InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Mood Swings ❯ A Slight Clarification ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Inuyasha & co. belong to the illustrious Rumiko Takahashi.  I do not profit from these fics.
 
Chapter 4 - A Slight Clarification (green)
 
Sesshoumaru was now certain that there was something wrong with the ring. Her demonstration the day before was anything but calm and relaxed. There was no mistaking it for anything other than outright pissed off. He was mentally stewing in anger at the failure of his plan. The witch would pay when he got his hands on her.
 
They'd made camp just as she'd declared and not long afterwards the hanyou had disappeared without a word and had yet to return. It seemed like everyone in the camp knew where Inuyasha was but him and finally the taiyoukai got tired of being the only one in the dark. When the slayer walked closer to where he sat, getting ready to prepare their afternoon meal, he spoke.
 
“Where has the half-breed gone that seems to have upset everyone so?” he asked while kicking himself for his uncontrollable curiosity.
 
Sango opened her mouth to answer, but the words came from the miko before she got out a sound.
 
“He went to see his precious Kikyo. He always does when we fight and I never know if he's going to come back.” Her voice was soft and sad, almost broken, and it was clear that she was worried and afraid of something.
 
“Of course he'll come back, Kagome,” Sango said soothingly.
 
“If the bitch doesn't kill him this time.”
 
Sesshoumaru frowned. The half-breed went to see the undead priestess? The one who'd pinned him to the tree for what should have been eternity?
 
“You can't think like that. He knows we need him.”
 
“Yeah,” Kagome said with a sharp nod, “and when he's with her he forgets all about us and the quest and everything but her. I'm just so tired of being abandoned so he can go spend time with the original instead of the copy. I don't know. Maybe I'll just go home. This copy could use a break from this era and everything in it.”
 
She ran her fingers through her hair and as she did Sesshoumaru noticed the bright green stone glowing from its place on her finger. He hadn't seen it green before and though he no longer believed the ring to have any accuracy whatsoever he still found it necessary to check the scroll.
 
Green meant that she was afraid, tired, and/or sad. For once the ring seemed to have hit the nail on the head, gotten it perfectly, but what did that mean? Did the ring work or not? It didn't make sense for it to be correct only part of the time. Maybe she was just that confusing. Maybe the ring had been right all along, but because her feelings were so complicated it could only select one of many emotions running through her at any given moment. It seemed that the witch had been given a stay of execution, for a while at least.
 
The taiyoukai watched as the little kitsune crept up beside the miko and nuzzled her arm gently. A smile slowly spread across Kagome's face and she turned slightly, pulling the kit into her lap and holding him snugly. Her hand burrowed into his fiery red hair and a small sigh escaped her.
 
Sesshoumaru looked over a Rin, seeing her twitching where she sat, as if she were itching to move. He rose silently and motioned for the little girl to follow as he walked out of camp, leading her a short distance away. When he stopped and Rin saw where he'd taken her, a small squeal of excitement escaped her.
 
“Rin,” he said softly, bending low so his voice did not carry. “Perhaps some flowers would help the miko feel better?” He said a few more things and the little girl nodded rapidly. He then stood and watched as she skipped around the meadow, picking fistfuls of bright, colorful flowers, every now and then coming over to where he stood and setting them near his feet before rushing out to gather more.
 
-
 
Kagome watched the taiyoukai disappear into the distance before looking at the little boy in her lap. “Shippo, have you noticed anything strange about Sesshoumaru lately?”
 
Her voice was hushed and the kitsune knew to keep his low as well as he replied. “What do you mean? He's been paying a lot of attention to you, but he always has, especially since he joined us.”
 
Kagome's brows furrowed in confusion. “Attention?”
 
“Yeah, he watches you a lot. I think Inuyasha noticed it too and that's why he's been so cranky and territorial.”
 
Kagome let out a short, bitter laugh. “Oh, yeah, Inuyasha is jealous and Sesshoumaru likes me. Sure, and I can walk through walls and move things with my mind.” Shippo gave her a confused look and she laughed again. “Inuyasha doesn't give a crap about me, Shippo. He just doesn't want anyone else to have me to find shards for them. And Sesshoumaru doesn't need or want shards, so why would he give a damn either? I'm no good to him.”
 
