InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mermaids ❯ Realizations and Confrontations ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Hello, My name is Maiden of the Moon, and I am not an alcoholic. Nor do I own Inu-Yasha. Or Billy Joel (Though I met him once!)::sighs:: Damn. . .

Author's Note: A few quick things.

One, thank you SO much for all the wonderful reviews! XD I feel oh-so-very-loved! ::blush:: I hope everyone keeps enjoying this, and all my other fics. (Speaking of which, I'm already writing the summary for my next one. (-:)

Anyway, the more important note- I'm sorry updates have been so few and far between, but I've still been really busy. My friends and I are planning parties and money-making schemes, and, well, that takes time. In addition, I've set a writing goal for myself for the summer: Finish and send out quire letters for my first novel. (Well, technically it's my second, but I don't like my first, so screw it. (-;) I'm sure most of you will recognize the title- it's a little story I've decided to call Fragment of Eternity. XD

Also, the fourth of July weekend is coming up. I know some of you don't celebrate the fourth (for multiple reasons), but my family does. And because of that, I'm being dragged- er- I mean, going to visit a lot of my family for a week. ::coughs to hide groans:: (Don't get me wrong, I love my family- I just prefer writing over socializing. No one wants to talk about fun stuff, anyway, like Inu-Yasha. (-;) I'm not exactly sure when we're leaving, so this may be my last update for a few days. However, I'm sure I'll have written lots of updates by the time I get back. (I always take my laptop with me, wherever I go. (-:)

Well, that's it for now! Please enjoy this chapter! (AND YES, I REALIZE I CHANGED THE WORDS TO BILLY JOEL'S SONG)

-

-

-

Mermaids

Part III: Realizations and Confrontations

-

-

-

"Sango, I'm heading out early!" Kag called cheerfully as she bustled around the kitchen, dumping dirty dishes into the sink for later cleaning, and placing the clean ones messily in the cabinets. The place already looked a mess, she figured, what's a bit more?

"What?" the chestnut haired girl blinked, confused as the speeding blur that was Brandy shot past her once again. "But it's barely closing time!"

"I know!" she sang, twirling a few times before glancing quickly out the window. With a tiny wave to someone she presumably saw in the dark, she proceeded to tear apart the employ's coat rack, retrieving her cloak. "But all the same. Urgent business!"

"Oh. Okay. Right. . ." Sango murmured slowly as Kagome raced out the backdoors with a swift `good night'. `Urgent business my ass. . . What's she been up to? She's had `urgent business' every night for the past two weeks. . .'

With a sigh and a shake of her head, the girl pushed it to the back of her mind, picking up a broom as Kikyo entered. "Have you seen Inu-Yasha?" she inquired, pouting her makeup covered lips. "I left to find some fruit, told him I'd be right back, and then he was gone."

"Dunno," Sango replied honestly, pushing the pile of dirt her broom was collecting beneath a nearby, already very messy rug. (You could tell who'd been doing the sweeping for the past few days.) "But I'll tell you if I see him."

"Mmm," the ebony haired waitress replied syllabically before sighing, her eyes growing rather- well- dreamy. "Oh. . . no matter. I'll see him tomorrow, anyway. . ." she giggled, clasping her hands over her heart.

"Er. . . You do that."

With a joyful beam (that seemed a bit out of place on her face), Kikyo proceeded to float out of the room, leaving Sango to do the rest of the cleanup duties by herself.

"Oh. . . bugger," the remaining waitress sighed, turning her attention to the rug; which could no longer touch the floor, thanks to collecting dust.


It was going to be a long night.

-

`Dumb. . . stupid. . .' the brown-locked girl grumbled mentally as she scrubbed the dirty dishes, hair falling into her face. `Why isn't anyone else staying behind anymore? God! I mean, really- and the silence gets so loud after a whi- - - !'

Sango gave a start, spinning around in surprise as she heard something odd- a tinkering melody. A tinkering melody coming from the main room- the piano. "Miroku. . . ?" she breathed, shocked as she dropped her rag. What was he doing here? `Shouldn't he be home, like everyone else ?' she wondered, padding over to the kitchen doors. `What's he up to. . . ?' With a thoughtful frown, she poked her head out of the doors- - -

To see the piano man, brow furrowed in concentration, pouring over a few scraps of paper.

