InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ The plot thickens ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================



Chap ter 23 – The plot thickens



As autumn turned into winter, Kagome spent more and more time studying indoors, rather than stretched out on the ground near the Goshinboku. With the close proximity of their hut, the giant god-tree was practically in her backyard, and she smirked, when she realized that the grounds which the villagers had given Inuyasha to build upon were nearly in the exact same spot as her mother’s home in the future. Still, the chilling temperatures seeping up through the earth, indicating the sun’s current inability to warm the ground as thoroughly as during the summer, had rendered her favorite pastime temporarily off-limits.

Looking up from her desk, one of the many “modern” furnishings they’d acquired, she turned to gaze at the weary figure behind her. Never saying a word, or making any noise for that matter, he remained perfectly still, aside from a few unconscious flickers of his ears.

“You don’t have to stay in here, ya know, if you wanted to go outside for some fresh-”

“Just get back to your studying.” he interrupted, his voice neutral.

Yeah right, like I can concentrate with your eyes boring through the back of my skull.

Sighing, she pushed her chair back, and standing up, said “Maybe I could study outside for a while.”

“It’s too cold for you.” was his answer, his voice softening a bit to show his genuine concern.

“Baka,” she teased, “I’m not a ‘weak human’ any more, ya know.”

“Keh.”

Closing her book, and scooting her chair back into place, she moved across the small bedchamber to where her mate sat, Indian style, upon their bed. Though they hadn’t been able to bring a real mattress through the well, simply because one wouldn’t fit, they had constructed a wood framed western style bed, that rested rather low to the ground, but high enough so that the chill couldn’t seep through, and they could store things underneath. The mattress was comprised of several futon pads, topped by a layer of soft foam that they’d managed to roll up so that they could get it through the time slip. Making it roughly the size of a ‘double’ according to Kagome’s measurements, she was able to supply them with sheets and blankets rather effortlessly.

“What?” her mate asked her, as she stole a glance at him from the sides of her eyes.

“Nothing,” she answered. “I’m done studying, is all.” Leaning forward, she took the Tetsusaiga from where it rested upon his shoulder, and tossed it gently to the wooden floor below.

At first, one would believe he appeared rather uncooperative, considering he continued to remain perfectly still, arms tucked into the sleeves of his suikan, making no attempt to reach for the woman sitting beside him. That assumption would be in error, though, as in recent weeks he’d discovered an innocent little pleasure of hers that he readily shared. Scooting herself over so that she sat directly in front of him, she reached forward, and with a light, delicate touch, reached her right hand into the baggy left sleeve of his suikan, until she found where his right hand was calmly resting upon his left arm, just before the elbow. He released his grip of himself them, pulling his left arm out and away from his right sleeve, to give her better access, as she reached higher, gently stroking the muscles she so wished he wouldn’t keep hidden.

As she moved with her left hand, crawling it up his right arm within his baggy sleeve, a soft chuckle escaped his lips, as he murmured “If these clothes are in the way, I can remove them for you.” Her answer… “Please.”

````````````````````

Deep in the pit of destruction that was once Mt. Hakurei, an eerie figure clad in a baboon pelt stood atop a small cliff face. Suddenly, previously discarded patches of flesh that rested below began to churn and bubble. A maddening cackle echoed throughout the chamber.

```````````````````

The next morning, Kagome had again taken up studying, as she had an upcoming test that would require she travel through the well for a day. Inuyasha was more than compliant to allow her to return. One, he was more considerate of her happiness now that they were mates and he understood the sacrifice she was making by spending nearly every waking hour with him in his world. Two, they were nearly out of ramen.

Making himself as useful as possible, while his mate’s nose was buried in her schoolbooks, he decided to take Shippo out for another hunting lesson.

“Okay pup, this time we’re after rabbits. Think you can handle that?” he asked with a smirk. Shippo had turned into quite an expert fisher-fox, but rabbits were a whole other animal.

“Keh.” a small voice had replied.

Grinning stupidly, the inu-hanyou bent down and commented “They’re fast.”

“I’m faster.” was the kit’s reply.

The hunt was a relatively successful one, eventually. The first couple of rabbits had managed to get away from the fox kit, but Inuyasha only smirked at his determination. He reminded him of himself, when he was out on his one, no older than Shippo was now. When the choices were either catch something or die, one learns how to hunt rather quickly. Fortunately, Shippo would never have to worry about such a fate, and it was all thanks to Kagome, he realized, when he reflected on how she’d insisted the brat accompany them, back when they’d first crossed paths.

“Look!” he shouted enthusiastically, while running towards where the hanyou lounged, while keeping relative alertness, “I did it!” Shippo came up to his guardian, holding up the dangling corpse of a rabbit.

“I did it Otou-----I mean…Inuyasha.” he finished in a whisper, lowering his head in fear and embarrassment at his slip of the tongue.

Standing up and walking towards him, Inuyasha inspected the kill. “Nice job pup.” he commented, then as they turned back to head towards the hut, the hanyou spoke again, “It’s okay.”

“Nani?”

“It’s okay…” he muttered again. Pausing in his tracks, he looked down at the apprehensive kitsune that stood by his side. “You can call me father.”

`````````````````````

What was once a mass of vile, pulsating flesh, now lied motionless, huddled together in the relative shape of a man. One wouldn’t be certain what to call such a blank slate. It wasn’t a ‘he’ or a ‘she’ and had no noticeable odor or youki. The humanoid shape consisted of nearly perfectly formed limbs, but the fingers and toes were smoothed and lacked definition, giving off the resemblance to what a wax figure may look like if it were slightly melted. Though the head was definitely head shaped, indicating where the jaw line was set, the shape of the cheekbones and what passed for a nose was, there was no mouth, eyes, ears, or hair. It was like what one might expect a ‘blank’ for cloning to look like in some futuristic sci-fi film.

As the man clad in the baboon pelt approached his newest creation, the being began to move, and soon, was sitting up somewhat, eerily looking in its creator’s direction, though one wouldn’t believe it could truly see. As soon as the dark hanyou pulled back his hood to reveal his human-like features, the generic mass before him began to shift, until it, too, resembled the man.

“Well done Gensou.”

“Who are you?”

“I am your master.”

````````````````````````

Later that evening, as the small makeshift family was having dinner, Kagome couldn’t help but notice that both her mate, and adopted son, seemed more on edge than usual.

“What’s wrong?” she finally asked.

“I don’t know,” Inuyasha replied, “Something just doesn’t feel right.”

“Don’t you feel that Okaa-san?” Shippo asked.

She smiled down at the youth, both surprised and delighted to hear him calling her ‘mother’. “Sweetie,” she answered, “My youkai senses aren’t as strong as yours.”

“Try reaching out with your miko powers, then.” her mate suggested.

Doing as instructed, she closed her eyes, and focused on the world around her. A sudden, underlining sensation of wrong caused her to shudder.

Opening her eyes to gaze into the two worried ones who greeted her, she gulped, and uttered a single word

“Naraku.”