InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mikata ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hi folks. I got this short idea while watching an Inuyasha episode (take a guess which one). Since it's been a while since I've written anything other than essays for school, I thought I'd try my hand at a little something. Although I'm not much of a Kikyo fan I thought for a change, I'd tell things from her viewpoint-hence the title. Anyway, please overlook any storyline eccentricities. I got the dialogue right, but things don't happen in the correct order. Eh. Thanks, and enjoy. Oh yeah, insert legal property rights jargon here.

Mikata

It was always a struggle against time. I defy time simply by existing. It wasn't much of an existence. My cursed reincarnation held all but a part of my soul, and I survived by leeching off the souls of dead women. It was pathetic. I was pathetic. If I had ever been in this position while alive, I would have turned a blade against my chest without hesitation. To live. To constantly feel the pull of Hell, yet walk the earth in eternal unrest.

Inuyasha stood in front of me, eyes closed with a peaceful expression upon his face. Silvery white hair drifted around us as the earth crackled and sank. He was hypnotized by me, and I felt a small smile play at my lips. My hatred and love for the hanyou disgusted me, yet I craved his presence.

Revenge. Hatred and loathing for an untimely death. The emotions ripped at me, each leaving claw marks at the piece of soul contained in my heart.

Hell had opened its gates. Its wind caressed us both, weakening my grasp of Inuyasha's unconscious. I felt his push, and suddenly it was too much. The soul stealers holding my weak reflection loosened. The girl was yelling at me, screaming at me to stop, to leave Inuyasha alone. Her words were meaningless, but one name stuck out.

Naraku. It was familiar, but unimportant. What did I care if someone other than Inuyasha had struck my death blow? I was still dead, and Inuyasha's company would be my compensation.

"I'm telling you, hands off him!" Something pulsed, and my soul-stealers drifted up to join the others circling around the old tree. The piece of soul lodged in my heart twisted, and I could not restrain from giving the girl a fearful glance. Her familiar face was twisted into a scowl, and her eyes burned into mine.

She was strong. The miko power in her blood was strong, but she was still untrained. The burning sensation in my chest deepened, and I clutched at the spot.

"Unnhh…" Inuyasha's eyes slowly opened. I saw myself reflected amid the confusion. Panic. Bewilderment.

"Inuyasha!" Realization. His golden eyes snapped to the spot where the girl sat, and then back to me. I was lost then. In that moment, I knew he would never willingly follow me. It was all for that damned girl, or nothing at all.

I felt tears welling up, and forced them back. "Does that girl mean more to you than I do?" As the words left my lips, I found the question rhetorical as his eyes slid to her form once again.

Have you already forgotten me, Inuyasha?

I did not wish to know. Every word from him was a lie, a denial of the awkward love for which we had both died.

The soul-catchers descended around me as the gates of Hell swung slowly shut once again. Its pull lessened somewhat, and I fully released Inuyasha. Let him be. My pathetic reincarnation was still yelling as I sunk into the soil.

___

I resurfaced outside the limit of Inuyasha's keen senses. It would not do to have him find me so soon after our latest encounter. The night transformed the land around me into unfamiliar territory. Moonlight cast on the long grasses gave the illusion of walking on a glowing sea.

The warm night, quiet and peaceful might have given me some comfort while alive, but I drew no comfort now. Two soul-stealers kept pace with me, yet I walked with no destination in mind. All I desired for was to be alone, a disagreeable state for which I had often sought Inuyasha's presence during my life.

Memory of the burning within my soul brought me to a stop. It would be wise to avoid the girl in future confrontations. Her skills were no match for mine, but the larger portion of our soul belonged to her, feeding the miko power I was unable to match.

Wind whispered at my back, stirring long strands of hair around my knees. My two faithful soul-stealers hovered uncertainly above me, waiting for dismissal. I nodded once to them, watching as the glowing bodies lifted and disappeared over the treetops.

For a moment, the world stood silent, and I was almost able to pretend that all was peaceful. The emotion triggered a memory, and I resumed my pace-this time in the direction of my younger sister's home. Perhaps she would have information on this Naraku. If he was truly the cause of my death, I would hunt him, and have my revenge.

Revenge, and then death. For Naraku, for myself and Inuyasha. That foolish Kagome will give me back my soul, and I will finally be able to rest.

Kaede's hut came into view as I came to the top of a slight hill. The light of her cooking fire still shone brightly, and I set out towards it.

Soon enough I will be free of this offensive body. Task completed, no being will ever be able to recall my spirit. Until then, how long will I be forced to wander this earth?