. . . Well, at least he wasn't stealing anything.

With a shake of her head she turned around; trying to focus on the chores that she wanted to complete, but soon finding that her curiosity had other plans for her.


`What's he writing. . . ? Is it more music? Is he taking a shot at yet another composition?'

Cursing herself for caring, she spun around once more and stomped out of the kitchen (just to let him know she was here), stopping in front of the piano. Miroku jumped as her loud footfalls awoke him from his trance. "Huh. . . ?" he muttered intelligently before glancing up. "Oh!" He smiled as Sango stared down at him. "Hello! I didn't know anyone else was here."

"Neither did I," she replied, lacing her fingers together and placing them on top of the piano, resting her chin on her hands. "What are you doing?"

He shrugged, putting his pen down. "I don't have a piano at home, so sometimes I stay late to practice. You?"

"It was my turn at the bar today, so I have extra clean-up duities." `That and everyone left before completing theirs. . .'

"Oh."

They stood in silence for a few moment, Miroku looking elsewhere as he- almost shyly- poked at a few keys, and Sango gnawing at her bottom lip. `Alright. . .' she prompted herself. `You know what he's up to. . . Say goodbye and go back to your work.'

But, no matter how much she urged herself- she just didn't want to. `Oh. . . who cares about chores. There not even mine, anyway.' So, instead, she tried something else. Asking another question.

"Have you finished any songs, lately?"

"No," he sighed, as if annoyed with himself. "Nothing that I'm all that proud of. . . I just can't get anything to flow right. I think I'm suffering a writer's block of sorts. . ."

"Maybe you're trying too hard," she suggested. He shot her a dry look. "No, really," she insisted. "Watch." She straightened up and reached into her apron, pulling out a shiny silver harmonica. Lifting it to her lips, she began to blow a random tune. The sweet melody filled the room with sound for a moment or two, and then she suddenly stopped. "See? I didn't think about it, came up with something, and it sounded okay."

However, the girl's grin wavered when she realized that Miroku didn't look as if he was paying much attention. Instead, he was simply staring at Sango with a half smile on his face. "You play the harmonica?"

". . . So?" she blinked, putting her instrument away. "I hardly see how that's relevant."

"It isn't," the man agreed, a bemused expression on his face. "I just didn't know that."

"There's a lot about me that you don't know," the girl sniffed, seating herself on the edge of the table next to him. Miroku's eyes never left her, and- much to her embarrassment- she felt the back of her neck begin to tingle with warmth.

"I doubt it," he laughed. "So maybe I didn't know that- but there can't be much else. I've known you since we were in grade school!"

"I'll have you know there's a lot that I don't tell you," she replied haughtily, crossing her arms over her chest and staring down her nose at the piano man. "Personal things."

"Oh?" he quirked an eyebrow. "Like what?"

"Like my dreams and my hopes and my feelings." She tossed her head with a disdainful air. Then she clapped her hands and made to get to her feet. "Now, if you'll excuse me- - -"

"Hold on a sec," he chuckled, grabbing her arm before she could move. "You can't just start a conversation like that and then leave in the middle. Tell me."

"No," she gasped, seemingly horrified. "If I told you, then you'd know all about me again."

"But I want to know all about you," he beamed, winking jovially. The tips of Sango's ears began to burn as she ripped her arm from his.

"Very well," she sighed, sounding a bit pained. She had walked right into this. . . "But you have to tell me stuff I don't know about you in return."

"Are you sure you want to know?" he waggled his eyebrows suggestively as she grimaced.

"APPROPRITE things that I don't know," she elaborated.

"Aww. . ."

"I'll start," she murmured. "When I was little, I wanted to be a singer. Or maybe a dancer. Or- I dunno- anything! And I wanted to sing or dance or whatever in front of a big crowd!"

"Like in a playhouse?" he asked, placing the cover over the keys of the piano and resting his elbows upon it.

