InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Making Things Right ❯ Resolution ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
(**) a dream/vision
(~~) a note/letter
(*****) a scene/time change
________________________________________________________________ _____


InuYasha was perched on the roof of the building across the street from where they suspected Kagome was being held. He had been there ever since his meeting the previous day with Hikyuu. Sesshomaru had called him once to tell him the time and place where he would be meeting Kousotsu for their fight, and since then, he had been alone with nothing to do but watch, wait and think.

The first thing he had decided to do was quit dwelling on his failure when it came to protecting Kagome. He would think about that after he had her safely back in his arms. Instead, he focused on forming a plan to rescue her and defeat Kousotsu.

With his plan worked out in his head, his thoughts turned to Kagome. His connection to her would have told him if she was afraid or in danger, but it did nothing to put him at ease, since that could change in an instant. He was anxious for evening to fall. It was taking all his restraint not to go after her, and to wait, so that they would finally have their chance to face their enemy directly.

He wished that Kagome would try again to reach out to him with her power. In a way, he envied Hikyuu for having felt her energy around him the day before.

*****

Kagome hadn't seen Kousotsu since the evening prior.

She nibbled at one of the rice balls left on her plate, but she was really craving some oden and had been since she woke up that morning, along with having a slightly tender feeling in her breasts. Thinking about that brought a smile to her face. Kagome was still having a hard time believing that she was going to have a baby, but it was a happy thought none the less.

She and InuYasha would have to have a long talk once they were together again. Kagome sighed. Maybe I should see if I can reach him. I know he's looking for me. She closed her eyes and concentrated, almost pulling her powers back at the shock of having found him. He's so close... I guess Hikyuu did understand.

*****

InuYasha nearly cried out in relief when he felt the warmth of Kagome's aura wash over him. It faltered for a second and then returned stronger. He could feel her so close to him and he knew now for sure that he was looking in the right place.

InuYasha could feel from her that she was both overjoyed and relieved to be able to reach him, and in return, he tried to convey the same feelings with his youki.

When she left him suddenly it felt as though he had been doused with cold water. It bothered him that she had broken their connection so abruptly. Damn it I don't want to wait any longer. She's so close. I hate this...Just a little bit longer.

*****

"Well, you should be pleased to know the dogs value your life enough to face me," Kousotsu said as he entered the room.

Kagome opened her eyes quickly, disappointed to be unable to continue to reach out to InuYasha, but knowing that she couldn't risk Kousotsu wondering what she was doing.

"Hours from now, the world as you know it is going to change," he told her. "When I am the Youkai no Taisho, humans will be forced to bow to the will of my kind or be killed. No longer will we have to hide what we are."

"Why are you doing this?" Kagome asked. "Youkai and humans have lived together in peace for centuries. I'm sorry you were hurt, but this won't change what was done to you."

"But it will change everything else," Kousotsu shouted.

He was silent for a moment and Kagome could see that he was trying to calm himself.

"You won't see me again unless your mate and his brother have done exactly as I asked. I have learned from various sources that you have sought to help youkai, and because of this, I promise you that should it be necessary, your death will be quick and painless," Kousotsu said. "I hope it does not come to that."

Kagome watched him leave the room.

*****

InuYasha kept his eyes on the building until he finally glimpsed a ball of energy fly out one of the windows on the upper floors. He was almost certain that it was Kousotsu, but he wished that he had some way to know for sure. Come on Kagome. If that was him, give me some sort of sign. Let me know it's time.

A few moments later he felt her. There was a sense of urgency in her aura and he knew she was waiting for him. InuYasha jumped down from the roof and walked out from between the buildings. He crossed the street and headed straight to Hikyuu's second floor apartment.

InuYasha's insistent knock was answered almost at once, and Hikyuu invited him inside.

"What's the plan?" the young Inu youkai asked.

"You're going to help me then?" InuYasha questioned.

Hikyuu nodded. "It's my duty," he replied. "But I also want to help."

