InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mind Reader ❯ Surprise Visitor ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mind Reader
 
Chapter 24: Surprise Visitor
oOoOoOoOoOo
 
Miroku and Sango jumped when they heard the piercing cry of `INUYASHA!' disrupt the calm morning air. Which is now the not-so-calm morning air.
 
“So are you thinking that Kouga came back?” asked Miroku.
 
“Appears so,” answered Sango. “Wonder what he did wrong?” she asked without thinking.
 
Miroku got a lecherous grin on his face. “I think it's safe to say mpf!”
 
As soon as Sango saw that grin she slapped her hand over his mouth. “You know what?” she said. “I really don't want to AIEEE!”
 
Sango jumped about ten feet in the air…backwards…and landed on Sesshoumaru. The demon lord yelped in surprise, after all, he had been sleeping. He grumpily pushed Sango off of him.
 
“Just what is it with you two and disrupting people when they are trying to sleep? If you want to play, go somewhere else.”
 
Sango's jaw hit the floor. She couldn't believe the ever stoic demon suggested that she and Miroku were `playing'. She accredited it to the fact that he was still half asleep. Who'd have ever thought the great Sesshoumaru was half delirious when he was tired?
 
“We were not playing!” said Sango, her face bright red. “That stupid monk had…” she trailed off.
 
“If he did nothing that what are you screeching for? Your voice really isn't all that pleasant to wake up to,” said Sesshoumaru tiredly.
 
Sango replied by hitting Sesshoumaru on the head. “Just shut up and go back to sleep you idiot.”
 
“That's what I've been trying to do for the past five minutes. But unfortunately you and the monk won't let me.”
 
Sango gave Sesshoumaru a withering glare before stalking over to Miroku who had done nothing since she screamed in surprise.
 
“My lovely Sango, would you like to continue playing?” he asked with a wiggle of his eyebrows.
 
“What did you do that for?” she demanded in a whisper.
 
“I merely kissed your palm, I didn't think your reaction would be quite so…vocal,” he replied, searching for a word that wouldn't get him in trouble. He had originally planned on using insane, but decided that would give her a reason to hit him, whether it be a good reason or not. “Was it really that bad?”
 
Sango was stared at him. Now that she thought about it, it really wasn't bad. She had overreacted just a little bit. She really screamed because the kiss had shocked her. It was actually kind of a nice feeling now that she thought about it. But there was no way she could tell Miroku that. “I'm going to go see what happened,” she responded before hurriedly exiting the hut.
 
Miroku grinned at her retreating back. “Yup,” he said to himself, “she liked it.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
Kouga gingerly lifted his head off the ground. He looked up to see Inuyasha stalking towards him. He groaned to himself. Just what had he done to deserve this?
 
Of course! Kagome is angry because I never told her good bye before I left! Poor girl, she missed me.
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed. “Oh Inuyasha!” she called out.
 
WHAM!
 
Inuyasha turned around to look at her. “What?” he said between clenched teeth.
 
“Inuyasha don't worry about beating Kouga up. It's much too early to be fighting Inuyasha. Come back here Inuyasha. Are you hungry Inuyasha? I think we should start breakfast Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha smirked at Kagome. He never realized he could love her saying his name so much. He wished to hear it some more. “What was that Kagome?” he asked.
 
Kagome joined in Inuyasha's smirk. “Oh Inuyasha, why don't you pay attention? I've told you before Inuyasha to always pay attention. You have ears Inuyasha, use them. You know what Inuyasha? I forgot what I said. I feel so silly Inuyasha.”
 
Kouga silently prayed for his torture to end. It was taking all of his willpower to not start yelling at both Inuyasha and Kagome. But he figured he had already hurt Kagome enough by leaving without telling her. But…he could still yell at the hanyou.
 
Sango groaned as she neared her three friends. She had heard Kagome say `Inuyasha' no less than ten times now. She actually felt sorry for Kouga. And with how stubborn Kagome tended to be she knew that count could quickly rise.
 
Kagome saw Sango nearing her and smiled innocently at her friend. “Good morning Sango! What brings you out here?”
 
I couldn't let Miroku know what that kiss did to me, but she doesn't need to know that.
 
“Oh, I heard you scream so I came out to make sure everything was all right.”
 
“Thank you for your concern Sango, but everything is just fine out here. We were just greeting Kouga, right Inuyasha?” replied Kagome with a grin on her face.
 