Shippo shook his head rather violently. “I don't think so, Kagome. No, Sesshoumaru doesn't want shards, but I think he might want you.” She gave the little kitsune a bewildered look. “What? I have eyes, ears, and a nose and they all work. He even gave you a present.” Shippo pulled her hand out of his hair and around in front of them both. He studied the ring closely for a moment before smiling brightly at her. “This isn't just any ring.”
 
“Yeah, I know. It's a mood ring. We have something like it in my time, only they're not magic. They work using body heat.”
 
“Well, this one is definitely magic and powerful too. It had to have cost Sesshoumaru a lot to have it made.”
 
“I figured he just bought it somewhere.”
 
“No, something like this is a one of a kind. He would have had to gather all the necessary supplies and then paid a powerful witch to make it. Why would he do that if he wasn't interested in you?”
 
“I still don't get it. Why a mood ring? Like it's hard to tell how I feel!”
 
Shippo laughed. “You can be a very confusing human, Kagome. You're a lot more complicated than most. I think he needed help understanding you. He's trying to figure you out. Maybe you should give him a chance. He's really not so bad. Better than Inuyasha anyway.”
 
Kagome smiled at the little fox. “You know more than you let on, don't you?”
 
The kit winked at her and turned his head, hearing Rin approaching. “Rin is coming back. I can't sense Sesshoumaru though.”
 
-
 
Rin stopped in front of Kagome with a bright smile. “Rin has a surprise for you,” she said before holding out a handful of flowers for the miko.
 
“Why thank you. They're beautiful,” Kagome said sweetly.
 
“That's not all,” the little girl said before leaning down and whispering in Kagome's ear. Kagome grinned and winked at Shippo who moved out of her lap so she could stand. Rin took the miko's hand and led her to the edge of the clearing, pointing at the ground. “Follow the flowers.”
 
Kagome gave her friends a curious look before shrugging her shoulders and doing just that, following the trail of flowers in front of her. She wondered just what in the world was going on. Sesshoumaru had left the clearing with Rin but he hadn't returned, and now this? She felt a little like Hansel and Gretel as she followed the path lain out before her with a smile.
 
-
 
She couldn't believe her eyes as she reached the end of the trail of flowers. Sesshoumaru stood at the edge of a steaming hot spring, holding her supplies with a sexy smirk on his face that made her shiver. She definitely didn't understand the guy, but maybe a little mystery was a good thing.
 
“What are you doing?” she asked hesitantly.
 
“This Sesshoumaru thought that a bath might raise your spirits.”
 
“How did you get my things?”
 
“A little kitsune brought them.”
 
“What is going on with you?”
 
His smirk widened. “Nothing is `going on' with this Sesshoumaru. I am simply concerned for your mental health. You are an important part of this pack.”
 
“You're lying through your pretty white fangs,” she teased, suddenly feeling quite playful. Whatever was going on with Sesshoumaru, she was beginning to enjoy it, especially if Shippo thought it was a good idea. She doubted that the fox kit would recommend anything that would end up with her being killed by the dog demon.
 
“Pretty?” he asked in an amused voice.
 
“You didn't know you were pretty? Oh, my. Well then I'll have to be the first to tell you. You have pretty fangs, pretty eyes, pretty markings, pretty hair…” she looked him up and down slowly. “Pretty everything.”
 
“I could say the same for you.” Kagome was tongue-tied by his compliment and simply stood staring as he approached slowly until he was nearly toe to toe with her. He leaned closer, allowing his breath to brush across her ear as he spoke. “Perhaps something is `going on' with this Sesshoumaru, but if it is I can assure you it is entirely your fault.”
 
Before she could blink, he was gone, leaving her holding her chest and panting for breath, his words successfully knocking the wind out of her. When she finally collected herself she looked around, seeing the circle of flower petals surrounding the steamy water's edge. She smiled as she extended her senses, checking the area for any would-be peepers before she began to undress. Who was she to let such a wonderfully romantic gift go to waste, even if it did confuse the hell out of her? Whatever had gotten into him, Kagome decided she liked it. Now she could only hope it stuck around.