InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ My Devotion ❯ Of Explanations and Forgiveness ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
is quite a long chapter for me. I didn't want to cut it off before that point so I'm sorry if it took me a long time to update. Add school to the mix and I say I did pretty well for myself. Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

Shippo was the first of the two to awaken. The air around him felt charged and full of static. When he opened his eyes, he found the cause. Souten was sapping energy from either half of the Thunder Pike in her hands. Shippo could see the electricity coursing down her arms and wrapping down her body.

“Souten?”

Her eyes immediately flew open but they were an electric blue instead of their usual striking red.

“Souten? Can you hear me?”

She blinked once more and the current of electricity stopped, her eyes returning to their original color as she sat up and stretched as if after a long nap. She soon recognized Shippo and the memories came flooding back. She might have yelled at him right then if she hadn’t seen his eyes dart to and from her face. Following the direction of his eyes, she came to notice the diagonal slash that split her garment, showing off far too much skin.

“Shippo, you pervert!” She clamped both hands over her chest to shield herself from his view.

He picked up the drawing of himself, now spattered in blood, and held it out in front of himself like a shield. “Let’s not be too hasty.”

She shot a bolt at the paper and it disintegrated into ashes in his hands. “Why would you destroy something so nice?”

She didn’t know if he was referring to the drawing or himself. However, she did know that he was the most narcissistic and infuriating man she had ever met. That helped her to make her decision. Feeling around beside her with her right hand for something she could throw at him, she came upon the bottom half of her most prized possession.

Her eyes began to burn as tears pricked at the edges of her eyes and grew, threatening to fall, as she accepted its state.

“Shippo…THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!”

He heard every word dripping with murder as they parted with her lips and began edging cautiously away from her and towards the door. Knowing she expected some kind of explanation he tried a rational response. “Uuh…we can fix this.” It only seemed to enrage her more than he thought possible.

“If you hadn’t been in here snooping around, then I never would have opened the case and it wouldn’t be broken. So by all means Shippo, tell me: how we’re going to fix this?”

He continued moving as he contemplated his options. He could run for it but he’d never get away before she had at least enough time to focus a well-placed bolt at him. And, he supposed he really did owe her an explanation as to how it could be made whole again. There was just one problem: he didn’t know how to fix shafts or swords or sheaths. Sheaths? Wait…yes, InuYasha’s sheath had been broken at one point. Oh, but that was so long ago and he couldn’t recall how exactly it came to be fixed. “InuYasha would know how to fix it.”

“Reeaaally?” She was skeptical to say the least. She saw him edging towards the door and knew that he would do anything to save his own skin.

“Yeah.”

She seemed to slow her descent momentarily before deciding to stop. Perhaps she would let him live if only to figure out if he was telling the truth.

“You had better not be lying or, mark my words, you will regret the day you met me.”

“I’m not bluffing.”

“For your sake I hope that’s the truth,” she said as she brushed past him and opened the door. She was met with the sight of all her guests clothed in rags. It was easy to guess what had happened.

“Where’s Rin?” asked a very peeved half-demon.

“What’s wrong?”

“God you’re thick! That wench killed Kagome and everyone else! Even you!”

“Oh InuYasha, stop it! We’re all fine now so I don’t see what the problem is. That’s not the first time my life has been in danger.”

“No, but it was the first time that you actually lost it.”

“It’s not her fault. Rin wasn’t herself,” Souten pleaded with them.

“I’ll say!”

“I saw very well that she wasn’t human InuYasha, I’m not stupid. But it wasn’t her who did those things. This is just very confusing. How did she even become a demon?”

Those with a heightened hearing perception jumped at the sound of knuckles colliding with wood.

“Why don’t you ask her?”

She sighed and asked of them, “Change and meet me at the door.”

----------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

Souten was the one to open the door. Though she heard many voices behind the door and occasional sit commands, Souten kept the door firmly planted and acted indifferent to it.

“Rin.”