"Then here's what we do. You go up to the first apartment on the eighth floor and knock. Check things out," InuYasha explained. "The cocky bastard probably doesn't have her guarded very well since he thinks we have no way of finding her. You're a poison youkai right?"

"Yes," Hikyuu replied.

"Good. Knock out whoever answers the door and then call down to me and I'll come up. We go in together and get Kagome out of there," InuYasha said. "Then you call Sesshomaru and he'll have someone come for whoever we run into in the apartment. Are you ready?"

Hikyuu nodded once. "Let's go."


Hikyuu knocked on the apartment door and waited. The door opened and a female youkai stared at him waiting for him to speak. He didn't smell a trace of Kagome or of any youkai for that matter, but he knew there were ways to block scents.

In a flash, he sank his claws into the sides of the female youkai's neck and injected her with enough poison to leave her unconscious for several hours at the very least, depending on the strength of her youki, and she fell to the floor.

"InuYasha-sama," Hikyuu called quietly, knowing the hanyou would hear him without him having to raise his voice.

InuYasha leapt up, two floors at a time, and landed beside Hikyuu.

"I think she was the only one here," Hikyuu explained, "but I can't be sure since something is masking all the scents in the apartment."

InuYasha gave a brief nod and the two stepped inside together. They were standing in the living room and to the left was the kitchen. The right end of the apartment had two doors and the left end had three.

"You take the left," InuYasha ordered.

The first door Hikyuu opened was a linen closet and the second a bathroom. He hoped that they were in the right place. Hikyuu opened the final door and found a small bedroom. The familiar young woman looked up at him and broke into a radiant smile.

"Hikyuu," she said softly.


Kagome let her eyes drift past the young inu youkai to the figure currently heading across the living room, and InuYasha stopped when he saw her. She jumped to her feet and ran past Hikyuu into the open arms of her mate.

"InuYasha, I knew you'd come," she whispered into his chest.

InuYasha stepped out of her embrace. His ears flattened against his head and his eyes downcast.

"I'll just go call Sesshomaru-sama," Hikyuu announced, making a hasty exit.

Kagome was surprised when InuYasha uttered a soft whine. "What's wrong?"

"I failed you, Kagome," InuYasha replied. "You needed me to protect you and I fell for a stupid trick. I could have lost you. I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I promise I won't fail you again."

Kagome wrapped her arms around him once again. "There is nothing to forgive. You're here now."

InuYasha embraced her and held her tightly. "I wish we could stay like this, but now I have to go help Sesshomaru."

"I'm going with you," Kagome said, taking hold of the rosary Kousotsu had placed on her, "but I need you to see if you can get this off me first."

"I don't suppose I am going to be able to convince you to wait at home, am I?" InuYasha asked.

"Not a chance," Kagome replied.

InuYasha sighed and grabbed a hold of the beads. He tugged sharply and they broke, falling all over the floor. "All right, koibito, let's go put an end to this."

*****

The sky took on a deep orange hue as the sun fell below the trees. Sesshomaru stood alone in a large open area, in a secluded section of forest. At the tree line stood Kagura, and on either side of her stood Miroku and Sango. A short distance away waited the leaders of all the major youkai clans, including the neko youkai, as well as the horse and bat youkai. Even the wolf youkai had sent a representative.

Sesshomaru watched wearing his usual stoic mask as a youkai materialized out of his energy form several meters away.

"I am pleased that you have at least followed my instructions thus far," Kousotsu said. "The miko is quite extraordinary for a human and I don't really wish to order her killed."

"This Sesshomaru came here to fight, not to talk," Sesshomaru replied. "I offer you one final chance to surrender to me"

"Not going to happen, oh Great Dog Lord," Kousotsu taunted.

"You will pay for your insolence," the taiyoukai said as his energy whip formed.

