InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mating Season ❯ Brothers ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Blanket Disclaimer:

Inuyasha, and the characters therein, are the property of Rumiko Takahashi. I am in no way affiliated with Takahashi, or VIZ Productions.


========================




Chapter 29 - Brothers



“Kohaku…” Miroku whispered in astonishment, having believed, the same as Sango, that her brother had surely fallen, if Naraku had removed his shard.

Inuyasha heard his friend’s whisper, but he’d also recognized that weapon, so glancing up now was more a means of confirmation than anything else. He too was confused, but had the more pressing issue of taking care of Kagome in the forefront of his mind.

Sango finally found her voice, and not trusting her eyes, considering everything that had recently happened, she asked “Kohaku?” in a shaky, uncertain tone.

“Hai, Ane-ue, it’s me.”

“Kohaku!” she bellowed joyously, as she fumbled to her feet and rushed towards her little brother.

“Sister!” he cried in return, dropping his weapon where he stood, and taking off in her direction as well. Meeting in the middle, Kohaku permitted his sister to wrap her arms around him, as tears of joy streamed down her face.

“I thought…I thought…” She couldn’t finish, but he understood her thoughts all too well.

“Hai Ane-ue, I did die.” he confirmed.

Pulling back enough to look him in the eyes, she could clearly see the sorrow his still bore, telling her that he had retained his memories. But that wasn’t the question on her lips in that moment. “How…?” she started to ask, pausing when a proud figure in white made his way into the clearing.

“Sesshoumaru…” she whispered in awe.

That time, Inuyasha did look up, his expression one of shock, as he’d been so absorbed with the barely conscious Kagome in his arms, that he hadn’t detected his brother’s scent. That wasn’t exactly how he favored greeting his older brother, as he sat upon the forest floor, his arms wrapped securely around his slowly recovering mate, the tracks of a few rouge tears left on his cheeks from when they’d managed to escape his eyes, when he’d first worried that she’d overexerted herself too greatly.

The brothers locked eyes, Sesshoumaru’s expression as unreadable as ever, but fortunately, as far as Inuyasha was concerned, the Taiyoukai’s attention was drawn elsewhere, when he heard the Houshi speak next.

“Sesshoumaru-sama…” he began, showing the respect he knew the youkai Lord deserved, were his assumptions correct. “Do we have you to thank for Kohaku’s revival?” he asked.

“I do nothing for your thanks.” was his stoic response, which more or less danced around the fact that he had, in fact, revived the boy.

“Why?” Sango asked, looking up from her brother momentarily, tears falling freely, though the Western Lord could tell from her scent that they were tears of joy, relief, and gratitude.

“My business is not your concern.” he answered

***Flashback***

He had been out scouting the lands, following the scent of Naraku, when he suddenly came upon the fallen form of the boy who had tried to kill Rin. No, that was not accurate. The boy had been controlled by Naraku, and in fact, if he were to place such an action directly upon the boy himself, it would be that he had tried not to kill Rin. He had been resisting the power Naraku had held over him. He’d known at that time that the boy was on the border of life and death, his body having unhealed injuries that should have ceased his life, his continued animation the result of the shard in his back. He was not a walking dead, like that miko he had met in the past, it was more as if he had been held suspended, at the very moment of death, not permitted to complete the act. The boy was aware of that fact as well, that he could tell when he gazed into his eyes, eyes that had held such agony. Never before had he seen so much pain held within a single being. He was pleading with the Taiyoukai to kill him, and that was why he had not. If he believed himself, he would be amazed. The truth was, Rin did not wish the boy dead, and that was why he had spared him. Now, looking upon his deceased form, a bizarre expression of satisfaction on his face, the first thought he found coming to him was that he was grateful Rin was not currently with him. It was obvious this boy’s death was the will of Naraku, both the first time he had died, as well as now. It was also obvious that the shard that had sustained him had been taken by Naraku himself, if his nose did not deceive him, which it did not. It was Naraku’s desire that the boy be dead, it was his Rin’s desire that the boy remain alive. He silently waved his hand an inch above Tenseiga’s hilt, to find that the sword pulsed in response. So, it was Tenseiga’s will that the boy live, as well. In truth, the fact that Naraku wished him dead was already enough to make his decision. Drawing his sword, he observed as the imps of the netherworld prepared to receive the boy’s soul. Slicing them effortlessly, he sheathed his sword, and waited.