“I came back to explain and to beg your forgiveness.”

“Well someone needs to do some explaining!” she heard InuYasha yell.

“SIT!”

“I suppose I owe everyone an explanation…” Souten’s silence was unnerving in itself. Usually when she was angry you couldn’t stop her from fuming and screaming every profanity known to man. Worse, her silence meant she was upset.

“Can I come in?”

“Dining hall,” she muttered before disappearing into the castle. Rin followed after she completed the arduous task of closing the heavy door. She was already far behind them and the physical gap between them mirrored the wedge that had been shoved between them when she betrayed their trust. She just hoped that she could atone for it.

When she reached the dining room everyone else was already seated and seven pairs of eyes watched her intently As she took her place at the end of the table.

“Well?”

“InuYasha!” chided Kagome.

“No, Kagome. It’s all right. I owe everyone here an explanation and I don’t blame him for being short with me.”

“Why don’t you start from the beginning?” suggested the sad-eyed Thunder demon.
Rin knew that she had hurt them all much more than just physically and knowing that, in turn, hurt her.

“This all began when Lord Sesshoumaru–”

“What about Sesshoumaru?”

“InuYasha, that’s enough!”

“I don’t know. Things were just different. It seemed as if he decided that he didn’t need me anymore. So Souten decided to take me back to Laimei Valley with her.” She looked at her friend, silently asking to tell the whole story; the part that involved the others. Souten nodded in agreement. “However, before we departed, Souten and I had a bit of a contest: my sword: Hinotsume against her weapon of choice: the Thunder Pike. That’s when I noticed that a shard of the Shikon Jewel was embedded in its shaft.”

“What! You mean you had it the whole time? Wench!”

“Rin, why wouldn’t you give it to us? You know how long we had been looking for it.”

“It was not my decision to make.”

“Rin watched as she was set free from their gaze as they turned to the other end of the table.

“What!” yelled Souten.

“Thunder Demon scum,” InuYasha muttered.

“How dare you?” Souten screamed as she rose to her feet and her eyes sparked blue, “You killed my brothers! The least I deserved was my inheritance as the last of my kind!”

“Why don’t we allow Rin to continue with her story?”

“I agree my dear Sango. Besides, this problem may be resolved by it.”

Souten sat down slowly before Rin decide to continue. “So we left and came here. But that was only half of the reason why I decide to leave. I haven’t told this to anyone but I began hearing the voice of a demon calling to me. It followed me here.” She waited, seeing many bulging eyes before continuing. “It knew I was upset and after I came here I became more miserable than ever. I wanted to go back, but I left without telling him. I needed to prove to him that I was worth the trouble. I didn’t think he’d want me back otherwise. I didn’t think he’d want me at all for that matter.

“Then the voice came again an made me a deal. He would grant me demonic power in exchange for the Shikon Jewel. What I didn’t know is that I wouldn’t be able to function of my own free will. I was merely a puppet.”

“You knew about Naraku,” stated InuYasha.

“All I knew of him was very disrespectful to Lord Sesshoumaru and very dangerous, nothing more. I ended up killing all of you and for that I’m truly sorry.”

“Damn right!”

“Try to understand. Kagome, you must know what I was going through. I was desperate. I felt like a part of my own heart was missing…because it was with him.”

“I understand,” said Kagome.

“Of course Sango and I understand too,” added Miroku.

“I don’t understand how someone could like Sesshoumaru.”

“I don’t understand how someone could like you, dog boy…but I do.”

“Kagome…”

“Oh, don’t act so surprised.”

“But that’s not the whole story,” interrupted Miroku with his monk’s wisdom.

“No. I left the castle. Sesshoumaru was there and I was so ashamed that I forced the demons to leave. I died and was left to make another choice. Midoriko and I spoke–”

“Midoriko?” they all asked in unison.

