... Her soul was gorgeous.

Didn't she know what she was doing to him? Every day, her presence made him go a little bit more crazy. He never wanted it to stop. The tight feeling in his chest every time she smiled, the way her brow wrinkled with concern over the tiniest wound, the lilting sound of her laughter that made his blood thicken... He didn't know quite what this exquisite feeling was, but he wished it would go on forever. Forever? No, Kagome would not last forever. He frowned deeply, feeling hot tears prick at the backs of his eyes, making him blink rapidly to keep them at bay.

His precious Kagome would die long before he got old.

His hand reached up to furiously scrub at his eyes. Kagome would die before he could gather enough courage to tell her he loved her. The least he could do would be to give her his first kiss. He rolled off the bough and landed softly in a crouch only inches away from the dying embers of the fire. He inched closer to Kagome, transfixed. Gilded gaze travelled over her features. Leaning in, he was shocked to find her eyes were open slightly.

"Inu Yasha...?" Her voice was like a wave of relief, the tone washing over him, making his body give an involuntary shiver.

"What do you wish of me, Kagome? What can I give you?" Inu Yasha reached out a clawed hand to place gently atop hers, golden optics wide with simply talking to her. His heart was racing and it thrilled him. Her lips quivered into a small smile, but she hesitated with the answer.

"Anything Kagome...I'll give you anything...Please..." His plea sounded urgent even to his own ears which were both facing her, poking up from the unruly silver mass. She was staring at him, the chocolatey depths of her eyes shimmering. Her lips were parted slightly and he wanted very much to kiss her then and there, but he wouldn't...not without her permission.

"Inu Yasha-" She didn't get to finish her sentence for she cut herself off by sitting up and pressing her lips against his. He couldn't move for a moment, his mind was completely focussed on the gentle pressure against his mouth. Slowly, he regained his mobility and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close and responding to the kiss with complete abandon. God he loved her...but he had to breathe. Reluctantly he pulled away, staring into her eyes.

"Kagome...Tell me you love me as much as I love you..."

"Ten times more Inu Yasha." He released the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. Her response broke the dams that held the tears back, letting them flow freely down his cheeks. Inu Yasha hugged her to him, promising himself that he'd never let her go.

"Finally...we've been waiting for a long time to hear that." Inu Yasha jerked back out of instinct, whirling around to see Sango and Miroku watching them. Sango was crying from the intensity of the moment and Miroku was grinning. A deep crimson flush crossed Inu Yasha's face, feeling like a fool at having been caught...wait...what does he care about getting caught kissing his Kagome in front of his friends? He smirked impishly and swept her into another soul-soaring kiss before leaping up into his tree, leaving her dazed and barely able to remember how to breathe.

With a short chuckle he shot back at Miroku from the safety of the branches.

"Now it's your turn, Lover-boy" He was quite satisfied to see Miroku blush, then surprised to see him shrug and sweep Sango into a kiss much as Inu Yasha had done to Kagome minutes before. She didn't retaliate in any way...unless you count wrapping her arms around him harmful to his health. If they felt what he felt with Kagome, then Miroku would certainly be in heaven. Inu Yasha turned his attention to the stars and pictured his girl in his mind before murmuring a thank you to the moon who was certainly on his side tonight, and he couldn't be more pleased about it.