Kohaku had been walking, minding his own business, when Kagura came to him with a warning. Naraku was stirring up some trouble for the inu gang, and had sent her to collect the shards from the ookami prince. Her warning was simple, stay alive. If Naraku was after Kouga’s shards, then he had obviously decided to complete the jewel. He had every other shard already in his possession, minus the ones Kagome had, the two Kouga had, and the one he, himself had. The one that sustained him. Kagura had left him with the message to be prepared, but even still, he found he was powerless against his master. Naraku was well aware of the fact that Kohaku had regained his memories, but had left him be for the time being, because he also knew he could collect his shard at any time he pleased. He pleased to do so then. Kohaku had been walking, when he suddenly felt a horrible pain coming from the shard, and an eerie voice echoing through this head.

“Kohaku, you shall be rewarded for your loyalty, I shall release you.”

He cried, and tried to run, but found his body could not obey his commands. Instead of controlling his mind, Naraku had instead taken control of his limbs. Kohaku stood there motionless, as he saw his master approach. He was dressed in his silk kimono, and approached Kohaku with a fatherly look of pride on his face.

Placing his hand on the young Taijiya’s shoulder, he said “You have served me well, my boy.” before he effortlessly plucked the shard from his neck, causing him to collapse on the ground. Not quite dead yet, his final thought, as he stared sideways at the retreating figure’s feet, was that finally… finally…it was over.

Darkness took him then, and he knew nothing more, until he suddenly felt his eyes fluttering open, the confusion of feeling his lungs expand with air succeeding in giving him a mild headache. Daring to focus his vision, he glanced up with mild horror at the man who stood above him. He knew this youkai. He had attacked him, attacked his young ward. Had Sesshoumaru revived him simply so that he could have his revenge? Kill him by his own hand? It would be no more than he deserved. He deserved to be revived and killed a hundred times over to atone for all he had done. Staggering to his feet, he blinked in surprise when he saw the Taiyoukai shift to move away.

“Why did you save me?” he demanded to know, having gladly welcomed his death.

Pausing, but not turning around, he offered the boy an explanation he felt was not required.

“It was Naraku’s wish that you die.” he said simply, before continuing on his way.

Kohaku ran up to him, then slowing to meet his pace, walked beside him as he said “Naraku is completing the jewel. He not only went after my shard, but also the wolf’s.”

Sesshoumaru paused again, this time turning to meet the boy’s eyes. They held no fear for him. What would the boy have to fear when he had already tasted death twice? If nothing else, it was life that he feared.

“You will tell this Sesshoumaru what you know.”

“I don’t know much, but Kagura said that she was ordered to retrieve the wolf’s shards, and she also said that Naraku had a new incarnation that he was preparing to use against Inuyasha and the others.”

Sesshoumaru had been aware of the new incarnation; he had felt the power of its creation. He was also continuing to detect a stronger scent of Naraku coming from the direction in which he was heading. The scent he had detected hadn’t solely been from the boy.

“I will destroy Naraku.” Sesshoumaru stated simply, preparing to head off once again, when the human boy’s angry call of “No!” caused him to again turn to face the lad, an eyebrow raised in curiosity above anything else.

Kohaku picked up his weapon, that had still been lying on the ground, close to where he had fallen, and staring at it with a new look of determination in his eyes, he said simply “He’s mine.”

Sesshoumaru was never one to relinquish his claim on prey, however, he could not deny the fire in the boy’s eyes in that moment. He was also an honest man, and had to admit, at least to himself, that this boy had been wronged by Naraku far greater than he himself had been.

“Your name is Kohaku, is it not?”

The boy nodded.

Turning to leave for the final time, Sesshoumaru said simply “Come, Kohaku.”

***End Flashback***


Sango’s arms refused to leave her brother, but she was mildly surprised when she felt a new pair of arms join her, as she felt Miroku embrace her from behind while she embraced Kohaku.

“My Lord,” Miroku began, surprising even himself with the amount of respect he was showing the Taiyoukai, but all things considered… “You may not require the thanks of humans, but you have it, nonetheless.”

Without waiting to see if Sesshoumaru would respond, which he didn’t, Miroku turned Sango’s face to meet his own, and delivered a soft chaste kiss upon her lips. Sango had been so wrapped up in her brother that she’d forgotten all about Miroku’s curse until that moment. Coming out of her daze, she asked, stuttering mildly “M-Miroku, d-does this mean, y-your curse?”

“Is lifted.” he answered for her, a broad smile upon his face.

