InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Darling Emiko ❯ Father and Daughter's Past ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
They decided to take a break for lunch and Kagome brought out sandwiches for them all. Emiko laid back in the tall grass and closed her eyes as the sun hit her face. Okay, soul searching time she thought. I know I haven't gotten over Kigai's death...or the death of my pups, but it has been 30 years...why haven't I let it go? She knew the answer, she just wasn't willing to listen to it. She decided what she must do and sat up.

"Daddy, can I talk to you?" she asked.

Inuyasha looked at Kagome who nodded. "Yeah, come on" and they walked off from the group to be alone.

"What's that about?" Sango asked.

"She has something to tell him. Something that's been bothering her for years" Kagome said as she watched Emiko and Inuyasha disappear in the trees.

Emiko sat under a tree and motioned Inuyasha to do the same. "Is this about what you talked to Kagome about?" he asked and she nodded.

"Yeah, that and a little bit more." She proceeded to tell him what she had told Kagome, about Kigai, about the pups, about the youkai that killed them and almost killed her. He looked at her, his face impassive as she talked.

"After I left that place" she shuddered slightly "I came back here. You still wouldn't see me, you were still angry about me not wanting to marry yet. Funny thing that, I had already been married and yet you refused to listen to me. So I decided maybe I should take a trip. I left here and went to China. I was in China for...oh, about 5 years when I decided to go to India. From there I went to Russia, then I went to Italy. I stayed in Italy for a few years then went to the islands of Greece. From there I went to France, then I went to England. Ireland was nice as was Scotland. Nice and quiet. I lived in the highlands for 10 years before leaving there and going back to America. I went to the mountains in Colorado and lived there for the past oh, 5 years. Then I decided to see if I could talk to you one last time. When I got back, all you said is that if I planned to go back to help Mama and you that I had better go now, so I did. And that's the story so far"

She watched his face during this and though he was confused at the places she named, he knew what she meant. "I've been running from my own memories, trying to act like it never happened. Well, that's part of the reason why I came. I was asked by Mama to help one of her friends here. Silly thing is that you asked me to do the same thing shortly after she died. What irony that you both wanted this person alive" she said with a smile.

"Who is it?" Inuyasha asked.

Emiko just smiled. "Can't say, with me here, it may never happen. I'm here to make sure that that doesn't happen." He nodded and took her hand in his.

"I'm sorry for how I acted towards you. Even though I'm not sure of my reasoning. I will have to talk to you more when you get home" he said.

Emiko smiled at him and bowed her head. "Thank you" she said "for understanding."

"Well, that does explain a few things" he said

"Oh? Like what?"

"Well, you're wearing black. Kagome said it's a sign of mourning. But what I don't understand is why you insist on wearing...that TYPE of clothing"

Emiko started laughing at that. "Oh yea, I dress like this because it has always bothered you, and probably will always bother you. You hated it when I was younger, especailly when I was younger. And you hate it still, I'm sure."

He glared at her reasoning then chuckled softly. "You have the misfortune of being much like me." he said. "Are you going to be alright though?"

Emiko nodded. "Yeah, I think talking about it has helped put some of the ghosts to rest." She stood up. "Shall we join the others?" she asked and he nodded.

"You still haven't told me one thing though" he said.

"What?" she asked with a smile.

"What do you see in Miroku?"

Emiko laughed hard at that "I knew you would ask me that. But the trth is, nothing. And he sees nothing in me. We are good friends. Don't get me wrong, Miroku is a very nice guy, but he has his eye set on another...and so do I." Emiko blushed at that last part. Did she really mean to say that? Where did it come from?

"And that OTHER would be?" Inuyasha asked, waiting for her reply. Emiko shook her head.

"I don't even know myself yet"

"You don't like Huyana, do you?"

"What makes you say that?" Emiko asked, quicker than she intended to.

"I have my ways. But tell me, do you like Huyana?"

Emiko laughed at Inuyasha's serious face, and headed back towards the group.

Kagome looked up from her textbook when she heard Emiko laughing. "Everything okay?"

Inuyasha sat next to her and put his arm around her. "Yeah, she'll be fine" he said as he watched Emiko sit next to Miroku and Huyana. She whispered something in Miroku's ear. Whatever she said was enough to get a leer from him and a poke in the stomach. Huyana smiled at her and said somthing. Emiko began to blush when he talked, which earned a comment from Miroku. She just grinned happily and laid back in the tall grass to watch the clouds roll by. This is much better she thought If I had known that telling Daddy would make it easier I would have done it ages ago...then again he wouldn't talk to me after it happened. He might have if you had tried harder to talk to him her conscience said as she closed her eyes and dozed off content for the first time in 30 years.