"No- something bigger. Like Broadway!" she exclaimed, a rare, happy glow illuminating her face. But then the glitter died away. "However. . . Lessons in those subjects are expensive- and traveling is even more so. So instead I just stuck around here. . . and when Brandy started this bar, I decided to give it a shot. I thought, maybe, once in a while, I could perform for the customers and. . . well, you see how that turned out."

Miroku opened his mouth to comment, to try and wipe the sadness off of the girl's face, but she perked up before he could say anything. "Alright! Your turn!"

"Huh? Oh. . . Well. . ." he thought for a moment, forehead crinkling. "I hate the piano."

Sango straightened, a rather shocked look on her face. "What?"

"Hated," he corrected himself. "I don't hate it anymore. But when I started playing I loathed it with a passion. I'd rather sing or play my viola."

". . . You play the viola?"

"Oops!" he beamed. "I guess that was two cats-out-of-the-bag. So you have to spoil two things, next!"

"What?! No fair!"

"WAY fair."

"Oooo- - - Fine," Sango grumbled, a bit peeved. And in her anger, she made a mistake: "I was always jealou - - !"

In an instant, she realized what she was saying and cut herself off with a gasp, clamping her hands over her mouth.

"Huh?" Miroku arched an eyebrow, that amused expression taking hold of his face again. "What was that?"

"Nothing!" she snapped, getting to her feet in a rush. "I've got a lot to do, so I better- - -!"

"No, wait," he murmured, standing and blocking the girl's way to the kitchen, loosely grabbing her wrists. "Spill the beans. I promise not to laugh."

She shook her head.

"Awww, come on," he poked her gently in the sides with one hand, making a goofy face. "You know you want to teeeeeeell meeeeeeee!" Her carefully set glare trembled as a smile tugged on her lips. "Pleeeeeeeease?"

"Fine," she sighed, voice growing softer and softer each passing moment. "I said. . ." but then she trailed off into a mumble, making the boy blink.

"Uh. . . say again?"

"I SAID," she muttered, a little irritated as she looked away and the piano man smiled down at her. "I said that I was always jealous when you flirted with and touched other girls. Even though I said I wasn't."

Miroku blinked once again, this time in surprise.

"Happy?!" Sango spat, her hands shaking as her cheeks burnt.

. . .

". . . Yes, actually," the man breathed. "Very."

The waitress jumped when she felt a warm finger trace the side of her chin, causing her to glance up- locking gazes with Miroku's twilight colored eyes. She swallowed, her mouth hanging open slightly as her lashes fluttered. "R. . .really. . . ?"

"Mhm," he grinned at her; the charming grin that she had fallen in love with way back in school. "In fact, I'm so happy I'll even tell you one of my secrets, though it's still technically your turn."

"Oh. . . ?" the girl breathed, voice hitching in her throat as the man leaned foreword, his mouth grazing her ear.

"I love you."

Sango's heart stopped as she drew back, eyes wide and her whole face on fire. The man before her simply smiled, tilting his head to the side as she gave a small cry- - -

And then launched herself into his embrace, locking their lips in a passionate kiss.

-

"Can I get you anything else, Inu-chan?"

The sailor tried his best not to roll his eyes as irritation nipped at him. "No, Kikyo," he replied, keeping his schooled voice deprived of emotions. "Thank you, though."

"Oh," she seemed a little put out, but smiled all the same. "Well, just give me a holler if you think of something, darling. You hear?" With that, (to Inu-Yasha's great pleasure) Kikyo hopped off of his lap, fluttered her eyelashes (at which he silently grimaced), and flounced back into the kitchen.

But before he could even give a sigh of relief, someone else, who also demanded his full attention, appeared:

"Ah, and there he is- there he is again!"

Inu-Yasha turned in his stool at the bar; drink still in his hand as a small group of townsmen and sailors glided into the Autumn Leaves. "Gentlemen," he greeted casually, winking at Kagome as she caught his eye from across the tavern. She spun quickly away when he did so, but the blush on her cheeks was evident. "What can I do for you?"

"Nothing, nothing," the leader of the pack smiled and waved a hand, as if shooing any business away. His ice blue eyes shone. "We just thought we'd join you for a tankard."