Sesshoumaru turned his attention from the disgusting display, but found that where his eyes chose to wander was even more disgusting. His miserable half-breed whelp of a brother was sitting rather unceremoniously upon the forest floor, the semi-coherent miko embraced protectively in his arms. Wait… This cannot be... Taking another sniff, just to be certain, he discovered he was right. They were mated! Yet, the miko showed such a display of true power, one would have thought her to be the purest of the pure. Instead, she was bonded to the hanyou, inu-youkai blood, however small the quantity, flowing through her own veins. Upon closer examination, he discovered that his brother was not simply holding the girl, but was also sharing the energy of his youki with her, through their bond. The miko, he discovered, though thoroughly drained, was otherwise unharmed, having simply tired herself out with the extreme amount of energy she had just been forced to exude from her body.

Approaching the pair slowly, he raised an eyebrow in curiosity at his brother, when Inuyasha turned to acknowledge his approach, only briefly, before refocusing his attention on the woman in his arms.

“You are mated.” he stated simply; it obviously wasn’t a question. He was openly surprised by the hanyou’s response.

“Sesshoumaru, I don’t want to fight with you. I’m tired, and Kagome needs me right now. I thank you for saving Kohaku; that was very honorable. Can we please part on good terms, for once?”

Even Sango and Miroku, as well as Shippo who had by now come out of hiding, were all in shock by his out of character behavior. Sesshoumaru, on the other hand, understood, at least partially, that the bond with the miko in his arms had apparently enabled his brother to keep a cool head, and focus on the task at hand. However, he was still in shock as to what, exactly, Inuyasha had said. Not so much his statement that he didn’t want to fight, or that his mate was taking precedence at the moment, as these statements fit into how he already viewed his half-brother as being weak. But he had thanked him, and called him honorable, and said please.

“I will leave…” he began to reply, adding “But answer me this.”

Inuyasha shifted his gaze to again meet his brother’s.

“How is it that her miko powers remain? A blood-bond should have destroyed them.”

“Hell if I know.” he chuckled darkly in response.

“Because a miko’s powers come from within her heart and soul, not her body. Your powers are physical, whereas mine are spiritual.” Kagome answered, having been worn out, but not unconscious, and having heard all the goings on of the last few minutes.

Sesshoumaru stepped two paces forward, and addressing her directly, asked “Why did you mate with my brother?”

“Now that’s easy…” she chuckled herself, “I love him.”

Ignoring his brother, Inuyasha leaned down and gently kissed her forehead, whispering “I love you too.”

Glaring at the pair in morbid fascination, he decided a small test was in order, considering Inuyasha had failed to approach him in advance for the family’s approval. Though, he hated to admit, the reason why the hanyou had not, was quite obvious.

“You are fools if you believe I would allow this farce to continue.”

Staggering to his feet, assisting Kagome in standing as well, Inuyasha glared his brother down, and while staring him straight in the eyes, snapped back with “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“It is still my intention to see you fall at my own hand, do not believe you can hide behind the safety of your miko.” he stated rather matter-of-factly.

Growling, Inuyasha drew his sword, while grinding out “I didn’t want to fight you, but if you insist, I will kill you where you stand! I hide behind no one!”

“Inuyasha…” Kagome murmured, while placing a soothing hand gently upon his shoulder. He was still injured from when Naraku had run him through, after all, and though the wound would heal, in time, she knew he was in no condition to fight at the moment.

“Miko, you would do good to not interfere. Your powers may have proven to match that of Naraku, but you can never hope to purify one as powerful as I.” the Taiyoukai stated with confidence. “If you believe I would permit myself to fall and either the hands of a hanyou or a human wench, then you are truly deceiving no one but yourselves. I would never let the likes of you bear claim to the Western Lands.”

That’s what this is about?” Inuyasha bellowed, “I don’t even want your fucking lands!”

“What’s going on?” Sango asked Miroku in a hushed whisper, not wishing to draw attention to themselves.

“It would seem, my dear Sango,” he began, equally as quiet, “That because Inuyasha has claimed a mate, he has elevated his status as potential heir to the Western Lands, were something to befall Sesshoumaru before he acquired an heir of his own.”

“Why doesn’t Sesshoumaru just take a mate then?” Shippo asked innocently enough, “Then he wouldn’t have to worry about Inuyasha inheriting anything.”

“Because nobody in their right mind would want to mate with the ice king.” Inuyasha retorted, revealing the others hadn’t been as quiet as they’d believed.

“Perhaps…” Sesshoumaru began, “I will take your miko for myself, once I have killed you.”