Sango sighed and walked over to Kouga. She grabbed one of his arms and started dragging him back to the hut.
 
Kouga looked up in surprise. “What are you doing?” he asked. “Why are you dragging me?”
 
Sango glanced down at the wolf demon. “I'm dragging your sorry ass to Kaede's hut so Kagome doesn't try and split Japan in half by continually Inuyasha-ing you.”
 
Kouga pouted. “Do you know how embarrassing this is for a demon to be dragged by a human?”
 
Sango looked back. “Hey Kagome! Are you and Inuyasha hungry?”
 
Kagome's eyes lit up. “Of course me and Inuyasha are hungry! Inuyasha is always hungry. Aren't you Inuyasha?”
 
Kouga glared at the demon exterminator. “Drag away,” he growled.
 
Sango smiled at the disgruntled wolf and dragged him into the hut.
 
Inuyasha finally calmed down once the wolf was out of his sight. “Were you and Sango serious about breakfast?”
 
Maybe they'll make some ramen. Ramen in good.
 
Kagome sighed. It didn't take much to get Inuyasha to change his train of thought. All it took was the mention of food. “Yeah come on. I think I have some ramen my backpack.”
 
Wow, it's like she can read my mind! She knew I would want ramen!
 
Kagome shook her head and walked back into the hut. She could already tell this was going to be a long day.
 
oOoOoOoOoOoOo
 
After a fine breakfast of chicken flavored ramen Sango and Kaede went to work on mending the still unconscious Kirara. The cat demon's body was still almost completely bandaged up, but her condition had stabilized. Now all it would take is time, clean bandages, and herbs to completely heal her. While they worked Shippo and Rin played in a corner with Shippo's tops. And Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru had a silently agreed to staring contest. Both of them had eyes that were beginning to glaze over. But of course neither one could give in to the other.
 
Kouga and Miroku glanced at each other. As one they stood up. Kouga walked to Inuyasha and Miroku walked to Sesshoumaru. They took in deep breaths.
 
“AKKI!”
 
“PANTIES!”
 
Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru both jumped ten feet in the air when the other two screamed in their ears. Kouga broke down in laughter. Kagome and Sango stared at Miroku.
 
Oh crap, what made me say that?
 
“Panties?” questioned Kagome, her expression clearly saying `you better have a good explanation for this.'
 
Miroku laughed nervously. “It happened to be the first thing that popped into my mind to yell.”
 
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
 
“Why would that be the first thing?” asked Sango dangerously.
 
Must think of something to get them off my back.
 
“Oh…uh…I enjoy wearing panties sometimes,” he stammered out. At the expressions he got from the guys he quickly managed a `bye' and then left the hut in a flash.
 
When the door slammed shut not a sound was heard. Everyone in the hut looked from one person to another. That was completely unexpected.
 
Kouga broke the silence. “Um, did you guys know that?”
 
“Hell no!” answered Inuyasha. “Shut, I wish I still didn't know that.”
 
Oh damn, and a couple days ago he asked if I patted his butt! And now he says he's wearing panties. Maybe he got a side glance from Akki and is now confused about his sexuality.
 
Sango snickered under her breath.
 
That's the best he could come up with? Wearing panties? Heheh, he's never going to live this one down. I almost feel sorry for him.
 
Sesshoumaru continued to lounge against the wall. “Can someone please inform me again of why I am still you? You are all a bunch of fools.”
 
Kagome smiled. “You need a reason? All right. Beg. That's your reason.”
 
Sesshoumaru glared at the floor of the hut. “That's not quite the reason I was thinking of,” he grumbled.
 
“It wasn't?” said Kagome in feigned surprise. “Oh well, but I guess it will have to do, huh?”
 
Sesshoumaru slowly sat back up. He crossed his arms and reclined once more against the wall. He glanced at Inuyasha. “Oh yes dear brother, I won.”
 
Inuyasha jerked his head to Sesshoumaru. “What?!” he sputtered out. “There's no way you won! I saw you blink first!”
 
Kouga laughed. “Oh no dog breath, your brother definitely won. There was no way you won that staring contest.”
 
Inuyasha spun to Kouga. “Who said anything about wanting your opinion anyways? If Sesshoumaru sat there with his eyes closed you would still say he won.”
 