"Thoughtful of you," the silver haired man replied slowly, knowing quite well that they had a bone of sorts to pick with him. And he was sure he knew what it was about, too.

"Can I get you men anything?" Brandy questioned with a wide grin as she sashayed behind the bar once again, braided hair cushioning her shoulder. "Vodka? Beer? Sake?"

Inu-Yasha shot the men around him a series of discrete stares, in no way missing the love struck expressions on many of the faces. Oh, yeah- he knew what this was about.

"Just a round of rum, love. Make it your best kind," the head ordered, a sly, sexy smile on his face.

"Of course, Mr. Kouga," Kagome nodded, turning to stride back into the kitchen.

"Ah. . . Isn't she the cutest little thing?" Kouga cooed after her retreating back, cupping his chin in his hands as he and the other men watched her. "She's my woman, you know."

"Really? Do tell," Inu-Yasha murmured conversationally, arching an eyebrow. "She's never mentioned you to me."

"Oh?! And she speaks to you often, does she?" the black haired male guffawed, causing the other men around him to follow suit. (But only after a few moments of expectant stares.)

"I fail to see what's so funny about it," the golden-eyed man shrugged, tilting his head back to suck up the last of his ale. God- either this Kouga guy was the cockiest bastard he'd ever seen or- - - -nope, he was the cockiest bastard he'd ever seen.

"My dear man, this is what's so funny," Kouga snickered, wiping a tear from his eye. "My Brandy isn't all too fond of sailors. In fact, I'm the only one she tolerates- if you catch my drift, eh?"

"Uh huh. . ." the salesman droned, his tone so patronizing that the second sailor frowned, his expression becoming rather dangerous.

"What? You don't believe me?"

"I simply know Kagome, and from what she's told me you're not her type," Inu-Yasha shrugged, flipping a few coins onto the table as he pushed his empty mug away. "I didn't say I believed you or thought that you were lying."

Kouga opened his mouth to retort, but at that moment Kag spun back over, tray full of rum in her hands. "Here you are, Mr. Kouga," she smiled, before turning her attention to Inu. "Would you like anything else?"

"Your attention?" he purred coyly, thus making another warm blush stain Brandy's cheeks. She giggled and lightly smacked his hand, laughing out loud when he pretended that it hurt. The blue-eyed sailor and his cronies watched this exchange with dark scowls.

"Anything that you don't already have?" she smiled warmly, leaning a bit closer to him and propping her head in her hands.

"Hmm. . . how about a dance?" he suggested, catching Miroku's eye at the piano. The piano man, who had been waiting for this oh-so-very-subtle signal, nodded, knowing just what to do (thanks to the big tip with instructions upon it that he had received last night from Inu-Yasha. Hey, he wasn't the only sly one in the tavern.).

"Nuh uh," Kagome shook her head, though a smile still adorned her pretty face. "I don't know how!"

"Nonsense," the sailor admonished, taking one of her hands and lifting her arm, raising their linked hands over the heads of those sitting at the bar and leading her to the floor. "If you didn't know how to dance, than you wouldn't have put a dance floor in the middle of this place." He turned and exchanged grins with Miroku. "Have anything special to play for us?"

"Why yes, in fact, I do," the piano man beamed. (A few groans echoed from the near by tables.) "Sango and I wrote this little ditty last night, and I thought you all might want to hear it."

Sango, who had instinctively walked out to take Brandy's place behind the bar, froze. "Wha- - - ?" her eyes widened and her throat dried up as everyone turned to look at her.

"Come on, Sango, love, I need your help," Miroku winked at her, pulling a chair closer to his piano and patting it.

"But I- - - !"

"Go on!" Inu-Yasha urged her. Kagome nodded to, though she had absolutely no idea what was going on.

"Well. . . okay," she gave in, a nervous smile on her face as she took her seat next to Miroku, pulling out her harmonica. "But you owe me."

"More than you know," the sea man murmured, tightening his arms around Kag's waist as the music started- and he began to twirl around the floor with her.

