InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Messes ❯ Smiling Strangers ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

“Hmm, they sure are taking a long time!” muttered Sano to Kenshin. “I'm going to see if I can find them. . .”
“Just don't get lost!” Kenshin smiled.
Sano snorted and walked off, following the trail of broken twigs and flattened grass. He stopped at the well and looked down, munching on his fish bone. There was a whooshing sound from below. “You fell into a hole! Shoulda known! Tch.”
There was no answer.
Sighing, Sano dropped down into the well, only to find it empty. “Okay. . .”
He climbed back out and heard what sounded like a stampede. “Now what are those brats getting themselves into?” he muttered to himself. He started to walk towards the sound of the chaos until, shock of all shocks, charging straight at him was none other than Aoshi, followed closely by Miroku and then. . .woah. He turned with them and off they went.
`Where on earth is Misao?!? Oh God, don't let her get hurt, Please!' thought Aoshi as he ran, duly noting Sanosuke's sudden presence, and wondering what he thought of this mess. Probably something that could be described with his more colourful vocabulary. He inwardly sighed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
Kenshin and Saito had been having a staring contest for a while now. Kenshin wanted to go and look for the missing Kenshingumi members, while Saito thought that getting more people lost was *not* a good idea. So on they stared.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
“What was that?!?” said Misao suddenly. Okita prickled slightly.
“Dunno. But it's coming this way!” answered Yahiko. Okita put his hand on the hilt of his sword. He would have to protect these children if anything really bad was coming. . .like last time. . . Indeed, it would seem that it was more demons. He sighed. What the hell....
Then they were on them, swept into the flurry like rocks jutting out of the ocean during high tide. Okita sword flashed out, but he was shocked when the first demon to reach them went down with a kunai sticking boldly out of it's forehead. Beside him Misao was a darting in and out, sticking and throwing, never stopping, and Yahiko was about to dive in with his cane sword. Okita blinked. Who knew these kids would be good fighters? Oh well, time to jump in. And he did.
`He's as fast as Kenshin!' thought Yahiko, suddenly feeling guilty for thinking that *anyone* was a good as Kenshin. `Well, I guess Kenshin did say that they had fought and both left with their lives, which would mean Okita would have been a *really* good swordsman. I wonder if he remembers my father, he was in his unit. . .' he unconsciously grimaced. He didn't want to think about that.
In a few more seconds, all the surrounding demons where dead or wounded badly.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
`Over there! That was Misao! And there is Yahiko! But who is that?!?' thought Aoshi, trying to make his way over to help them. `Whoever it is is *good*! Kuso! I can't get over there!' Aoshi was quickly swept away by the wave of demons, whipping his swords out every time one came too close. Beside him, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Sano punching out one unfortunate demon after another, and behind him the monk was swinging his staff like a weapon, and making good use of it too. He tried to signal them to show them where the others were, but they were too busy and soon he lost sight of Misao and the others. He cursed under his breath, hoping that the mystery fighter was as good as he appeared.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
“Still think we shouldn't go look for them?” asked Kaoru dryly.
“Yes.” answered Saito, never taking his eyes off Kenshin's.
“It's getting late, and I'm tired. . .” Kaoru said, stifling a yawn. She leaned onto Kenshin, who looked a bit startled at this, but didn't break his glare.
“We should go look for them.” he said.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
“Where *are* we?” asked Sano to Aoshi.
Aoshi shrugged.
“Okay. . .Then who is he?” asked Sano.
“Miroku.” said Miroku. “And you are. . ?”
“Sagara Sanosuke.” answered Sagara Sanosuke. “Where are we?”
“Mmm. . not really sure of that myself. . .” said a very unconcerned Miroku.
“Great.” muttered Aoshi, starting to go back towards the direction that they had come. Unfortunatly, that wasn't quite where he thought it was, and the trio ended up marching off into the wrong direction.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
“We're going after them.” stated Kenshin.