“That's because you would probably be sleeping,” remarked Sesshoumaru.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes at Sango. Sango grinned and slightly nodded her head. Kagome smiled back.
 
“Inuyasha? I beg you to sit.”
 
After three successful crashes Sesshoumaru raised his head. “That sentence came out too naturally. Just how long were you waiting to use that?” he coolly asked.
 
Inuyasha and Kouga also raised their heads. They also were interested in the answer.
 
Kagome smiled. “Guess you'll never know.”
 
Shit, what is she doing here?
 
Kagome spun her head to the doorway. She was sure that was Miroku's thought. And she also positive that he had to have been thinking of it very strongly to have had it enter her mind when she couldn't even see him. She looked to the two demons and hanyou. “Do you guys smell anything unusual?” she asked.
 
Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow. “Smell? Why would you ask such a weird question?”
 
Damn, I didn't have a chance.
 
Kagome made up her mind. She quickly grabbed her bow and arrows and left the hut. Everyone stared at the swinging door in surprise.
 
“Shit!” shouted Inuyasha jumping up and surprising everyone.
 
“Uh Inuyasha? What's wrong?” asked Sango.
 
Inuyasha jerked a thumb toward Kaede who was still tending to Kirara. “The old hag has so many damn herb scents floating around this hut it managed to mask everything from outside.”
 
“I resent that comment,” said Kaede while flinging some herb juice at Inuyasha.
 
“Well what is it?” pressed Kouga.
 
“Use your damn nose,” snarled Inuyasha before rushing out of the hut.
 
“Well, Kagome, Inuyasha, and Miroku are out there. Whatever it is I'm going to help,” said Sango before grabbing hiraikotsu and following her friends.
 
Kouga sniffed the air carefully. His eyes darkened and without a word he ran out of the hut.
 
Sesshoumaru regally stood up. After commanding Rin to stay in the hut he too left.
 
When Kagome got outside she looked frantically around her. All she knew was that Miroku needed help but she had no idea where he was. At the sound of a slamming door she turned her head to see Inuyasha joining her.
 
“Follow me,” he said before taking off for the other side of the village.
 
Sango got outside in time to see Kagome disappearing around the corner of the hut. She shouldered hiraikotsu to make it easier to run and went after her friend.
 
In less than three minutes they reached the other side of the village. At the edge of the river they saw the kneeling figure of Miroku. He was leaning heavily on his staff and blood dripped down the side of his head. His robe was ripped and tattered and the edges of the rips were rimmed with fresh blood.
 
Sango gasped and without any heed as to who caused this ran to the injured monk.
 
“Inuyasha?” questioned Kagome.
 
Before he could reply Kouga ran out from between the huts and slid to a halt.
 
“Where is she!” screamed Kouga in rage, his fists clenched tightly as his sides and his eyes blazing with rage.
 
Only one enemy could get this much of a reaction out of Kouga. “Kagura,” said Kagome softly
 
Inuyasha tensely nodded as his eyes, ears, and nose were alert for any sign of the wind demoness.
 
Sesshoumaru joined them a minute later.
 
“I see you took your time,” growled Inuyasha.
 
Sesshoumaru shrugged his shoulders. “I could tell no fighting was going on so there was no rush to get here.”
 
“You scared to fight again?” sneered Inuyasha.
 
Sesshoumaru rolled his eyes at his hanyou brother. “Oh yes, terrified,” he dryly replied.
 
“I grow tired of your petty argument,” said a calm voice from the other side of the river.
 
Everyone looked to see the outline of Kagura as she exited the woods and made herself known.
 
“You bitch,” growled Kouga. “It's time for you to finally die!”
 
“No way! She's mine,” said Inuyasha.
 
“Yours? She didn't kill your friends and clan members! You have no right to take this kill away from me!”
 
“I have plenty of right to take the kill away from you. You're just a wimpy wolf, there's no way you could kill Kagura, you would wind up getting killed.”
 
Kagome rubbed her forehead. “Inuyasha…”
 
CRASH!
 
“Damn it,” growled Kouga.
 
What was that? She said Inuyasha…and the wolf fell.
 
“Sorry Kouga,” said Kagome sheepishly.
 
“What?” snapped Inuyasha. He was itching for a fight.
 
“I don't think Kagura is here for a fight,” said Kagome.
 
Tell that to me.
 