"It's nine o'clock on a Saturday

The regular crowd shuffles in

There's an old man sitting next to me

Making love to his tonic and gin," Miroku sang softly, making the old man who, ironically, was sitting next to him, turn an irritated eye towards him; muttering "I ain't THAT old," under his breath. Despite that, however, the twilight-eyed man seemed to have gotten the attention of everyone else in the bar for a good reason- this song didn't suck so far!

Weird.

"He says, `Son, can you play me a memory

I'm not really sure how it goes

But it's sad and it's sweet

And I know it complete

When I wore a younger man's clothes'

La la la la la dee laa. . . La la la dee da. . . Da dum. . ."

Sango slowly relaxed as she played, catching Miroku's eye and smiling against her instrument as he beamed at her.


"Sing us a song, you're the piano man

Sing us a song tonight

Well, we're all in the mood for a melody

And you've got us feelin' all right."

Kouga glared while other men cooed at the waltzing couple on the floor, multiple pairs of men and woman eventually getting to their feet to join them.

"Sango at the bar is a friend of mine

She gets me my drinks for free

And she's quick with a joke or

To light up your smoke

But there's some place that she'd rather be."

Sango's face burnt red as a few eyes looked her way, but for the most part she ignored them.

"She says `Yes, I believe this is killing me'


As a smile ran away from her face

`Well, I'm sure that I could be a movie star

If I could get out of this place'

Oh, la la la la la dee laa. . . La la la dee da. . . Da dum."

"Did you plan this?" Kagome murmured against Inu-Yasha's shoulder, her stomach aflutter with butterflies. She could hear her own heartbeat loudly in her ear, in time with the sailor's who held her.

"Perhaps," he chuckled. He lowered his lips to her ear, making her shiver deliciously. "But if it makes you feel better, we could say I was just trying to promote Miroku's new song."

"And what would we say otherwise?" Brandy questioned softly, eyelashes quivering as she tilted her head to look up at him.

He grinned. "That I just wanted to hold you."

"Now Ori's a real estate novelist

Who's never had time for a wife

And he's talking with Davy,

Who's still in the navy,

And probably will be for life.

And the waitress is practicing politics!

As the businessmen slowly get stoned

Yes, they're sharing a drink

The call loneliness

But it's better than drinking alone!"

"What's going on out here?" Kikyo frowned as she burst through the kitchen doors- just in time to see Inu-Yasha and Kagome gliding past, oblivious to the world as Miroku masterfully entered a piano solo.

She froze- - -

Before quickly turning around and racing back into the kitchen, eyes hidden.

"Sing us a song, you're the piano man

Sing us a song tonight

Well, we're all in the mood for a melody

And you've got us feelin' all right."

"Two questions: first, how do your words taste?" one customer smirked at his friend, silently toasting Miroku with his half-full shot glass as he smirked at the male beside him. "And second- what color knickers are you gonna wear while you gallivant in town square?"

The other man flushed red, an annoyed look on his face as he downed his own shot. "Shut up."

"It's a pretty good crowd for a Saturday

And the manager gives me a smile

`Cause she knows that it's me

They've been coming to see

To forget about life for a while

And the piano sounds like a carnival

And the whole place smells just like a beer

And they sit at the bar and

Put bread in my jar

And say `Man, what are you doing here?!'

Oh, la la la la la dee laa. . . La la la dee da. . . Da dum."

Miroku grinned at the stunned faces of his audience over his piano, knowing full well that he'd finally done it- he'd actually come up with an indisputably good song. He almost laughed when Inu-Yasha gave him a thumbs-up sign from behind Kagome's back, and Kag did the same behind Inu's.


"Sing us a song, you're the piano man

Sing us a song tonight

Well, we're all in the mood for a melody

And you've got us feeling all right!"

-

"Nice moves, Brandy!" one gray haired man grinned as Kagome once again found her place behind the bar, heart pounding loudly and her face still pink.

"You're so graceful! Want a round with me?" another teased.


"Oh, guys! Stop it!" she laughed, smiling over her shoulder as she went to retrieve some more orders from the kitchen.

"Very smooth, Romeo," Kouga sneered as Inu-Yasha pulled up his stool again. "Very clever."