Sesshomaru aimed the green whip made from his youki at his opponent, and with a flick of his wrist, sent it flying in his direction. His aim was true, but the light of his youki simply passed through the youkai in front of him, dispelling the illusion.

"So, you would hide behind your magic tricks, instead of facing me," Sesshomaru called. "I should have expected as much from one who would resort to blackmail. You are but a coward."

"Coward, am I?" Kousotsu asked, and he unleashed blades of wind at Sesshomaru's back.

The Inu no Taisho jumped clear of the attack and then changed direction to press an attack of his own, poison claws glowing green as he swiped at his enemy.

"Rumors of your speed were not exaggerated," Kousotsu said as he used his the natural agility of his kind to avoid Sesshomaru, "but you will need to be more than quick if you hope to defeat me."

*****

InuYasha had the gas pedal floored as he drove away from the bright lights of the city. He glanced at Kagome who looked as anxious as he felt. He knew she was worried about what could happen to Sesshomaru and to everyone else if Kousotsu were to win. InuYasha on the other hand couldn't wait to get his claws on the bastard that had taken her from him.

"InuYasha, I want you to promise me something," Kagome said quietly. "Promise me that you won't kill Kousotsu unless you have no other choice."

"What?" InuYasha asked. "Are you crazy, Kagome? That bastard kidnapped and threatened to kill you. He's also been to blame for a lot of innocent people being killed, or did you forget about your grandfather?"

"Of course I didn't forget," Kagome snapped. "How could you even ask that?"

InuYasha reached across the car and took her hand. "Listen Kagome, I'm sorry. I just don't understand why you would care about him after all he's done."

Kagome sighed heavily. "I know it must seem strange to you, but I've felt what they did to him. I saw the little boy he was before they turned him into what he is now. He's what he was made to be."

"You act like he didn't have a choice," InuYasha reasoned. "Did he try to help any of the other youkai get out of that place? No. He only cared about getting revenge for himself. What was done to him was a crime, but that doesn't make what he's doing now all right. He chose to let them win, to become what they wanted him to be."


Kagome heard much more in his words that what was said. InuYasha had chosen not to be the monster that humans had claimed him to be. He had closed himself off, but had never allowed himself to seek revenge for those who had treated him with immeasurable cruelty.

"I'm not saying that he shouldn't be punished for everything that he has done, but I know that deep down he isn't all bad," Kagome explained. "You've done things that you aren't proud of, that you would have given anything to take back. We all have. What makes him less worthy of a second chance than you, than any of us?


InuYasha knew that she was thinking of the time he had slaughtered those bandits as they begged for their lives. While it was true that he hadn't been himself at the time, it had still been his claws that were covered in blood. His youki had been too strong for his hanyou body and his human heart to control.

Kousotsu had five times the youki he was born with. It was sure to have altered his mind as his body struggled to control powers that were not his own.

"All right, koibito," InuYasha said at last. "I promise that I won't kill Kousotsu unless I have no other choice, but I can't guarantee that Sesshomaru won't kill him."

*****

Kousotsu was turning out to be a formidable foe. Sesshomaru had started out simply trying to give InuYasha the time he needed to rescue his mate. Now, however, he was fighting for real and still unable to take down his enemy. As much as he hated to admit it, he would likely need InuYasha to join him in the fight.

Youkai laws forbid the use of weapons when a challenge for power had been issued, and because of this, Kousotsu was at an advantage having so much youki under his control.


There was a break in the fighting when InuYasha arrived. Kousotsu stepped back, at first seeing only the inu hanyou. "You've finally arrived," Kousotsu said. "Will you chose to join me in defeating your brother, or will you let your mate die?"

"Keh, neither, asshole," InuYasha growled. "I'm going to kick your ass and then go home with my mate."

Kousotsu's eyes drifted over to where the dog lord's mate was standing, and was furious to find the miko was there with her, both heavily guarded. Growling in a feral manner, baring his elongated fangs, he felt himself losing control of his rage and cracked his knuckles, claws itching to feel flesh sunder under their force. To smell blood permeate the air and bathe his tongue. But he wouldn’t succumb to that primal urge quite yet. Youki based attacks had more of an advantage over simply slashing and biting an opponent. He needed to keep his facilities about him and use ranged attacks for now.