Kagome gave Miroku a sidelong glance. “I'm guessing Kagura attacked Miroku because first, he was alone, and second, it would give her the advantage when the rest of us came out because one of our friends would be hurt so we would be cautious and wouldn't attack right away. Which would give her time to say she just wanted to tell us something.”
 
The girl is surprisingly intuitive. No wonder Naraku fears her.
 
`He fears me?' wondered Kagome in surprise. `Well, that's interesting to know.'
 
“And what makes you think of something as stupid as that?” said Inuyasha.
 
Kagome sighed. “Inuyasha…”
 
CRASH!
 
“Will you stop saying that cursed name!” growled Kouga.
 
Kagome stomped her foot in annoyance. “It's his name Kouga! I can't just stop saying it! It comes out without even thinking of it.”
 
Kouga rested his head on one hand and drummed the other's fingers on the ground. “Well think of something else to call him,” he crossly replied. “Like I do. Puppy. Dog breath. Or even just dummy, stupid, or idiot. Anything but his name.”
 
Kagome kicked some loose dirt at the disgruntled wolf than turned her attention back to Kagura. “What do you want?” she shouted.
 
“I have come to deliver a message to your pathetic group.”
 
She better not be including me in this pathetic group.
 
Kagome sighed. If someone could hear Sesshoumaru's complaining one would think they forced him to join them and were now keeping him hostage. He seemed to have conveniently forgotten the fact that he had volunteered, no, practically thrown himself, into their group.
 
“What is this message?” asked Kagome.
 
Maybe it's to warn Miroku against groping other girls.
 
Kagome almost lost it with that thought from Sango. She bit her lip to keep from laughing.
 
“Naraku wants your group to meet him.”
 
“You mean him and Akki,” replied Kagome.
 
Kagura smirked. “Will you come?”
 
“Of course!” shouted Inuyasha. “It's about time that bastard died!”
 
“Inu…you're not helping,” said Kagome.
 
“Inu?” replied Inuyasha. “You're going to call me Inu?”
 
“Why not puppy?” mumbled Kouga.
 
Kagome ignored both of them. “When and where?” she asked.
 
“Two days from now. The location is the demon exterminator's village. I believe you know where that is,” said Kagura cruelly.
 
Sango gasped sharply. Naraku just had to pick that place. “That bastard,” she whispered.
 
Miroku smiled gently. He took one of her hands and squeezed it gently.
 
Sesshoumaru spoke up. “That won't work.”
 
Kagura glared at him. “What are you talking about?”
 
Sesshoumaru gave Kagura a cool look. “You can tell Naraku that we shall meet there. But we shall be there in two days. Your group cannot go there until the third day.”
 
Kagura sneered. “That's it? You want an extra day to plan an attack on us? You truly are pathetic. But we shall give it to you. On the third day we shall come. You can have your extra day, it won't do you any good though.”
 
Seeing how Sesshoumaru was finished Kagome took over once again. “Is that the only reason you came?”
 
In reply Kagura removed a feather from her hair. “Naraku wanted me to deliver the message and so I have done as he wished.”
 
Inuyasha narrowed his eyes and tensed his muscles.
 
Kagura jumped onto her feather and smirked. “This however, is from me.” She quickly unclasped her fan and unleashed a ferocious gale of wind at the group. Without a second glance she sped away.
 
Inuyasha reacted immediately. He scooped Kagome up and jumped away to safety. Kouga quickly ran off as well. Sango saw the attack and shielded Miroku's body with her own. She wouldn't leave Miroku at the mercy of another attack. She braced herself for the impact but it never came. She saw the attack rush around her, but she wasn't hit once. She cautiously turned around to see Sesshoumaru blocking her and Miroku from the attack.
 
His back took the brunt of the attack. His eyes were narrowed but he didn't make a sound.
 
When the attack stopped he looked down at the surprised humans. In reply to their awestruck stared he rolled his eyes. “Excuse me for helping you. Now make sure you stare at me like I just sprouted a third eyeball,” he sarcastically said.
 
Sango quickly averted her gaze. Miroku however grinned. He unsteadily rose to his feet and punched Sesshoumaru on the shoulder. “Aww how sweet. Old Sesshy truly is just a big softie deep down.”
 
Oh hell no.
 
Sango quickly scooted away from the demon lord and the suicidal monk.
 
Sesshy? He's dead now.
 
