InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Meant To Be ❯ The Switch ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm glad you all like my twist….but don't get to mad at me in this chapter. I just wanted Sango to be the princess for once.

This chapter goes out to my first six reviews.

~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 2

InuYasha stared up into the sky as he often did when he was deep in thought. `How would I feel if I was in Miroku's position?' He had been pondering this question ever since they had gotten to the castle.

`I wonder if my parents were against meeting each other?', but he soon dismissed the thought. `No, they couldn't have been because my Dad and Mom fell in love.' When he was little he remembered spying on his mother telling one of the new chamber maids the whole lovey-dovey ordeal.

She would rant about how they first met when he was coming back from visiting Fantasia. She had broken her leg and was now stranded on the side of the rode. He had picked her up and taken her back to the castle. Everyone kept looking at her, but it was not because she was human. It was because she was the first woman outside the castle that had been allowed in since the death of his first wife.

`I wish I could help Miroku, but he already said that his dad would make him sorry if he did anything to mess this one up.'

"InuYasha." His thoughts were broken as the sound of his name being called brought him back to reality. "InuYasha, why can't you ever act like a normal prince?"

He looked down on the raven haired girl and frowned. "Who's to say what's normal." He turned away from her and continued to look in to the sky as if she wasn't there.

"Well it might be nice if you could go through one day with out getting tree sap or bark pieces stuck in your clothes."

Untucking his arms from behind his head and jumped down from the branch he had been occupying to examine his clothes. The red robes with gold vine embroidery on the ends were as flawless and clean, as it was when he put it on this morning.

He then proceeded to flick some imaginary dust off of his shoulder and looked down at the girl with a lopsided grin. "I don't see anything." Still grinning he brushed passed her and began to walk back to the palace.

Just for good measure he dashed off at a speed that made his long silver locks wave behind him like a flag. `Yeah, that should do it.' He thought as he leapt away. He could almost hear her teeth grinding.

Kikyo stood underneath the tree watching him. `Why does he always have to be such a smart ass?' Then she looked longingly at his beautiful silver hair that seemed to never lose its shine or needed to be comb. He knew how much she despised the fact that she would spend hours untangling the her black blob that always seem to appear in the morning, while he would get up a shake his head one good time and not a strain be out of place. "Damn him." She spat through clinched teeth.

Then she remembered why she had tracked him down in the first place. "InuYasha! InuYasha! InuYasha, I know you can hear me!" She was beginning to run after him now. Still yelling, she added, "Miroku wanted to talk to you!"

~*~*~*~*~

"What do you mean we'll be there by nightfall?" Sango screamed a little more loudly than she intended.

"The King must have told the driver to double time it. The coach driver told me when we stopped to eat lunch that we would be in Youkai Kingdom by nightfall." Kagome scoffed as the driver hit another bump in the road. "I don't see why we are going all the way over there to meet this prince anyway. Why aren't we going to his palace in Fantasia?"

Sango huffed as the next bump caused her head to hit the ceiling of the carriage. Kagome stuck her head out the window to tell the coachman that if he made the princess bump her head again Sango would not be the only unhappy person when they reached their destination. Kagome waited in silence hoping Sango would answer the question that had been nagging her since they had set off.

With a deep sigh, the girl began to speak. "Daddy said something about your first meeting should be a pleasant one..blah blah blah..so both of you won't feel uncomfortable…blah blah blah..netrual ground…blah blah.." She pondered a moment. "That's all I remember.", she finished.

"How refined of you Sango."

"Well after my dad started his "You Are A Princess" speech I kind of tuned him out. Why should I go out of my way to impress a guy that I don't want to meet any way." It was a statement not a question.

"Sango I realize that you are against this but can't you just try to make the best of it? I mean if I was in your situation, I'd at least meet him first before I dismiss him. At the very least…I'd…want to…" Kagome let her voice travel off. She wanted to know why Sango was looking at her like that.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

Sango let the mischievous glint in her eye grow as she spoke. "Kagome remember when we were little and I would always let you try on my dresses.."

"And we would pretend to rule the kingdom together." Kagome finished, smiling brightly while reminiscing. `But what does that have to do with anything?', the humble servant thought. "Why?", is what she said aloud.

"I was thinking, what if we did that right now. Wouldn't that be fun?"