"Now what, bastard?" InuYasha taunted. "You want to give up?"

Kousotsu felt his blood rage consume him and he partially gave himself over to it, welcoming the rush of power that filled him completely, before savagely releasing it. His youki exploded
in all directions, and both InuYasha and Sesshomaru were blown back in the blast. In its wake came a strange mist, both thick and heavy, as it settled over the area.


InuYasha rose in a crouched position, and somewhere nearby, he heard Sesshomaru do the same. He couldn't see more than a foot in front of his face and the only thing he could smell was Kousotsu. His body was tense and his ears swiveled about his head searching for any sound that could aid him since his other senses had been rendered useless by what he suspected was part of an illusion created by Kousotsu. Behind him, just before he felt someone's back press up against his own, he heard a soft growl that he recognized as belonging to Sesshomaru.

Sesshomaru made a soft almost inaudible sound in the back of his throat. It wasn't a growl and it certainly wasn't a bark, but it did convey a meaning, a means of communication not likely to be understood by their enemy. InuYasha heard the voice of his youkai blood. Mates. He realized that Sesshomaru was trying to tell him that one of them needed to go make sure Kagura and Kagome hadn't been injured.

That however became unnecessary as Kagome's voice rang out. "Miroku, I swear if you don't let me out of the barrier right now you won't live to marry Sango."

"I'm sorry, but my first duty it to protect you and Lady Kagura," Miroku replied. "It is worth more than my life should I let either of you come to harm."

InuYasha could hear Kagome's exasperated sigh. "Sango..."

"He's right, Kagome," Sango offered. "I'm sure they're both fine. InuYasha and Sesshomaru have both faced smarter and stronger opponents than this and survived."

Then Kagura's smooth voice cut through the air. "Remember your connection. You would feel it if he was no longer with you."

"I... I just wish I could do something," Kagome said softly.

Suddenly the air seemed to thin a bit and a shadowy shape materialized. InuYasha charged forward and leapt high in the air, bringing down his claws in a sweeping arc. "Sankontessou!"

The attack went right through Kousotsu and into the ground, and InuYasha landed in a crouched position. "Damn illusion," he growled, driving his fist into the dirt.

InuYasha came to his feet and heard the soft, whistling sound of claws cutting air, heading right for him. He sprang backwards in time to avoid a killing blow, but he ended up with four deep gashes across his chest. Damn it, that was too close.

A few feet away he heard the rustle of clothing, and without warning a green light headed straight for his head. He ducked as Sesshomaru's energy whip threatened to decapitate him, and only when he heard a sharp hiss behind him did he realize that Kousotsu had been about to attack him from behind. “What the fuck? You almost got me, you stupid fucking bastard!”

"Have you forgotten never to let your guard down, little brother?" Sesshomaru asked, obviously not concerned about the near miss.

“Asshole,” InuYasha growled, shooting his half-brother a withering glare.

As Sesshomaru came to stand beside him, InuYasha noticed that he was not the only one bleeding. Blood was dripping from Sesshomaru's left shoulder.


Kagome waited impatiently, watching for even the smallest sign of InuYasha or Sesshomaru. She glanced at Kagura to see her clasping her hands in front of her in a clear gesture of nervousness that she had never before see the wind sorceress exhibit. She wondered if Kagura knew something she didn't, but was afraid to ask, not only because she wasn't sure she wanted to know the answer, but also because if something was wrong talking about it might give something away to Kousotsu.


InuYasha felt a deep sense of foreboding. All his instincts were telling him that Kousotsu was about to strike, even is his senses were not. He gave Sesshomaru a hard shove and dove to the ground, just in time for a blast of fire to pass over him, singeing his hair.