"There's nothing `clever' about it," he shrugged, smirking. "I wanted to dance, so I asked her. And I also wanted to give Miroku a chance to show off."

"Like shit," the black haired sailor hissed under his breath. "You know- I don't trust you."

"Really?" Inu-Yasha commented lightly, unperturbed. "I'd never have guessed."

"How long are you gonna be staying, anyway?" he pressed, eyes narrowing. "Because, quite frankly, NORMAL sailors don't stick around as long as you have. What's it been, two weeks?"

"Almost, yeah," the amber orbed male shrugged nonchalantly, though inside he was beginning to get quite irritated.

"Hmph. It seems to me," Kouga continued, venom in his voice. "That you're only sticking around to flirt with MY Brandy."

"Well, considering she ain't yours. . ."

"Listen, you," the man seethed, grabbing Inu-Yasha's collar and dragging him up with him. "Don't get smart with me. . ."

"Yeah. I wouldn't want to confuse you or anything," Inu sneered, pushing the other's hands away and taking his stool again. "Just leave, Kouga. I've got nothing to say to you."

"Well, I've got something to say to you!" he roared, having to be held back by two of his friends. "You're a fake! A phony! A pirate! Something! You're just trying to win our trust, steal our women, and leave!"

"Leave? Yes!" Inu-Yasha suddenly snapped, spinning in his seat to glare at Kouga. "If it makes you happy to know, I'll tell you- Yes! I'm leaving! In a few days, in fact- I hate the land! The only reason I've stuck around so long is that my ship needed a few repairs! But NOW she's all set! I'm going to be sailing off into the sunset within 72 hours! Oh-" he then smirked. "And so I'm not too `smart' with you, I'll simplify it- that's in three days." He displayed the number on his hand, just to make sure the other man understood.

"Why you- - - !"

But he made it clear

He couldn't stay

No harbor was his home

"MR. KOUGA! You know what happens to those who pick fights in my bar!"

Everyone jumped as Brandy burst though the kitchen doors, eyes livid as they fell upon the restrained sailor. His own eyes widened as he saw her. "B-Brady, I didn't- - - !"

"Out!" she pointed, glaring.

"But I- - -!"

"OUT!"

". . . C'mon, guys," the man grumbled, tugging his arms free and stalking off towards the door, shooting Inu-Yasha an irritated look as he did so. The silver haired sailor simply raised his empty glass towards him, trying to hold back a laugh. Kagome, however, who still looked just as enraged over the possible break-out as before, took a deep breath, nodded her head towards those who were still staring at her, and stormed back into the kitchen- - -

Before pressing her back to the wall and sliding down it, whole body numb as tears began welling up inside her eyes. `Th-three days. . . ? He's leaving in three days. . . ?'

The sailor said "Brandy,


You're fine girl

What a good wife, you would be!

But my life, my lover, my lady

Is the sea."

-

"Inu-Yasha?"

"Yes?"

"Tell me a story."

"Another one?" the sailor chuckled, his arm tightening around Kagome's as they, per usual, walked together through the dark village streets. The waitress bit her bottom lip and nodded, not trusting her voice as she stared off at the stars and the harvest moon. "Well, all right. What would you like to hear about today?"

"Where you're going next," Brandy whispered, the corners of her stormy orbs prickling once again. "What's so great about that place that makes you want to leave m- I mean, here. . ."

. . . ?

Inu-Yasha came to a sudden stop, hands freezing around hers. "You heard. . . ?"

Kagome laughed bitterly, avoiding his gaze. "How could I not?"


"Kagome- - - "

"Just- just never mind," the girl shook her head, feeling bile rise in her throat. "I don't want to know. Tell me something else, instead. Anything." She began to tug on his arm, forcing him to start up again.

"Kagome, please- - -!"

"Tell me a story," she demanded again, voice growing a bit louder as she turned her watery eyes towards him.

. . .


He swallowed, tried to smile, and then sighed; wrapping his arm around her shoulders. ". . . Fine. Have I told you about my old friend, Myoga the Flea, yet?"

"Um. . .No." She snuggled into his side, allowing his breathing to slowly calm her and his warm, rough voice to sooth her. "What's he like?"