The maiden gasped at what her majesty had just suggested. "Sango tell me you are joking."

The princess bit her lip and avoided eye contact at her lady in waiting, indicating that she was not joking. "Do you want to get in trouble?! Do you realize what would happen if someone found out? I'm sorry Sango I can't do that for you."

"No need to be sorry because I'm not giving you a choice in the matter." Sango echoed the very same words that had crashed her world only a week ago. "You said yourself that if you were in my position that you would be handling it better than me."

"But..but you took that out of context!"

"No buts. You will meet this prince, pretend to be me, and enjoy it."

Kagome continued to stare at the princess. `How do I get myself into these situations?'

~*~*~*~*~

They were sitting in InuYasha's room. The bed was angled in the back corner of the room, adorned with velvety blood red comforter and pillows. While the white silk sheets were the softest thing that you could ever have the pleasure of caressing your skin. Adjacent to the bed (left) was a sitting area with a fireplace in front. Directly across from the sitting area was a gigantic picture frame door that led to the balcony. The room was the same blood color as the sheets and the walls had gold colored running dogs on the boarder, which seemed to perfectly blend with the ceiling.

InuYasha looked at his friend as if he'd grown another head. Miroku had spent the last hour explaining how he had come up with a way to run off his betrothed without actually doing that task himself. However, InuYasha was just as confused as he had been when Miroku started talking.

The hanyou prince rose from the sitting area to stare at the glass doors leading to the balcony, which was now closed. His dark haired friend continued his low rambling as if he were talking to himself. "Yes. Yes. That should so the trick." Miroku continued to wildly pace back and forth behind the dog prince while his chin remained in his hand. "No one could do this except you."

InuYasha hadn't understood much of what he was blabbering about but his sensitive ears perked up and swiveled back at the last comment. Turning his head, InuYasha sent a questioning look to the pacing prince. "Excuse me?"

"InuYasha haven't you been listening?"

Shrugging, InuYasha put his arms in the oversized sleeves. "How am I suppose to know what the fuck you are going on about. Just spit it out, damn it!"

"I forgot how you can mess up simple instructions." Miroku began to talk slowly now. "Okay, since I am not allowed to run her away you will do it for me."

InuYasha raised an eyebrow as Miroku continued to talk to him as if he were slow. "No one knows more about running people away than you do, InuYasha. You will pretend to be me. Show her your alienating persona and poof! She'll be gone before we know it."

"Father said I couldn't mess it up. He never mentioned anything about her calling it off. Besides with this face and suave", he pointed to his features as one might when selling a product, "there is no way she would leave. Remember that trouble I had with the last one?"

InuYasha decided to forget the fact that Miroku had just insulted his people skills and swiftly conked him for talking to him like he was a toddler. "Hey! What did you do that for?", Miroku asked, tending to his sore head.

"Did you ever stop to think that maybe you might like her, dumb ass. What would you do then genius?"

"InuYasha. InuYasha. That won't be a problem. If I find myself falling for the Mayan maiden then I will simply rescue her from your cruel mistreatings, thus becoming her hero. You don't know anything about women do you?"

"Just because I don't get a handful of every woman I come in contact with doesn't mean I don't know anything about women", InuYasha steamed with a slight growl.

"That further proves my point. You have to have some on hands training before you can truly explore and understand a woman." Miroku flexed his hand before him.

"You're a sick hentai. And if you keep pissing me off I'm not going to help you." The inu prince was now sitting on the couch.

"So you are going to help me?"

"Don't asks such ignorant questions."

"I see Kikyo has been teaching you big words again." Miroku quickly ducked the cushion that was meant for his head, caught it and redirected it back to its owner.

InuYasha could tell Miroku was starting to feel better. Unfortunately, the dog hanyou didn't expect to see the red blur racing toward him and took the hit full in the face.

This was the start of a very messy pillow fight.

~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Answer to the reviews -

Fuki - Yes this is the classic coupling. InuYasha/Kagome and Miroku/Sango. And thanks about noticing how hard I tried to correct the spelling.

Cartamanda - Thanks for the encouragement. I know this idea isn't totally original, but it was just an idea that popped into my head and it wouldn't go away.

Aurora_thorn - I swear when I wrote these they were at least four pages.