InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Darling Emiko ❯ Cold Goodbyes and New Begginings ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
They all sat around Emiko looking down at her worriedly. Her right side was badly burned, as was some of her neck and thigh. She was breathing slowly and evenly, but still hadn't woken up. It has been two days since they defeated Naraku.

Everyone was recovered from their injures. Kagome's miko powers took all of the dark magic Naraku had put into her when he touched her, out. Shippo was also healed entirly, just like Inuyasha was, well almost. Huyana and Inuyasha were both physiclly healed, but emotionally was a different story.

"Kaede-san, are you sure she'll be okay?" Kagome asked the old woman for the fifth time that day.

Kaede sighed, she knew how worried they all were. "I don't know, she will wake up when she is ready."

Kagome nodded, she knew that was what was going to be said, but she still hoped that the answer would change. Inuyasha stood up, "I'm going for a walk." he said tiredly and walked out. Kagome looked up and watched him walk out and decided to follow him.

"Inuyasha!" she cried as she caught up to him. He looked over at her sadly.

"I wish I could do something, or could've done somthing," he said "but I can't, and I didn't. I hate not being able to do anything." Kagome nodded and hugged him.

"I know. And it's not your fault. What happened happened. None of us could change it." she said as she hugged him tightly.

Kaede had left to check on a little girl that had fallen and broken her leg yesterday. Miroku looked down at Emiko's still face. "She'll be okay." Sango said softly. "You should go for a walk to get some air, come on, I'll come with you." And grabbing his arm, she gently pulled him up and walked him out of the house. Emiko would have loved to see this. Miroku said mentally. Please wake up soon Emiko.

Emiko could feel herself floating around in a sea of gray mists. She knew that everyone was worried about her, but she didn't want to leave yet. She was in peace for the first time in years and to go back meant that she would lose what little peace she had.

"You know you have to go back" a small voice said to her. Emiko sighed and nodded.

"I know, if I don't, I'll die. I can't sleep forever."

"Remember your future...your daughter...the happiness you will have." the voice whispered. And she started her slow way back to consciousness. She moaned softly as she felt her head pounding. She tried to move her fingers and found that they were numb. Then as she slowly got used to the feel of her body again, her eye twitched open and she squinted at the light streaming through the window.

She tried again and managed to lift her hand up to put it on her forehead. Or at least that was the plan. What really happened was she raised her hand and it fell forward to slap herself in the face.

She yelped in pain as her hand connected with her face.

"Ow!" she moaned softly and felt someone grab her hand and look into her face.

"Emiko!! You're awake!" it was Huyana.

She sighed again. "Yeah, something like that. Gods, I feel like I've been hit by a Mac truck. Did you get the plate number?" she asked jokingly. Her voice was quiet and hoarse.

He looked at her confused for a second and ran out of the house. Oh good one, scare him off why don't you? she thought as she pushed herself up into a sitting position. She looked down and saw that she was wearing a new shirt and the skirt to Kagome's uniform. Good, at least I don't have to try to leave naked she thought and tried to stand.

She felt her side feel rather weird, like it was made of plastic or something, and she looked down. Her sides were badly burned and were still healing. Great, something else for Daddy to bother me over she said mentally. She frowned at that and leaned against the wall to try to catch her breath. Just then Kagome and Inuyasha ran in.

"Emiko!" Kagome cried and ran over to hug her. Emiko returned the hug weakly. "Hi Kagome." she said, her voice a tad bit better sounding.

"Glad to see you finally woke up." Inuyasha said softly and Emiko flashed to victory sign.

"Yeah, well, sometimes a person just needs time off." she said with a small smile and pushed herself from the wall.

Inuyasha grabbed her arm and forced her to sit back down. "What the hell are you trying to do!" he yelled at her.

Emiko looked at him calmly. "I'm obviously trying to leave," she said softly. "I did what I was asked, I owe you nothing now." she said coldly like Sesshomaru and ripped her arm out of his grasp.

Kagome looked at her sadly, "What exactly was your obligation?" she asked.

"Easy, I was to help kill Naraku and save Sango and Miroku from being killed by him." she said matter-of-factly.

"You came back, to save us?" Miroku asked from the doorway. Emiko smiled slightly then made her face go blank.

"Yeah, that's why I came back. Mom wanted her friends to have a life after the search for the shards was over. Dad wanted it too...although he didn't admit it in that way. I did what I was asked so now it's time for me to go." With that she stood up with more success this time.

Huyana looked at her slightly hurt. Inuyasha and Kagome looked a little shocked at her cold attitude now. Sorry guys, but it's easier this way for everyone involved she thought.

She walked over to wear her kwan dao stood in the corner next to what was left of her bag. She reached inside the bag and pulled out her money purse. She opened it up and pulled out a fistful of Yen notes. She handed them all to Kagome. "For your ruined uniform." she said shortly and handed her the kwan dao. "In case you need it" she said and walked over to Kagome's bag. Reaching inside she pulled out the compact that contained the pictures of her family. She then turned and went to walk out of the house.

Huyana stood in the doorway blocking her. "Please move out of my way." Emiko said softly.

"No, I think...no I know we have to talk before you leave." Mostly everyone was a little taken aback at Huyana's command to Emiko.

She looked at him, her eyes starting to tear up a little. She squinted them slighty to make her look like she was angry, but it was really so her tears would be less noticable. "No, I have nothing more to say, now I'll say it again, please move out of my way."

He glared at her, "No, what will you do, hit me?" she smiled sadly.

"No, I'll just do this," and shutting her eyes she phased out and was standing on the other side of him. Her face was pale from the energy it took to teleport even that far. Without a word she turned and walked from the village.

"Emiko! Stop!" Huyana called behind her. She ignored him and continued to walk.

Inuyasha went to yell at Emiko and Kagome held his arm. "No, don't say anything, we'll follow them, but I think he has stuff he wants to say to her." Inuyasha looked down at Kagome's serious face and nodded. They then followed after Emiko and Huyana. Miroku and Sango were standing outside the hut.

"Has he had a crush on her this whole time?" Sango said more to herself than Miroku, who nodded. "Wow, I never would have guessed. I guess I sort of owe her an apoligy then."

"What do you mean?" Miroku asked.

"Well, I sort of disliked her because I thought she liked you..." Sango sort of trailed off at the end. Miroku raised an eye brow without looking like he was the victor. "She could have distracted you from your mission." Sango added in, her cheeks turning a rose color.

Huyana walked ahead and stopped in front of Emiko. "Please Emiko, listen to me" he said and grabbed her arms.

"Huyana, I don't want to stand in the way of your future anymore." she said softly. "You have your life now, and I had now qualms with doing that for you. I wanted to, not because of my mom and dad but because of you." She said and looked at him, her eyes tearing up again.

He gently touched her cheek with his hand, wiping away the tears that were now running freely. "What I wanted to say is that, I love you Emiko. I don't want to be without you." and he leaned forward and kissed her gently.

Kagome smiled and poked Inuyasha. Inuyasha nodded and they walked back to the village quietly.

"Huyana," Emiko said breaking the kiss, "I love you too, but I'm afraid. I've been in love before, and it almost killed me when he died. I don't know if I would want to do that again." She said softly while looking at him.

"You don't have to worry about me dying anytime soon Emiko. I will never leave you alone in this world, in any world. I knew of your pain the day I saw your face. You had a past that needed to be healed, and now it is. But you have captured my heart while doing it." Huyana's tone turned a little more happy "I'm going to live just as long as you. Do you think you can handle me?"

She couldn't help it, she burst out laughing. "I think, maybe I can." she said and leaned forward and kissed him.