“Yes. Midoriko and I are the same yet different. We are one, yet two apart. I am the reincarnation of the Priestess Midoriko.” Rin lifted her head so all of them got a clear look at her and the symbol that had once adorned Midoriko’s forhead. “She gave me a choice to become human or demon. If I chose the latter I would be in complete control of myself.”

“But you chose to be human. Why?” asked Souten.

“The purity of the Shikon Jewel was in consequence. If I had chosen to become a demon, the Jewel would have become tainted beyond repair. By choosing this form, the Jewel was purified.”

“Where is the Jewel?” asked Kagome gently.

“I purified it. It’s gone.”

“What do you mean it’s GONE!”

“It turned to dust in my hands. What do you want me to say InuYasha?”

“First you slaughtered everyone and then you get rid of the Jewel that we found!”

“It was never your burden to bear. It has always been mine.”

“You wench!”

“InuYasha! SIT!”

“Kagome, it seems to me that with the Jewel gone, there is no need to protect or purify it anymore. It looks like we finally get a break.”

“I never thought about it that way.”

“Hey, I had my uses for it you know,” whined the half-demon.

“We can always find other means.”

“Like what!”

“Correct me if I’m wrong, didn’t Midoriko have the same capabilities as the Shikon Jewel?” asked the monk.

“Yes. And I fully intend on repaying you for any trouble I caused. That is if you’ll accept it…”

“I guess I don’t really have a choice now do I? Maybe some other time,” said InuYasha with his arms folded over his chest.

“Does this mean that I am forgiven?” They all nodded in agreement.

“Where are you going, InuYasha?” asked Kagome.

“The Jewel is gone so what reason is there for us to be here?”

“All of you feel free to go pack. We’re done here,” said Souten.

---------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

Rin had finished packing most of her things when she heard someone step up to her door. Pausing momentarily, she went back to her current task.

“So I guess this means Sesshoumaru isn’t as dumb as he looks.”

“Of course not. He’s Sesshoumaru after all,” Rin joked.

“I’ll miss you.”

“You could always come spend some time with me if–”

“Ha! We saw how well that worked last time.”

Rin rose to her feet, closing the distance between them to wrap Souten in her embrace. “I’ll miss you too. And thank you. Thank you for everything.”

“Hey, you still owe me for breaking the Thunder Pike.”

“I completely forgot! I’m sooooo sorry!” she cried squeezing tighter.

The fact that she already pinned it on Shippo wasn’t important at the moment. “Hey, don’t worry about it. I’ve already got it covered. Now hurry and finish packing, the others are almost ready too.”

“And Shippo?”

“I…I’m not sure.”

“I’m sure it will work out. Don’t worry, I can feel it.”

“Thank you Rin. I’m going to try and find Shippo before he leaves.”

“Good Luck.”

----------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

After a short period of time Souten found Shippo waiting for her in her room.

“Shippo.”

“Souten.”

“I wanted to see you before you left…Are you leaving?”

“Yes.” He had to turn his head away so he wouldn’t see the look on her face and loose his resolve.

“Oh.”

“Someone has to make sure that Kagome and InuYasha get on the right track.” The response he got to this comment was a sarcastic and stifled laugh.

“Will you come back?” she asked. He looked deep into her eyes and saw the pleading. Her heart was open now, but the wall that separated her from everyone would just as soon go back up to spare herself the pain.

He pulled her to him and crushed his lips against hers. She let out a sigh of relief before responding. She wanted to stay this way with him forever. She wished they never had to part for one minute, but the silent promise on his lips filled her with hope.
They parted and left through the front gate to watch the sun rise together.

-------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

“Good-bye Rin and good luck.”

“Thank you Sango.”

After they had all met for a silent breakfast, everyone had agreed that Rin should be seen off first. Though part of that did have something to do with Souten and Shippo, she was happy to give them just a little bit more time together. She lifted into the air on Ah-Un and with a wave, headed back towards the one place that she called home and the demon that was there waiting for her.

------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Just keep in mind I'd like to see 100 reviews by the time this is complete.