"Coward!" InuYasha yelled. "Damn it, show yourself."

"To what purpose, hanyou?" Kousotsu taunted. "You are no match for me."

InuYasha growled the voice seemed to come from all around him. In a breath, a fist connected with his the side of his head sending him flying through the air. He got up slowing shaking his head. InuYasha blinked several times as his eyes watered from the force of the impact.

Kousotsu was relentless, attacking both brothers time again, and never from the same direction. They were able to use their hearing to avoid the full force of the assault, but were still becoming weaker with each blow. Every new wound allowed more blood to flow from them, staining the earth. Both knew that something to turn the tide would have to happen soon, or else they were going to lose.

InuYasha knew that if they could just see Kousotsu to attack him then they could defeat him. As another glancing blow split open his shoulder, followed by a second that made him wonder if Kousotsu had severed his left ear, InuYasha knew he was going to have to have help. With a growl of frustration he stopped shielding Kagome from his emotions.


Kagome felt like someone had just walked over her grave as a chill traveled up her spine. Kagura looked pointedly at her. They're in real trouble. InuYasha is hurt bad. I can feel it, and Sesshomaru must be too. I have to do something.

"Give me your staff," Kagome demanded.

"I told you before, I cannot," Miroku replied.

"Miroku, I am ordering you to give me your staff," Kagome said.

"I'm sorry," Miroku told her, "but I don't take my orders from you."

"Monk, give her your staff at once," Kagura commanded.

"But-" Miroku started.

"What were my mate's instructions?" Kagura interrupted.

"To protect you and Kagome and to follow your commands in his absence," Miroku replied with a heavy sigh.

"Then do as I have ordered," she said.

The barrier fell as Miroku placed his holy staff in Kagome's hands. She closed her eyes. Please if anyone is listening, let this work. Jii-chan, Daddy, I need your help on this one. I don't know what I'm doing, but I have to do something. I can't lose him again.

Miroku watched as Kagome drew her arm back, holding his staff out parallel to the ground, her hand just behind her shoulder.

"Please work," she whispered and threw his staff like a javelin.

It glowed with the energy of her spiritual powers and cut a path through the mist. The impromptu spear landed in the ground, and the pink light spread, engulfing the entire area, and as quickly as it had come, the mist was gone.

Kagome gasped at what she saw. InuYasha was on his knees, covered in blood. Sesshomaru, while standing, didn't look to be in much better shape. Amber eyes met hers and she could read his thanks in them.


InuYasha stood and barely had time to jump out of the way as blades of wind were fired at him. Across form him, he saw Sesshomaru dodge an attack of fire. Damn, he has a lot of power. How can he use two different youki attacks at once?

InuYasha swayed slightly as he coated his claws in his blood. "Hijinkessou!" he cried, sending his blades of blood at Kousotsu, who dodged the attack easily. Shit. He's too fast. Even faster than Sesshomaru.

"I've toyed with you both long enough," Kousotsu announced. "I am disappointed that the two of you didn't pose more of a challenge. Pity."

InuYasha was unable to move briefly as Kousotsu used his youki to capture his legs in ice. He broke free just in time to be struck in the chest with an electric attack.


Kagome screamed as InuYasha was thrown back and hit the ground hard, convulsing. She ran, ignoring Miroku and Sango as they tried to call her back. She was so intent on getting to InuYasha that she didn't notice when Kousotsu threw a wind attack at her.

Sesshomaru was forced to take the attack himself, to protect her, a mist of corrosive blood spraying the ground and hitting the lower portion of Kagome’s left leg as he was knocked into the trees.

Kagome, ignoring the pain as the acidic droplets began eating away the pant leg and slowly biting into her skin, kneeled beside InuYasha, and was relieved to find that he was still alive.

"Foolish woman," Kousotsu growled from behind her. "Move and I will allow you to live. I am losing my patience, so act quickly. Defy me and-"

Kagome came to her feet between InuYasha and Kousotsu, interrupting him. "I won't let you hurt him."