"Well, he's not really a flea, I suppose I should say first. No, he's not, but he's as annoying as one, let me tell you. There was this one time, during a typhoon, that I swear the little moron almost got us all killed. . ."

Brandy used to watch his eyes

When he told his sailor's story

She could feel the ocean fall and rise

She saw its raging glory


-

"We're here. . ."

Inu-Yasha nodded mechanically, knowing full well that yes, they were. After all, he hadn't walked her home for the past few weeks for nothing. . . "Yes, we are." Was she feeling okay?

Kagome swallowed silently, staring blankly at the hard red door before her that led into her tiny, two-story home. The surrounding houses; each black inside and squished right up next to each other; seemed oddly ominous tonight. In fact, it left her feeling a bit frightened. . .

"Want to come in?" she left slip before she had caught herself, feeling her face redden. The sailor at her side quirked an eyebrow at her, a playful glitter in his golden orbs. Kag pushed him, rolling her eyes. "Don't get any ideas."

"Wouldn't dream of it," he replied sincerely. "But sure, I'd love to."

Feeling her heart leap into her throat, Kagome managed a small grin before fitting her key into the door lock (her fingers only trembling slightly as she did so). After a few attempts she managed to left them both in, Inu-Yasha absorbing everything around him with a keen eye as Brandy lit her kerosene lamps and a candle or two.

It was a cozy, cramped little place- the kitchen in the corner was bursting with copper pans and bowls, a tiny wooden table, and an aged black stove. Surrounding that miniscule section were countless rickety wooden book cases, each stuffed to the bursting point with an insane numbers of books. The floor was cluttered with do-dads and nick-knacks, and there was one squishy armchair in the middle of it all. Off to the side, a small staircase led up to the bedroom- a room that Inu casually commented that he'd love to see. Kagome only shot him a dry, though amused, glare in response.

"Nice place you've got here," he told her honestly as she bustled around the kitchen, taking out teacups and a kettle. He sauntered over to one of the bookcases, helping himself to a red covered volume. "Where did you get these? Books are expensive." He examined the spine in the moonlight that filtered through the only two windows, one on each side of the door.

"My father left me most of this," she shrugged, pulling out random jars and cans, adding `a bit of this' and `a little of that' to the boiling water on the stove. "He had collected quite a bit, during his. . . travels."

"I see. . ." he murmured thoughtfully, flipping through the aging pages. "Ah. Poetry fan, are you?"

"Is there a problem?" Kagome asked a bit testily, though she winked to show him she was only joking around.

"Not at all, not at all," he defended himself, accepting the tea she offered him with a grateful thanks. "I just don't see you as the heart-eyed-poetry-reading type, what with you hating most men and all."

"What? I don't hate most men," she objected, taking a sip from her cup and sitting in the chair. "Just sailors."

"You're going to have a bit of trouble finding anything but sailors in this town, love."

Kagome colored slightly at the nickname, though she was quite used to other men calling her as such. "Humph. Well, I never asked you."

He shrugged with a slight smirk and sat himself down on the edge of her chair. "Ooo, here's a nice sappy one. `Because She Would Ask Me Why I Loved Her'. Coulda cut the title down a bit. . ."

"Don't make fun!" Kagome frowned at him. "That's my favorite poem!"

"Oh?" he shot her a sly look, before holding the book out before him and throwing his other hand into the air. "If questioning would make us wise

No eyes would ever gaze in eyes! (He gasped, seemingly horrified.)

If all our tales were told in speech,


No mouths would wander each to each! (He made show of puckering his lips and smacking them loudly.)" Leaning a bit closer to Kagome, he fluttered his eyelashes as she giggled, elbowing him playfully and whapping his shoulder. "Were spirits freeeeeee from mortal mesh

And love not BOUND in hearts of flesh," he sighed dramatically, placing a hand upon his chest and slipping off the edge of the chair, into Kagome's side. "No aching breasts would yearn to meet


And find their ecstasy complete," he whispered huskily as he turned slightly, shifting a bit so his back was against the chair, his legs still over the edge, and one arm around Kagome. When he was comfortable he continued, "Shakespearean" as ever (as Kagome tried not to laugh when he discretely tickled her). "For who is there that lives and knows

The secret powers by which he grows?