That statement caused Inuyasha’s eyes to flash red, despite the fact that he held Tetsusaiga firmly in his grasp. Sesshoumaru was not aware that he could transform while still in possession of their father’s fang, and felt the tiniest hint of apprehension.

“You will not touch her!” he shouted as he charged, which indicated that though his body had transformed, his mind had not left him. That in it of itself was also a new development.

Sesshoumaru sidestepped the attack in what appeared to be an effortless movement, but also did not retaliate with an attack of his own. He knew Inuyasha was wounded, and nothing was more dangerous than a wounded animal protecting its mate, except, perhaps, a female protecting her young. He was at a loss as to how to calm his brother’s youki, though, considering his father’s fang was already held firmly in his grasp. Suddenly, the miko ran forward, an unexpected reserve of spiritual power flaring around her, as if she too had acquired unnatural strength when faced with a threat to her mate’s life.

“Leave him alone!” she shouted, as she blasted the Taiyoukai with a mild bolt of purifying energy.

Dazed, it took him a moment to come to terms with what just happened. Her blast had been rather weak, and had not injured him, but that was to be expected at the moment. He had sensed her true powers, and knew that under normal circumstances, she was much stronger. Even in her current weakened state, it had still felt as though she hadn’t given him her all with that attack. Had she deliberately held back? He had previously thought his brother weak, when his Wind Scar blast had failed to kill him, only to later learn that Inuyasha had deliberately held back, not wanting to kill his only living relative. Thinking back on the last few minutes, Sesshoumaru relented to himself that Inuyasha had said that he did not wish to fight, and had been honorably pleading with him that they part in peace. Yet, he’d continued to provoke the pair, until they both charged in attack. Clearing his head, he looked before him, to see the miko currently embracing her mate, a visible glow of faint purple enveloping the both of them. Before his very eyes, he witnessed Inuyasha’s transformation reverse itself, as his eyes returned to their natural amber, and the stripes on his cheeks, which made him look more like their father than he cared to admit, once again went into remission.

As he observed them, he made mental note of the other four people around them, who were all staring in shock and confusion, but were wise enough to not interfere. What the monk had said was true, were something to happen to him, Inuyasha would inherit their father’s land. It was for that reason that he had to make sure that should such a situation arise, his brother would be strong enough for the task. Glancing to the side, he noticed the complete Shikon no Tama still resting where it lay, near the fallen body of Onigumo. Inuyasha had been so concerned with the safety of his mate, that he had not left her side to retrieve it. He recalled all to well the younger hanyou of fifty years prior, who’d wanted nothing more than to possess that jewel, so he could increase his own strength. That strength seemed to have increased on its own, though, he noted, as had the miko’s. Her powers were never that strong before they were mated, he was sure. Rather than weaken each other, they had strengthened each other, instead. They would each die to protect their mate, and they would each kill to protect them, as well.

“Inuyasha…”

Though his tone was as bland as ever, his voice was rather forceful, and it was enough to cause both Inuyasha and Kagome to stagger away from each other slightly, as they each fixed their gaze on the Taiyoukai.

“You have chosen a strong mate.” he stated simply, before turning and walking away.

Everyone stared at his retreating form in mild shock, their expressions meant to ask “What just happened here?”

Kagome was the first to recognize the situation for what it was.

“He was testing us.”

They absorbed this realization for a few minutes, until they finally decided they’d better stop standing around in the snow before they all caught a cold.

“Well,” Miroku started, as he took Sango’s hand in his, “Shall we return to the village?”

“It is getting rather late.” Sango observed in agreement, adding “And we already know there are rooms available at the Inn.”

“What do you think?” Kagome asked Inuyasha tentatively.

“Feh, those whispers were also part of Gensou’s trick, I’m sure of it.” he scoffed, still kicking himself for his stupidity. “The villagers ain’t got no problem with us, it’s a trading village, so they’re used to dealing with youkai.”

“I agree.” she whispered softly, having come to the same conclusion. With a mild look of discomfort in her eyes, she added “And I don’t really feel like staying out in the woods tonight.”

Understanding all too well what had almost happened in that very clearing, he remained silent, but wrapped his arms around her, deeply inhaling her soothing scent. He wouldn’t ever let anything like that happen ever again. He wasn’t going to let her out of his sight from that point on, even if he got sat for it.

Patting the hand that firmly gripped her midsection, Kagome meant to portray that she knew all too well what he was thinking, and that at the moment, she had no desire to argue. Breaking free of his grasp for only a moment, she retrieved the sacred jewel, and putting it in her pocket, whispered “Let’s go.”