She glanced behind her as InuYasha started to groan. When she looked back in Kousotsu’s direction, claws were coming at her, and she threw up her hands to ward off the blow.

“You stupid bitch! I warned you!” Kousotsu snarled, but was suddenly held immobile, surrounded by a soft pink light. He struggled to break free, hissing and growling, his youki and blood rage rising further, dangerously so, hinting that he was trying to break free and use his true form. Lengthening jaws snapping at her, his body began to shudder and stretch as his shape grew, attempting to shift more into that of a panther, but it was no use; Kagome had him held too tightly in her power, halting and reversing the transformation.

She was unaware as InuYasha rose behind her.

Kousotsu screamed in agony as Kagome pulled his youki free from his body, so that it surrounded him in a circle of five tightly coiled colored bands of light. A single red strand remained joined with his body, indicating that it was his natural youki.

All gathered watched in awe as she reached out with spiritual hands and grabbed the white stand of youki. Sweat fell from her brow as her power spread along the band and purified it. She took hold of the blue rope of energy next and purified it as well. As she did so his claws shortened and his hair became solid black.

Halfway there. Kagome clenched her teeth and fought against the weakness that threaten to take her from her feet. You can do this.

She moved on to the pink youki surrounding Kousotsu, and as it dissipated, his eyes returned to their normal color. Kagome swayed on her feet and was surprised when a strong pair of arms wrapped around her. She could feel InuYasha behind her, offering her his strength so that she could finish what she had started. Kagome leaned heavily against him.

Finally, she grasped the silver strand and let her energy flow along it until it, too, was completely purified. With the last if her strength, she returned Kousotsu's true youki to his body and released him, letting him fall to the ground.

InuYasha lowered Kagome gently to the earth and held her upper body against him. He wiped the damp hair from her face and the sweat from her brow. Her breathing was shallow and her pulse lethargic, but she was alive.

Behind him Sesshomaru was standing over Kousotsu who was on his knees staring at his hands. "How? What did she do to me? I'm as I was before..."

"Kagome used her spiritual powers to help you even after what you did to her," InuYasha growled. "Know this: if she hadn't made me promise not to kill your sorry ass, you'd be dead by now."

"Since it was her wish, I too will allow you to live," Sesshomaru interjected. "Though you will be held accountable for your actions."

*****

InuYasha hadn't left Kagome's side for longer than a minute for two days, worried about her and their pup. He knew that it couldn't be good for either of them that she had exhausted herself so fully twice in less than a week's time. The burns on her leg from Sesshomaru’s blood weren’t too bad, but they would most likely leave faint scars behind. Thankfully, that was the only injury she had, and Kagome didn’t mind the battle wound too much. The fight’s outcome could have been much worse… for all of them. It was a small price to pay.

Sesshomaru had called in Kagura's doctor to examine Kagome and check the pup, and he had advised against giving her anything to restore her energy. The doctor informed him that it was much better to let her recover naturally. He left InuYasha with a bottle of prenatal vitamins designed specifically for human women having part youkai babies and the assurance that Kagome and their child would be fine in a couple of days.

InuYasha was jerked out of a restless sleep by Kagome's soft moan. He could see her reaching for him in the dark and he caught her hand, pulling it to his chest.

"I'm here, koibito," he said softly, drawing her close and wrapping his arms around her. "I was worried about you, wench."

"What happened?" she asked.

"After you purified all the extra youkai around Kousotsu, he was taken into custody by the Youkai Enforcement Agency," InuYasha told her. "While you were sleeping a doctor came and checked both you and the pup. He said you're both fine."

"I'm glad, and I'm glad it's finally over," Kagome said quietly.

InuYasha could see her yawn in the dark. "Go back to sleep, koibito. We'll talk more in the morning."

Kagome made no reply other than to snuggle more deeply into his chest, and in less than a minute she was sleeping once again.