“What kind of idiot could get themselves so profoundly lost so quickly?” snorted Saito.
“So that means you're going to help?” asked Kaoru with mild exasperation.
“Fine.”
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
“You're really good.” said Yahiko in a business-like tone.
“Thank you.” answered Okita, donning smile.
“Wow. Somehow that smile just creeps me out.” stated Misao. “With sorta makes sense seeing as the only other person I've ever seen with it was trying to kill Himura. . . .”
“Who is Seta Soujiro, anyway?” asked Yahiko.
“One of Shishio's Juppon Gatana. He's really good, but no one's as good as Himura, except Aoshi-sama, of course.” said Misao, back on her favorite subject. Yahiko rolled his eyes.
Okita, meanwhile, was having a mental argument with himself. (No way. No way. Himura. . .Kenshin? The Himura Kenshin? As in Hitokiri Battousai?!? But that outfit she's wearing. . .)
“Are you Oniwabanshu?” asked Okita in a conversational tone, smile plastered.
“Uh, yeah.”
(But the Oniwabanshu are against the Ishin Shishi! They're guarding the castle! There is NO WAY that this girl would be associated. . .HEYWAITAMOMENT! AOSHI?!? AS IN SHINOMORI AOSHI THE OKASHIRA OF THE ONIWABANSHU?!?)
“I'm a little confused.” stated Okita. (Just a little. . .)
 
“About what?” asked Misao.
He didn't answer for a second, then raised his eyebrows just a little higher and said, “Well, it would seem that you're talking about The Hitokiri Battousai and Shinomori Aoshi, but. . .they. . .are. . .trying to kill each other? ”
Yahiko and Misao exchanged glances.
“Yeah. . .” started Yahiko, “They were. . in the Bakumatsu. . .which was ten years ago. .”
“But Himura's really nice!” defended Misao. “I mean, you wouldn't believe that he'd ever kill anyone. . .”
“Okay. . .and you said something about Saito. . ?” said a confused Okita.
“Yeah, that bastard is working for the government now . .” said Yahiko.
“So. . the Ishin Shishi won . .?”
They nodded in unison.
(Shit. Oh well, we all knew it was doomed.) “But then Saito. . .”
“He hates the government, actually. . I think everyone hates the government. . but he thinks, I think, that he needs to . . .er. . .rid the government of bad people. . .” said Misao slowly.
“And there's no shortage of those!” snorted Yahiko.
“Okay.” said Okita, smiling. “I guess that sort of makes sense. . .If the Revolution succeeded. .He would still wish to uphold the ideals of the Shinsengumi. . .”
Silence. . .
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
“Hmm. It seem that they fell into the well, but. . .” said Kenshin, peering into the darkness. He jumped down with grace. From deep in the well his voice drifted out. “Hey, Saito, come tell me what you make of this.”
“You want me to jump down a well.” said Saito, annoyed.
“Yes, please.”
Saito sighed and followed Kenshin with equal grace. All sound from that end stopped. Kaoru looked down. “Uh, guys?” No answer.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
Kagome looked at the sun. It was getting late, and they didn't know where Miroku was.
“Damn monk.” muttered Inu Yasha.
“Inu Yasha! He could be in trouble or something! And I've got to go home now for Sota's birthday party! What if something terrible happened!” wailed Kagome.
“Miroku can take care of himself!” answered Inu Yasha. “He doesn't need a nanny.”
Sweat drops all around. “I think I need to be going myself. . .Kaede is waiting for me.” said Sango.
“Right. Bye then Sango! Bye everyone!” said Kagome, still not consoled.
“Hmph.” (guess who.)
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
“Uh, guys?!? This isn't funny!” said Kaoru, still peering down the hole. There was a thump, and she saw movement down in the well. “Uh, Kenshin?”
“Hello?” answered a voice. Not Kenshin.
“Misao?”
“Uh, no. One second, I'm coming up.”