Inuyasha let Kagome down and watched to see how Miroku would die.
 
Sesshy? Hah, that's great. Stupid, but great.
 
Kouga lounged against the outside wall of a hut. There was no way he would miss this.
 
Ses…Sess…Sessh…SESSHY! How dare he call me that! Who does he think he is? He must pay now. Yes, he shall pay dearly for saying that.
 
Without a word Sesshoumaru reached out one hand and gently pushed Miroku. Miroku fell to the ground as he was weakened from Kagura's attack on him.
 
Hmm, perhaps I shouldn't have called him Sesshy.
 
Sesshoumaru reached down and picked up several nice sized rocks.
 
Miroku's eyes widened and he quickly shielded his head with his arms.
 
Sesshoumaru took one rock in his free hand and threw it at Miroku.
 
“Who.”
 
Thump.
 
“Are.”
 
Thump.
 
“You.”
 
Thump.
 
“Calling.
 
Thump.
 
“SESSHY!”
 
THUMP!
 
At the word `Sesshy' Sesshoumaru had thrown all of the remaining rocks at Miroku. When Miroku felt like the attack was over he gingerly lowered his arms. Miraculously he knew not to push the demon lord further. “Sesshy? Why would I ever call you that? I think Kagura's attack on me hurt my head. I don't ever recall calling you Sesshy.”
 
The monk must be desperate. But I don't want to get on Sango's bad side. Women are evil when they're mad. It was hard enough just keeping my power in check when I was throwing the rocks. I don't need to be doing anything else to him…I'd probably wind up killing him. I better leave now.
 
“I better never hear that word again,” he growled before stalking back to Kaede's hut.
 
Sango walked over to Miroku. “What on earth possessed you to say something so incredibly stupid? I'm surprised he didn't kill you.” She bent down and slung one of Miroku's arms over her shoulders and helped him to his feet.
 
“To be honest, I don't know,” he truthfully replied. “I'm surprised all he did was throw rocks at me. And next time I try something like that please slap me before I am able to complete my thought.”
 
Sango grinned. “With pleasure,” she said before helping him back to the hut.
 
Kagome faced Inuyasha. “Thanks Inuyasha…”
 
CRASH!
 
“STOP SAYING HIS NAME!” shouted Kouga in anger.
 
Inuyasha kicked the subdued wolf in his side. “Don't you yell at Kagome like that.”
 
But you do it all the time. Damn, not the nagging voice again. Yes, I'm back. Well I don't have time for you so go away. Not until you admit it to me. Fine, I lover her, all right? Now will you finally go away? For now I will, but no promises on whether or not I'll stay away. Swell, just leave…Are you gone?…Finally?….YES!!!
 
“Kagome? Why are you grinning like a fool?” asked Inuyasha.
 
“You enjoy subduing me, don't you!” yelled Kouga.
 
“Oh yes, it turns me on,” replied Kagome dryly. She slapped her forehead.
 
Kouga's face lit up. “I turn you on?” he asked excitedly. “Score! Beat that dog turd! I turn my woman on!”
 
“She's not your woman,” replied Inuyasha automatically.
 
“Stupid wolf wouldn't know sarcasm if it came up and bit him in the ass,” grumbled Kagome to herself.
 
Unfortunately Kouga heard…the last five words. “Wow! She wants to bite my ass! That must mean something!”
 
Inuyasha's jaw dropped at Kouga's display of brilliance. He didn't know what his brother was talking about before. There was no way Kouga was smarter than him. Not a chance.
 
“What do you say we leave the wolf to his fantasies and get ready to leave?” suggested Inuyasha.
 
Kagome nodded in agreement. “I think that would be for the best. I don't want to hear whatever happens to come out of his mouth next.”
 
Kouga glared at both of them. “I'm right here you know. I can hear both of you very clearly.”
 
“Shall we?” said Inuyasha.
 
Kagome smiled and they left the wolf still sitting on the ground.
 
Kouga huffed in annoyance and stood up. “I'm still getting the feeling that they're mad at me over something. But I swear I didn't do anything wrong. Hmm…maybe Kagome meant she wanted me to bite her ass? Or kick Inuyasha's ass? Or maybe that I have a hot ass? So many possibilities, all of which are good. I don't care what she said in the hut when she was unconscious, she's still my woman. I shall get her yet. I'm sure of it.”