Were knowledge all, what were our need

To thrill and faint and sweetly bleed?" He blinked. "Is there such thing as sweetly bleedi- - - ? Ow! Ow! Not the pillow! Anything but the pillow! Fine, fine, I'll just read!"

"Thank you," Kagome beamed, putting down her crocheted weapon.

"Where was I? Oh, yes- - - Then seek not, sweet, the "if" and "why"

I love you now. . . until I die. . ."

He paused slightly, then shook his head and continued; though he was much less wild. Quite frankly, he was suddenly all-out serious.

"For I must love because I live. . .

And life in me is what you give."

. . .

"Urm. . . see?" Kagome cleared her throat a moment later; a smile still glued upon her lips. "Isn't it a beautiful poem?"

"Hm? Oh. Yes. . . Yes, it's lovely," he smiled back, before gently closing the book and patting its cover appreciatively. "It's very nice."

". . . Do you have any favorite poems?" she then inquired, feeling an air of discomfort form around them.

"Yes, in fact. I do." He chuckled softly and ran his fingers through his hair, tugging gingerly when he encountered snarls. "I do. . ."

"Can I hear some of it, please?" she pressed, peering into his eyes. He seemed to be focusing on something else, something far away. . . But before she could say anything, he started to speak.

". . . How old is my heart, how old, how old is my heart,

And did one ever go forth with song when the morn was new?

I seem to have trod on many ways: I seem to have left

I know not how many homes; and to leave each

Was still to leave a portion of mine own heart,

Of my old heart whose life I had spent to make that home

And all I had was regret, and a memory.

So I sit and muse in this wayside harbor and wait

Till I hear the gathering cry of the ancient winds and again

I must up and out and leave the embers of the hearth

And see the road stretch pale before me:

Again

My garments and my home shall be the enveloping winds

And my heart be fill'd wholly with their old pitiless cry."

. . .

Kagome swallowed, all humor gone as tears once again welling up in her eyes. `Inu-Yasha. . .' She gingerly reached out and touched his shoulder, trying to wake him from his trance. At first it seemed to do no good, but after a moment he returned- the thoughtful sheen over his honey colored orbs disappearing.

"Please, don't go. . ." she begged, a single pearl drop trickling down her pale cheek. He grinned weakly at her, shaking his head as he gently smeared her tear away with his thumb.

". . . I'm sorry," he whispered, trying to be gentle but only succeeding in stoking her irritation.

But he had always told the truth


Lord, he was an honest man

With that, he got to his feet and headed towards the entrance, leaving his unfinished tea on the floor. "I better get going." Slowly pushing the creaky door open, he suddenly seemed to remember something and turn around. Her book- he still had it in his hands. He held it out for her, expecting her to take it, but she simply shook her head.

"Just keep it," she instructed a bit more harshly than she had intended, still frozen on the plushy chair.

. . .

He smiled at her and nodded his thanks.

"See you tomorrow, love."

". . . Bye," she choked as he closed the door, leaving her in the darkness with nothing but her books, thoughts, and a growing realization to keep her company. Burying her face in armrest, she curled into a ball around the crochet pillow and she started to cry- releasing all her frustration, anger, sadness, and disbelief as that growing realization sunk in:

`I'm. . . I'm in love. . .'

And Brandy does her best to understand!

I'm in love with Inu-Yasha.'

---

XD Hope you all enjoyed. Remember- I promise a 100% happy ending to this story! Just a little drama right now, kay? (-:

Anybob, those two poems are both by a wonderfully talented author named Christopher Brennan. The first, as mentioned in the story, is called `Because She Would Ask Me Why I Loved Her,' one of my favorite poems of all time. The other is a small section from his very long poem `The Wanderer.'

Well, thanks again for reading! Please R&R, and I promise to try and update this story (and Early December) very soon! (-;

Ja ne!

PS. Miroku and Sango doing their little `Piano Man' duet is dedicated to all those who asked for it. XD I can SO see them doing that, can't you? (-;